• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

one week in April!!

eala

fellow soul searchers, Myself and my husband have one week in April to walk the Camino to finish in Santiago, any suggesyions? we are fit but want to enjoy the scenery!
eala

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Eala and Husband,
Welcome to the Forum :D .
It's a little difficult to advise since you don't give much information about yourselves, so the advice has to be a bit general.
Assuming you intend to walk for a week and not wanting to be too strenuous, (approx 20 km per day), it puts your start point at about Triacastella, something like 120+ km from Santiago; if you want to obtain the 'Compostela' you have to walk at least 100km. I don't know about buses, etc but I imagine your best plan would be to get to Santiago and then get a bus to your start point.
You want to enjoy the scenery, but bear in mind that Galicia is not known as 'Green Spain' for nothing, :( , even in June you can get cold, driving rain. I'm not expert on April weather, but don't be surprised if you miss some of the scenery because your head is down against the weather.
Then again you say you are fit, but I don't know what that relates to; fit for your ages, fit in regard to specific exercise, or fit in relation to walking with a pack for several days. To walk for a day with a small pack and return home in the evening is one thing; to repeat that walk, with a heavier pack, the next day and then for several more days is a different thing altogether.
I hope this doesn't sound negative - I want you to prepare well and enjoy :D your pilgrimage, not struggle each day.
Enjoy your planning.
Buen Camino,
Brendan

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Perhaps you could walk the Camino Ingles. I think it was Rolf who submitted an excellent post on this Forum giving suggested stages as well as a daily report.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2392

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi

I very much agree with Sil about the Camino Ingles. In my opinion it is perfect if you have a week to walk:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2858

Leaving from Ferrol you will qualify for a Compostela, but if you aren't bothered about that there is the alternative Camino Ingles from the more authentic departure point A Coruna. This route is shorter but might also allow time in your schedule to walk out to Finisterre with a day in Santiago in the middle.

Another alternative is the final stretch of the Via de la Plata - popular with a lot of Spaniards as the Camino Frances gets busier.

The departure point is Orense ( easily accessible from Santiago by public transport ) and from there it is 5 days walk to Santiago and at 108 kms qualifies for the Compostela.

Enjoy the decision making - they are all good alternatives :)

John

If you are interested in Camino Francés I would begin in O Cebreiro, because the historical importance and because t's easy to go there by bus (the ALSA bus station is just 4 km away, to go by bus from Madrid or from Santiago). A very nice walk before beginning.

If other Caminos, the Camino Ingles from Ferrol, or the Camino Portugueses from Ponte de Lima or Tui.

But if it's your first Camino, I would choose the Camino Francés.

Enjoy it! And buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back