• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ONE thing I wish I had taken, ONE thing I wish I had NOT...

aussieval

Hi everyone, I'm off to SJPP May 18th to walk up to Santiago. I'm in the final stage of deciding which items I'll definitely take and which ones will have to stay... Just wondering what people who have already done the walk, or who are in the middle of it, have to say... in retrospect :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You may wish to check these threads

Smart packing and unexpected backpack items : equipment-questions/topic8023.html

What was your biggest mistake :
el-camino-frances/topic7913.html

Somewhat similar to your question.

As for me, I wish I had a lighter sleeping bag. The one I had with me was too warm (and heavy) and I had used it only twice through the entire walk.

I carried a couple of Spanish phase books and a small dictionary, which did not see the light of day. But hey, they could have come in handy!

Enjoy your preparations, and buen camino.
Rebecca

I agree re the light sleeping bag (up to 1 kg). Yopu MUST take a head net for the flies, Vaseline for the feet, and a poncho. Read my post "Did it" on 5 November after I finished the camino.
Have fun!
Philip

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the Camino now....I wish I had taken a lighter sleeping bag (still might buy one in Burgos) and left half my stuff at home. :) This was a hard trip to pack for because I am going around the world after the Camino. If I was just doing the Camino, it would have been much easier. Take everyone's advice and pack LIGHT. If I was just doing the Camino, my starting pack weight would have been perfect.

However, make sure you have a good foot care first aid kit because you will need it. You CANNOT get everything you need at the pharmacies here. Prices and stock vary from town to village and I am having trouble finding sport tape right now.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I once saw a pair of very high heeled red party shoes at roncevalles so that might be something to leave out!

seriously, they have shops in spain so don't worry too much. maybe think about whatever you can't buy there - being english i like to take some tea bags, after a week or two i start to really need a good cup of tea!

Take about 4 oz. of isopropyl alcohol. It cleans and dries feet, kills germs, and removes a lot of adhesives.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leave the mobile phone at home ?

A small light simple dragstring bag is so useful to carry shopping, and other stuff in the afternoons, or in the shower or whatever.

I WISH I HAD TAKEN : At the beginning, I missed a second fleece shirt (beginning of May on rainy days).
I WISH I HAD NOT : too much expectations how things should be. And a flight back ticket instead of being totally free...

Wish i had taken: lightweight walking shoes rather than full leather tramping boots (bought some in logrono)
Wish i hadn't taken: tent (i was travelling europe after camino so needed it- ended up posting to santiago from logrono)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A small light simple dragstring bag is so useful to carry shopping, and other stuff in the afternoons, or in the shower or whatever.

Last time I took a Kathmandu shoulder bag - to carry things on the plane and to use at the end of the day for shopping etc etc. Bought an Onya shoulder bag (they also do back packs) at the Salamanca markets in Hobart last week - it only wighs about 60 grams, and will hold Camera, book, journal, fleece and parka for the plane and going out after washing up etc.

(I think they have Onya bags at the markets in Perth someone was telling me)

Cheers, Janet

Hi Janet

How much for the onya shoulder bag? I will be in Hobart next week visiting our son so that he can take his mother out for dinner on Mothers Day [and his father too] and will be at the Salamanca markets on the Saturday.

cheers Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just ordered one from here in Canada - they have a Canadian site

http://www.onyabags.ca

The backpack bag was 17.81 plus GST of .89 and 12.81 for shipping. Not bad....

lynne

Hi Alan, I THINK I paid $18, but I can't really remember, there were also little fabric backpacks as well. There were a couple of stalls selling them, but one lady told me that there were also some available from the wilderness shop, which is apparently just around the corner (didn't get there though) - I think it may be in the street where all the food places are. I like the Onya gear - it is light, strong and has a little Aussie flag on it!. Enjoy your family time, Janet

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For us in Europe extremely light weight bags the Reisenthel products see here http://www.reisenthel-shop.eu/mini+maxi/?lang=1&pgNr=2 the small one (mini maxi shopper) for € 4.95 and the bigger one(mini maxi shopper large) for €9.95. mini maxi rucksacks € 9.95. Saw the rain ponchos € 19.95 also but have no experience of wearing them.
The bags are very reusable and very ligt weight.
annie

I took a light sleeping bag, but it was a bit too light... I was cold many, many times (granted I live in Florida and I was walking in April) So, next year when I go again, I'm spending money on a warmer (light) sleeping bag.

I had taken make-up and ended up ditching it the 3rd day. But when I got to Santiago, I wished I hadn't throw it away. I wanted to feel like a girl again and ended buying new make-up and perfume. So perhaps I will ship things to Santiago -- make-up, jeans, "fresh" clothes.

I also want to take -- and this is a very American thing --a jar of peanut butter. I was craving it and couldn't find any.

sea to summit make the most amazingly cute looking evening pack / day pack
anybody used one?
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/pop/86
ULTRA-SIL™ DAY PACK
Great as a summit pack, carrying groceries when on foot or on a bike or as an extra traveling tote. The tiny packed size fits easily onto your key ring, in a jacket pocket or a purse.

•Packs down small so it easily fits in pockets, purses or luggage
•Simple, streamlined design so it’s light and low profile
•Lightweight 2.4 oz / 68g
•Volume is about 20 Liters
•Siliconized Cordura® for strength and durability
•Bartack reinforced stitching on all stress points
•Two-way zipper closure
Description Capacity Weight
Ultra-Sil Day Pack 20 Liters 2.4 oz / 68g

id appreciate comments and a review

thanks

tamtamplin

dislp38 said:
I also want to take -- and this is a very American thing --a jar of peanut butter. I was craving it and couldn't find any.

I second that! It took me two weeks to figure out that there is no peanut butter in Europe! I am having my sister ship me a jar to my cousins in Italy, where I am heading after the Camino.....

I had found at Super Target peanut butter (Skippy brand?) in plastic tubes (full size, not individual) which was great. I bought 2 and took them with me on the Camino. Found it was a great breakfast with some bread leftover from the day before, especially if there aren't any cafes nearby...

I'm haven't seen them lately, however...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One thing I which I had taken: Ear plugs! Against les ronfleurs, snurkers, snorers, roncars!!!!

The ear plugs were especially missed the last 100 km from Santiago were several grand orchestras of Spanish roncars joined the camino.

One thing I which I hadn't taken: half a kg worth of camping equipment (pot, cutlery). I brought this because my camino buddy insisted on it. He was determined to rough it for a couple of days during the camino (sleeing outside, etc.). Of course we didn't rough it :).
We are in the planning stage of our next camino and already a long discussion has taken place around items meant to support roughing it. I argumented that taken no such items would be the ultimate roughness and he agreed.

I am a huge fan of the hostels they do great work! Altough I did take a sleeping mat and it came in handy a few times when we were forced to sleep with the bombeiros. On our camino we also encountered a person/pilgrim sleeping outside next to the trail in her sleeping bag, all damp from the morning moist only a few miles after our albergue. This really suprised me and reminded me that a good guide and the support of other pilgrims to find the albergues is key to te camino.

I left my fleece at home as I was concerned about the lack of space in my rucksack then I could have kicked myself the next day crossing the pyrenees when the temperatures dropped below freezing. A friend gave me her old one 2 weeks later and it was just the right size, when folded, to go under the single pillow I'd be given in the Albergues to make me more comfy.
I took lots of first aid stuff which took up a fair bit of space and I never needed it, I only had 1 blister (on day 12) and never had any of the rashes, chaffing, illnesses or injuries that I had prepared for. Don't take anything that looks fragile either, you can bet it won't last the distance, buy quality items instead. I also took a precooked meal that I bought in an outdoor store in the UK and ate it in the albergue in Santiago, after I'd returned from Finesterre. Mmmm chilli con carne, it was nice though.

€83,-
Forgot to mention in my previous post, if you like maple syrup you don't seem to be able to buy it in Spain. I left that behind by mistake and I have it on most things so not a happy hector.

jelle said:
One thing I which I had taken: Ear plugs! Against les ronfleurs, snurkers, snorers, roncars!!!!
:eek: lol I know from experience that there is a pharmacy in Viana with a huge range of ear plugs on sale, and a very nice pharmacist who spoke English and helped me choose a pair....
Margaret

I wish I had taken more plasters as these are incredibly expensive in Spain.
I took a small lightweight cable lock (to secure rucksack) but didn't use it once.

My sleeping bag weighed quite a lot, I think about 1.2kg. It was pretty warm, rated to -5 degrees. I was very, very glad that I had it, because I walked in December and in Villafranca del Bierzo the albergue was unheated and that day had been -3 degrees! The night was even colder.

One thing I wish I had taken was my ipod. I know there's a big ipod-or-no-ipod debate, which I read and then decided that I wanted to concentrate on walking while actually walking. But some evenings where I just wanted to relax it would have been really nice to have some music to close my eyes to. Especially with the lack of other pilgrims - I was alone with my walking-friend on quite a few nights.

Another thing I acquired along the way was a third long sleeved shirt/jumper, which I only wore in the evenings. It was soft and comfortable and I needed to get out of my technical, many-times-washed gear towards the end of the camino.

I didn't really take anything I wanted to get rid of. I started out very simply, overall.

Wished I hadn't: packed an extra set of pants...sent those home along with ditching the sleeping pad! Now this year with the crowding..that sleeping pad might not get ditched but, in '08...it was useless weight and space.

Glad I did pack: Coffee in tea like bags. Maxwell HOuse brand I think, and well worth it if you really need to get your eyes open to hit the road! Only brought one per day and so the load got lighter quickly. Not great..but better than no caffeine at all. Hell, even my license tells the cops to check for blood caffeine levels!! I'm not legal w/o it!

Silly thing I didn't regret: One lone tube of mascara. Small, light weight and made me feel like a girl again, as well as preventing the perennial question - are you well, you look sick, or tired, or what ever. One dose of mascara and the questions stop! So it was worth it.

Feeling like planning my packing list now for my next go...as well as continuing to plot my next route,
Wishing you all Buen Camino, Karin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A second fleece each as it was so cold.
The suncream! We only used it on the last 2 days, and even then we could have managed without it.

No doubt if we do that next year we'll have a heatwave and put this the other way round :roll:
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

I was many, many nights happy and warm in my 1,5k down sleepingbag. The days might have been warm and sweaty (march-april 08) but some of the auberges with their 80cm stone walls had never been heated up since winter and they were so cold! This is not the case in summer, of course , instead they keep you cool, but again later in the autumn. I was also glad to have my lightweight gascooker, for coffee and soup on the way and not having to cue for the stove in some auberge kitchens.

The ONE thing I wish I hadn't had was my too initself heavy backpack, it can hide kilos, watch out!
The ONE thing I most wish I'd had with me is more courage and interest to talk to more people.
It's funny to read these posts when somebody feels they talk too much, and then some, too little. In this case I advise you to do the opposite from what you do at home, IF you'd like to find that kind of new perspective on yourself and your life.
I suffered a severe and long Caminoblues afterwards, and like an addict I can't wait to get back in the saddle, now that I think I "know how to do it".
I find the posts in "Fear" very interesting, true and real.
The fear of finding someone too dear for your own good, or finding no one. Or even someone just right! A friend.

Buen Camino. I'd rather be walking too.
Björn ( will soon...)

i think things i shouldn't have brought with me would be

a torch, a compass, my IPhone which was also my MP3, my camera - as the camino taught me to live in the NOW rather than live in the past - if that makes sense.

and things i wouldve brought are

hmmm nothing really, anything i can think of you can buy along the way at small shops. Theres a very good pilgrim shop in Sarria where the owner speaks English. Was really good as my mother's boots had just broken outside the city and we urgently needed new boots and i needed a hat. :)

other than that - smart packing... and LIGHT travelling is great too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sunscreen?

I'm super pale and burn very easily. I'm walking Francés mid-Sept til probably close to the end of October. Should I bring sunscreen? Or just buy it along the way?

Comments?

Buying it over there might be too late. So take a small bottle with you, and buy small refills over there.

Ultreya,

Carli Di Bortolo.

Interresting question!

What I should have brought? I guess those little homeopathic pills called "ARNICA MONTANA 7CH or 9CH" the tube is not bigger that a lipstick and those little pills taken daily do miracles on muscle pain and help your blood circulation... I only discovered them a couple of weeks into my trip but took them religiously everyday and it works!

A pair of very light but very soft and very confortable slippers! After 5 or 6 hours of walking, your feet need pampering!

What I should have not brought?
1) My sleeping mat! Never once unrolled it! when in St-Jean Pied-de-Port (had been walking for 1 month) I felt confident that I would not use it, I decided to give it to the care taker at the hostel, she took it with a grin, then showed me the closet... mats were piled up to the cieling! And that was only a couple month's worth!

2) Peanut butter! 1 kg of peanut butter is 1 kg more weight you have to carry in you backpack! I must have thought I was going into a third world country or something! Hello! It's Europe, they have food there! The funny story about this is that I had left it in my hotel room (in France, road from Tours, there are very few albergues) to have a lighter day...and the owner of the motel drove to meet me with my PB jar thinking I had forgotten it! Great poeple we meet on the camino!

3) Extra clothes. But what I did is I sent that estra clothes to me from me (with love) to the post office in Santiago de Compostella ( you just write "poste restante" on the parcel and when you get to destination, you go pick it up you have clean clothes and you can get rid of your smelly t-shirt that is discolored by the sun!

One last thing! I could not have survived without my Swiss Army knife! You have to get the one with the cork screw though! A little bit of vino tinto, great company and your feet up (in your very comfortable slippers!), what a great way to end a day!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The things I did NOT bring - my life was enriched by the simplicity of my daily life.

If I found I needed something (ie: a corkscrew or a bandaid or to ask the time), I was compelled to reach out to others around me to ask for help. This was a gift. Being a self-sufficient, independent person, I found that asking for assistance or information was a way to connect with others. Reaching out helped me meet connect with people, even if only briefly. There is a stream of humanity making their solitary pilgimages across Spain so reaching out and sharing felt good.

And though I packed very little, I was still able to share what I had with others.

In my opinion, it is not about self-suffciency and independence, but it is about humilty, meekness, and joyful sharing.

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe
Camino May 2009

Hi Ginn,

Totally agree. A lesson I learnt some years ago when all my belongings, including passport and money, were stolen from me whilst travelling by train in India. I learnt what was essential. I thank the thieves for teaching me the most important lesson in life. David

Many thanks for this Ginn. Brought back memories. Years ago my husband and I and our three teenagers were spending a year in France and Spain. Our car was broken into in Marseilles and we were robbed of absolutely everything we had. In the ensuing months without all that "stuff", we all learned powerful lessons about what is needed and what is important.

lynne

The one thing (or two I guess) that I really did not use were my trekking poles. They stayed on my pack the bulk of the time, just adding weight. It was a real hassle packing them for the airlines too (used a tube to check them going and found a box in Finesterra to pack them and check them coming home).

The one thing I had to buy on the Way was a small SD card reader to send photos to friends on the Internet. I assumed most public machines would have a card reader but they didn't. Bought a perfect one in Sarria for 5 euros and now use it all the time.

Rambler

I most certainly didn't need the pair of denim jeans I had with me when I started out (what was I thinking?). They were mailed off, along with my tent and cooking gear, only a few days into the walk.

I would have liked to have brought a small picture picture book or postcard set from where I lived at the time (Central New York) to show people where I was from. There were/are a lot of language gaps in the alburgues that a smile and a few photos can overcome.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
lpino, your post made me laugh.

I totally agree about the peanut butter. I didn't realize how much I ate the stuff until I couldn't find it in Spain. The only city I lucked out and found peanut butter in was Leon. A supermercado close to the monastery I believe.

Ah, I didn't finish the Camino this year but had started in end of September. I was really happy that I had Emergen-C with me to add to my water. A book I had read recommended it. I needed the extra electrolytes. I wish I had brought a pillow case. Several of the alburgues don't have them or you have to pay to use one.

€83,-
For my recent camino I had bought a wide brimmed hat, it would keep the sun of my neck and the side of my face, I was walking in a generally south to north direction. With a few days to go I got a present from my friend in Warsaw, a baseball cap with perfume on it, and letter saying how she would look for my photos with me wearing it :( . The flies loved it, constant swatting and on the fourth day i woke up to find my pillow damp, my neck had blistered and some had burst, I had even been putting sun cream on.
I will take sunglasses next time, I do not like wearing shades, but the constant glare of surfaces was punishing for my eyes.

Wish I had taken - a pair of those infinitely light flip-flops for walking round the refugios and in the showers

Wish I had not - the rucksack I took. I didn't weigh it, later found it was over 4lbs dry and empty - weigh everything AND the rucksack!

It changes every Camino.

2010 Camino. I wish I had taken my ultra lightweight, mini tripod for self portrait pictures. I wish I hadn't taken a sleeping bag. A liner would have been sufficent.

2009 Camino. Another bottle of blood testing strips. I ran out and had two anxious days until the hospital at SdC could find me some that worked with my blood metre. There was nothing I was carrying that I didn't at some point use.

I won't trawl through the other 6 Camino's.

I won't take a fleece-shawl next time (I'll be walking late autumn). Too thick and therefore very uncomfortable combined with my soft-shell jacket.
I'll be wearing a Buff instead, a post-Camino present from a fellow pilgrim in 2008, with Camino print, thanks again, Peter :).
Light-weight, thin, comfy and warm.
https://www.buyabuff.com/

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
It changes every Camino.
....and so it does!
We walked the Camino Francés from Roncesvalles (6th September) to Santiago (8th October) from beginning to end under an almost cloudless sky. Our rain capes were an unnecessary weight. But useful proved to be our umbrella, which thankfully allowed some shade from the midday sun when temperatures soared between 30 and 35 C.
Climate is indeed hardly predictable. If Galicia is supposed to be the rainiest province in Spain, we certainly did not notice it. Unlike other times, when we arrived in Santiago drenched to the bones in early October.
At the time of writing (beginning November) rain and wind in the North of Spain would put off the sturdiest pilgrim!

Telluridewalker said:
I most certainly didn't need the pair of denim jeans I had with me when I started out (what was I thinking?). They were mailed off, along with my tent and cooking gear, only a few days into the walk.

I would have liked to have brought a small picture picture book or postcard set from where I lived at the time (Central New York) to show people where I was from. There were/are a lot of language gaps in the alburgues that a smile and a few photos can overcome.

Good point Telluridewalker which I will do.Take a postcard or two from Iceland.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ksam said:
Wished I hadn't: packed an extra set of pants...sent those home along with ditching the sleeping pad! Now this year with the crowding..that sleeping pad might not get ditched but, in '08...it was useless weight and space.

Glad I did pack: Coffee in tea like bags. Maxwell HOuse brand I think, and well worth it if you really need to get your eyes open to hit the road! Only brought one per day and so the load got lighter quickly. Not great..but better than no caffeine at all. Hell, even my license tells the cops to check for blood caffeine levels!! I'm not legal w/o it!

Silly thing I didn't regret: One lone tube of mascara. Small, light weight and made me feel like a girl again, as well as preventing the perennial question - are you well, you look sick, or tired, or what ever. One dose of mascara and the questions stop! So it was worth it.
Answers my question! i was wondering about that!

Feeling like planning my packing list now for my next go...as well as continuing to plot my next route,
Wishing you all Buen Camino, Karin

Please do not forget the most important item.
A good corkscrew!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buen Camino

Jorge.

I walked May 28 to July 4, finishing two weeks ago today! Glad I did NOT take my sleeping bag but instead just two silk liners. Was only mildly chilled one night. Also glad I took all my fears with me. I left that at Cruz de Ferro; at the foot of the cross!

Wish I would have had....hmmm.....needle and thread maybe. I managed the blisters with what I had, but it might have been a little easier.

Anyway, can't say I needed anything cuz I managed to make it to Santiago with what I did and didn't have, along with the blessings of so many others!!!
Buen Camino! - M :arrow:

MoniRose said:
Anyway, can't say I needed anything cuz I managed to make it to Santiago with what I did and didn't have, along with the blessings of so many others!!!
Buen Camino! - M :arrow:
Glad you made it Monirose, and hope you enjoyed! I know you were a bit nervous at first. :roll: Buen Camino!

Thank you, Tyrrek.....You are sweet to remember me with all the posts! It was an amazing journey!
- M :arrow:

I would take more Steradent tablets ( false teeth cleansing) for what cost me 1 euro in England I had to pay 9 euro in Spain to replace I'm still seething :x
my pet hate on the Camino is the white clad chemists and there little draws,acting as if they are medieval alchemists handing over their magic potions at inflated prices and their inability to understand the word small-"pequeno" "pequeno" I chant.
the one thing I would have left behind was my Englishness
Ian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sagalouts said:
I would take more Steradent tablets ( false teeth cleansing) for what cost me 1 euro in England I had to pay 9 euro in Spain to replace I'm still seething

Lush has a line of solid toothpaste pellets that are great. They're cost as little as £2.00 for 40 which can be cut in half so £2 for 80 brushes and they weigh just 12 grams vs 113 for the 30 Steradent tabs (I looked it up on amazon because I didn't know what it was). That might be something to check out.

https://www.lush.co.uk/content/view/5069

lpino said:
Interresting question!

2) Peanut butter! 1 kg of peanut butter is 1 kg more weight you have to carry in you backpack! I must have thought I was going into a third world country or something! Hello! It's Europe, they have food there!

Even if you come to the third world don´t worry, we have food here - including peanut butter :D :D :D

Spain is modern civilized country, everything you could possibly need is already there. Exceting! My boots require a lace 180 centimeters and are extremely difficultto find in say Melide so I always carry a spare pair which end up doubling as clothesline, tie downs for a tarp, backpack strengtheners, around a poncho against the wind, and a thousand other improvisions-and yes,one is always forgotten lost given or broken so take two extra pairs!

scruffy1 said:
Spain is modern civilized country, everything you could possibly need is already there. Exceting! My boots require a lace 180 centimeters and are extremely difficultto find in say Melide so I always carry a spare pair which end up doubling as clothesline, tie downs for a tarp, backpack strengtheners, around a poncho against the wind, and a thousand other improvisions-and yes,one is always forgotten lost given or broken so take two extra pairs!

This is why I carry a length of small gauge climbing rope. It's great for multiple uses and weighs next to nothing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great idea Vagabonette but you can't lace your boot with climbing rope! Still, I think it is a good idea.

scruffy1 said:
Great idea Vagabonette but you can't lace your boot with climbing rope! Still, I think it is a good idea.

Sure you can. It's small gauge static rope, not body-support rope. So it's the stuff you use to secure gear, etc. The stuff I have is thinner than the average shoelace and stronger. If you get a long length, and break a lace, you can just cut off what you need and keep using the rest and rather than having several shorter lengths you have one long length.

The pic below is me holding 10 meters of the rope I'm talking about. Most people won't need that much but I use it for camping and I want one long length that I can use for multiple purposes at one time. Plus, at @ $.12/foot it's cheaper than most shoelaces you'll likely find. :)

Attachments

• rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 6,156
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What did everyone take for sleeping in, clothes wise? I've read some slept in clothes they would wear the following day. Is it worth taking a set of clothes (top and bottom) for just sleepwear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cvtminch said:
What did everyone take for sleeping in, clothes wise? I've read some slept in clothes they would wear the following day. Is it worth taking a set of clothes (top and bottom) for just sleepwear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it will make your way more comfortable, you want to carry it and it is not something you are attached to in case you decide to reduce the weight you are carrying. I think/feel and have learned from the forums, other than the essentials, what one carries is a personal preference.
moraneigel

Cvtminch said:
I don't mind sleeping in gear I've worn in the evening but don't like walking in gear I've worn overnight.
Short sleeved T and underwear or very lightweight dress doubled as a nightdress if needed.
When cold I used a long sleeved T and my longjohns. I actually carried 2 pairs of these and was glad of them in early May for the evening as well as at night. I wore one pair in the evening and then overnight, then could wear the other pair when I washed them. Two years ago I wished I had carried 2 pairs and a pair of gloves. Took a silk pair this year and was glad of them in the morning.
All lightweight/quick drying so I was happy to have the weight to stay warm when needed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear undies, the lightest weight lava lava/sarong/sulu, which is great to get changed under or got to the shower in, doubles up as a shawl and a skirt you can wear with your jacket while you wash everything, along with a first layer lightweight T, quick drying and soft. Gitti

Since I walk in late autumn/winter my "evening dress" for post-walking relaxing includes; underwear, winter weight runner's tights and a short sleeve technical tee shirt topped by a long sleeve technical tee. For VERY cold nights a long sleeve thermal undershirt tops the short sleeve tee and the long sleeve technical tee is topped by a polar jacket/fleece. On my feet are loose socks and simple sandals.

Generally I sleep wearing the winter tights and short sleeve tee. When it is REALLY cold, ie when my breath is visible INSIDE the albergue (no joke!), I wear a wooly/thermal hat to sleep resembling Goldilocks' grandmother. Keeping ears and head warm in the cold is MOST important.

Margaret

I often sleep in my hiking clothes when I am backpacking elsewhere because water is in short supply, but since I wash my clothes daily when on the Camino (and they are drying overnight), I wear a nylon slip to sleep in. If it's very cold, I also wear my lightweight Smartwool top. I carry a shirt, skirt, neckscarf, and sandals for going to dinner and walking around the towns in the evening and the slip is part of that "outfit." I had found that people are very good about looking away when others are changing their clothes, etc. and so I have no qualms about walking to the bathroom, etc. in my nightwear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wish I had taken some small fresh chillies or hot curry powder. For day on end I was searching for spices to make some hot, spicy food! :evil:
I wish I had not booked a flight ticket home at the beginning as it meant I was always working out how many rest days I could have along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back