A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Only 30 kms to go!

Camino(s) past & future
September - October 2016 Camino Frances
We are slowing down our walk into Santiago so we can arrive about 10.30 am Monday morning 17/10. What should we do first? Can't check into our hotel until later but can drop our backpacks off when we arrive. We'd love to make midday Pilgrim's mass. We're hearing rumours about "tickets" to mass - can anyone confirm or deny? Is there a better time to line up to get our Compostela? Much appreciated!!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hi and congratulations @MargLav !

Here is what I would do:

Drop off backpack at hotel and go to pilgrims Mass, hug the Apostle, pray at the tomb. Tickets for Mass are not likely, these things only happen if some really, really important dignitary turns up for a major feast day ...

After that check in your hotel, shower and enjoy/celebrate your arrival.

Tomorrow in the morning (shorter queue!) go to the pilgrims office to collect your Compostela.

Buen Camino, SY

Camino(s) past & future
:):):p:)
Hi and congratulations @MargLav !

Here is what I would do:

Drop off backpack at hotel and go to pilgrims Mass, hug the Apostle, pray at the tomb. Tickets for Mass are not likely, these things only happen if some really, really important dignitary turns up for a major feast day ...

After that check in your hotel, shower and enjoy/celebrate your arrival.

Tomorrow in the morning (shorter queue!) go to the pilgrims office to collect your Compostela.

Buen Camino, SY
Thanks for your quick reply! I thought early or late for Compostela would be best. So close now!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo September 2016
You can always go with your camino family and they collect your credentials and tell you when to come back and collect the Compostela. Then you won´t need to wait there. That is what we did.
I agree to leave the backpack at the hotel and enjoy the mass.....it might all be different when you get to the cathedral as it was for me. I was so overwhelmed that I cried quietly for a long time and let those past days pass through my mind. As I left early from Pedrouzo I was the first of all my camino family to get there and had time to reflect and just be.

I waited for them and we then had lunch together.
We went to the mass afterwards and it was an incredible and very emotional day.

Buen Camino and congratulations on reaching Santiago soon. All the best for you.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
You can always go with your camino family and they collect your credentials and tell you when to come back and collect the Compostela. ...
As far as I know that only works for organized groups, for the rest of us it is "one pilgrim, one credencial, one Compostela at the time". Buen Camino, SY

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo September 2016
As far as I know that only works for organized groups, for the rest of us it is "one pilgrim, one credencial, one Compostela at the time". Buen Camino, SY
We must have been lucky then. They asked us if we walked in a group and we said yes.....
We filled in a form and came back after the mass and picked all up.

Camino(s) past & future
We must have been lucky then. They asked us if we walked in a group and we said yes.....
We filled in a form and came back after the mass and picked all up.
Thanks Michael. Sounds like you had a lovely experience - just me and hubby walking in although looking forward to catching up with Camino friends that I'm sure we'll see.

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 115 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%