• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

oops....train from Santiago to Sarria

natascha147

Time of past OR future Camino
june 11,2018
I need your guidance, I was so excited about booking my trip, I made a mistake and booked my train ride from Madrid round trip, so I leave back to Madrid from Sarria!!!! My train leaves at 11:30 from Sarria, which will be the best way back to Sarria from Santiago??? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Taxi or shared ride may be your best bet. I can only see 1 bus per day. Once you consider the extra expense and hassle, you may want to check train fares to Madrid from Santiago de Compostela.

I need your guidance, I was so excited about booking my trip, I made a mistake and booked my train ride from Madrid round trip, so I leave back to Madrid from Sarria!!!! My train leaves at 11:30 from Sarria, which will be the best way back to Sarria from Santiago??? Thanks

You can get the train from Santiago to Sarria, changing on the way at Ourense or Monforte de Lemos. BUT, I can't see a way to do this and be at Sarria station in time for an 11.30 train to Madrid (not sure of your departure date so I just looked at a weekday next week). Possible options:
1. Travel to Sarria the day before, stay there overnight then take your train to Madrid the next day.
2. If it's possible to change your ticket at all, look for your madrid train on the renfe website and see whether it stops on the way at Monforte de Lemos or Ourense. You could pick it up at either of those stops by travelling there from Santiago early in the morning, and there are options for both - easier than trying to get all the way to Sarria. You would probably need to change the departure point on your Madrid ticket though - that should be possible to do at the station, especially as you would just be wanting to get on the same train at a later stop. And of course you'd need to buy a ticket from Santiago to Monforte or Ourense.
3. If that's not possible or the train doesn't stop at either place, you may need to look at cancelling your Sarria-Madrid ticket and buying a new one for Santiago-Madrid. The total cost would depend on whether you have a completely non-refundable ticket, or if it can be changed/cancelled for a fee. it would be much, much easier just to travel direct from Santiago, so you need to balance a possible extra cost against the cost and (in particular) time and stress involved in getting yourself to Sarria or somewhere in between.
4. Bus - but this looks tricky to manage unless you travel the day before. There is a daily 7am bus with Empresa freire to Lugo, then you change to another bus (Monbus company) from Lugo to Sarria. The closest looks like it would get to Sarria at 11.00 - BUT that's to the Sarria bus station, which is some way from the train station so you would have a fast walk between with no time for delays to the bus schedule.
5. Taxi - but this would cost you 100 Euro or more, unless you can find some others to share.

Personally I'd think seriously about ditching the return ticket and going direct from Santiago to Madrid, even if you can't get a refund. The alternatives are making me feel stressed just thinking about someone else having to deal with them!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can get the train from Santiago to Sarria, changing on the way at Ourense or Monforte de Lemos. BUT, I can't see a way to do this and be at Sarria station in time for an 11.30 train to Madrid (not sure of your departure date so I just looked at a weekday next week). Possible options:
1. Travel to Sarria the day before, stay there overnight then take your train to Madrid the next day.
2. If it's possible to change your ticket at all, look for your madrid train on the renfe website and see whether it stops on the way at Monforte de Lemos or Ourense. You could pick it up at either of those stops by travelling there from Santiago early in the morning, and there are options for both - easier than trying to get all the way to Sarria. You would probably need to change the departure point on your Madrid ticket though - that should be possible to do at the station, especially as you would just be wanting to get on the same train at a later stop. And of course you'd need to buy a ticket from Santiago to Monforte or Ourense.
3. If that's not possible or the train doesn't stop at either place, you may need to look at cancelling your Madrid-Sarria ticket and buying a new one for Santiago-Madrid. The total cost would depend on whether you have a completely non-refundable ticket, or if it can be changed/cancelled for a fee. it would be much, much easier just to travel direct from Santiago, so you need to balance a possible extra cost against the cost and (in particular) time and stress involved in getting yourself to Sarria or somewhere in between.
4. Bus - but this looks tricky to manage unless you travel the day before. There is a daily 7am bus with Empresa freire to Lugo, then you change to another bus (Monbus company) from Lugo to Sarria. The closest looks like it would get to Sarria at 11.00 - BUT that's to the Sarria bus station, which is some way from the train station so you would have a fast walk between with no time for delays to the bus schedule.
5. Taxi - but this would cost you 100 Euro or more, unless you can find some others to share.

Personally I'd think seriously about ditching the return ticket and going direct from Santiago to Madrid, even if you can't get a refund. The alternatives are making me feel stressed just thinking about someone else having to deal with them!

Good luck whatever you decide!
Thank you! I think I'm just going to get a new ticket from Santiago!

Actually, they are quite close; about a five minute walk.
Yeah I know - I'm one of those people who gets anxious if I have to go from one place to another without a lot of spare time! And the main point was just to flag the different locations, in case it came as a surprise. But I agree - that central part of Sarria is fairly compact.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If your schedule allows going to Sarria the day before, get on touch with Albergue La Casona de Sarria. www.lacasonadecamino.es
They offer a transfer service from Santiago airport, 4 seats, 100€ for the van. You may be able to share with others coming in that day.

The albergue is beautiful, and just a very short walk from the train station, before you go up the hill to the camino. They have both bunks and private rooms. The couple who run it are very helpful and personable, and speak fluent English.

Have dinner at the excellent restaurant in the Hotel Roma, across from the station, and don't miss the wonderful, communal breakfast at the albergue the next morning, my favorite on the whole Camino.

Alternately, as mentioned above, the train does stop at both Monteforte and Ourense, if you can change your ticket and get to one of those towns easily.

Good luck, whatever you do. Remember, when you get home it will make a great story, whatever happens!

IIRC Monbus.es runs the bus service from Santiago to Sarria, with a required connection at Lugo. Check their schedules at www.monbus.es. English is available (see the small flag icon in the upper right corner).

Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back