A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Opening a coronavirus thread for forum discussion

2020 Camino Guides
Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
NOTE FROM THE MODS: This thread has been closed. See the follow-up thread here.

As this article reports, the first instance of coronavirus on mainland Spain has been confirmed. With that sobering news, the virus has come front and center for many pilgrims. We are going to try again to open the forum to discussion of factual information and confirmed official actions. Fearmongering and what we consider to be fake news (and that extends to unsubstantiated rumors) will be deleted. We understand that there is likely to be considerable anxiety and uncertainty while the trajectory of this virus plays out, so please keep your reports to those items that can be substantiated in reputable mainstream news. With people coming to the forum from all continents, the news reporting each one of us sees is likely to focus on different things, and this thread should be a place for us to get a fuller picture of the ongoing and emerging crisis.

Buen camino, hopeful for forum cooperation in this endeavor, Laurie

Rule 7 still applies - disagreements with a moderator's rulings are not to be the subject of public debate. Negative points will be awarded for any member in breach.

Last edited:

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19
I am trying to be sensible too BUT hard to make a decision with flights planned for departure from Oz in 4 days (to Italy first) then spain after on mar19.
Wondering what restrictions may be imposed on travellers from Italy. I suppose no one has a crystal ball .
Currently (as at feb25) Australian government site advises normal precautions in non northern regions of Italy (those highlighted in yellow in pic)..
however your info above @Bradypus leaves me wondering if there might be restrictions on incoming from Italy ?
Decisions , decision , whether to cancel altogether.

Annie

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
somewhere between "not enough" and "way too many"
I am trying to be sensible too BUT hard to make a decision with flights planned for departure from Oz in 4 days (to Italy first) then spain after on mar19.
Wondering what restrictions may be imposed on travellers from Italy. I suppose no one has a crystal ball .
Currently (as at feb25) Australian government site advises normal precautions in non northern regions of Italy (those highlighted in yellow in pic)..
however your info above @Bradypus leaves me wondering if there might be restrictions on incoming from Italy ?

Annie
Annie -

I would not dare to even suggest a decision but perhaps the following might be helpful to you.

As you are an experienced traveler and peregrina, you already know how to handle the routine contingency planning that makes for a successful trip. That alone puts you in good stead to handle what comes up. That said, this particular set of circumstances increases the scope and difficulty of contingency planning because impacts are felt on the bigger inter-related systems of daily life. I have not been stuck in a country during a time of endemic or epidemic outbreaks but have been through the analog of a currency collapse and also devastating storms. So I think you might have to pre-imagine a few base alternate cases to achieve comfort in whatever you decide:

a) "What do I do if albergues/lodgings are shut because of rapid increase in case counts where I am traveling?"

b) Same question about bars and restaurants being shut....

c) Now, here's the kicker - "What do I do for food/water if the most basic of markets either runs out of supply or shuts down by edict of the authorities?"

Take as you will, and "Buen Camino" even if you stay home!

B

D

Deleted member 43780

Annie -

I would not dare to even suggest a decision but perhaps the following might be helpful to you.

As you are an experienced traveler and peregrina, you already know how to handle the routine contingency planning that makes for a successful trip. That alone puts you in good stead to handle what comes up. That said, this particular set of circumstances increases the scope and difficulty of contingency planning because impacts are felt on the bigger inter-related systems of daily life. I have not been stuck in a country during a time of endemic or epidemic outbreaks but have been through the analog of a currency collapse and also devastating storms. So I think you might have to pre-imagine a few base alternate cases to achieve comfort in whatever you decide:

a) "What do I do if albergues/lodgings are shut because of rapid increase in case counts where I am traveling?"

b) Same question about bars and restaurants being shut....

c) Now, here's the kicker - "What do I do for food/water if the most basic of markets either runs out of supply or shuts down by edict of the authorities?"

One need look no further than the latest news out of Italy and Korea to see that the last two hypotheticals can emerge with blinding speed.

Take as you will, and "Buen Camino" even if you stay home!

B
I would add d) how would medical/dental/pharmacy services be impacted?

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Not too much speculation please, or the posts will be deleted or edited. None of us need help in thinking of "worst case" scenarios.

@OzAnnie, what are the practical aspects? Do you have travel insurance that will cover you if you cancel? My understanding is that if your travel insurance was taken out before the WHO declared it as a health emergency, then you are probably covered. If not, then you are probably not covered. I would want to figure that out first, before making a decision.

Tom Quinn

Happy walker
Camino(s) past & future
(2019)
(2020)
While I am concerned about this virus, my true fear is not being able to get back home. I am in a hold status, still training, going to sleep early and getting up early in order to lessen time change from Florida to Leon. Determined but patient.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19
Not too much speculation please, or the posts will be deleted or edited. None of us need help in thinking of "worst case" scenarios.

@OzAnnie, what are the practical aspects? Do you have travel insurance that will cover you if you cancel? My understanding is that if your travel insurance was taken out before the WHO declared it as a health emergency, then you are probably covered. If not, then you are probably not covered. I would want to figure that out first, before making a decision.
Hi Jill
Yes., insurance was taken out dec27 BUT I was ‘told’ that no insurer is covering cancelling travel because of it. ? I’m ringing insurer (Covermore) this afternoon to hear it from them .

Camino(s) past & future
somewhere between "not enough" and "way too many"
What are the practical aspects? Do you have travel insurance that will cover you if you cancel? My understanding is that if your travel insurance was taken out before the WHO declared it as a health emergency, then you are probably covered. If not, then you are probably not covered. I would want to figure that out first, before making a decision.
Absolutely true, @Kanga! My first response dealt with easily foreseeable situations based upon life experience which is just that, my experience. Statistical reliability of zero because it is a sample of one.

Speculation at this point gets one nowhere good which is why I prefer the self-assessment in light of current events. What's next? Who knows? The evolution of "just-in-time" inventory systems has built a world commerce paradigm with little slack in it....

“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” (Noted USA philosopher, Yogi Berra)

Personally, I have to make a decision for myself, my son, and my recently deceased "Camigo's" son in about a month's time.
I do not have enough data at this point to plot a path forward. I am under pressure to go but I can wait and have no problem making the "no-go" decision.

Despite training and experience, I have to say at this point that I know little that is useful aside from standard good hygiene practices. Beyond that? Do a personal inventory of what you are prepared to deal with and go from there.

One thing that I can say? If I had an underlying medical condition, I would not be venturing about at this time.

Mods should feel free, without any complaint from me, to delete this comment if it has stepped over the line.

B

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
I am supposed to fly out from Canada on April 2nd. At this time playing it by ear and only reading from reliable sources like WHO. Just playing a wait and see for now. Hoping for the best and ready to pull the plug if I must. I would be heartbroken but this situation is tortally out of my control.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
Hi Jill
Yes., insurance was taken out dec27 BUT I was ‘told’ that no insurer is covering cancelling travel because of it. ? I’m ringing insurer (Covermore) this afternoon to hear it from them .
I just waited on hold for 40 minutes to Covermore to be told they do not cover for any epidemic/pandemic illness or flight cancellations even though I booked my flights last November.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks Heather
I had spoken to my local travel agent earlier today /who use Covermore also. That was the info they gave me too but I had intended to follow up with the insurer.
I don’t think I’ll go on hold for 40 minutes now that you’ve found out. Thankyou.

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Hi Jill
Covermore has an interesting page with useful information: https://www.covermore.com.au/blog/medical-tips/coronavirus-need-to-know
My wife and I have assessed the risks and we're still going ahead with our walks. My wife, who is a retired nurse, reassured me by telling me that walking strengthens the immune system.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
A very detailed FAQ has been written by the French Government (in French) :

It's very informative if you do have the French for it.

Only one person has died from the disease in France, and he was an 80 year old Chinese tourist.

As for how it may affect the Camino in France, there are currently no restrictions nor special measures in place except for those travelling from a country or area with a live ongoing infection.

Cough into a tissue or your sleeve. Avoid eating raw foods and undercooked meats. Surgical masks are likely to be unhelpful, except for those who are or who might be in more direct or potential contact with diseased persons, or those who think they may themselves have become infected.

(the only measure that I could see myself taking in the present state of affairs in France would be to avoid the Paris Metro by precaution, but then I'd typically avoid it anyway, so take that with a pinch of salt ... )

Last edited:

longwayhome

Camino(s) past & future
SJpdP to Santiago ( Sept-Oct 2018)
The main factual points as I see them are :

1. The situation is updating by the hour world wide .

2. The virus is now proven to be present in Europe with the presence of lockdowns, quarantines and attempted contact tracing disrupting normal travel. The effects on small villages are currently newsworthy in Italy. The effects in Wuhan, China, are catastrophic. Other areas are emergent , eg iran and South Korea.

3. There are already travel warnings and restrictions for returning travellers in place around the world, eg Britons returning from Italy, Australians from mainland China .Travel advice updates regularly.

4. The virus spreads by close person to person contact and droplet spread and has a long incubation. Large numbers of people sleeping closely in one room create a likely scenario of viral transmission.

5. The virus has a high risk of manifesting severe illness and a high mortality rate (age and co-morbidities considered), as compared to other respiratory viruses, as best current available research can predict.

There is enough here in these facts to make me reconsider totally my VF in 3 months time. I am fortunate to have that time for the story to unfold and empathise with those who do not. For other prospective pilgrims these facts will have an entirely different meaning. I expect that the imminence of departure date will inform the decisions of many of us.

William Marques

Staff member
I find posts of personal concerns about whether the poster him/herself should or should not travel OK for this thread. I would delete posts by people giving their own advice to others.

Factual reporting of statements and updates from governments / WHO would also be permitted. Also permitted would be links to airline, insurance and other businesses integral to decision making, though this is more of a grey area.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I have deleted a large number of posts whose only purpose seems to be to comment on the purpose of the thread. Irrelevant, unnecessary and not useful at all.
Please confine posts to the issues stated by William:
I find posts of personal concerns about whether the poster him/herself should or should not travel OK for this thread. I would delete posts by people giving their own advice to others.

Factual reporting of statements and updates from governments / WHO would also be permitted. Also permitted would be links to airline, insurance and other businesses integral to decision making, though this is more of a grey area.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
The US Embassy in Madrid is providing regular updates and advice for its citizens in Spain. Other nations are making similar efforts. Helpful and balanced advice.

Dancing Rain

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Salvado (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
Feeling so sad. We have flights booked for walking from Leon to Sarria in late Apr & May. However, with my beloved being 73, having diabetes, heart problems & very prone to bronchitis & pneumonia, I think we just can’t take the risk this year. We were so looking forward to returning, and being part of this heart-filled experience again. Our walking times on Caminos are filled with so many special memories.

Here’s hoping an effective vaccine is found soon, and we can do it next year. Losing what we’ve paid for the airfares hurts, but the real grief is not continuing with something we have been so looking forward to being a part of and sharing with each other again. For so many reasons life seems so precious and short at the moment, tears fill my eyes.

Hugs and love everyone as we all journey the challenges of this new Camino

Penny Kingma

M.S. Can't Stop Me !
Camino(s) past & future
May 29th to July 4th 2016
SJPDP to Santiago
And many, many more I pray

Annie
With the rapid rise in cases in Italy....I’d likely put that part of the trip on hold for another time...and go directly to Camino. ❤👣Buen camino

GraemeHall

Camino(s) past & future
Frances: St-Jean-PdP - Santiago dC - Muxía - Fisterra (Aug 2017 and March/April 2018)
A very detailed FAQ has been written by the French Government (in French) :

It's very informative if you do have the French for it.

Only one person has died from the disease in France, and he was an 80 year old Chinese tourist.

As for how it may affect the Camino in France, there are currently no restrictions nor special measures in place except for those travelling from a country or area with a live ongoing infection.

Cough into a tissue or your sleeve. Avoid eating raw foods and undercooked meats. Surgical masks are likely to be unhelpful, except for those who are or who might be in more direct or potential contact with diseased persons, or those who think they may themselves have become infected.

(the only measure that I could see myself taking in the present state of affairs in France would be to avoid the Paris Metro by precaution, but then I'd typically avoid it anyway, so take that with a pinch of salt ... )
I just read in Le Monde of a second death in Paris.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2020)
I’m booked to arrive in Madrid April 1. And then start the Camino April 8. From SJPP. Of course this is all quite worrying, but as of now I’m not making any changes. I think as of now, as I write this, that there is no serious risk traveling to northern Spain to do the Camino.

Although, I have to say, if I was planning my trip today without having made any arrangements, I would just delay it.

I think what will eventually happen is that it won’t really matter where you’re at. This seems to be spreading worldwide so fast that it will be everywhere soon. The Camino specific issue is staying in the albergues, which of course put you in very close contact with a large group of people from all over the world. I worry this heightens my risk, but I also worry that there might be some sensible closures put in place by the Spanish government if the problem grows. I think this would be unlikely, it would have to be quite bad, for them to enforce something that would be such a big economic hit.

Is there any precedence in Spain for these kinds of outbreaks. Maybe with the flu? How does the Spanish health service typically handle things like this?

I called up the travel insurance company here in the states, which is through world nomads. The obviously exasperated customer service person quickly told me “we don’t cover corona-virus!“ And I said “really, if I get sick, I’m not covered”? Then she backtracked, and told me of course you have medical coverage, we just don’t cover trip cancellation.

This week was the week I had planned to purchase the travel insurance, but I want to call my regular health insurance company up first to see if they offer something. I’m not that worried about trip cancellation insurance, but I want to make sure that any medical issues would be completely covered. If the insurance company was to tell me that they will not sell me insurance that covers medical issues related to the coronavirus, then, I would definitely cancel my trip. Luckily for me, I have my plane ticket on frequent flyer miles, so I wouldn’t lose very much money if I chose to cancel. Probably just some reservations and train tickets in Madrid. Maybe a couple hundred dollars at this point.

Last edited:

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
A case has been confirmed in Sevilla - bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Spain to 10. So far indications are that the disease is not being transmitted within local communities. The government have raised its risk assessment from "low" to "moderate".

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Feeling so sad. We have flights booked for walking from Leon to Sarria in late Apr & May. However, with my beloved being 73, having diabetes, heart problems & very prone to bronchitis & pneumonia, I think we just can’t take the risk this year.
Given those conditions, that is clearly a very wise decision -- I'd say that it's better in these circumstances to be sad than sorry.

God bless you -- and please pray over that time for the Pilgrims of the Way of Saint James.

meye1099

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013, 2016, Aug. 2020), Del Norte (2018), Primitivo (2018), Nakahechi (Apr. 2020)
My husband and I have been planning a trip to Japan leaving early April to hike the Kumano Kodo for the past year, and we are taking it day to day trying to decide whether or not to cancel the trip--we have three weeks to make the call before we face significant cancellation fees. The CDC switched the alert to level 2 for Japan, which has begun to tip the scales for us towards canceling. The entire situation has been stressful and frustrating--I am ready to just cancel the trip, shut off all news outlets, and enjoy a staycation instead.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014

William Marques

Staff member
There have been a number of posts removed referring to the percentage mortality rate of the coronavirus, as no accurate figures are available yet. One of the removed posts pointed out that due to the fact that as the symptoms could be so mild many may have been infected but not reported.

Unless statistical figures are provided by governments they will be removed. This is a pilgrimage site devoted to the Caminos, not a forum for general discussion about health.

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
For Belgian pilgrims : the official website of the Instiute of Tropical Medicine.

Government website.

To the moderators : hope this info is ok ?

Last edited:

Pscarmen

My Way is better than any highway!
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago (2019)
Covermore has an interesting page with useful information: https://www.covermore.com.au/blog/medical-tips/coronavirus-need-to-know
My wife and I have assessed the risks and we're still going ahead with our walks. My wife, who is a retired nurse, reassured me by telling me that walking strengthens the immune system.
Thanks for this. I also am a retired Nurse & I feel like people using basic hand washing & courteous elbow “high fives” instead of hand shakes will be safe. Walking is a healthy alternative to fear & the strength & camaraderie found on the Camino will persevere IMO. Buen Camino

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
(2017) (2018) (2020) all on the Camino Frances.
Hi Jill
Please read all the terms of insurance. Go the the insurance website and read the details. I had insurance two years ago on an airline tix I purchased for my daughter to join me on the Camino and she got pregnant and unfortunately had a complicated pregnancy and we had a doctor’s note - the claim for her flight cancellation was denied. It took me four months after appealing to get my money back. It was ridiculous and she delivered one month early. Thank God my grandson and daughter are both doing great now. I’m okay with losing out on my airfare compared to losing out on my health.

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
(2017) (2018) (2020) all on the Camino Frances.
Feeling so sad. We have flights booked for walking from Leon to Sarria in late Apr & May. However, with my beloved being 73, having diabetes, heart problems & very prone to bronchitis & pneumonia, I think we just can’t take the risk this year. We were so looking forward to returning, and being part of this heart-filled experience again. Our walking times on Caminos are filled with so many special memories.

Here’s hoping an effective vaccine is found soon, and we can do it next year. Losing what we’ve paid for the airfares hurts, but the real grief is not continuing with something we have been so looking forward to being a part of and sharing with each other again. For so many reasons life seems so precious and short at the moment, tears fill my eyes.

Hugs and love everyone as we all journey the challenges of this new Camino
Hi - check with the airlines you booked with and sometimes they are willing to let you change for another destination for a small fee or give you credit. It’s worth a try. I really think the airlines are going to get impacted financially and they may succumb to pressure form travelers to give credits or refunds due to the virus. Also, I am leaving at the end of May, but will be keeping an eye on the news and will have a contingency plan in place in case we get quarantined. I’m so sad and I wish you and your beloved well. Praying for their recover.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
The Spanish government has launched a dedicated Telegram and Twitter feed for official coronavirus information. This article also has links to the European Centre for Disease Control daily updates and information from Aena - the Spanish airports authority.

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
I flew to Italy today (Feb 26) - arriving at Rome Ciampino from Lisbon. All passengers had their temperature taken upon arrival, with one calling it ‘unjustified panic’ to the authorities. I will fly back to Lisbon (from Rome Fiumicino) next Wednesday so I can advise then on whether there are restrictions leaving Italy.

Last edited:

NiniSum

Camino(s) past & future
C Frances (2012: Leon to SdC) C Finisterre (2012) C Frances (2015: SJPP to Leon) C Inglés (2019)
This interactive web-based dashboard which is tracking Coronavirus worldwide has been very informative for its up-to-date status of number of cases by country. It was developed by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE), Johns Hopkins University and went live late January. I am also adding a link to a recent article in The Lancet, which explains how they access the data and how frequently it is updated.

If this post is allowed, the information regarding either the containment of the virus or the speed at which the number of cases increase in Europe may be helpful for decision-making. I am personally in a 'wait-and-see' mode for fall travel.

Link to dashboard: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Link to Lancet article: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30120-1/fulltext

Last edited:

YMMV

Your Mileage May Vary
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Planning for April 2020)
It is vital that people be informed and not succumb to the false rumours that are floating around on social media and other corners of the internet. If you are informed, you will be better prepared and not as prone to falsehoods which lead to mixed messages and fear.

The World Health Organization (WHO) is the UN agency leading the world wide coordination. The WHO are publishing news, advice, and even YouTube videos to counter the false rumours and dangerous guidance that is circulating. They are a good source.

I'm Canadian so I also follow the excellent guidance being provided by Health Canada. Other countries have similar public health resources.

If you are interested in tracking the outbreak, Johns Hopkins University has built a live graphical site that is continuously updated mapping out the number of cases in each country and each area. I'm quite visual, so this is a useful resource for me. The background information for that site, if you are interested, is here.

We can greatly reduce our chances of contracting the seasonal flu and COVID-19 by practicing proper hygiene, social distancing,... Following your public health officials' guidelines will greatly reduce your chances of becoming ill from the coronavirus COVID-19, the seasonal flu, or any other virus.

If you become ill, or come into contact with someone how is, it is vital not to infect others and important to seek proper medical advice.

Personally, my plan is still to start from SJPdP on April 10, however, as others have said, the situation is fluid and this may need to be adjusted. And that's all part of the journey, isn't it?

Last edited:

Naps

Camino(s) past & future
Planned 2021
I decided on the Portuguese route and made the travel arrangements for early March just before Covid-19 became widely known. The airline will not allow me defer travel to the end of the year on a non-cancelable ticket at this time and I am reluctant to sacrifice the travel costs. Before abandoning the trip I am watching developments from day to day at the destination city and my home city. Hopefully I can get to the starting city in Portugal and spend time in the area until such time as the virus hits either Portugal or home, if so, I can head to the airport and fly back before lockdown. At least I can use up my travel tickets if all goes well, but the chances are getting slimmer as at 26 Feb. I would have thought the airline would have adopted a more flexible policy by this time like giving one a 50% discount next time against your unused flight.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2020)
Personally, my plan is still to start from SJPdP on April 10, however, as others have said, the situation is fluid and this may need to be adjusted. And that's all part of the journey, isn't it?
I agree. I leave SJPP April 9, actually. There does seem to be a lot of panic out there. I think the way this is spreading, it’s going to be everywhere. Who’s to say the Camino isn’t safer than where you live?

RuthMB

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC (April 2020)
Thanks for this thread, and for sensible moderation. My cousin and I are flying out on 27th March to begin Camino from SJPdP on 1st April. I have been only midly concerned, however my cousin is extremely concerned and considering cancelling. My insurance doesn't cover anything corona-related. :( I'm not looking for advice, just grateful for the balanced information.

Camino(s) past & future
Walked CF September/October 2015; Scheduled to walk April/May 2020
I’m scheduled to head to Camino April 28th. My thoughts at this moment are that because this is such a rapidly changing situation, all I can do right now is sit back and monitor the status of things. New information is coming daily, so I really have no idea what it’s going to look like in two months’ time. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to be on Camino as scheduled. Holding hope for all of us scheduled to peregrinate this year.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Well, well... First corona patient confirmed in Norway this evening, coming back from a visit to China. IN MY HOME TOWN. Goes to show that i will be using my mid-April one-way ticket to Madrid to get out of here, and stay on the CF for a healthy good +1 month. Safer there than here, maybe..

Seriously, I live in Arctic Norway, remote, which goes to show that the world today is a small place and everything can travel around the world in no time, so one place is no more safe than any other. That being said, I think one needs to not being hysterical until we know more.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
So, as of now, I am a forum member living in a city of ca. 90.000, that has a confirmed case of the virus. The person is mildly affected and placed in isolation in his own apartment. But of course, he was at the airport, he has been outside for 3 days, and it will be interesting to see how it evolves. I will report on how it is to be in "Ground Zero". But so far, I continue to think that this has been overplayed by the media.

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
As this article reports, the first instance of coronavirus on mainland Spain has been confirmed. With that sobering news, the virus has come front and center for many pilgrims. We are going to try again to open the forum to discussion of factual information and confirmed official actions. Fearmongering and what we consider to be fake news (and that extends to unsubstantiated rumors) will be deleted. We understand that there is likely to be considerable anxiety and uncertainty while the trajectory of this virus plays out, so please keep your reports to those items that can be substantiated in reputable mainstream news. With people coming to the forum from all continents, the news reporting each one of us sees is likely to focus on different things, and this thread should be a place for us to get a fuller picture of the ongoing and emerging crisis.

Buen camino, hopeful for forum cooperation in this endeavor, Laurie

Rule 7 still applies - disagreements with a moderator's rulings are not to be the subject of public debate. Negative points will be awarded for any member in breach.
from Johnniewalkersantiago a link for the official Spanish Government info site https://periodistas-es.com/covid-19...RM0J4Bjc6BgbvVNB6mV-ua4MCA2Jdpyt5nGLQudjstzvA

Tony Bobcat

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017

Walton

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
I've noticed there are various comparisons here between the common flu virus and Corona virus.

May I respectfully point out a couple of differences;

1. There is generally a flu vaccination available for annually predicted flu virus types. I bravely have a flu needle every year.
There is no coronavirus vaccination yet. But you can bet there is an enormous amount of work being done to bring a vaccination into being. Fingers crossed - soon!

2. If you got the flu and ended up in hospital, you'd probably be covered for medical expenses if you have travel insurance. You would have to read a policy carefully to make sure influenza is not an exclusion though and also consider if your pre-existing conditions could cause your insurance company to decline a claim.

If you get the Coronavirus and end up in hospital, most insurance companies seem to be excluding medical costs caused by coronavirus. Again, you'd have to read your policy really carefully to be sure.

As a retired travel and tourism lecturer, I cannot stress enough - Read your travel insurance policy proposal very, very carefully and discuss your pre-existing medical issues to the insurer so as to determine if you are covered, before you book anything and before you pay for your travel insurance. Always, get their replies - in writing! Email communications are great for this.

Never assume anything when it comes to insurance or when booking flights., hotels etc. Read and carefully consider those conditions of travel, they are really important if something unexpectedly happens.

For those pilgrims in Australia and New Zealand, Coronavirus is a problem for travellers, especially those who buy travel insurance.

If we fly to Spain and end up in hospital somewhere in Spain because of coronavirus, we would probably have to fund the medical costs ourselves. And if we fell ill along the way, we might be offloaded and face medical costs somewhere unexpectedly. These costs could be very significant.

To those Aussies on this forum, with insurance issues that they are unhappy about policies that were bought before the coronavirus occurred and who are unsatisfied with their insurers response, remember there is an insurance ombudsman. Google Australian Financial Complaints Authority. They cover ticket and travel insurance. You may find that if you bought your travel insurance before a particular date, you are covered for medical expenses.

My observations above are very general - Insurance and travel matters are complex and I would urge you to be very cautious as you make those plans, investigate insurance and make reservations.

We were hoping to walk the VDLP early april but like many of us, we are now in 'holding' mode.

Cheers

Graham

Last edited:

Tai Chi

a.k.a. "Phil"
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2018); Madrid & Ingles (2019); Portugese Coastal & Invierno (2020)
Now might be a good time for all pilgrims to start getting use to using a "courteous elbow high five” (as previously suggested) or a "fist bump" in place of handshakes. Remember how these became the norm for a while during the SARS outbreak?

I'm of a mind that at this point, sensible precautions and situational vigilance are definitely warranted, but I don't yet see the need to cancel my plans.

I'm booked to arrive in Porto Mar 21st and will walk the coastal Portuguese and then one other route (tbd). I'll be monitoring the situation and will be prepared to change routes or fly home early if circumstances warrant. (Have not yet booked my return ticket, so I'm flexible.) I will take a face mask but only plan to use it if I end up inadvertently in a "hot spot".

Buen Camino, everyone!

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
I've been talking with hospitaleros and others responsible for pilgrim shelter on the caminos.
We are only six people, but we all agree: We are in the care-taking business, on a trail dedicated to people on the move. Long as we are healthy ourselves, we will go forward with our plans for this season until authorities tell us to stop. We will do our best to accommodate the changing plans of pilgrims and volunteers, and will provide shelter and food to those who need it, for as long as we are needed and are able. The camino's seen these things before!
Each community and albergue will decide for itself how to handle this potential threat. For now, we'll keep an eye on the official reports and keep on keeping on.
It's not time to panic yet.
Ultreya y Suseia, peregrinos!

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
I am expecting the same results if I have to cancel my flight. Flight cancellation insurance was taken last July when I bought my ticket. ☹
This virus outbreak has crossed my mind in not going especially the amount of time spent on an airplane and the closeness with others. Hopefully, airport security has a way of checking for potential individuals who are infected?

mvanert

Camino(s) past & future
Bits and pieces - 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020?
I and two friends are going at the end of August starting from St Jean, we will use common sense and take normal precautions for all our health concerns. I refuse to overthink or overreact about this. Unless travel is banned from Canada to France and Spain, we will be there.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2020)
If you get the Coronavirus and end up in hospital, most insurance companies seem to be excluding medical costs caused by coronavirus. Again, you'd have to read your policy really carefully to be sure.
What do you base that statement on? I spoke with someone at a large insurance travel company in the US and they said trip cancellation wasn’t covered, but of course everything medical would be covered. I admit I’m still waiting for email confirmation of that, because I want it in writing.

Camino(s) past & future
I've been talking with hospitaleros and others responsible for pilgrim shelter on the caminos.
We are only six people, but we all agree: We are in the care-taking business, on a trail dedicated to people on the move. Long as we are healthy ourselves, we will go forward with our plans for this season until authorities tell us to stop. We will do our best to accommodate the changing plans of pilgrims and volunteers, and will provide shelter and food to those who need it, for as long as we are needed and are able. The camino's seen these things before!
Each community and albergue will decide for itself how to handle this potential threat. For now, we'll keep an eye on the official reports and keep on keeping on.
You are a gem.

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Levante-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
England Camino routes ?2024
Edited by Moderator. Unable to verify cited source
Another thing to consider, if you do contract Covid-19 and are sick, the cost of your bed is usually at AUD1-2K per night at least. Expect 2 weeks. If your insurer doesn't cover you, you will be feeling very poor.
Also remember that nothing is concrete. That 27 day outlier is possibly a re-infection but no-one knows. But in your worst case scenario planning, allow for the impact of a month of quarantine.

Last edited by a moderator:

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I flew to Italy today (Feb 26) - arriving at Rome Ciampino from Lisbon. All passengers had their temperature taken upon arrival, with one calling it ‘unjustified panic’ to the authorities. I will fly back to Lisbon (from Rome Fiumicino) next Wednesday so I can advise then on whether there are restrictions leaving Italy.
Thank you! So much for on the ground info .
Much appreciated
Annie

Dani7

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
Thank you so much for this post Rebekah. I’m not so concerned about getting ill so
Much as the infrastructure supporting the pilgrims on the Camino decide or are told to shut down operations by the ministry of health. Without hospitaleros like yourself we are in a perplexing conundrum.

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
Camino(s) past & future
O'Cebreiro to Santiago (2014)
Pamplona to Sahagun (March 2019)
I flew out of Madrid this morning. A few of the airport staff were wearing masks. I was also asked at check in if I had been to China in the last 14 days. Otherwise everything was normal. Other than talk of the virus the Camino was as always.

Undermanager

Camino(s) past & future
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
I've just got over yet another cold, although this one only lasted a week!! The last five or possibly six times I've flown back to the UK, I've picked up a bug. I think I'm more concerned about flying and breathing recirculated air than handshakes!!

YMMV

Your Mileage May Vary
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Planning for April 2020)
Hopefully, airport security has a way of checking for potential individuals who are infected?
It is important to note that with Coronavirus COVID-19 one can be infected, infect others (contagious), yet still show no signs of the illness for 14 days. This is the reason people returning from heavily infected areas must self-quarantine for that length of time.

This is also one of the reasons this virus is spreading rapidly. People don't know they are infected and contagious, act as usual, and in turn unwillingly infect others. Those persons in turn infect others. And so on. The prudent thing to do, for the next little while, is to follow the public health advice for your country/jurisdiction. Go directly to the public health agency's web site for your jurisdiction and take the time to look up the information from the source.

With this information we can not only take care of ourselves, we can also take care one another, and we can all do our part to limit the spread of this virus.

It is important not to spread rumours. This leads to mixed messages. Mixed messages lead to not trusting officials. This can lead to fear and panic. Public health information is available for everyone.

While I am not a health professional, I was responsible for a large disaster management/business continuity unit that shared responsible for a large population. I'm retired now and have no direct knowledge with what is happening at the minute, but from my previous experience I am confident in telling you that there are many professionals across many agencies, locally, regionally, internationally, who are working tirelessly right now behind the scenes. Men and women from these agencies have met regularly in the past, and have coordinated and practiced response plans for emergencies such as this. These meetings and coordination efforts would have only accelerated in the past few months.

I keep repeating this because it's important » Listen to the professionals. Take their advice.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Here's a map that will keep being updated, showing areas of infection worldwide with a good degree of detail :

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola Laurie and Fellow Moderators.
Thank you for reopening comment on this potentially life threathening issue. I am aware of the best precautions to take both on the Camino and in and around the albergues and restaurants . Regular and effective washing of hands is a must. Will you allow updates or comments of reports in (say) Portugal and specific towns/cities?? Thanks
Cheers for now.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Thank you @Rebekah Scott.
It will be an interesting first season for me!

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
First case in Denmark confirmed this morning in a person who returned from Northern Italy - the whole family is now in isolation. All of the Scandinavian countries are now affected.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Bad news -- two people have contracted the disease in France, including one who died, who had not travelled to one of the infection countries or areas.

Ducks

Walking for 3
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugese (2020)
Camino Frances (2021)
I start my CP coastal on 11th March. Am already booked to stay in pensions and private accommodation. Will bring extra medication if my return home is delayed, which is more of a concern as I'm running a retreat 2 weeks later. But hopefully out in the fresh air of the beautiful coast I will be nowhere near any troubles.... I will keep an eye on this thread however, as it would be extremely useful to know whether any cases pop up in the big cities especially Santiago. If necessary I will skip it. All that to say, not worried at all, but want to stay informed. Thanks for the forum!

Bear

Camino(s) past & future
Past: Camino Frances 2012.
Future: Camino Frances 2020
Unless the Governments of the UK, France or Spain ban foreign travel, which would impact my ability to get to SjPP or home again from Spain, I will be starting the Camino Frances on 2nd June.

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Last edited:

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
This is an interesting post and thread. The coronavirus will spread because we are now an international species, tens of millions flying to and from all parts of the world, daily.

We might not like to hear it but just about the best method of spreading the virus globally is to encourage a few hundred thousand people from all nationalities to go on Camino and introduce just one infected person who is showing no symptoms whatsoever into the mix. So, I am guessing here but if it does become a pandemic will Spain allow the Camino to continue? Saudi Arabia has just closed their pilgrimage sites to foreign pilgrims, who will not be let into the country.

It is difficult for pilgrims from far away, I can see that, fixed flights, paid for, and adding to the comments above it would seem that going through the small print of the health insurance policy is a must.

I am planning to return to Camino, doing first aid, in June ... what will I do? Well, stay calm and if the WHO and Spanish health authorities are not concerned about the Camino then nor shall I be.

I will read up on all genuine medical advice re symptoms, especially the earliest to appear ... carry a lot of extra sanitising hand gel and keep my hands super clean. Give up handshakes and hugs. Carry my own clean mug for cafes. Try hard not to touch anything touched by another - bathroom door handles come to mind - these things are good for us all .. but ... I cannot stay a distance away from anyone that I am helping .. and crammed into crowded refugio sleeping rooms - how will we, any of us, react if one person has a cough?

What we are, here, in this post, is a part of a dialogue that is going on globally .. those booked into the Olympics in Japan will be asking the same questions .. and in the end each of us will make our own decision.

Unless the situation drastically deteriorates I will be going - Coronavirus or not there will still be pilgrims out there who will need first aid ;).

Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Considering: Primitivo May 2020
While I personally do not see the virus as a severe threat to most peoples' personal health, the virus will hit the Camino potentially quite hard:
1. I am next to sure that stricter (air-)travel restrictions will come in place sooner or later this year. Making getting to and from the Caminos more complicated.
2. Mass accommodation is a perfect breeding ground. Looking back on last year and how people shared coughs and colds (even I got some nasty bug) I would guess Corona will become quite visible in the trace of pilgrims by mid of April.
3. Given the known numbers and what we know about the behaviour of the illness, one can be next to certain that Corona has spread by far more than we know of today – including in Spain. It might be present in considerable but undetected numbers in at least one of the Camino-regions already now.
4. If an outbreak in Spain can be traced to a hostel/pilgrims, then public opinion might swing and pilgrims (travellers in general) might feel less welcome. I fear this will first hit pilgrims with looks that are considered to be "asian".

I had to cancel my camino this year for family reasons but I will be hiking in a different area of Europe in May. I am still optimistic, but I can see that travel is much harder to plan this year! :-(

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Asking for your Prayers! We, right now are heading to Porto on March 2 to walk the CP. Both of us are in out 70s. No major health issues right now. Still undecided.

The websites posted regarding the ongoing status of the virus are very helpful! If we go having this link will be very valuable in Portugal! Please do not shut down this thread. 😀

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)
Australian government prepares to declare a pandemic.

US CDC says "not if but when"

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jungleboy
Although I will still be very interested in how your experience in Italy is in next few days - I wanted to let you know that I’ve caved in and cancelled that section of my walk. My VF walking buddy is from UK but being of Asian extraction was far from comfortable about the whole deal in current circumstances.

I’ve purchased another flight leg from Doha-Madrid (and cancelled the Doha-Rome. Rome-Madrid legs).
The cost extra of AU$510 - but I’ll be in spain and although I realise it has possibilities- I feel comfortable doing this and travelling withinSpain for 5 odd weeks.
Just have to put my thinking cap on now and decide what I’ll do or where I’ll walk in the extra 16 days in spain.
Annie

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Jungleboy
Although I will still be very interested in how your experience in Italy is in next few days - I wanted to let you know that I’ve caved in and cancelled that section of my walk.
- - -
Just have to put my thinking cap on now and decide what I’ll do or where I’ll walk in the extra 16 days in spain.
Annie
Sorry to hear that. Per yesterday’s CDC report, there are no confirmed cases in Portugal yet, so that could be an option for you too.

Penny Kingma

M.S. Can't Stop Me !
Camino(s) past & future
May 29th to July 4th 2016
SJPDP to Santiago
And many, many more I pray
Hello Everyone, I’m still hoping for my Camino return this May. With my 2 new knees and two new hips, 4 surgeries in less than 13 months. The last my left hip celebrating its first year on March 7th. Those initially were my greatest worry. Now it’s my highly compromised immune system.. from the Lyme and Babasia I’m also fighting. Hearing the Coronavirus virus not taken seriously by all is concerning. It is not the flu. Individuals traveling between areas like Italy which is now experiencing a marked rise in Coronavirus and then going directly to the Camino is concerning. You can’t have this cavalier attitude that people are just over reacting. Care and thought has to be taken to care for all in this beautiful World we all cherish...not just the personal bubbles we live in. Buen Camino my Friends 👣❤👣

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I am trying my best to stay positive about my planned camino, flying into Oviedo via landing in Madrid on April 20th. I will truly be hugely disappointed if I cannot go and must cancel, putting all my hopes and dreams on some "future time"...we all know not when that could be.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Two more confirmed cases in Madrid which appear to have been contracted locally. Bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Spain to 14.

Dani7

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
I am trying my best to stay positive about my planned camino, flying into Oviedo via landing in Madrid on April 20th. I will truly be hugely disappointed if I cannot go and must cancel, putting all my hopes and dreams on some "future time"...we all know not when that could be.
Trying to do same (am scheduled to leave April 2nd). Watching carefully what the Spanish Health Authorities are doing regarding screening for international travellers.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Perhaps we can all apply some pilgrim prayers for those hundreds and thousands who have been ill from this coronavirus, for those who have died in isolation without loved ones by their side, for the relatives of those who died, for the thousands who are in locked-down cities and towns uncertain what will become of them, for those who have been unable to get to work due to the lock-down and will be suffering financially. And for the health care professionals who are risking their own lives to look after those who need them.

I was once told by a wise camino angel that pilgrim prayers are especially strong.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Two more confirmed cases in Madrid which appear to have been contracted locally. Bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Spain to 14.
Thank you, as we get ready to fly, updated info is very helpful!

Oxford Alice

Camino(s) past & future
(Bits of) Camino Frances (2001)
Camino Frances (2014)
Camino Frances (2018)
My plan was to begin the CF on 2 April (flights booked, not yet cancelled). I was looking forward to celebrating Easter in Santo Domingo. Now, I think I will be giving up the Camino for Lent!

Bikepacking Camino Norte is sounding a better option as time goes on-:)

personally wondering if accommodation choice is hit then my tenting might be more acceptable after all! My major concerns are crowds at airports, train stations etc.. but if current health and wealth problems get sorted I will go anyway and be as careful as I can. This forum and thread has become invaluable and many thanks to both moderators and posters for helping with informed choice.

The malingerer.

Tom Quinn

Happy walker
Camino(s) past & future
(2019)
(2020)
The WHO video of the two doctors was very helpful to me. I learned a lot from these two women, they confirmed the information I received last week in a PM from #davebugg.
Do not panic, sneeze or cough into your elbow, wash your hands. All common sense.
Thank you Marine,
Tom Quinn

Last edited by a moderator:

teejtc

Camino(s) past & future
Summer 2020
At the risk of sounding crazy, hypochondriac, and alarmist (sorry if it comes off that way), is there any discussion of the virus causing problems for this summer?

I'm planning on my first Camino at the end of June, and whole I'm not easily deterred by such things, I thought I'd ask....

Grace and peace,
Tim

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
At the risk of sounding crazy, hypochondriac, and alarmist (sorry if it comes off that way), is there any discussion of the virus causing problems for this summer?
There is a great deal of discussion. Very little of it helpful as the situation both in Spain and globally is changing daily or even hourly. Speculation and prediction at the moment about summer has little value. If definite information becomes available it will be posted on the forum.

CMD

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago next week
I just waited on hold for 40 minutes to Covermore to be told they do not cover for any epidemic/pandemic illness or flight cancellations even though I booked my flights last November.
This is so typical of insurance companies who are prepared to take your money hoping nothing will happen but when it does, you are likely to be on your own!

Karen the Hat

Camino(s) past & future
March 2017
I was planning to start from SJPP on 31 March but read my travel insurance carefully last night and discovered that pandemics are specifically excluded from any cover. Which is fair enough I guess as at this point I can just decide not to go. Bummer my flights from NZ won't be reimbursed though!

If I go anyway and don't get sick it still won't be the normal CF experience - places will be unexpectedly closed and there will be a lot fewer walkers.

If I go and do get slightly sick where will I self-quarantine? If I get really sick that could get very expensive with travel insurance not covering it.

Maybe I could visit some friends instead with my flights but how bad would I feel if I unwittingly infected them! At least I still have a few weeks to decide. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 354 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock