• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One way ticket

kinnear

Time of past OR future Camino
2007 (September 2017)
Just a thought. I have booked a one way ticket to Paris from New Zealand and hope to leave buying the return flight until I'm near the end of my walk to Santiago de Compostela. I want to rest in Finis Terre and also have some days in Paris before leaving. Obviously, there's no guarantee I finish any of it! Is there requirements from immigration etc to have a booked return ticket.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a thought. I have booked a one way ticket to Paris from New Zealand and hope to leave buying the return flight until I'm near the end of my walk to Santiago de Compostela. I want to rest in Finis Terre and also have some days in Paris before leaving. Obviously, there's no guarantee I finish any of it! Is there requirements from immigration etc to have a booked return ticket.

I would suggest contacting the French embassy to New Zealand. They will be able to give you more reliable information than anyone here.

This from the French Embassy in Wellington:

"As of the 21 December 2007, New Zealand passport holders and citizens of the following countries do NOT require a visa for a stay of up to 90 days in countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement:

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Bermudas, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Croatia, Dominica, East Timor, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China), Israel, Japan, Macao (Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China), Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela.

Provided that travellers:
  • do not intend to work in the countries listed below;
  • have a passport that is valid for at least three months after their return date;
  • have a return ticket,
they can travel to the following countries for up to 90 days without a visa:
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Spain, and Sweden."

My guess is that if you get a return ticket now (with an estimated date of departure) that allows you to change the date, it may well cost you less than buying the second one-way ticket just a couple of weeks in advance.

We are up in Mangonui, Far North NZ, and will be walking in May & June. Isn't the anticipation and the getting ready SO much fun? :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ask the embassy if you need a round-trip ticket or just one leaving the Schengen area. Then maybe you can get away with buying a cheap ticket from France to the UK or Ireland and then canceling that once you have bought your ticket back home.

@FionaMcG, thank you for that. It is interesting that there is a formal requirement that it be a return ticket, rather than another form of ticket to leave the Schengen Zone.

As a practical thing, I have travelled to the Schengen Zone departing from Australia, Britain and Morocco, and have never had to produce evidence of having a return ticket or any other way of departing outside the zone on arrival. I don't know how common it is to ask for such evidence, but over the years I have only ever been asked once, and that was arriving in South Africa from Kenya, now over ten years ago.

I am fairly sure that in practical terms, you need to be able to prove (if requested!) that you intend to leave the Schengen zone within 90 days so either a true "return" ticket or an onward & outward ticket would do the trick. To be 100% positive, give the French Embassy a call.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most countries require a return ticket for a visa.
I always buy a ticket that allows me to change return date which is usually done for a small fee. But beware ........ increasingly the airlines also have taken to charging the price difference between departure dates as well - which can be enormous if you bought a saver ticket rather then standard fare.
Research your carrier carefully.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.