• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Small Step(Several Large Wines!)

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
After several delays due to a few health issues, me and my wife have three weeks booked off work to walk from Lisbon to Porto next May. We were originally planning to walk Porto to SDC and then bolting on the SDC to Finisterre but liked the idea of Lisbon-Porto being less busy. We also fancy going back and continuing from Porto -Santiago at a later date.
I did the Camino in 2016 from SJPDP to Santiago, and returned in 2017 with my wife and walked from Roncenvalles to Burgos - so between us we have at least some idea on what to expect/pack etc. Any advice on what might catch us out would be great though.
I am just opening Michel Thomas's Foundation Portugese in preparation and planning to experiment with various cheese and port combinations over the coming months . Wish me luck with both.
Looking forward to some responses
Frank &Jules

A selection of Camino Jewellery
After several delays due to a few health issues, me and my wife have three weeks booked off work to walk from Lisbon to Porto next May. We were originally planning to walk Porto to SDC and then bolting on the SDC to Finisterre but liked the idea of Lisbon-Porto being less busy. We also fancy going back and continuing from Porto -Santiago at a later date.
I did the Camino in 2016 from SJPDP to Santiago, and returned in 2017 with my wife and walked from Roncenvalles to Burgos - so between us we have at least some idea on what to expect/pack etc. Any advice on what might catch us out would be great though.
I am just opening Michel Thomas's Foundation Portugese in preparation and planning to experiment with various cheese and port combinations over the coming months . Wish me luck with both.
Frank &Jules

did the Porto to SDC some years ago and have the Lisbon connection in my mind! I believe the signage has improved a lot but there is still a lot of roadwork. Don't know about the cheese and port but the grilled sardines and lots of Ro`se helped a lot. :) My favourite stretch is from Valencia to Tui. I am a sucker for bridges and there is quite a long one there. Amazing the difference I felt crossing from one country to another. I definitely knew when I was in Spain! Buen Camino. :)

The Malingerer.

Any advice on what might catch us out would be great though.

I liked that stretch - but I don't mind walking among cars. Just bring something very bright that will help the drivers see you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any advice on what might catch us out would be great though.

I had a wonderful walk from Lisbon to Santiago in May 2017 - flatter than many other Caminos, but OMG the cobblestones are a killer if you are wearing zero-drop shoes (Altra Lone Peak 3.5). If ever I repeated the journey then I'd definitely wear something more spongier. Whatever you decide you'll love the landscapes, people, food and the quietness.
Buen Camino

Agree entirely about the cobbles .
Tui great , but for three brothers and a nephew the night we spent in the workers bar in Redondela will always be our favourite memory of the portugese Way.
Have a great Camino

I walked the Lisbon to SDC in 2017. Lots of cobblestones as others have said, more road walking and the first few days out of Lisbon are no great shakes scenically. It gets better as you go. The first day out of Lisbon you should start really early if you are going to go to Alpriate. There are some hotels. My friend stayed at one as you enter the town across from the gas station. If you are staying in the albergue it is nice (heard it was renovated) but it doesn't have a lot of beds. They do call the church for overflow. Not sure where those pilgrims go. The people in Portugal are the nicest people I have ever met in my life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Frank and Jules, thumbs up to your decision on opening Michel Thomas, together with the cheese and port of course!
Michel Thomas for me has the very best way to learn languages ... his style doesn't suit all but, for those of you who'd like to learn some languages before you go anywhere, please do try it. A very different way of learning.

Frank &Jules
Have a super adventure with walking, wine and cheese. And do check out Pastel de Nata - they can be very very very good - if you like sweets :)

Frank &Jules
I did Lisbon to Santiago in 2017 and repeated the Porto to Santiago bit this year with my wife. No pilgrims at all until after Tui (same experience noted by other pilgrims this year) empty Albergues but conversation was lacking. Enjoyed it though, good walking and good food. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did Lisbon to Santiago in 2017 and repeated the Porto to Santiago bit this year with my wife. No pilgrims at all until after Tui (same experience noted by other pilgrims this year) empty Albergues but conversation was lacking. Enjoyed it though, good walking and good food. Buen Camino.
What time of year did you walk? I did Porto to Santiago last year in October and there was no shortage of pilgrims between Porto and Tui.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.