• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One way tickets OK?

Louise2016

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 from Pamplona to Estrella, then Astorga to Santiago, and June 2016
We are planning to walk the Camino in September 2020. We aren't sure about our return date from Europe to the United States. Do you think we would be okay to buy a one-way ticket there and then get a return one way ticket home when we decide when we want to return? Has anyone done that? Is it very expensive to do it that way? Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think cost would be the most important factor. Just try it out and research how much a ticket now would cost for a plane that leaves in a few days ... BC SY

There is a possibility that you may be refused entry. I don't know how common it is, but It did happen to a friend of mine once flying from NYC to London. He was a young man, then, with limited resources, so they suspected he was going to overstay (And they were right). They sent him back. I think if you can prove you have means, it's less of an issue. Maybe you can find a ticket that it doesn't cost to much to change....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have found one way ticket from the US to be much more expensive than round trip tickets. In fact, last year I had enough air miles for a one way ticket, so I checked how much it would be to purchase a one way - it was more than the cost of a round trip ticket.
You can get deals on one way tickets on some of the low cost carriers like Norwegian and Level, but fares usually go up the closer to the travel date.
I just add in a week or two to the tie that I think that I will need. I can always find somewhere else to visit or walk in Spain.

We are planning to walk the Camino in September 2020. We aren't sure about our return date from Europe to the United States. Do you think we would be okay to buy a one-way ticket there and then get a return one way ticket home when we decide when we want to return? Has anyone done that? Is it very expensive to do it that way? Thank you.

Usually its more expensive to get one way tickets. Some airlines such as Transat work out cheaper buying one way tickets. Certainly the discount airlines in Europe such as Ryan Air and Easy Jet make it easy. Try pricing it out and see what happens.

My strategy was to stay longer than it would take to walk the camino, allowing the purchase of a return ticket. Spain has much more to offer than just the camino.

If you plan to stay longer than it will take and then decide to go home early you need to contact the airline to 'upgrade' your ticket. Sometimes the (more expensive option) fare on a return ticket includes the right to change dates.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had an injury walking the Camino last April. I needed to stop walking and return to the US. Certainly it was a factor that I returned on very short notice, but it cost me over $2000 to do so (and one airline wanted $3000). Much gratitude for travel insurance!

Most airlines have a policy that you must show a ticket for onward travel from where you are going. The airline is responsible for making sure you don’t over stay and they have to get you back if you do.

Interesting views. In September past I flew into Biarritz with East jet and left via Bilbao with Veuling. (SJPP-Logrono) Not an issue at all with pricing or availability.

But, I do live in Europe and single flights are quite common when the return date needs to be flexible. That’s is, without paying for a full fat flexible return ticket.

I dreaded going out the first time one way but found it’s easier to get back than I thought.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I usually don't have a return ticket when I go to Europe, especially when walking a Camino. You just don't know how long it will take or what may happen. I didn't want to have to hurry my camino with a deadline.

Buen Camino

Hi Louise
In May this year I flew from London to Lisbon with the Portuguese carrier TAP. They refused to let me board the plane initially because I had no return flight booked& & it was only after making several phone calls to various airline personnel & a document showing my return flight to Australia two months hence that I was allowed to board the plane. In my previous five Caminos ( with different carriers) I have never booked a return flight & it has never been an issue. I could usually book a cheap Ryanair flight back to London, but it would probably be a different story if I wanted to fly to Australia. Perhaps book your return flight with a number of ‘spare’ days as others have suggested? There is always lots of lovely places to spend time in in Spain off the Camino!

One way tickets are often a good use of airline miles / points, since the cost in points is typically half the cost of a roundtrip, but the price of a one-way ticket can sometimes be more expensive than the roundtrip fare.

To fulfill the requirement for a return/onward ticket, you can get a cheap (e.g. Ryanair) flight from Spain to London (outside of Schengen travel area) or a fully refundable ticket home. The latter requires a significant outlay but you can buy on a credit card and get the refund within the same billing month.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.