• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One week to go! Salvador and Primitivo on Oct. 15

LauraK

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
I leave for Spain on Tuesday and start the Camino Del Salvador from Leon (and onto the Primativo) next Thursday October 15. Excited and hoping the rain stops before I arrive! Is anyone else starting the Salvador around the same time (or the Primativo on Oct. 20)?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I leave for Spain on Tuesday and start the Camino Del Salvador from Leon (and onto the Primativo) next Thursday October 15. Excited and hoping the rain stops before I arrive! Is anyone else starting the Salvador around the same time (or the Primativo on Oct. 20)?
You're so lucky to walk two Caminos in one year, Laura. I envy you very much and wish you Buen Camino :) Hope to hear some news and see some pics from you while walking these Caminos.

Ultreia!

PS (BTW - it's Camino PrimItivo ;))

LauraK:

Hope the weather gods are listening. Have a wonderful Camino Salvador.

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino Laura, I hope that you have an amazing experience.

I'm planning to walk the Primitivo (and maybe also the Salvador) next year, so I'll be interested to hear your experiences. I'm sure you're super-excited at this point!

Nuala

I almost walked the Primitive this time. I decided against it once the weather turned and l probably would have had to hurry.

I promised myself never to hurry again, it spoiled my C. Portuguese this year.

I've been home now for 1 week and l miss walking. The luxury of doing nothing but being a pilgrim.

I had a wonderful 3 months with lots of different experiences and a few curveballs.

Buen Camino to all who are walking now or about to start.

You're so lucky to walk two Caminos in one year, Laura. I envy you very much and wish you Buen Camino :) Hope to hear some news and see some pics from you while walking these Caminos.

Ultreia!

PS (BTW - it's Camino PrimItivo ;))

KinkyOne: I agree. I am very fortunate to walk twice this year. Very unexpected but I am between jobs and will probably not get to walk again for a couple of years. My husband suggested I go now since I have the time (and enough frequent flyer miles to cover my airfare). While a member of the forum for years, I generally just checked in before caminos to review equipment and packing lists. After my last Camino I became an active participant and have thoroughly enjoyed reading posts and feeling part of the community. I admit it also fueled a desire to go again. I had the choice to go almost anywhere with my airline miles but couldn't pass up the opportunity to do another Camino. I really appreciate all of the advice and help I have received in planning this Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
KinkyOne: I agree. I am very fortunate to walk twice this year. Very unexpected but I am between jobs and will probably not get to walk again for a couple of years. My husband suggested I go now since I have the time (and enough frequent flyer miles to cover my airfare). While a member of the forum for years, I generally just checked in before caminos to review equipment and packing lists. After my last Camino I became an active participant and have thoroughly enjoyed reading posts and feeling part of the community. I admit it also fueled a desire to go again. I had the choice to go almost anywhere with my airline miles but couldn't pass up the opportunity to do another Camino. I really appreciate all of the advice and help I have received in planning this Camino.
So fortunate! So nice :)

Buen Camino, LauraK. I'd be very interested to hear about the weather conditions you encounter along the trail and what affect it has on the physical safety of walking the route.

Buen Camino, LauraK. I'd be very interested to hear about the weather conditions you encounter along the trail and what affect it has on the physical safety of walking the route.

Laura wrote from a rainy Oviedo and is starting out today on the Primitivo. Looks like highs are around 60, lows around 40 (Fahrenheit), which is great walking weather, so fingers crossed on the rain factor.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laura wrote from a rainy Oviedo and is starting out today on the Primitivo. Looks like highs are around 60, lows around 40 (Fahrenheit), which is great walking weather, so fingers crossed on the rain factor.

Many thanks for this, P2000. I've just been reading Rebekah's post on a different del Salvador thread that strongly advises against walking the route beyond November 15th. I do hope she's being overcautious, and Ender is able to report more clement conditions this year.

Many thanks for this, P2000. I've just been reading Rebekah's post on a different del Salvador thread that strongly advises against walking the route beyond November 15th. I do hope she's being overcautious, and Ender is able to report more clement conditions this year.

I did have contact with Ender before Laura set out, but unfortunately he is now out of the country in a little town in the midwestern US (not too far from me, actually) and will not return until early November. He said there is usually no problem at all in October. It bears pointing out that we are still almost a month away from November 15, so it may be that both Ender and Reb would issue the same caution after November 15. Are you heading out this November? If so, I'm happy to get back in touch with Ender as the date gets closer, because he should be back in his pueblo by then. Buen camino, laurie

I did have contact with Ender before Laura set out, but unfortunately he is now out of the country in a little town in the midwestern US (not too far from me, actually) and will not return until early November. He said there is usually no problem at all in October. It bears pointing out that we are still almost a month away from November 15, so it may be that both Ender and Reb would issue the same caution after November 15. Are you heading out this November? If so, I'm happy to get back in touch with Ender as the date gets closer, because he should be back in his pueblo by then. Buen camino, laurie
I'll be starting - adopting a positive stance for now - in the first week of December. I would welcome Ender's weather view right up to the last minute, which is probably the best report of all. Thanks again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry for not responding sooner. First time I have had wifi in a few days. I finished the Salvador on Monday and I am currently on the Primitivo. I have been very lucky with weather so far. Relatively mild weather with rain only on one day walking from Pola de Lena to Oviedo. I only wore my fleece two evenings and walked mostly with just shirt and pants - no jacket except for the first hour in the morning. The views are stunning and having over three days of basically mountain trails and no Tarmac was fantastic. Ender has done an amazing job of way marking. Every time I wondered if I was lost I would look around and find an arrow or yellow post. I met only 4 people so not crowded and the albergues were good.
I see that you are not planning to walk until December. I am not sure if the albergues will be open so you need to check. I was able to get hot meals each evening by calling ahead a couple of times. This route is very isolated and I would not recommend walking it in snow. Ender has added markers that are about one meter high so it is possible to find your way if there is a little snow on the ground. I walk a lot in winter but would probably avoid this route if weather does not look good.

So wish I could be there as well. I keep wondering What to walk next Spring. A redo of Norte and then Primi? Norte all the way through? New routes? But the Norte/Primitivo combo calls. I look forward to reading more on your experience. Ultreia.

Sorry for not responding sooner. First time I have had wifi in a few days. I finished the Salvador on Monday and I am currently on the Primitivo. I have been very lucky with weather so far. Relatively mild weather with rain only on one day walking from Pola de Lena to Oviedo. I only wore my fleece two evenings and walked mostly with just shirt and pants - no jacket except for the first hour in the morning. The views are stunning and having over three days of basically mountain trails and no Tarmac was fantastic. Ender has done an amazing job of way marking. Every time I wondered if I was lost I would look around and find an arrow or yellow post. I met only 4 people so not crowded and the albergues were good.
I see that you are not planning to walk until December. I am not sure if the albergues will be open so you need to check. I was able to get hot meals each evening by calling ahead a couple of times. This route is very isolated and I would not recommend walking it in snow. Ender has added markers that are about one meter high so it is possible to find your way if there is a little snow on the ground. I walk a lot in winter but would probably avoid this route if weather does not look good.

Thanks very much for the weather report and advice, Laura. I reckon I'll have to make a decision nearer the time, though I am hearterned to hear about the visibility of Ender's markers. Enjoy the Primitivo; I did.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...
(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back