• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One stamp or two. Even if its not the minimum distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunsta

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 Portuguese 2023 Ingles 2023
OK. Now I know this topic may have come up many times. And I tried the search engine. But didnt come up with a definitive answer. So Im going to ask it anyway.
Now I did the Camino Frances back it 2015. Doing the whole journey from SJPdP to SdC. Upon reaching O`Cebreio, conversation came up about having ones pilgrims passport stamped twice a day for the last 110km from Sarria. Now I know it has to be stamped twice a day if one is doing the minimum distance. But there was differing views on whether those that had completed the longer journey needed to do this as well. As It was, many of us that were traveling together. Only got one stamp a day (I do remember getting two on one particular day. Only as it was a cool place to stop). But basically only got one. And had no problems getting our Compostela`s.
So basically Im currently in conversation with someone about the Camino Portuguese now, who says all pilgrims regardless of the distance they have travelled. Must get two stamps for the last 100km (yes 200km if on a bike). And yes again, I know you have to for the minimum distance.
So which is it? One stamp or two?
Thank you for your answers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technically you must get two stamps the last 100km. I'm sure there is some source on some website, but let's just take it as a given.
Not so technically, the people working the office are people. If I was to be the guy working the desk and to be handed a credential that was started 1 month and 800km back down the road, i would not look all that hard if there are two stamps a day for the last stretch...
Matter of fact, this year with the office being pretty busy, they did hardly look at all before handing me the compostela.

Yes, if you want a Compostela you have to get two stamps a day for the last 100km into Santiago on a recognised route, regardless of how far you have walked to that point.

That some people manage to get their Compostela without the two stamps a day is a matter of luck, not the rules.

From the pilgrims office website:

You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

If it is important to someone to get the Compostela, then better not to take the risk. So many places to get stamps that it is easy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I find it very unlikely that if you have 2 stamps a day for the last 100 km but only 1 a day before that, then they will refuse you a compostela. That would be very inconsistent and utterly illogical in view of the fact that somebody with no stamps at all except 2 a day for the last 100 km would be issued with a compostela, no questions asked.

But don't take my word for it. I am sure someone who works at the pilgrim office will enlighten us.

Technically you must get two stamps the last 100km. I'm sure there is some source on some website, but let's just take it as a given.
Not so technically, the people working the office are people. If I was to be the guy working the desk and to be handed a credential that was started 1 month and 800km back down the road, i would not look all that hard if there are two stamps a day for the last stretch...
Matter of fact, this year with the office being pretty busy, they did hardly look at all before handing me the compostela.
I do see your point about them being busy. The day we arrived. The line ups were hundreds long.
Cheers

I find it very unlikely that if you have 2 stamps a day for the last 100 km but only 1 a day before that, then they will refuse you a compostela. That would be very inconsistent and utterly illogical in view of the fact that somebody with no stamps at all except 2 a day for the last 100 km would be issued with a compostela, no questions asked.

But don't take my word for it. I am sure someone who works at the pilgrim office will enlighten us.
I'm not entirely sure the Compostela or anything much to do with the shrine of St James is based on logic!

But my reading is that if you have 2 stamps a day for the last 100km, walk a recognised route into Santiago, do so for religious or spiritual reasons for at least an attitude of search, then you get the Compostela. You could walk 10,000 km to that point without getting a single stamp, or ten a day, it is irrelevant. Only the last 100km (or 200 if by bike) count.

The Certificate of Distance is different. " It indicates the day and the starting point of the pilgrimage, the kilometres covered, as well as the day of arrival and the route of the pilgrimage. It can also be requested by those who have made the pilgrimage before".

The last sentence suggests one should only get a Compostela for the first pilgrimage, which is news to me. I and many other members have multiple Compostelas.

The Spanish version of the website, in the explanation about the Certificate of Distance, says one must fulfil "the same conditions as those required for the Compostela" but I'm sure that one stamp a day would be sufficient, up to the last 100km, when I'd be getting two.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Certificate of Distance is different. " It indicates the day and the starting point of the pilgrimage, the kilometres covered, as well as the day of arrival and the route of the pilgrimage. It can also be requested by those who have made the pilgrimage before". The last sentence suggests one should only get a Compostela for the first pilgrimage, which is news to me. I and many other members have multiple Compostelas.
The Certificate of Distance was introduced in 2014. I think that the sentence simply informs pilgrims who walked before 2014 that they, too, can request a certificate for the distance they had walked then. Eight years later this sentence has little information value because people get their Compostela and their distance certificate at the same time but the maintenance and updating of the website of the Pilgrim Office appears occasionally as a bit haphazard.

I have no objection to collecting sello impressions on my credencials. It is an enjoyable way to collect memories.

The problem that I have experienced, twice, is an insufficiency of space on the SdC Pilgrim's Office official credencials for one stamp per day from SJPdP to Sarría, plus two stamps per day from Sarría to SdC. Even when I take great care to squeeze them as close together as possible without overlap, there is not enough space. I experienced the same problem, Lisboa to SdC.

I wish the official credencials had an additional two blank folding panels (i.e. four blank pages).

IMO the price charged by the SdC Pilgrim's Office for blank official credencials is reasonable, and I would not mind paying a little bit more to have two more panels / four more pages.

No-one is confined to one credentiale, or to the existing layout. When I have run out of space I pick up a second along the way, cut off the front page and glue it to the existing credentiale. I have done that many times. Other people get stamps on a blank piece of paper and glue that inside.

The thing to be aware of is not to get a "final" stamp in your credentiale until you reach the Pilgrims Office.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back