• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One of the most beautiful stages of the Camino Frances

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, it is very beautiful! Both times I walked it I had perfect weather...sunshine and coolish/warm temperatures in early May. Thanks for refreshing my memories with your pictures.

Yes, it is very beautiful! Both times I walked it I had perfect weather...sunshine and coolish/warm temperatures in early May. Thanks for refreshing my memories with your pictures.

Having said it is a beautiful stage, so is most of the route. Glad it triggered good old memories

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for this, @Leon RSA. I had to taxi this stage - because of various reasons - so it is delightful to read some of what I missed, plus some of your interactions with fellow pilgrims. Actually, the taxi dropped me off at Albergue la Escuela in Laguna, where we were booked for the night and which you mentioned had been your intended accommodation. I spent several delightful hours in that little village watching the resident dogs vying for their self-determined turf supremacy, and keeping out of the way of cattle farmers going through the one narrow street taking their charges to pasture, all the while watching out for my camino companions who were trekking up the hill.

I will never forget the sight - and thunder! - of the cattle charging off the road down the steep, narrow path which was obviously familiar to them. I thanked my lucky stars I hadn’t decided to go exploring that trail and been met by them barrelling their way down that narrow path.

Dessert at Albergue la Escuela. I've forgotten the name of that delicious cheese, but it's a specialty of the area.
Camino 234.jpgCamino 236.jpgCamino 242.jpg

The first 10K not so fun, unless you like guardrails and highways .... the balance is wonderful.

The first 10K not so fun, unless you like guardrails and highways .... the balance is wonderful.

Hi Cayou,

next time try the camino duro, which turns off to the right shortly after passing the bridge in Villafranca. A short steep ascent and you will be high above the valley, guardrails and highways.
Very beautiful alternative.

Just continue climbing the ramp on the right side.

It will rejoin the camino frances in the village of Trabadelo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Cayou,

next time try the camino duro, which turns off to the right shortly after passing the bridge in Villafranca. A short steep ascent and you will be high above the valley, guardrails and highways.

😊 Looking now at Brierley’s, that’s the route I had planned to try if I had been able to walk.

Hi Cayou,

We actually walked up it for about 1/2k the night before. Absolutely on our list!

Hi Cayou,

If you look in the top left hand corner on page 1 of my attached document, you will see a hyperlink called "Route". Click on that and you can see on Google Maps the route I followed, .

Not too sure if that is the same route you referred to
Camineiro, but I loved the walk and enjoyed the scenery very much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, lovely memories. I was there on the 17th August (49th wedding anniversary) last year and they were preparing St Maria church for a wedding later that afternoon so I lit a big fat red candle for my dear husband RIP20190817_101536.jpg20190817_101904.jpg

For me personally, the walk from Hornillos del Camino to Hontanas, with a coffee/beer break there, then San Anton, where there has been an outdoor cafe in recent years, and then on to Castrojeriz and the end of the day, enjoying the views over the valley with some refreshments in (another) outside cafe, is a highlight day for me.

Last edited:
I have tried to decide upon my favourite day but having reviewed them all it has proved impossible. However I have been able to decide upon my favourite overnight stays, whilst some of the large cities have wonderful cathedrals to visit my favourite two were Calzadilla de la Cueza for being able to sit and watch the sun go down in peace and quiet and O Cebreiro for the views.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
my favourite two were Calzadilla de la Cueza for being able to sit and watch the sun go down in peace

Wow! It's one of my favourite places too. There is absolutely nothing there . . . . but every time I go through something memorable happens . . .

Thank you, lovely memories. I was there on the 17th August (49th wedding anniversary) last year and they were preparing St Maria church for a wedding later that afternoon so I lit a big fat red candle for my dear husband RIPView attachment 81708View attachment 81710

What a peacful and relaxing way to sit down with your momories of a lifetime shared with him. God bless you.

Beautiful/favorite days on the Camino Frances...
At least 10 come immediately to mind for their own delicious reasons. Like with one's children, you can't choose.

What I can say is that on any camino, my favorite day is the first one, and my least favorite day is the last one, no matter how beautiful they are or aren't.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For me personally, the walk from Hornillos del Camino to Hontanas, with a coffee/beer break there, then San Anton, where there has been an outdoor cafe in recent years, and then on to Castrojeriz and the end of the day, enjoying the views over the valley with some refreshments in (another) outside cafe, is a highlight day for me.
How on earth do you get to do so many Caminos??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Cayou,

i took that route in 2018 - the hardest day in three caminos.... and I loved it!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back