• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Only 14 days to walk on the Norte (sadly) - which section would you recommend?

gvmelissa

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - SdC 2014
Porto - SdC 2016
Norte - 2018
Ing/Fin/Sdc 2019
We were planning on 4 weeks to walk the Norte, starting in Bilbao 14th of May, 2018. Something has come up and we now only have about 14 days to walk. We'll be flying into Bilbao and back out again from there. Debating a couple of options. One would be to bus to Irun and walk for 14 days then bus back to Bilbao. The other would be to bus ahead to somewhere, walk 14 days and then bus back to Bilbao.

I wish we could walk it all this time, but it's just not in the cards. What section(s) would you walk if you had limited time?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Agree with Primitivo 1000% Perfect amount of days to get to SDC and even time to spend a day in the excellent Oviedo. I did like the first 14 days on the Norte from Irun, but moving on to the Primitivo was a relevation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We were planning on 4 weeks to walk the Norte, starting in Bilbao 14th of May, 2018. Something has come up and we now only have about 14 days to walk. We'll be flying into Bilbao and back out again from there. Debating a couple of options. One would be to bus to Irun and walk for 14 days then bus back to Bilbao. The other would be to bus ahead to somewhere, walk 14 days and then bus back to Bilbao.

I wish we could walk it all this time, but it's just not in the cards. What section(s) would you walk if you had limited time?

Hard question. My opinion start at start of Norte in Irún 7 days to Bilbao and then to Santander in 5 days. Easy bus back to Bilbao. You can always start again in Santander to Santiago buen Camino

I arrived (day 6) yesterday in Bilbao. Good weather but Irun to Bilbao is very demanding lots of deep thick mud the width of the path everyday so far and very challenging ascents and descent (I’m in good shape at 60 and able to our climb the kids) so not sure you want that 6 Day challenge without the following couple more weeks to enjoy just walking. Buen camino El Norte is so beautifully different from el Frances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
By the middle of May, it has to be OK. I would say that between Easter and November it is Ok at ant time.

Two years ago I walked the Primitivo. It was wonderful. I can imagine that one of the charms of walking the Norte is the combination of mountains/landviews with views on and walks along the sea. On the Primitivo you won't see the sea.
This year I will walk the Norte with my wife who will walk only two weeks, she likes the sea. That's why the answers to this thread interest me. Perhaps the first week from Irun to Bilbao is to difficult for her. I will stay 3 or 4 weeks longer so I could travel back to Irun from Bilbao ( from where my wife flies home) and do this stretch by myself.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Back