• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One way ticket

Pirsing

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Camino Frances/Ivierno (Sep 2022)
Hello. Is it safe to buy only one way ticket to France? My friend once told me he was denied to enter country (i dont remember the country name but it was in europe) with one way ticket because he didnt have proof that he will return. Any thoughts?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will find all the, accurate, information regarding travel to France and the rest of the Schengen area here: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/schengen-borders-and-visa/schengen-visa_en

If you do not have a return ticket then you may be asked to demonstrate that you have sufficient means to acquire one. A valid credit card should do it. No need to flash a bundle of cash

Hello. Is it safe to buy only one way ticket to France? My friend once told me he was denied to enter country (i dont remember the country name but it was in europe) with one way ticket because he didnt have proof that he will return. Any thoughts?
We've flown into Dublin with one way tickets and the a cheap commercial flight into Paris and never had an issue. But I'm not sure I can answer that definitely.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If don't think there is a definitive answer. Permission to enter a country depends on the decision of the immigration official. They want to be confident that visitors are self-sufficient and will be willing and able to leave when the allowed time is up. Having a return ticket would be one consideration, but if the immigration person is confident that you have the necessary resources, they will probably let you into the country without a return ticket. After all, with a credit card, you could stand in front of the immigration booth and book a ticket on the spot, if necessary. I would not worry about going with a one-way ticket, for that reason.

You need not necessarily be exiting the Schengen area by air. I would have thought that proof of ‘sufficient funds’ would be all that’s required - if anything.

Most likely it will be fine - but they can prevent you from entering if they chose to. I just try to get a return ticket a little further out than what it would take to complete a Camino.

I did fly to Spain last year without a return ticket. No one asked me anything about when I was planning to return home.

Worst case scenario - ask if they will allow you to buy a return ticket from your phone and then allow you to enter? I don't know.... No mater what - you are at the mercy of the agent.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That’s a good question raised by the OP. I couldn’t imagine knowing what day I would finish the Camino and whether or not to cont to the coast, so I assumed I would buy a one way ticket only. I didn’t realise this could be an issue. i would fly into France and be out in a few days.

That’s a good question raised by the OP. I couldn’t imagine knowing what day I would finish the Camino and whether or not to cont to the coast, so I assumed I would buy a one way ticket only. I didn’t realise this could be an issue. i would fly into France and be out in a few days.
It’s rare for it to be an issue, especially in Europe, so i wouldn’t worry too much, but it’s not unheard off!

I'm not 100% sure whether or not Schengen vs EU makes a difference but.... if you are entering France but planning to travel through Europe (again, lets dispense with formalities of the above for the sake of the argument) and will be flying back home in say 6-months time from now from, say Germany.... why would that be an issue denying one entrance?
In my case I have a return ticket 4 July from Madrid which I can obviously present if asked.... come to think about it, I have never been asked to produce any proof of either return ticket or sufficient means. I've been asked how long I plan to stay and what's the purpose of the trip (always 'pleasure') and after that - a stamp in the passport and "Welcome to <insert country."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had a one-way ticket to France and had no problem with it on my 2019 Camino. Tincatinker is probably right: if asked, you should need only to show a credit card.

I flew in on a one way ticket several times without any issue. It’s possible things are different w covid though

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last fall in Spain we talked to a friend who bought a one way ticket US to Europe, and then bought a roundtrip ticket Europe to US with the return scheduled as far out as she could go (11 or 12 months?). She claimed that round trip airfare from Europe to US was much cheaper that roundtrip from US to Europe. I don't know if that holds true for one-way fares. But maybe you might save a bit by buying the return on a European airline?

Last fall in Spain we talked to a friend who bought a one way ticket US to Europe, and then bought a roundtrip ticket Europe to US with the return scheduled as far out as she could go (11 or 12 months?). She claimed that round trip airfare from Europe to US was much cheaper that roundtrip from US to Europe. I don't know if that holds true for one-way fares. But maybe you might save a bit by buying the return on a European airline?
That could be 'partially true' inasmuch as one needs to keep an eye on Codeshare. I've seen situations when, say Lufthansa would sell a ticket for XXXX ans the info states that flight is actually operated by United.
You go on United site and the price is XXX

Just for the upcoming tip for my wife I was looking for a PHL-->SCQ/MAD-->PHL flights and the same exact flights were ran by Iberia, AA & FinnAir. The price difference between 3 airlines were simply mindboggling!!!!! IIRC Iberia was the most expensive one and FinnAir - the least.

Hi
On the two occasions that I have walked Camino Frances I flew into Paris and took the train to Bayonne and then SJPDP and the second time flew to Biarritz and again took the train to SJPDP. I have also flown to Porto to walk Camino da Costa and Madrid to take the train to Sarria to walk the last section of Camino Frances. I have always flown home from SDC but I have never booked a return flight to the UK until I arrived in SDC. The fact that I only had a one-way ticket and no return was never questioned. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
issue. It’s possible things are different w covid though
Well with n=1 there's 0 predictive value, but my experience earlier this April was no problemo. Pre covid I have more often traveled without a return ticket than with one, and have never even been quizzed about it, let alone stopped.

The fact that I only had a one-way ticket and no return was never questioned
If that was in 2013 and in 2018, as your signature implies, then of course you were not questioned because you were a EU citizen and the rule about return tickets did not apply to you.

The OP is a non-EU national, I suppose.

The law in question is more than a good decade old, it applies to all non-EU nationals who don't live in EU/Schengen countries but only travel there for up to 90 days, whether they need a short-term visa or not. The law does not say that you must have a return plane ticket, it says that you must have the means for the return to your country of origin or for transit to a [non-EU] country into which you are certain to be admitted, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully. The forum consensus and experience of next to everybody here is that they are never asked whether they have these means and if they were to be asked it would be enough to show that they have a credit card.

In fact, that's what even the law says: The assessment of sufficient means [...] may be based on the cash, travellers’ cheques and credit cards in the [non-EU] national’s possession.

This is a non-issue for people who intend to go on a Camino trip to Spain, France or Portugal.

Last edited:
All good advice. Most who are carrying their pack thru Customs will be seen as Pilgrims. My thought. I also have never had a problem or even been asked for a return ticket.

Please report back to this Forum if any trouble happens. It will be the first I have heard.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are some countries that *do* require proof of return or onward travel, but not Spain.

In those cases, there are companies that specialize in tentatively booking return tickets, e-mailing you the ticket to cross the border, then cancelling the ticket within the 24-hour grace period. All for a small fee, of course.

-Paul

In those cases, there are companies that specialize in tentatively booking return tickets, e-mailing you the ticket to cross the border, then cancelling the ticket within the 24-hour grace period.
This is often done for non-EU travellers who must apply for a short term Schengen visa. It facilitates the visa application and increases the chances of obtaining the visa. The OP's question is about short term trips of non-EU nationals who benefit from the visa waiver program.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do I need to buy train/bus tickets in advance or i can just buy it at trail station/bus?
This is where we had trouble. The ticket machines weren't working at the bus station in Santiago de Compostela, and they had nobody there who was helpful. We wound up buying the tickets online. Based on our experience, I would buy them online. Getting a ticket a few hours in advance was not a problem.

Do I need to buy train/bus tickets in advance or i can just buy it at trail station/bus?
I just walked out of the airport and took the bus into Bayonne. It dropped me about a 5-minute walk from the train station. I had no problem purchasing my ticket at the station on either occasion. There are always plenty of pilgrims getting the train.

This can be a problem if you need a visa though unlikely if you are from a developed country. You can actually buy a genuine return ticket which expires before you use it for only $14 from onwardticket.com. There are many others offering fake tickets which may also work. I have not tried these services myself so suggest you make you own research/judgement.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ii
  • Do you need a reservation? Should you pre-book? Yes! All long distance trains in Spain and even some shorter distance regional ones require a seat reservation, you cannot just turn up and hop on. There are usually places available even on the day of travel, but at peak times such as Christmas and Easter trains can get full. It also pays to pre-book: If you book ahead there are cheap advance-purchase fares, for example Madrid-Seville from €28, but if you wait to buy your tickets on the day you'll pay the full-price fare, for example Madrid-Seville €75.
  • (From seat61.com) autthority source for train travel.

This is where we had trouble. The ticket machines weren't working at the bus station in Santiago de Compostela, and they had nobody there who was helpful. We wound up buying the tickets online. Based on our experience, I would buy them online. Getting a ticket a few hours in advance was not a problem.

In my experience, automated ticket or vending machines in Europe usually require chip and pin to pay with a credit card that is not available on most US-issued credit cards. It is possible to select "pay by credit card", but the transaction fails with a strange error code.

The workaround sometime is to pay by cash by feeding Euros into the machine.

-Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back