• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Week To Go

Davroos

So one week till I fly to Porto to start my walk and I think I was better prepared a month ago !!! So many thoughts running through my head

Where will I get my sellos?
Will I find a bed each night
Eating?
Water?
Etc.....

I sit here in London pondering these thoughts but know it is to late to pull out. The flights are booked and we will be off. I am looking forward to it but .......

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh you lucky thing its going to be gorgeous. And I'm afraid I'm deeply jealous :mrgreen: of your spring Camino!
Nell

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Davroos

Your fears are still my fears when I'm setting out...but the sellos will be there and so will the beds and so will the food - deliciously so on the CP - as for water...there are shops, there are fountains!

Enjoy and let us all know how you get on.

Buen Camino

John

The Portuguese Camino is muinto bem!

You're going to have a delicious time!

Think about the beautiful scenery, the DELICIOUS FOOD (500 ways they make bacalau!!!), the friendly people with great senses of humor, the exercise.

It will be fine. :D

Exciting, isn't it! I won't be starting out of Porto until mid-April, but am flying to Paris tomorrow, and doing a lot of last minute errands. Some worrying too, but mostly about the flight -- it is on BA and we could get stuck in London, although BA is claiming our connecting flight to Paris is still scheduled. And until two days ago, it looked like our Paris-Porto flight on March 31 was going to be cancelled -- fortunately there was a last-minute settlement between TAP and its pilots.

Boa Viagem,
Kit
http://www.arovingvision.com
kst@arovingvision.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Davros!

I'm heading that way as well. :) I Will be arriving in Porto on the 30th of April and leaving three days later for Santiago..........which day are you guys planning to start walking?

Its all a new experience for me and cant wait to arrive in Porto and begin my adventure!

Hi again!

Yes I'll be leaving Porto on the morning of the 2nd from the cathedral so will probably see you guys somewhere along the route that day although I've read that the first bit from Porto to Vilar do Pinheiro (that I'm planning to walk the first day) can be a bit hazardous due to walking along a main road so might need to put a bright orange jumpsuit on that day I think :wink:

And yes I will be playing tourist for a few days first ! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, we might see you at the Se if you are there for opening.

As we are planning to walk this in 8 days, we will be doing 39 K's on that first day !!!

Nothing booked except the Porto and Santiago. The rest, I am going to play it by ear !!!

39 K's is ok, means we have a nice relaxing 15 K's on day 2. I was also worried that where you are walking to, there are according to the guide book, only 4 beds

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes my thoughts exactly...I'm intentionally not booking anything in advance to keep my options open about how far i walk, how long i stay and where I walk to. I just hope the decision doesnt rebound but i guess I'll learn as i go along even if it is sometimes the hard way. 4 beds? that doesnt sound many and its hard to say how busy its going to be on the route at this time of year. was that at the Residencial Santa Marinha? With any luck I'll arrive there by lunchtime and then have time to search around. Its either that or send an email ahead to reserve a room if possible and available.

Hi Jean-Marc,

Thanks for the link! :D The review looks promising. Lets hope the same friendly owner is there as in 2007! Two days to go before i leave.....times flying and the forum is proving useful, sociable and friendly...if this is a taste of the camaraderie on the camino its going to be good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

Sorry, I got mixed up. I thought you meant Vilarhino !!! This only has four beds.

Tell me, how long are you planning to take for this Muppet?

Hi Davroos,

For the Portugese camino 11-14 days depending if i take a break here or there and how i'm managing. I have given up my job to do this so dont have any time pressure. After that I want to travel down to Seville and walk back up again to Santiago from there arriving at the end of July. Its also dependant on when the money runs out so I'll need to try and live frugally if possible to make the whole experience last as long as possible :roll:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok Davroos!

Im flying off this evening so probably wont be online much anymore....might see you guys somewhere on the first day. I'll probably leave between 8 and 9 from the cathedral on the 2nd...weather forecast isnt looking too good unfortunately for the coming days but that might change....If i dont see you have a great time and good luck on the road.

Cheers

Muppet

Yes Muppet, we will be at the Se around the same time. Just look for a couple of Dodgy Aussies !!!

I saw it could be wet. I have looked at various different sites but they say don't say the same, just like a good weatherman !!!

Good luck with your walk

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Rose. Looking forward to it now, but I only have one worry. Whilst back in Sydney a four weeks ago, I walked the first two stages of the The Great North Walk, Circular Quay to Berowra and my knees died, so I am hoping they will handle it. I did a 22K walk two weeks ago in London, and felt ok. I was meant to go for one more long walk but my G/F was feeling a little sick, so we forgot about it, so just resting up at present !!!

Anyway, 1.5 more days of work to go, I am packing at present, I have around 6-7 kilos, so I am happy about that.

Enough babbling !!!

And don't forget...if it gets too heavy...mail IT HOME!!! We did and never missed the stuff at all! Will be thinking of you and praying for lovely weather! Rose Louise & John, my husband and I all had..well let's say damp :roll: weather!! to say the least! So I'm sending you warm sunny dry thoughts and prayers! Buen camino..it will truly all work itself out! Karin :) :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi

Thanks for all thoughts from all of you out there. I am now getting excited as I get closer, I can't wait actually, but I do have another question.

My G/F's greatest fear is finding toilets on the route. Easy or difficult?

Thanks

Please read this thread:

frequently-asked-questions/topic7983.html?hilit=toilet#p48045

Rose, PLeASE TAKE A HANDKERCHIEF AND DO NOT STREW TP on the trails!
You can wash it out each night when you wash your other clothing.

Use the alburgue, bars (order a drink or buy a snack), or restaurants to do your BMs.
Please do NOT leave them laying on the trail for others to enjoy.

Please do not do your business in shelters where others might need to get out of the rain. It is disgusting.

That said.. don't worry... everything will work itself out just fine :D :D :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are bars and restaurants regularly, so it is easy to find a bathroom. Toilet paper can be a different story.

Hi davroos.

I ended up leaving à day early and after 3 days walk have reached ponto de Lima with sore feet but having fun. THE new hostel here is great! Catch u later maybe. howz it going?

Cheers

muppet

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back