• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Week in December

Which Camino would you recommend to me?

• Sarria to Santiago

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Camino Ingles from Ferrol

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Primitivo from Lugo

• Camino Ingles from A Coruna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camino del Norte from ??? (suggestions welcome!!!)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Finisterra Muxia Santiago Circuit

• Camino Portuguese from Tui

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Camino Sanabres from Ourense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other? (Please specify in a comment)

• Total voters

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
After the Camino Ditch Pigs Clean Up I hope to sneak in a short pilgrimage, but on which Camino? I have around ~7 days and prefer to walk no more than 20km/day (heels still tender). I am not concerned about getting yet another Compostela but would very much like to end in Santiago. So, which Camino should I choose? SY

PS I know about walking in winter and have the adequate equipment, so weather/climate isn't an issue. Nor is Spanish, I am pretty fluent so less traveled routes aren't a problem either.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After the Camino Ditch Pigs Clean Up I hope to sneak in a short pilgrimage, but on which Camino? I have around ~7 days and prefer to walk no more than 20km/day (heels still tender). I am not concerned about getting yet another Compostela but would very much like to end in Santiago. So, which Camino should I choose? SY

PS I know about walking in winter and have the adequate equipment, so weather/climate isn't an issue. Nor is Spanish, I am pretty fluent so less traveled routes aren't a problem either.

How wonderful! I would love to walk the Frances out of season, after walking the last 40kms from Arzua last month... So busy and commercial - a big culture shock after the peace of the Norte, yet much of it was off road and and I imagine it to be very attractive out of season.

Then again... Finisterre - Muxia and the wild Atlantic coast in winter...

What a delicious decision to be able to make!!

Pete

;)Being contrarian, I'd choose none of the above and hop the train to Santiago from wherever I end up.
I'd try this in a week, because it was so fantastic I want to go back to explore further--but I don't know about winter.
Wow, @navarro, I got so excited looking at your link:
Because that is exactly what I was wondering about when I began this thread!:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-company-are-you-up-for-an-adventure.40899/
After walking from Santo Domingo to Silos back to Burgos via Santa Maria de Lara, it looked like such a wonderful alternative way between Najera and Burgos that would take in more of this remarkable and very historic landscape.
And voila! There it is. Wonderful. It would be fantastic if you could (pretty please?) go over to that thread and give us a few of your impressions in English!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I didn't walk this, but I wish I had (well, maybe, I did like Eulalia de Boveda) but I would think if the weather permits (that I don't know) Lugo via Sobrado dos Monxes to the Norte to SdC.

I didn't walk this, but I wish I had (well, maybe, I did like Eulalia de Boveda) but I would think if the weather permits (that I don't know) Lugo via Sobrado dos Monxes to the Norte to SdC.

I loved this walk on the Camino Verde, but the first day (Lugo to Friol) is about 28kms, with absolutely no services along the way. The next day's walk from Friol to Sobrado is about 25kms, so both are outside @SYates 's preferred distances. After Sobrado, there are more stopping options, but it could be difficult to stretch this into a 7-day walk. However, it's still an interesting option and everyone who has done it speaks highly of those two days of peace and tranquility. @SYates - you would have two natural advantage: (1) you aren't scared of dogs and (2) the German guide has good directions for this less-travelled detour.

Re. the broader question of where to walk, all of the potential options have their appeal. If it were me, I'd probably just make a last minute choice based on weather and ease of travel. I'd hate to lose a day sitting on a bus if the weather was perfect for walking. Are you leaning towards any particular option?

@SYates.
Hi Sybil.
A slow Pamplona to Logrono taking in all the churches , sights , coffee bars ..
That would be my first choice , familiarity breeds contempt.
Then My second would be Burgos to Sahagun popping into Reb and Paddy's.
............could be really chilly?
My edit .............. I REALLY like the idea!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olá Sybil, reading your post my first thoughts were about how to get to a good starting point. Therefore I voted for the Caminho Português starting in Tui. There are cheap flights from Prague to Porto via Lisbon and some buses from Porto airport to Tui.

Ah if only this choice were as easy as the one I will make tomorrow. I don't know, SYates, you have a lot of good options.

I remember that when I found myself on the Frances from Ponferrada to Santiago a few years ago (having changed my plans about the Invierno), I realized I had forgotten how beautiful it was -- in spite of the crowds. I don't know, you've walked a lot of different caminos, I think there is something appealing going back to where it probably all started for you and be able to enjoy it without the crowds. But any of the routes you suggest would be nice.

A few more comments -- The Inglés from Ferrol has the advantage of being a "full camino" . I don't think the route from Lugo is the best of the Primitivo, and in a few days you're on the Frances anyway. Sanabres from OUrense is nice -- it's not the "best" part of the Sanabres IMO but could be a warm-up teaser. You could also add the Invierno from Monforte de Lemos, there's a lot of nice walking in there.

Good luck with this decision. Buen camino, Laurie

Camino del Norte from Portugalete (just past the Industrial section of Bilbao) to Santander. Is my vote, the ocean views, the hills to climb - love this Camino!

PS - You would be able to stop by Father Ernesto's hostel in Guemes - considered the best on the Norte.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... If it were me, I'd probably just make a last minute choice based on weather and ease of travel. I'd hate to lose a day sitting on a bus if the weather was perfect for walking. Are you leaning towards any particular option?

I am leaning towards Tui>Santiago closely followed by the Camino Ingles at the moment, but you are right, a last minute (weather!) decision might be the best. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.