• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One way ticket to Barcelona

barryoglick

Time of past OR future Camino
bogg1000
Hello, newbie here!

I am walking the Camino Frances in June and do not know when or if I will complete the entire camino. So, I wanted to buy a one way ticket to Barcelona (already have). I recently found out that a Schengen (excuse spelling) visa for US citizens requires a round trip ticket. Will there really be a problem with my one way ticket, or will they let me in?

Barry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's like when I go to USA. I have to proof I am going back and the way to do it is to buy return ticket.
It's not the same. US passport holders are only required to "have sufficient means to cover their stay (up to 90 days within 180 days period) and their return trip" but this is hardly ever checked when they enter the Schengen area or when they are subject to a control within a Schengen country which is even rarer. A credit card with sufficient cover is considered as proof of having sufficient means for the return journey.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, newbie here!

I am walking the Camino Frances in June and do not know when or if I will complete the entire camino. So, I wanted to buy a one way ticket to Barcelona (already have). I recently found out that a Schengen (excuse spelling) visa for US citizens requires a round trip ticket. Will there really be a problem with my one way ticket, or will they let me in?

Barry

I am Australian and travel everywhere including into the USA on one way tickets. It costs a little more but I love the freedom of being able to stay longer if I want to. I have been questioned a few times but I just explain the situation and no problem. It is the airlines that can give you the hard time not immigration.

Although one way of specifying the Schengen Zone time limit is 3 months it is actually 90 days. Do not get caught overstaying. 1 July to 30 September may be 3 months but to Schengen it is 92 days. Partial days count as full days. Watch out for midnight landings and departures; you and Schengen can easily come up with a different count this way. If you have spent any time in the Schengen Zone in the past 180 days subtract the days from that stay from the 90 days to find the number of days you can spend this time.

See:

As for one way tickets:

Countries fine airlines that send over visitors that the governments will not allow in and the airlines also have to send them back at their own cost. So the airlines use their International Air Transport Association to keep track of the entry requirements. IATA publishes the information as a book called Travel Information Manual (TIM) and they also have it computerized as Travel Information Manual Automatic (TIMATIC.)

TIMATIC can be accessed via the web url https://www.iatatravelcentre.com but the following site provides a somewhat easier interface (but likely not as good for general use): https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC

See also:

The English language version of the EU's Schengen Borders Code can be found at:

REGULATION (EU) 2016/399 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
of 9 March 2016 on a Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code)

Article 6 is the section for "Entry conditions for third-country nationals" and it does not require a return ticket to enter the Schengen Area. Paragraph 1(c) does state though:

they justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay, and they have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin or transit to a third country into which they are certain to be admitted, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully;

IATA checks whether you are allowed to fly and has access to a database to determine that. That is because Annex V, Part A, Paragraph 2 of the Schengen Borders Code mentions that a carrier has to transport someone that is refused entry into the zone.

2. If a third-country national who has been refused entry is brought to the border by a carrier, the authority responsible locally shall:
(a) order the carrier to take charge of the third-country national and transport him or her without delay to the third country from which he or she was brought, to the third country which issued the document authorising him or her to cross the border, or to any other third country where he or she is guaranteed admittance, or to find means of onward transportation in accordance with Article 26 of the Schengen Convention and Council Directive 2001/51/EC (1);

For other versions and languages for the Schengen Borders Code see:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for all your replies!

I'm sorry I am only now consulting them. I didn't really know this forum was so active!

If this thread is still open, I would like to ask a further question RE one way ticket. I can get a low cost return from the US (relatively low cost). Would it be just as easy to obtain a low cost ticket at the other end, say in Lisbon, or Madrid or wherever I may end up after walking the Camino?

I have heard of people having to pay two to three times the price of a ticket that I could have gotten from here in the US. I would love the freedom of just purchasing a ticket wherever I end up, but is that practical financially?

Any info will be appreciated. I know you can't foretell the future, but if I could just get a general "feeling" about whether it would cost basically the same as pre-buying my ticket here.

If this thread has been closed down, I will repost.

Thanks for all your in-depth and helpful replies!!!

Barry

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back