• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Open to criticism on my pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suz2022

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2022 del Norte
Okay! Here's my pack list for my inaugural Camino. Starting del Norte 30th Aug and plan to finish Oct 1. Temps look like very warm days and comfortable nights (mid 50s F). I'm in private rooms the whole way, including a few "nice" hotels where I can treat myself to shampoo and lotion!

Everything just (barely) fits in my 24L Osprey Sirus pack, assuming I'm dressed for hot days. The clothes take almost all the room, even though I've mashed them in ziplock bags. WHAT CAN I DO WITHOUT? I don't want to use my 46L pack, and I'm not going to buy another pack.

toothbrush/paste, floss, comb, vaseline, lip balm, nail trimmers, razor/cartridges, 1/2 bar soap (for body+laundry), travel size deodorant
6 masks, benadryl (2 doses), ibuprofen (24), pepto tablets (6), laundry line and pins, needle/thread, 1st aid tape strips (around deodorant container)
converter, c-cable, USB-charged light for early mornings
mini quickdry towel, spork, eyeshade, earplugs
small frontbag for valuables like passport, credencial, vaxx card, pen, credit/debit cards, cash, phone
net bag for grocery shopping
Camino guidebook (skinny one)
rain jacket (rain+warmth, not super-breathable)
Casual shoes [I hate sandals]
Trail runners: Altra Lone Peak or Salomon SenseRide [I'm tempted to bring both pair and no "casual" shoes. I'd have to lash the pair I'm not wearing to the outside of my pack, but it'd free up a tiny amount of interior room - bring on your arguments!]
2 pr smartwool low socks, 1 pr running socks
3 pr underwear, 2 camis, scarf
1 pair shorts, 1 skort, 1 pants (mostly for nights)
1 tech shortsleeve shirt, 2 tech t-shirts, 1 midweight merino pullover, 1 "better" shirt for evenings
ballcap, sunglasses, reading glasses
golf ball for massage [it's smaller than the lacrosse ball]
2 water bottles, in pack pockets (~1.6L)
(I don't intend to bring a buff, beanie or gloves - can buy something if truly needed)
I will go to Decathlon in Irun for poles and will buy sunscreen and maybe a tiny folding knife for snacks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ditch: towel, some of the shirts, clothesline, ear plugs, physical guide book.
thanks. that sound you hear is me ditching the clothesline (it's a shoelace), earplugs, and 1 t-shirt (another shirt may follow it).

If I ditch the towel (it compacts to 1/2 the size of the palm of my hand), I'd still want something to wipe hands on. I'll think about why this seems important to me...security blanket?

Ditch: towel, some of the shirts, clothesline, ear plugs, physical guide book.

I scanned in the pages of the Brierly guidebook. I could read it on my iPhone. Just an idea if you’re looking to save weight and space.
seems like I need to part ways with the guidebook. that won't gain me room where I need it, but I do run the risk of turning to it too often if I keep it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Loved my earplugs in the albergues, but not needed in private accommodation. I brought a Turkish towel and was glad to have it. Towel isn't necessary if it is available from your private accommodations.

Private rooms throughout. Assuming they’re en-suite; ditch the towel.
[rooms are ensuite, so towel hopefully isn't needed for showering!]
My tiny little towel even goes on day hikes with me to wipe off sweat, get grunge off hands before eating, etc. Consensus is to ditch it, so I'm probably over-valuing this item and will rethink it. BTW, I don't carry single-use wipes...
thanks for getting me to think differently, each of you who've commented on the towel.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Okay! Here's my pack list for my inaugural Camino. Starting del Norte 30th Aug and plan to finish Oct 1. Temps look like very warm days and comfortable nights (mid 50s F). I'm in private rooms the whole way, including a few "nice" hotels where I can treat myself to shampoo and lotion!

Everything just (barely) fits in my 24L Osprey Sirus pack, assuming I'm dressed for hot days. The clothes take almost all the room, even though I've mashed them in ziplock bags. WHAT CAN I DO WITHOUT? I don't want to use my 46L pack, and I'm not going to buy another pack.

toothbrush/paste, floss, comb, vaseline, lip balm, nail trimmers, razor/cartridges, 1/2 bar soap (for body+laundry), travel size deodorant
6 masks, benadryl (2 doses), ibuprofen (24), pepto tablets (6), laundry line and pins, needle/thread, 1st aid tape strips (around deodorant container)
small frontbag for valuables like passport, credencial, vaxx card, pen, credit/debit cards, cash, phone
Trail runners: Altra Lone Peak or Salomon SenseRide [I'm tempted to bring both pair and no "casual" shoes. I'd have to lash the pair I'm not wearing to the outside of my pack, but it'd free up a tiny amount of interior room - bring on your arguments!]
1 tech shortsleeve shirt, 2 tech t-shirts, 1 midweight merino pullover, 1 "better" shirt for evenings
(I don't intend to bring a buff, beanie or gloves - can buy something if truly needed)
I will go to Decathlon in Irun for poles and will buy sunscreen and maybe a tiny folding knife for snacks.
Your issues are clothes and shoes.

Do you need shorts and a skort? Quick-dry shorts will launder and be ready for the morning. Two pairs of shorts might be better - there’s a fair bit of redundant cloth in a skort. (I’m male; I’ve probably seen no more than three actual skorts in nearly 60 years; but it’s not an unreasonable point)

You could probably lose one t-shirt and the clothes line.

We need to talk shoes. OK, so you hate sandals. My ambition to be an astronaut came to a shuddering halt when I was too big to fit in the spacesuit; but I learned to live with it. You need one pair of excellent shoes to walk in and one pair of shoes you might hate but weigh practically nothing to not walk in.

Don’t strap anything on the outside of your pack; you’ll look like a travelling circus.

Personally I’d keep the physical guidebook; but cut away the extraneous pages.

WHAT CAN I DO WITHOUT? I don't want to use my 46L pack, and I'm not going to buy another pack.
Me, I’d turn that around. At the moment you’re having to do a 3 dimensional jigsaw every time you pack and unpack. Cramming isn’t packing. You’ve no room for snacks or spare water. You’re planning on dangling things off the outside of your pack that’ll drive you nuts after a few km of bouncing and shifting the balance of your pack…
Take the 46L, assuming it’s a comfy fit. No one says you have to fill it

Well I started to compose my response and then my computer crashed. I see forum members have weighed in, but I'm going to post this anyway:

I don't enjoy having items lashed to my pack's exterior, apart from a pair of socks airing/drying, so the extra trail shoes would be a no go for me. If the Altras get wet during the day they generally dry quite quickly, especially when stuffed with some newspaper overnight. You might consider just bringing an extra set of aftermarket insoles for them instead of the extra trail shoes.

For myself, I'd only take one set of footwear when staying in private accommodation. If my well-considered footwear are good enough for walking the trail they're good enough for walking around town. (Others forum members may be diametrically opposed to this last statement. ;) )

If you are staying exclusively in private accommodation, you likely won't need a towel, unless you envision using it during the day (?) In that case, a bandanna might suit many needs a little better. When the weather is very hot, it can be soaked in cool water and tied around your neck or forehead, and if the weather is cool it can be used in lieu of a buff or a skull cap. Also, if is good for mopping the brow and, in a real pinch, can be pressed into service as a handkerchief or a pee rag.

------

When staying in private accommodation I find some sort of laundry line very useful, so I wouldn't get rid of your set up. Myself, I favour the pegless type with a hook on either end; the one I have weighs 40 grams. For me, it sure beats having wet laundry strewn around the room. I also use that laundry line to lash down my poncho in a high wind, so it sees double duty.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your issues are clothes and shoes.

Do you need shorts and a skort? Quick-dry shorts will launder and be ready for the morning. Two pairs of shorts might be better - there’s a fair bit of redundant cloth in a skort. (I’m male; I’ve probably seen no more than three actual skorts in nearly 60 years; but it’s not an unreasonable point)

You could probably lose one t-shirt and the clothes line.

We need to talk shoes. OK, so you hate sandals. My ambition to be an astronaut came to a shuddering halt when I was too big to fit in the spacesuit; but I learned to live with it. You need one pair of excellent shoes to walk in and one pair of shoes you might hate but weigh practically nothing to not walk in.

Don’t strap anything on the outside of your pack; you’ll look like a travelling circus.

Personally I’d keep the physical guidebook; but cut away the extraneous pages.
thanks. the skort is way more comfortable than shorts (and shorter!), and will be my everyday item. it's athletic wear, so quick dry. I should ditch the shorts, which i now realize were there as a backup. I have already ditched a t-shirt.

I'll give one more run at sandals, or look for something even more minimal than the slipon shoes i set aside. I promise to not be a traveling circus...

Weight isn't an issue - the loaded pack is 11 lbs before water and snacks. This is all about volume; you're right - it's clothes and shoes. too bad I can't skip the rain jacket...

Our thoughts-take the bigger pack, and you will have all the room you need for everything - all 11 lbs- on your list. That way you do not have to play tetris getting everything into a cramped space each day, nor have the items hanging on the outside of the pack banging into you with every step you take. Plus you will have more space for the food/snacks to eat along the way! Just our thoughts!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also like to have a tiny towel everywhere - it can be a cotton bandanna, or a tiny microfiber one. Useful for wiping sweat off your brow, or drying hands after washing.

I don't take a clothes line, for the couple of items I wash daily. There is enough furniture in private rooms to creatively drape it; if not, that is what walking poles are for when you are not walking.

Now that you have abandoned one t-shirt and the shorts, you are getting down to the basics. As @henrythedog points out, the second shoes are your problem. Getting rid of a clothesline and a micro towel will not compensate for the extra shoes! Carrying an extra pair of shoes may be a game-changer for packing and the decision of which pack to carry.

The clothes take almost all the room, even though I've mashed them in ziplock bags.
Sometimes mashing clothes into brick-like bundles makes the packing less efficient than just stuffing everything into the body of the back pack.

Me, I’d turn that around. At the moment you’re having to do a 3 dimensional jigsaw every time you pack and unpack. Cramming isn’t packing. You’ve no room for snacks or spare water. You’re planning on dangling things off the outside of your pack that’ll drive you nuts after a few km of bouncing and shifting the balance of your pack…
Take the 46L, assuming it’s a comfy fit. No one says you have to fill it

Our thoughts-take the bigger pack, and you will have all the room you need for everything - all 11 lbs- on your list. That way you do not have to play tetris getting everything into a cramped space each day, nor have the items hanging on the outside of the pack banging into you with every step you take. Plus you will have more space for the food/snacks to eat along the way! Just our thoughts!

thanks for the gentle reminders. It's not quite tetris, but it does involve compression of my one sack of clothes. The dangly shoe idea is off the list.

I've gotten helpful input, and my 24L already has gained some space by ditching a few items that were probably there "just in case." That said, the 46L is sitting next to it, pleading its case to me.

These are the things on your list that I either didn't bring on Camino part 2, or brought and didn't use:

spork, shopping bag (I ate in bars and cafes)
laundry line and pins ( I was staying in albergues, and there was always a line)
torch -never needed it -light at 5.30 am, and enough light in corridors for night-time bathroom trips
massage ball
razor
eyeshade
better shirt for evening - no-one dresses for the evening
third pair of leg coverings; 1 pair walking trousers + 1 spare were plenty
1 tech shirt; 2 quick-dry walking shirts were enough
most of my meds: I just had enough painkillers/anti-diarrheals to get me to a pharmacy
camis , but I did have 2 bras
third pair of socks - but I might have been in trouble if it had rained for days
third pair of knickers 2 pairs of quick dry was enough

All this plus a down blanket and sheet sleeping bag fitted into a 20 litre Osprey. A lightweight 20l drybag was really good for compressing soft stuff and meant no need for a rain cover. There was enough spare space, after I'd done a really tight pack in Santiago, for me to bring a few souvenirs home.

Happy packing (and walking!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My tiny little towel even goes on day hikes with me to wipe off sweat, get grunge off hands before eating, etc. Consensus is to ditch it, so I'm probably over-valuing this item and will rethink it. BTW, I don't carry single-use wipes...
thanks for getting me to think differently, each of you who've commented on the towel.
Maybe just a bandana to dry your hands and many other uses

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ditch the poncho and bring a rain jacket and pack cover. I bought an expensive poncho and never used in two caminos - too heavy, hot, and pain to pack/unpack. I might get a little more wet - but not usually.

Ditch the extra pair of shoes. Instead of sandals get a pair of Toms. They are super lightweight. I would still take the earplugs. Depending on your room and what night is it is or if there is a festival where you are staying it can get really noisy in the street. Even people just sitting outside and talking long after you may want to call it a night. I would carry wipes in case natural calls. Also carry some zip lock sandwich bags to dispose of your soiled wipes in a bin. You will need to carry them for a while. You did not mention that you would have a backpack cover just a raincoat. I think a poncho is alot easier and covers your pack. I agree with Tinca who said take the bigger pack. It is going to be a drag stuffing and stuffing your stuff in a backpack that can't fit anything else. What if you need a fleece because it gets cold in the mornings and gloves/beanie? Where will you put them when it starts to get really warm again at 10AM and cold again when you go to dinner? Take the bigger pack and don't fill it. Most of the other things is your personal preference or women's clothing which I have less than no opinion on. Except unless you need to wear something "nice" in the evenings, which some do, no one cares how you will be dressed or if your makeup is running ;)

The Brierly guidebook is not available as a Kindle book.
His maps only book is.
I knew that at one time only his map book was available. I bought it in 2019 but barely used it as I thought using Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino for albergues and Gronze for albergues and distances was easier for me.
I saw this a while back on Amazon and assumed because the price was like 3 times what I paid for the map on it was the guidebook. Am I wrong, sorry for the misinformation if I am.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
maybe better to have a lighterpack list with weight of everything?

only one pair of shoes, either Brooks Cascadia 16 or maybe sense ride 4 and usually bring Birkenstock Barbados EVA slides 7.8oz. as a luxury, my 30L pack is still about 9Lbs (since we are using lbs.)

I like this line for clothes 1.3oz and tiny:

my microfiber towel is 1.6oz

I'll walk late Sept

Hi, I walk with the same size rucsac and this is what I would do

Buy some very light dry bags, like sea to summit, then you can squeeze air out. I use 3 color coded
Take safety pins on back of pack for drying socks
Use a liquid Deodorant and put in tiny bottle, it's amazing how far it goes, try out at home to see how much you use
Consider taking a bit of Duck tape rolled around something, would usually be walking poles

What i would take out:
Nail trimmers, you can buy en route if you need
Razor and cartridges, consider getting waxed before you go
USB light, use your phone. I always take tiny little fairy lights for ambient lighting , or to identify me if I'm walking in the dark
Half the Ibuprofen
Sport
Eyeshadow, use scark or socks
Net bag, can use dry bag
Water bottles maybe just take one?
Clothes have already been talked about

I personally walk with 3 dresses 2 scarves (as towels etc) and a cashmere jumper

Looks good--Im the opposite. Did the Norte in august-September 2019 at 72 and carried 16 kilos. But i was prepared to sleep outside . Lot of people had to do so then as Albergues filled up and some albergues were even giving tents to pilgrims. Before walking the norte, i did my practice by walking from Santiago to finisterre where i met people who had just finished the Norte--All advised me to be prepared to sleep outside as they had to do so several nights. Norte is tough! If you can see a windmill, you soon learn you will be walking on that mountain top before sundown!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Brierly guidebook is not available as a Kindle book.
His maps only book is.
When i walked the Norte in 2019, very few people had a guide book or cared where they were going to stay each night. The Norte has lots of side trails and "Short cuts" and people tend to leave the main route frequently. I carried two different books and lent them to others at almost every albergue.

I slept in albergues only during both Caminos, so my experience is slightly different from yours.

I did take a clothesline. Remember, it isn’t actually a clothesline, it is a piece of rope that can come in handy during the trip. Before you leave, memorize a couple of knots.

You don’t need nice clothes for the evening. Since you wash your clothes ever day, they stay relatively clean.

I agree with the above comments on the extra shoes. No need.

I think you are unlikely to pick up extras along the way, so taking a slightly larger pack from the beginning, not fully loaded, will be easier for you to pack and unpack.

Don’t hang stuff off the outside of your pack, for so many reasons. Balance, snagging on stuff, you look silly.

Massage ball? Nope.

I carried my copy of the Brierly in a zip loc in the side pocket of my cargo shorts. I used it very often, sometimes even used it for a stamp or two, written notes, etc.

Do not forget to get hiking poles. Shoes, sock, poles, the three most important pieces of equipment for your trip, Imho. .

"golf ball for massage [it's smaller than the lacrosse ball]
(I don't intend to bring a buff, beanie or gloves - can buy something if truly needed)"

My daughter is a massage therapist - she says keep the ball but find a lighter alternative like cork.
You might appreciate a buff to cover your ears if there's wind off the water as well as cool temps.
I agree with the larger pack and with stuffing clothes rather than packaging in ziplocks. I had two stuff sacks - one for clean and one for dirty. My zipoff pants did not require daily washing - could usually wear them 2 days at least unless it was muddy and mostly worn as shorts after the morning chill wore off (wear them much longer than that if on a wilderness trip around like-minded folks! HaHa)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would ditch the clothesline, book, a couple shirts, (you won’t need an extra for evening), also the skort. As much as I love my skorts I’ve discovered they tend to dry slower. Also the towel and possibly one of the water bottles?

ditch the poncho and bring a rain jacket and pack cover. I bought an expensive poncho and never used in two caminos - too heavy, hot, and pain to pack/unpack. I might get a little more wet - but not usually.
no poncho on my list; I was planning for a rain jacket. My pack has an integrated cover. (wish i could skip the rain jacket altogether, but that probably wouldn't be wise)

I would ditch the clothesline, book, a couple shirts, (you won’t need an extra for evening), also the skort. As much as I love my skorts I’ve discovered they tend to dry slower. Also the towel and possibly one of the water bottles?
Thanks, I will do a test dry on my skort overnight at home, not in a breezy area, and see how it does. If it's still damp in the morning, then I'll ditch it. I'm accustomed to sun drying it here, which won't be possible there.

The towel is microfiber, much smaller than a deck of cards, and is in lieu of a bandana, pee cloth, buff, etc (not all at the same time, of course!) Water bottles are in the outside pockets of the pack, so they're fine.

no poncho on my list; I was planning for a rain jacket. My pack has an integrated cover. (wish i could skip the rain jacket altogether, but that probably wouldn't be wise)
The rainjacket / poncho issue that many miss, or disregard, is the compression effect of your rucksack straps in rainfall. Waterproofs are rated in atmospheres or column inches of water they will resist without regard to the pumping effect of the straps of your pack or the saturation of your pack by the run-off between your rainjacket and the unshielded fabric of your pack resting against you.I hate ponchos so use an umbrella. Keeps my shoulders and particularly my pack dry

thanks. that sound you hear is me ditching the clothesline (it's a shoelace), earplugs, and 1 t-shirt (another shirt may follow it).

If I ditch the towel (it compacts to 1/2 the size of the palm of my hand), I'd still want something to wipe hands on. I'll think about why this seems important to me...security blanket?
If you are only using the towel to dry your hands, why not just use a small cotton bandana.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Suz, I think this list is good-to-go. If the 46L is comfy and works for carry-on I'd go with that.
For weeks you'll have a beautiful blue sea winking at you on your right side and there are some fantastic beaches and bays to take a dip. But I guess you can pick up some kind of swim suit along the way for that.
If you don't mind that little bit of extra weight then I think it's actually a pretty good idea to take the second pair of trail shoes. Then you can explore the towns in the afternoons and evenings while the other pair dries out - be it from sweat or rain!

I feel that the level of obsession about pack weight is over the top,I mean taking pages out of the guide,it's become a competition as to who has the smallest pack.Whatever anyone is comfortable with and a proper fitting backpack are what it should be about,just saying

My daughter is a massage therapist - she says keep the ball but find a lighter alternative like cork.
Your daughter has inspired me in a different direction - I will use a water bottle for massage...it's strong enough to roll on and big enough to work anything that's tight.
My zipoff pants did not require daily washing - could usually wear them 2 days at least unless it was muddy and mostly worn as shorts after the morning chill wore off
Like you, I intend to limit washing to when items actually need it.

I feel that the level of obsession about pack weight is over the top,I mean taking pages out of the guide,it's become a competition as to who has the smallest pack.Whatever anyone is comfortable with and a proper fitting backpack are what it should be about,just saying
The OP’s question was ‘What can I do without?’

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you need 6 masks? I brought 1 fabric mask and 2 N95 style masks (the later required in Italy in public transport - Spain doesn't care what you wear).
Thread - I drain my blisters as needed - but I would never thread them myself. Too great of a risk for infection.
I didn't wear my hat hardly at all (both Caminos) - I had a buff to cover my hairline and forehead (wore like a bandana but mostly open to cover the entire hairline and used the buff as an eye shade when needed).
Spork/knife may or may not be needed. I rarely used mine and could have lived without them
Any guidebooks can be carried on your phone in a kindle app or something
Trail runners - I say don't bring both. Bring one and find a comfortable casual shoe. I personally like lightweight sandals but if you don't like sandals then of course bring something you DO like.
Scarf - again a buff can be used for head or neck - but scarf is also multipurpose so bring what you prefer. You can also use the scarf as an eye shade if needed.
Re: Pants/shorts/skort - pick 2 only.
You have a lot of shirts - but I like a lot of shirts lol. I bring 1 tank, 2 tees, 1 long sleeve.
net bag - I actually like the yellow reusable bags they have in the albergues - they are super light and lighter than any net bags I have had.

Anyhow - overall your pack sounds really good - these are just my thoughts. Whatever you can NOT bring - the better! Overall - I think your biggest thing is to not bring two trail runners and if willing go digital for guidebook. Your pack is paired down nicely overall.

Edited to say - I would ditch the clothes line - and instead of "clothes" pins - I used safety pins which I could use on a clothes line or pin damp stuff to the outside of my pack. I also used a sanitized safety pin (preferably a brand new/unused one) to pierce blisters instead of a sewing needle. Again - multipurpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - but when hiking for a month or more - pack weight can sometimes make or break your experience. The lighter the pack, the more comfortable you will be. The more comfortable you are, the better experience you will have on your Camino. How many people scale down their pack before leaving - only to stop at the first major town to find a post office to mail home stuff they should never have brought in the first place? I have done it on both my Caminos. My daughter just did it. And it seems like a majority of those who I walked long distances with did it. Yes - a proper fitting backpack should come first - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about what you put in it. Besides - while I do not compete with OTHER people's pack weights - it is fun to compete with my own. Part of my pre-hike fun is to weigh and reweight everything I am putting in my pack - and when possible - finding lighter alternatives. A lighter bag, a lighter pair of pants, a lighter jacket, a lighter spork... or ditching the spork and ditching the book for an app... finding one lighter item or ditching one item is not likely to make a huge difference - but the more lighter items you find - and the more non essential items you ditch - you are more likely to have a noticeable difference in comfort level. And then it is the fun of realizing how little we really need to survive in whatever setting you are hiking in. And on a Camino with albergues - you really don't need to carry much at all.

When i walked the Norte in 2019, very few people had a guide book or cared where they were going to stay each night. The Norte has lots of side trails and "Short cuts" and people tend to leave the main route frequently. I carried two different books and lent them to others at almost every albergue.
Yes - I liked having an app with a good map that I could see "if I take that road/path - will I still get to where I am going?". There were a couple places where I said "why they heck would I go THAT way when I can go THIS way?" lol I used the "farout" hiking gps app (but they don't have one for the primitivo so I had to use a camino app for that)

My neighbor cuts her finger nails and toe nails EVERY Morning so she does not have to carry the weight.

On the other hand after finishing my first Camino from SJPDP to santiago, 19 of us who had walked together sometimes and stayed in the same albergues some nights , pulled a bunch of tables together at an outside bar to discuss the Camino. The subject of weight came up and EVERY person said they would carry more if walking it again. Weight is not that important. Most women said they would carry a BIG fluffy towel and some also said they would bring a hair dryer. Guys said they would carry a hair dryer just to be popular with the women hikers! Don't know how many times people asked to borrow my knife to cut parts of their lunch, so not surprised a lot said they would bring a high quality knife next time.

My neighbor cuts her finger nails and toe nails EVERY Morning so she does not have to carry the weight.

On the other hand after finishing my first Camino from SJPDP to santiago, 19 of us who had walked together sometimes and stayed in the same albergues some nights , pulled a bunch of tables together at an outside bar to discuss the Camino. The subject of weight came up and EVERY person said they would carry more if walking it again. Weight is not that important. Most women said they would carry a BIG fluffy towel and some also said they would bring a hair dryer. Guys said they would carry a hair dryer just to be popular with the women hikers! Don't know how many times people asked to borrow my knife to cut parts of their lunch, so not surprised a lot said they would bring a high quality knife next time.
I'm guessing that the vino tinto was flowing freeing during this "discussion."

(Where's a grain of salt when you need it? Or better yet, the whole dang bag of salt. :rolleyes:)

I'll give my final reply on this thread based on this comment. I might fit in with xin loi's circle of people!

My question may have been unclear - I'm not looking to strip grams off the list; I could easily carry 8kg vs the ~4kg loaded pack that I'm at. As several people noted, it came down to footwear and clothes!

I've realized I don't want to go into this expecting to shop for small essentials; I'd rather chat with new friends, explore a village, and practice my Spanish with bar staff. Credit to the poster who reminded me that I'll be surrounded by beauty, with the water as my constant right-hand companion.

I appreciate all the people who have offered their thoughts. It's exactly what I asked for. Whether or not I heed your advice, hearing it helps me plan what's right for me. Your mileage may vary!

My big changes are just these three;
* I found a pair of thin-soled sandals in my closet that take less space than either pair I'd considered (Clarks or Salomon). ** I am ditching one t-shirt. *** I will ditch the shorts; the skort is more versatile and it won't be in my pack anyway.

With this, I can add three 1-lb bags of nuts and easily zip up that 24L (it has an integrated rain cover - don't all?). There will be nothing hanging outside my pack - not even socks.

I appreciate the encouragement to use my 46L; I tried it, but at half-full, it's way too much space for what I wish to bring; I couldn't even find a way to get it to 3/4 full. I'm looking at a 36L, but the 24L fits my body so perfectly that it'll be hard to beat. Comfort matters, as people have reminded me!

If you're still reading...(since many of us are tl;dr types these days!)
I ought to have emphasized that one of my personal values is to be very eco-aware. I avoid single-use items/ convenience/mini packs and things that I don't want in my local waste stream. So, the tiny containers in which I carry ibuprofen, etc stay, as does that versatile microtowel that's smaller than a bandanna. These are all part of my regular hiking kit.

This discussion also helped me realize I want a few comforts and not skip things that are important in regular life. For me, that means KN/N 95 masks in crowded indoor settings (just like at home); and my scarf and ball cap to shield sun (melanoma anyone?) and give warmth if needed. Since I don't use makeup, a hair dryer, or a hairbrush, I'll shave my legs, use a deodorant that I know works for me, have one nicer shirt, and regularly trim my nails. Nobody suggested it (yet), but I'm still packing dental floss - oral health doesn't take a vacation! Again, your mileage may vary!

If you're out there without a book, I look forward to getting to know you as you browse through mine ;-)

Excellent, buen camino.

But - hang on a moment … 3lbs of nuts?

I like nuts, and probably eat more nuts than I should - but they’re on my list to bring home from Spain. The almonds, especially, are excellent.

Might you consider carrying fewer nuts and replenishing your stock as you go?

Excellent, buen camino.

But - hang on a moment … 3lbs of nuts?

I like nuts, and probably eat more nuts than I should - but they’re on my list to bring home from Spain. The almonds, especially, are excellent.

Might you consider carrying fewer nuts and replenishing your stock as you go?
ha! the bags of nuts were simply a test to see how much space I had! They're staying home. I've learned the hard way to just not try to bring food across national lines. Canada, the US, UK, and NZ all have caught me with things I didn't even realize I had in my pack; sometimes a piece of fruit that had left the US, traveled around, and headed back home with me ;-) The only funny one was when a Maine-based USCPB guy didn't know what a mango was and just waved me through on our way back from Quebec.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've realized I don't want to go into this expecting to shop for small essentials;
These words really stood out for me because when I'm on the Camino, with the exception of shopping for food in a Tienda, I don't like to take the time to shop for "things". I never even knew what a "China shop" was that forum members would often mention until I asked someone what they were.
That said, I do realize in a pinch or an emergency, shopping may be necessary.

P.S. I too, bring dental floss.😁

Last edited:
I am a fan of a pareo towel dress cover head dress against sun. With my cloth line It was a privacy curtain.
You can do it like we all do ditch what you do not need while you walking.I liked the little trick with filling drinking straws with the ointments I needed. they were little light and hygenical.
Take some kind of crocks for evening walks they do not rub like flip flops may. Try the thin sandals if your feel every stone? at home. My feet became very tender.
A drink systhem that will allow you to stay hydrated. I distrust the bladders, but had a kind of extended straw that screws on a regular bottle which I kept outside.
l
This year my stuff became lighter and lighter because I forgot something in every Albergue. 🤪

I am a fan of a pareo towel dress cover head dress against sun. With my cloth line It was a privacy curtain.
You can do it like we all do ditch what you do not need while you walking.I liked the little trick with filling drinking straws with the ointments I needed. they were little light and hygenical.
Take some kind of crocks for evening walks they do not rub like flip flops may. Try the thin sandals if your feel every stone? at home. My feet became very tender.
A drink systhem that will allow you to stay hydrated. I distrust the bladders, but had a kind of extended straw that screws on a regular bottle which I kept outside.
l
This year my stuff became lighter and lighter because I forgot something in every Albergue. 🤪
thanks! I tested my sandals; they are hard-soled, with leather straps, and pretty comfy. Don't know why I haven't liked them in the past. Maybe too girly-girl for me ;-)

I'm with you on the no-bladder approach. I have a very nice 1L Hydroflask and a bottle designed for cycling with a drinking nipple; with very flexible shoulders, they're easy to get in and out of the side pockets of my pack.

I hope to not follow your lead of forgetting items and would rather not ditch unwanted items for Spain to deal with. I plan to even bring home my hiking poles as we need a spare pair here for guests.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
LMAO - now that is an out of the box way to save weight - but then again - perhaps your neighbor should ditch the nail clippers and grow out the finger and toe nails and save even more weight! LMAO

last time was more a on moment decission it was my fourth. So far the best I had time to realy see the way and its people just to enjoy life.
The other times I had a plan a guide a plan b a plan c and a check list not to forget my stuff all laminated in as the route the map. It worked, but it it worked without guide laminated maps and plan a b and c.
It was so relaxing. I took abreak when I was tired eat when I was hungry followed the arrows or the google maps just great.
No worries.
A friend who rode his Bike from Germany to India told me something I like to share. I asked him how could you eat that stuff on the way? He said thats the wrong questio. I said ok what is the right one. He said: Will this further me along the way.
So whatever you pack ask yourself this question.
My pack was 7 kg. about the same stuff you have including ultra thin cutting board knife I bought in Spain for cooking . Emergency rations of red lentins and noodles for two meals. A cup teabags, nescafee packs for cold coffee, first aid kit, miniature repair kit. duct tape wrapped around the walking poles. Multi use shampoo soaps 100 sun screen meds. walking boots, hoka one one trainers and shower shoes crocks. Anything else its not that expensive you buy it on the way you do not need it anymore you leave it for a fellow pilgrim or the kid on the street that needs a hand out.The only thing I realy wanted back with me was my back pack and my poles everything else I had goten second hand so no big deal.
What I realy trying to say as less you take as easier is the walk.But maybe the Camino needed four times to teach me that. This is just me.

if you are walking with an injury every ounce counts! in that case it IS important to keep the weight down - both body and pack. shipping the pack ahead with a service is not an appealing option to everyone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pretty great packing for an "inaugural" Camino! But where are you going to put the inevitable lunch baguette??! The Norte is on my short list and I haven't hiked the trail yet. But I'm headed out late fall for a different route and expecting a bit cooler weather. Here's simplified list of what will go in my 32 liter pack, including what is on my body: 3 bottoms (zip offs, shorts, capri leggings), 4 tops (2 wool, 2 tech), 4 undies, 5 socks (I HATE wet socks), 2 bras, rain jacket/pants, light fleece. Toiletries, electronics, paperwork. Poles. Silk sleep sack or light 1 pound bag. First aid kit. Garmin InReach. Guide book/map (old school, I like paper). Documents/cards/passport. Depending on route and facilities, heating coil, mug and coffee. Water bladder plus extra liter smart water bottle. Doesn't seem like much until I write it out!

You could bring a buff instead of a towel if it is just for wiping sweat. Also helpful for keeping the sun off your head, Or you can wet it and put it around you neck or head to stay cool. if you are brining a skort, you could also bring tights instead of pants. that is what I wore in the evening when it was cool. I also had zipper hiking pants that can be made into shorts so if it was cool I could wear pants and if not, I could wear short (this never actually happened on my camino in May of 2016 as it was chilly nearly the whole way). On my next camino my plan is to bring 1 pair of shorts with 2 sets of the bottom portion that zips on to make them hiking trousers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,
you have an excellent list to begin with. I agree with everyone who mentioned the buff- rather than the scarf. Merino wool buff so it wont smell.
You do need backup footwear so your shoes can dry. I agree with the super light options. Not necessary to love them, but, in my case, after my first year with zero sandals, I upgraded to be more confortable To slightly heavier and bulkier sandals. Still light.
When it rains on the Norte, it can last all day and soak through most rain gear - you will sweat inside any kit and get wet from the inside too….. So whatever you choose, be ready to be wet. And it can rain for several days in a row…..
What is the weight difference between the two packs? Because some free space is always good. I have had way more success tightly rolling clothes rather than squishing them into any bag or lightweight packing bags.
Towel is absolutely required for albergues, but in private accommodation I always loved the plushy towels rather than my synthetic never-feel-dry microfibre towel…..
Buen camino

I brought along a facecloth to wipe my face, it got very sweaty, and it was one of the most useful things I brought with me.

I wouldn't like using a Buff, especially a merino wool one for wiping sweat, drying hands, etc.
I like my small Sea to Summit Airlite Towel that I attach to the shoulder strap on my backpack. At 32 x 16 in/80 x 40 cm it's also big enough to dry my long hair. And it only weighs 0.4 oz/12 gm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there,
you have an excellent list to begin with. I agree with everyone who mentioned the buff- rather than the scarf. Merino wool buff so it wont smell.
You do need backup footwear so your shoes can dry. I agree with the super light options. Not necessary to love them, but, in my case, after my first year with zero sandals, I upgraded to be more confortable To slightly heavier and bulkier sandals. Still light.
When it rains on the Norte, it can last all day and soak through most rain gear - you will sweat inside any kit and get wet from the inside too….. So whatever you choose, be ready to be wet. And it can rain for several days in a row…..
What is the weight difference between the two packs? Because some free space is always good. I have had way more success tightly rolling clothes rather than squishing them into any bag or lightweight packing bags.
Towel is absolutely required for albergues, but in private accommodation I always loved the plushy towels rather than my synthetic never-feel-dry microfibre towel…..
Buen camino
Thanks!
I tried a 36L with my stuff for a 25km outing; it wasn't as comfortable as my 24, and my list fits into the 24 with room. Also, comfort is priority as is not buying more gear (environment); weight isn't an issue.
Trying some Chaco sandals; will see if they are comfortable for some shorter days' walks. No rain pants; wet legs will cool me off! I'll have my handy microtowel (ref: Trecile) to dry off rain or sweat (ref: WilliamTee52's facecloth) or to wet around my neck to cool off.
I'll try rolling clothes; it sounded like more work but maybe I'll like it. No need for a buff in addition to my other items. Scarf is for when I want to feel fancy. Some people carry coffee kits, I'll have my summery scarf...

I wouldn't like using a Buff, especially a merino wool one for wiping sweat, drying hands, etc.
I like my small Sea to Summit Airlite Towel that I attach to the shoulder strap on my backpack. At 32 x 16 in/80 x 40 cm it's also big enough to dry my long hair. And it only weighs 0.4 oz/12 gm
Trecile, you are a such wealth of information, but when I read your gear suggestions all I can think is "me want" and I've just now ordered the airlite towel. 😅

Trecile, you are a such wealth of information, but when I read your gear suggestions all I can think is "me want" and I've just now ordered the airlite towel. 😅
Sorry if I'm an enabler. 😂

I actually bought that towel on the Camino, somewhere around Santo Domingo to replace a Buff that I lost that I had been using to dry my hair.

Maybe take a bandana. Use as towel, scarf etc. Very lightweight.

Take the 46L pack. It won't be maxed out and will be small enough to carry on.
The smallest pack I ever carried was a 32L. That was for the summer and I carried very little. A 24L pack sounds too small.

Take the 46L pack. It won't be maxed out and will be small enough to carry on.
The smallest pack I ever carried was a 32L. That was for the summer and I carried very little. A 24L pack sounds too small.

Perhaps you missed my replies that the 24L has ample room for my packing plus lots of snacks after I swapped 1 pair of footwear and eliminated one t-shirt? Technical experts (and physics) confirm my assessment to not carry a pack that is nearly 2x the needed volume. The weight wouldn't be distributed correctly, so the pack would not sit right.

Your pack needs vary, and that's cool. As I've learned through this post, definitions of "minimal" really vary by person!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I suggest you take some rain pants. Rain pants serve multiple purposes. In prolonged rain conditions, they will keep you dryer. On cooler mornings, they keep you warmer and in windy weather it protects you from too much heat loss. I walked in September and October, on multiple mornings, it was 33 degrees F when we started out at 8 am. We walked three straight days in high winds and rain - 25 to 35 mph winds all day long. Even though it's August and September when you walked, there will still be some very cold conditions, and wet legs will not be what you want on those days.

Perhaps you missed my replies that the 24L has ample room for my packing plus lots of snacks after I swapped 1 pair of footwear and eliminated one t-shirt? Technical experts (and physics) confirm my assessment to not carry a pack that is nearly 2x the needed volume. The weight wouldn't be distributed correctly, so the pack would not sit right.

Your pack needs vary, and that's cool. As I've learned through this post, definitions of "minimal" really vary by person!
"Everything just (barely) fits in my 24L Osprey Sirus pack, assuming I'm dressed for hot days. The clothes take almost all the room, even though I've mashed them in ziplock bags."

Technical experts (and physics) confirm my assessment to not carry a pack that is nearly 2x the needed volume.
That surely depends on the type of back pack, how it is structured, and how it can be cinched up. Some 46L packs - for example with discrete compartments and appropriate straps to ensure that everything doesn't settle in a big lump at the bottom - could be used perfectly well even when they are not full.

The matter of weight distribution is more significant for hikers and campers who are carrying much more weight, including some items that are heavy/dense and others that are not. On the Camino, you will be carrying no large and heavy items. The physics of dangling shoes from the outside of a small pack should also be considered.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To free up some space in your pack, getting clothes dense is a good way. There are lots of videos on YouTube about this - here is one - Packing tightly

Good for you if you can do it in the small pack. I do tend to carry a bit of food for emergencies (like one day when all cafés and food sources were closed) and lunch as well. so some spare room is a necessity.

I also have gotten away with attaching my sandals to the outside of my pack bu it has several great ways of doing that so that they are not dangling. We saw the odd lone boot or sock and wondered about the rest of their story and the sequel….

Buen Camino

Loved my earplugs in the albergues, but not needed in private accommodation. I brought a Turkish towel and was glad to have it. Towel isn't necessary if it is available from your private accommodations.
I used a bandanna to wipe sweat during the days that could be better used than the towel

To free up some space in your pack, getting clothes dense is a good way. There are lots of videos on YouTube about this - here is one - Packing tightly

Good for you if you can do it in the small pack. I do tend to carry a bit of food for emergencies (like one day when all cafés and food sources were closed) and lunch as well. so some spare room is a necessity.

I also have gotten away with attaching my sandals to the outside of my pack bu it has several great ways of doing that so that they are not dangling. We saw the odd lone boot or sock and wondered about the rest of their story and the sequel….

Buen Camino
I also just walked (Aug 1 return of Norte and Primitivo) with a friend (small male) who had a 24L pack and he had another bag hanging off the front (his baby) that he eventually learned to not carry. If you buy anything that doesn’t fit in your pack then it’s going to have to hang somewhere and that bouncing against you can be disruptive for some as it was for him. Maybe a larger pack. I would suggest considering not bringing both shoes as one pair will end up clunking against your pack. I brought flip flops for the summer temps and say a few others with them, and I hate the strap sandal look but they did seem more comfortable and I was really envying them as you could wear them with socks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.