• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One World code sharers are not seamless

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Over the past decade, Iberia Airlines has had financial problems and has deteriorated quite a bit. It is now part of the One World Alliance with primary partners of American Airlines and British Airways for travel to and from the Americas.

Online and with smartphone apps you will have great difficulty getting boarding passes and checking in online. I have had an Iberia Airlines flyer account for quite a while, but it does not seem to remember my passport number and other details. After I re-enter them, it still does not let me check in.

When you buy a ticket from Iberia, you will end up on any of its partners' flights. Iberia airplanes have a bit of legroom; American Airlines and British Airways do not. American Airlines has old equipment, things like CRT screens about every six rows so everyone watches the same programs. My seat reclined no more than 3-4".

Four days ago, my son and grandson flew Iberia then two legs on American. Their bags were checked through to their Baltimore destination and arrived with them. Originally Iberia wanted to check the bags to JFK where they were to be retrieved for customs, then re-checked to Baltimore. My son talked them out of it.

Yesterday, my bags were checked through to BWI without comment by Iberia in Santiago, but were off loaded at JFK where they are still spinning on some carousel as American Airlines looks for them. There were a lot of signs at JFK saying to pick up your bags for customs, but my distinctive backpack was not on either carousel. There were no American Airlines personnel to help (it was an AA flight from Madrid and an AA connection in the U.S.), so I asked the only uniformed person in the region, a U.S. Customs agent, what I should do. I showed him my baggage tag showing the bag was checked through to Baltimore. He knew nothing. Iberia and American do not give the same information, information that changes to stay synchronized with changing security policy. I had a rather lengthy interview at Madrid with a security person about where I had been, how much fun I had, where I was going, why I was going there, etc. The El Al model is being adopted in many places -- "the interview."

The point of this tale is that it appears that security measures now require that the passenger and luggage clear customs at the same place. The One World system is not seamless, and is riddled with ignorant personnel who simply have not been trained on making the entire system work. Airlines operate with the absolute minimum personnel cost possible, so are quite useless in helping. There is no one around to help.

In general the air transportation system is no longer a service business anymore than a gas station is a service station. It is a profit driven group of corporate entities that are out to make money regardless of customer service. The situation is aggravated by security concerns; the small print in airline magazines now admits that a traveler should probably allow three hours connection time in many places (Heathrow, Chicago, JFK, etc.).

A subset of the concept "buyer beware" is "traveler beware." It all will become more inconvenient, I suspect.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very similar to my experience last year and last Monday on the same airlines also flying through Madrid. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ah yes, another suffering One World Alliance member. Sorry to hear about this. I am surprised that your family members were able to check bags through to final US destination. I have always been told that they must be retrieved at point of entry and then re-checked. I thought this was a US customs regulation and had nothing to do with the airline. And I've been doing this for as long as I can remember so I don't think it's anything new.

Hope you are soon reunited with your luggage, falcon, but think how much worse it would have been if this had happened on the way over!!

Congrats on another camino! Laurie

Ps. Iberia may have decent legroom on its international flights but its domestic flights have the least legroom I have ever experienced.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One tip is to check your plane's seat configuration on Seatguru.com before booking. It will tell you the seat width, pitch, legroom, dodgy window placement, entertainment box intruding into footspace, etc. etc. Your booking website should tell you beforehand if you are actually flying with the desired company (ie. Iberia) or one of it's codeshare partners.

I am not sure why anyone would expect better? Airlines, like any other business, are only beholding to shareholders. Customers are just a means to an end.

The best form, imo, of sending a message us is to fill out the the questionnaire's on our experience with as much detail as possible or fly another airline.

In regards to the individuals providing the service, I would attribute that to poor training and lack of supervision versus ignorance.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back