• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opción Pie - walking from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures

federico

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 11 & 14
Norte & Ingles 15
Portuguese 16
Via de la Plata 17
Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo 17
Just returned from walking the Camino Torres and Camino Portuguese (coastal) with Variante Espiritual and wanted to provide support for walking the last stage. I walked last Saturday from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures, a stage of about 30-32 kms. The route is well waymarked with yellow arrows and a few of the Route of Father Sarmiento signs which follows the coastline all around the peninsula. In looking for information for this stage I didn't find much about the walk. There were a couple of not too flattering descriptions and definitely the Variante information promotes the maritime finish. I was asked in both albergues about booking the boat. Which by the way didn't seem to be a problem for the other fellow staying in the albergue even though he was the only one. The day before there had been 6 people. The hospitalero in Vilanova albergue wasn't encouraging when told of my choice to walk, even suggestion the 7-10 km walk to Vilagarcia and then taking the train because the rest of the way was not good.

With low expectations I started the walk. The weather was very nice and the walk along the estuary leaving Vilanova was fine. In fact the walk to and through Vilagarcia was very similar to other stages of the Coastal route. Leaving Vilagarcia one is directed to a secondary road that parallels the major highway following the coastline. It rises slightly and provides occasional views of the estuary. The road is like a continuous village with sidewalks on both side and a couple bars and restaurants. This stretch is several kms long and the sidewalks end less than a km before the end where you are directed onto the local trail system of Catoira which gradual takes you down to the estuary and a beautiful nature trail that follows the Ulla River for several kms taking you past the historic Torres do Oeste. If there was an albergue in Catoira this would make a perfect shorter stage but here are hotels in Vilagarcia and Catoira that provide options. After the river trail ends you are in a eucalyptus forest path for another km before coming out on some paved roads in Vilar which eventually lead to the final stretch of 7-8 kms on a paved back road that follows the railway. This was a very peaceful stretch when I walked. A total of 3 cars passed, and a couple trains. Along this way is a pilgrim friendly bar by the river called Bar Playa Fluvial which serves seafood.

At Pontecesures you join the Camino Portuguese. I stayed there at the very nice xunta albergue. This stage was not difficult since it is relatively well signed and relatively flat and as pleasant as any of the coastal stages. The distance was not a factor after walking many similar stages but this one can be shortened with a private stay. It's unfortunate that this walking stage is perceived differently than any other camino walking stage but understandable when one experiences the promotion of the unique pilgrim experience of the "maritime" option. I encourage future Variante Espiritual pilgrims to give consideration to opcion pie.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agreed! I walked this way in May earlier this year. The trail along the Catoira river especially was beautiful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just returned from walking the Camino Torres and Camino Portuguese (coastal) with Variante Espiritual and wanted to provide support for walking the last stage. I walked last Saturday from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures, a stage of about 30-32 kms. The route is well waymarked with yellow arrows and a few of the Route of Father Sarmiento signs which follows the coastline all around the peninsula. In looking for information for this stage I didn't find much about the walk. There were a couple of not too flattering descriptions and definitely the Variante information promotes the maritime finish. I was asked in both albergues about booking the boat. Which by the way didn't seem to be a problem for the other fellow staying in the albergue even though he was the only one. The day before there had been 6 people. The hospitalero in Vilanova albergue wasn't encouraging when told of my choice to walk, even suggestion the 7-10 km walk to Vilagarcia and then taking the train because the rest of the way was not good.

With low expectations I started the walk. The weather was very nice and the walk along the estuary leaving Vilanova was fine. In fact the walk to and through Vilagarcia was very similar to other stages of the Coastal route. Leaving Vilagarcia one is directed to a secondary road that parallels the major highway following the coastline. It rises slightly and provides occasional views of the estuary. The road is like a continuous village with sidewalks on both side and a couple bars and restaurants. This stretch is several kms long and the sidewalks end less than a km before the end where you are directed onto the local trail system of Catoira which gradual takes you down to the estuary and a beautiful nature trail that follows the Ulla River for several kms taking you past the historic Torres do Oeste. If there was an albergue in Catoira this would make a perfect shorter stage but here are hotels in Vilagarcia and Catoira that provide options. After the river trail ends you are in a eucalyptus forest path for another km before coming out on some paved roads in Vilar which eventually lead to the final stretch of 7-8 kms on a paved back road that follows the railway. This was a very peaceful stretch when I walked. A total of 3 cars passed, and a couple trains. Along this way is a pilgrim friendly bar by the river called Bar Playa Fluvial which serves seafood.

At Pontecesures you join the Camino Portuguese. I stayed there at the very nice xunta albergue. This stage was not difficult since it is relatively well signed and relatively flat and as pleasant as any of the coastal stages. The distance was not a factor after walking many similar stages but this one can be shortened with a private stay. It's unfortunate that this walking stage is perceived differently than any other camino walking stage but understandable when one experiences the promotion of the unique pilgrim experience of the "maritime" option. I encourage future Variante Espiritual pilgrims to give consideration to opcion pie.
Fantastic info. I wondered about the route. The guide book I had showed it as 36.7km from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón, which is about another 3km further than Pontecesures.
By the way, there is walking man pilgrim statue in Padron, it's about 200m off the Camino route so easy to miss it.
I've attached a couple of route map images and an internet photo of the statue in Padron.20190621_073843.jpg20190621_073925.jpg20190621_074057.jpg

It's possible that the hospitalero at VNdA has a vested interest in recommending at least one of the boat trips (especially as he pretends not to know of the other).
Thanks
Mark

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thank You!! This is exactly what I want to do if I walk the CP this coming July. I want shorter walks, about 20 km, and you gave me the information I needed. Thanks

Fantastic info. I wondered about the route. The guide book I had showed it as 36.7km from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón, which is about another 3km further than Pontecesures.
By the way, there is walking man pilgrim statue in Padron, it's about 200m off the Camino route so easy to miss it.
I've attached a couple of route map images and an internet photo of the statue in Padron.View attachment 59621View attachment 59622View attachment 59623
Which guidebook is this map from? Thanks

I found this loose leaflet which should be interested to you all.

Attachments

• 5B7D220F-12B2-4D01-B9E2-CC8A10C74F1A.jpeg
    5B7D220F-12B2-4D01-B9E2-CC8A10C74F1A.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 2A99BA1C-60F5-4615-8605-EA0557479208.jpeg
    2A99BA1C-60F5-4615-8605-EA0557479208.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Very encouraging note on this opcion pie (on foot option). I plan to try this on March 23, In about 3 weeks time. Wondering anyone would have the winter experience there?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very encouraging note on this opcion pie (on foot option). I plan to try this on March 23, In about 3 weeks time. Wondering anyone would have the winter experience there?
Do you expect snow in Portugal? . Maybe on top of the mountains in the north east but I don't think so. The mountains are not that high enough for snow.

Do you expect snow in Portugal? . Maybe on top of the mountains in the north east but I don't think so. The mountains are not that high enough for snow.
No tall mountain on Camino Portuguese. Doesn't mean it would not snow, if the weather is right, even along coast line.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No tall mountain on Camino Portuguese. Doesn't mean it would not snow, if the weather is right, even along coast line.
The highest “mountain “ you encounter on the Central Portuguese is the Alto da Portela Grande mountain, 450 meters high so do not expect snow there 😊

along the coast there are not many mountains. Depending on you follow the Sendo Litoral or the beachside but you only will see some hills .

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back