• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Way Ticket

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hi! I want to be open ended on my Camino, so I'd like to have a one way ticket and buy my return when I am ready. But I see that I can't do that because Spain needs to know that I am leaving at the end of my trip. Has anyone gone to the Camino with a one way ticket, and if so, how did you convince the entry officials to let you in with just a one way ticket? Thank you for any response, as I think this may be an odd question. It may be easier to get a round trip and just pay the change fee, but I think it is cheaper to buy a one way ticket. Any experiences people have had in this regard, please let me know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it is cheaper to buy a one way ticket.
This depends very much on where you are traveling from, but I think you are probably wrong if you are coming from North America. (If I am misinformed, I'm happy to be corrected.) Traveling from Canada, on major airlines, I have never seen two one-way tickets to Europe that were cheaper than a return (although it might happen with charter/special flights). It would be better, in my experience, to buy a more expensive fare class that allows changes. You can experiment on an airline website with different dates and combinations, to confirm this.

Convincing the entry officials is not likely to be a problem. We have threads discussing that, such as this one:

... Spain needs to know that I am leaving at the end of my trip. Has anyone gone to the Camino with a one way ticket, and if so, how did you convince the entry officials to let you in with just a one way ticket?
If coming from a developed country they really expect you to be going back home. Anyway, you will have a 99% chance of getting by with proof that you can afford a return ticket. For you that have been to Spain and returned once or twice it should be even easier to show that you plan on going back home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Although I have not travelled to Spain on a one way ticket, I have never been asked to show any evidence of my flights.
The most I've been asked is what my plans are; a definitive answer such as I'm walking the (insert trail name) from here to here (insert places) has been sufficient. The less airy-fairy you are, the less scrutiny you're likely to encounter.
I guess in your case it will come down to whether you're prepared to risk entry refusal. For peace of mind & less stress (which if you exhibit could draw the attention of officials...) buy a flexible return fare or as you mention, just cop the amendment fee. In any case, you can only stay 90 days so you at least have a maximum return date.
Happy trails.
👣 🌏

It does indeed depend on your citizenship in your passport and possibly the country that you depart from on your journey to Spain/EU.

For citizens of most first world countries the good news is that you don't have to show that you are going home, merely that you are leaving the Schengen area. You could, for example purchase a cheepo ticket to the UK as evidence of your intention to leave.

As I found last year, proof of a return flight *may* be asked of you at the first international airport your flight arrives in. I was asked to show my return ticket to the immigration official in FRANKFURT, as I was changing planes to go on to Santiago.

It may happen; it may not. Do you feel lucky? The law says that you can be denied entry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like and do the one-way ticket from the US for the freedom it gives me for my return - when and from where... But I'm not sure I've flown non-stop from US to Spain, and haven't had the experience of being asked for my return ticket. Maybe when the immigration folks see the entry and exit stamps in my passport, they figure I'm just doing it again... I AM a little old lady after all...

Isn't there a thread about showing proof that you can pay for your trip home -- credit cards...
Do it your way, and Buen Camino, @barryg !

Responsibility falls to the airlines for ensuring that all passengers fulfill visa/length-of-stay requirements for any given flight, and there are very steep fines for failure.

Whether you get on a flight with a one way ticket depends entirely on the staff checking you in for your flight.

I personally am able to fly on one way tickets, and have done so many times. And each and every time I was asked to provide the necessary documents without exception. Money in the bank to afford a return ticket most certainly does not qualify.

Money in the bank to afford a return ticket most certainly does not qualify.
Yes it does as far as entry from the outside into Schengen countries is concerned, such as a flight from the USA to Spain. Or, same thing now, from the UK to Spain - main reason, btw, why this topic is still all over the media these days.

This has been discussed extensively and intensively in numerous threads: long-standing EU law, long-standing practice by border control at international airports of the Schengen countries including Spain, and first-hand experience of travellers who posted on this forum. Mostly: Travelled without return ticket and was never questioned. Rarely: Was questioned but my answers were all that was required. Even more rarely: Was questioned and showed credit cards which was all that was required.

The departure country is of no importance in this respect. What matters are nationality and, if that is applicable, EU residency status.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
how did you convince the entry officials to let you in with just a one way ticket?
To be clear: You, as a US citizen, do not have to convince the Spanish entry officials to let you in with just a one way ticket.

There is a lot of misinformation floating about this topic. You will often read that you could be denied entry if you don't hold a return/onward ticket in your hand. Yes, it is true, you could. But nobody has ever reported on this forum that this happened to them for a flight from the USA to Spain under the visa waiver program. And this is what the law actually says:

You must be able IF (very big IF) you get asked to justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay, and have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to your country of origin or transit to a third country into which you are qualified to be admitted, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully.

It has been like this for umpteen years, and I dare say that the majority of those who travelled from the USA, or Canada, or Australia, or New Zealand to Spain, as nationals of these countries and with a one way ticket only, were not even aware of the existence of this regulation and were never questioned let alone barred from entry into Spain or from boarding their flight in the first place. Neither by Spanish border control nor by the airport staff at their departure airport.

Buen Camino!

Please advise as to which Spanish government agency is asking for this information and why. I travelled to France and Spain a year ago to the day. This was during the height of Covid. Travelers to those countries were asked at that time to fill out information on-line and they will receive an electronic pass (Note: never received an electronic pass from either country, flew into Paris my US passport and covid card allowed for entry) I believe this is no longer necessary. I flew to Spain 3x and France once. Upon arrival at immigration/passport control I presented my passport and entered without any questions. Except for the second time I was asked why I was here, I said I was on the camino and I would from be in Spain/EU for about 45 days and I was allowed in. The first two times I flew to Spain, I had return tickets. The third time to Spain and the time to Paris, I did not have return tickets. Again, never questioned at immigration/passport control at those times. Please advise also as to where you are from. People from certain countries/areas may require additional information etc to enter the EU.

Mark

Yes it does as far as entry from the outside into Schengen countries is concerned, such as a flight from the USA to Spain. Or, same thing now, from the UK to Spain - main reason, btw, why this topic is still all over the media these days.

This has been discussed extensively and intensively in numerous threads: long-standing EU law, long-standing practice by border control at international airports of the Schengen countries including Spain, and first-hand experience of travellers who posted on this forum. Mostly: Travelled without return ticket and was never questioned. Rarely: Was questioned but my answers were all that was required. Even more rarely: Was questioned and showed credit cards which was all that was required.

The departure country is of no importance in this respect. What matters are nationality and, if that is applicable, EU residency status.

The laws on this are very clear, and anybody that has gotten away with it and posted their anecdotal evidence as proof in a thread here is doing a disservice to everyone that comes behind them.

Many of the requirements are passed to the airlines, who are responsible for returning the passenger if they are denied entry. Some check, some don't, but that doesn't really change the law. Above and beyond that, showing a CC is a meaningless and unverifiable way of demonstrating means.

Specifics here: https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consu...onsular/Condiciones-de-entrada-en-Espana.aspx

You must be able IF (very big IF) you get asked to justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay, and have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to your country of origin or transit to a third country into which you are qualified to be admitted, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully.
This text specifically relates to obtaining a visa, which is not applicable in this case.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The laws on this are very clear, and anybody that has gotten away with it and posted their anecdotal evidence as proof in a thread here is doing a disservice to everyone that comes behind them.

Many of the requirements are passed to the airlines, who are responsible for returning the passenger if they are denied entry. Some check, some don't, but that doesn't really change the law. Above and beyond that, showing a CC is a meaningless and unverifiable way of demonstrating means.

Specifics here: https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consu...onsular/Condiciones-de-entrada-en-Espana.aspx

This text specifically relates to obtaining a visa, which is not applicable in this case.
Thank you for this information. I was planning next spring to fly into Paris then fly to Bayonne to start the Frances. Was not planning on getting a return ticket as I want to take my time and not feel rushed. I’ll look into France’s policies.

Schengen Borders Code

This regulation is intended to improve the legislative part of the integrated border management European Union policy by setting out the rules on the border control of persons crossing EU external borders and on the temporary reintroduction of border control at internal borders.

And here it is:

I personally don’t see the advantage in a one way ticket now that they don’t have change fees. When I have priced it out from the US, the flight home was three to four times the price of a round trip. I believe price wise you would be better to guess at a return date and change it if needed. I believe it would be repriced and a round trip ticket and you would pay the fare difference, rather than the expensive one way fare.
On my fall Camino, I was with someone with a one way fare and she had a lot of trouble finding a return tickets that wasn’t crazy expensive.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi! I want to be open ended on my Camino, so I'd like to have a one way ticket and buy my return when I am ready. But I see that I can't do that because Spain needs to know that I am leaving at the end of my trip. Has anyone gone to the Camino with a one way ticket, and if so, how did you convince the entry officials to let you in with just a one way ticket? Thank you for any response, as I think this may be an odd question. It may be easier to get a round trip and just pay the change fee, but I think it is cheaper to buy a one way ticket. Any experiences people have had in this regard, please let me know.
Hi
I don't know where you are travelling from but I live in England and in 5 trips to walk Caminos I have never had a return ticket. Twice on Camino Frances and once on Camino da Costa I have entered Spain by walking across a cattle grid in the mountains or run up the beach from a Portuguese taxi boat. I have always worked on the assumption that it will take as long as it takes and booked my return home on arrival in Santiago and this has never been challenged.
Buen Camino
Vince

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is that still true for all airlines?
For most carriers from the US (like Delta and American) they eliminated the change fees in 2020. I was also able to buy a ticket that was refundable for just a little bit more for the trip I’m on now.

anybody that has gotten away with it
I reviewed the link you provided and saw that a return ticket "may be required". It does not say it "is required." There is a big difference. People who are admitted without a return ticket are not "getting away" with any violation.

We don't see the detailed statements of the laws, or the interpretations and policies that guide implementation. It is helpful to be aware of the strong anecdotal evidence of what "may" means, as well as the fact that there is a chance that return tickets will be required of you.

By training at home before your Camino, you will gain confidence that you can complete planned daily mileage. This will make your travel plans more predictable and enable to purchase a return ticket with confidence.

This is much better method of doing the Camino than walking until injured and resting for some unknown number of days.

-Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am from Canada. I always buy my return ticket a few days before the flight(s).

I always buy my return ticket a few days before the flight(s).
Are you saying that you go with a one-way ticket and then buy another one-way ticket a few days before your flight home from Spain? Or do you buy a return ticket a few days before you leave Canada?

If you go on a one-way ticket, I am curious what airline you fly.

I walked the Via de la Plata this year, I had a one way ticket 🎫 into Europe, spent time in Germany 🇩🇪 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 for 3/4 weeks. I went from London by plane to Madrid and on to Saville by train. I had no problem in any of those countries with not having a ticket 🎫 to leave.

FWIW, airlines flying passengers from non-EU countries to Schengen countries have to check whether these passengers have valid passports and, for nationals who must have a visa, whether they have a valid visa. That is what they are liable for and if they don't and transport passengers without such valid documentation they risk sanctions and fines.

But the airline's / airport's ground staff are not fully fledged border control officers on duty for foreign countries. Contrary to earlier comments in this thread, they don't have to check other obligations, for example they don't have to check whether passengers comply with the Schengen 90 days out of 180 rules or whether they have the financial means for their stay and for leaving again. The passenger is responsible for fulfilling such obligations.

Or do you see that the airport staff at non-EU airports checks the little entry/exit stamps in their passengers' passports? I don't think so.

Last edited:
I have had my passport checked in Greece at the entry to security screening. I can't say the status of the man who checked my passport. He certainly didn't work for the airline.

It was an intra-Schengen flight and usually I don't have to show my residence permit for those, but on this occasion I did need to.

Some airports/countries are definitely more vigilant than others.

Some (for me at least) surprising info about refusal of entry for non-EU citizens in 2021. The source is the European Commission and their Eurostat agency so an impeccable source. In 2021, they did refuse entry to nearly 4,000 UK nationals and to a somewhat lower number of US nationals.

I hope you will take comfort from the fact that not a single person was refused entry by any of the EU / Schengen countries because they did not hold a return/onward travel ticket (because not a requirement - just useful to have in case you get asked. All you must have is access to money to buy a ticket to b***** *** leave again - which is not hard to do, given cheap airfare).

A certain percentage was refused entry because they had been asked and could not prove that they had access to sufficient financial means or because they had been asked and could not convincingly explain or prove why they wanted to come. Schengen Border Code - the law of the land in Spain and France and in the other EU / Schengen countries.

Refusal by foreign passports.jpg

Grounds for refusal of entry.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you saying that you go with a one-way ticket and then buy another one-way ticket a few days before your flight home from Spain? Or do you buy a return ticket a few days before you leave Canada?

If you go on a one-way ticket, I am curious what airline you fly.
I leave home only with a one way ticket. When my walking is complete, I purchase a ticket for my return flight.

For my two Caminos so far I flew into London (have family there) from Australia and then had a one way ticket to Spain (#1) and Portugal (#2) without any difficulties.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What airline? And how is the price compared to a return ticket?
From a European standpoint the days when a return was demonstrably better value than a OW are largely over. Comparing flights prices is virtually impossible in a re ‘supply and demand’ environment. Entry regulations not withstanding, one ways may (or may not ) be a good option commercially, but is defo a option.

Last edited by a moderator:
This depends very much on where you are traveling from, but I think you are probably wrong if you are coming from North America. (If I am misinformed, I'm happy to be corrected.) Traveling from Canada, on major airlines, I have never seen two one-way tickets to Europe that were cheaper than a return (although it might happen with charter/special flights). It would be better, in my experience, to buy a more expensive fare class that allows changes. You can experiment on an airline website with different dates and combinations, to confirm this.

Convincing the entry officials is not likely to be a problem. We have threads discussing that, such as this one:

We landed in Madrid May 20th (for a wedding) and last week, Aug. 26. for our Camino from U.S. No one asked to see a return ticket. And, We didn’t have a return plan for either trip.

From a European standpoint the days when a return was demonstrably better value than a OW are largely over.
Yes. But I am asking specifically about one-way flights from North America to/from Europe. From what I see, there is still a big advantage in return tickets for the transAtlantic portions.

For domestic flights within Canada and US, there is no advantage - the return fares are all the sum of the one way fares. (An exception would be for vacation packages.)

I am quite curious and would like to know if my impression is, in fact, incorrect. I still haven't read any reports of specific airlines and routes where the two one-way trans-Atlantic tickets are reasonable, in comparison to a return ticket.

€83,-
In Chicago, I was asked by the airline ground personnel about how I was going to get back from Europe, because if I overstayed, the airline would get fined and they would also have to transport me back. I was coming back on a ship. But I also have dual Irish/USA citizenship. I am not subject to the Schengen day limit. They asked if they could add my Irish passport to their file (for their protection). I said fine.

So the airlines do have skin in this game and do ask about returning if you go to the Schengen from the USA on a one way ticket.

Yes. But I am asking specifically about one-way flights from North America to/from Europe. From what I see, there is still a big advantage in return tickets for the transAtlantic portions.

For domestic flights within Canada and US, there is no advantage - the return fares are all the sum of the one way fares. (An exception would be for vacation packages.)

I am quite curious and would like to know if my impression is, in fact, incorrect. I still haven't read any reports of specific airlines and routes where the two one-way trans-Atlantic tickets are reasonable, in comparison to a return ticket.

If you do say a search LAX-LHR-LAX as a return and then same dates two singles what does it show you (same fare product) I would expect some cost benefit but suprised if more than 10-15%. But I could be totally wrong. To be clear I am not talking transfer journeys as that's a whole different ball game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Three years ago I bought tickets from the low cost airline Level. They really don't have a round trip. If you ask for one they show there and back separately. Then and now the return was about $10 USD more than the Spain bound trip. I just checked economy fares between Boston and Barcelona for October through December. To Spain is as low as about $165 and back $175.

Three years ago prices were about $120 each way and I bought a "round trip". I decided to return a week early and bought a ticket a few days prior to leaving for the then current one way fare of about the same as I paid for the return months previously. I could have changed my older ticket but that would have cost me $200 for the privilege of just changing.

For those who are unconvinced and, more importantly, for future reference for similar threads, a link to a text published by eda.admin.ch which is the Foreign Ministry of Switzerland. Switzerland is a Schengen country. This was already published in 2017 - these rules have been in place for more than a decade and have not been changed:

Frequent questions and answers about Visumfreie Reisen in den Schengenraum (Q&A about visa free travel to the Schengen area). Scroll down to point 5: Gibt mir die Visumfreiheit das Recht auf Einreise in den Schengenraum, and in particular point 5 b. Use Google Translate or deepl.com if you don't read German.​

To be bookmarked. 😇

PS: I just noticed that points 6 and 7 are also relevant for the occasional forum thread and worth reading. ☺️

Last edited:
Three years ago I bought tickets from the low cost airline Level.
that airline is no longer in business
So far, this does not change my impression that two one-way fares are not competitive with return fares on major airlines for trans-Atlantic travel. On the available low-cost airlines, the bargain trans-Atlantic travel is only for a few major origins and destinations. When you add on the additional legs at the start and the end, the saving may be lessened considerably (and the uncertainties increase).

So far, this does not change my impression that two one-way fares are not competitive with return fares on major airlines for trans-Atlantic travel. On the available low-cost airlines, the bargain trans-Atlantic travel is only for a few major origins and destinations. When you add on the additional legs at the start and the end, the saving may be lessened considerably (and the uncertainties increase).
Do your best to book flights in and out of major hubs. In my instance, I will fly out of Toronto or Montreal to Dublin, then to Biarritz. On the way home, Santiago to Dublin then home on best priced and timed flight.

Book a very cheap flight way into the distant future that will allow you to re book if needed

Sorry for getting back to you late! Thanks for that advice. You're right of course, after I did some research, I see that it would be much cheaper to pay the change fee than to buy to separate one-way tickets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If coming from a developed country they really expect you to be going back home. Anyway, you will have a 99% chance of getting by with proof that you can afford a return ticket. For you that have been to Spain and returned once or twice it should be even easier to show that you plan on going back home.
Thank you so much!

I personally don’t see the advantage in a one way ticket now that they don’t have change fees. When I have priced it out from the US, the flight home was three to four times the price of a round trip. I believe price wise you would be better to guess at a return date and change it if needed. I believe it would be repriced and a round trip ticket and you would pay the fare difference, rather than the expensive one way fare.
On my fall Camino, I was with someone with a one way fare and she had a lot of trouble finding a return tickets that wasn’t crazy expensive.

Thanks for your reply! I didn't know that they had eliminated change fees, but even if they haven't I think it is clear to me now, that a one way ticket is much more expensive than a change fee.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry for getting back to you late! Thanks for that advice. You're right of course, after I did some research, I see that it would be much cheaper to pay the change fee than to buy to separate one-way tickets.
Do you know that in addition to the change fee that you also have to pay the difference in fare price if the new travel date is more expensive?

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.