• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opening an albergue

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2022 Frances September 2023 Portuguese
After having the most amazing time on my Camino Frances journey, I would like to know how hard it is to buy and open an Albergue in Spain or Portugal as a US citizen? Has anyone had any experience in doing this? I know it isn't easy as I talked to a few American couples who have done it. If there are any resources out there that explains it I would appreciate it, thank you so much. I can't be the only one thinking this after finishing!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I were you I would volunteer as a hospitalera first. However satisfying working in a refugio is it's a totally different kettle of fish to walking a Camino. And you would be working, each day, every day - there's a lot going on behind the scenes that pilgrims don't get to see.

I once owned an old farmhouse in France and the bureaucracy associated with that was quite onerous - I've no doubt that the bureaucracy in Spain could be just as bad but you must follow your dreams.

You'd probably miss Target and Walmart though 😉

If I were you I would volunteer as a hospitalera first. However satisfying working in a refugio is it's a totally different kettle of fish to walking a Camino. And you would be working, each day, every day - there's a lot going on behind the scenes that pilgrims don't get to see.

I once owned an old farmhouse in France and the bureaucracy associated with that was quite onerous - I've no doubt that the bureaucracy in Spain could be just as bad but you must follow your dreams.

Agreed. I volunteered at three albergues on two different caminos in Spain one summer, to get a feel for what it's like. It's bloody hard work. And you don't get to know pilgrims well because they're only with you for one evening, then you're up cleaning toilets and getting ready for the next crowd. Volunteer first.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Peter, I am volunteering in Portugal in August, and hoping to volunteer in Spain in October! Thinking it will give me a good idea on how it is to be in the day to day activity of working in an albergue. And still have the dream of opening one, although it sounds somewhat daunting! Keep me posted if you make any progress on that! Thanks!

Good on you! I’ve helped set up/ run a Backpackers, not quite the same but close.
Many years experience with the same, but none with Albergues! I’ve only completed one Camino to date- the Ingles- and only stayed in the private Albergue in Bruma. Time constraints ( and my nature- plan for the worst, hope for the best….) meant that I booked everything. Turned out to be justified ( Semana Santa) but that’s another story!
Heading back mid July, Primitivo this time, only the first night booked. Hope to stay primarily in Albergues this time.
Which country are you hoping to move to/ open your Albergue in?
My personal preference is Portugal, purely because it’s cheaper, and more people speak English. (Though I’d also learn the local language of course. Just as I’m currently leaving German - 😩). I’d also love to have some land with it, so I can grow more of my own food, have chicken’s again, etc. More work, but very fulfilling.
I’d love to hear how you get on. Which Albergues are you heading to? And what are you doing in between?

Hi Jeff, I am volunteering this summer 2 weeks in Portugal, 2 weeks in Spain and I also run a little vacation rental on my farm which I really enjoy that's why I think I would like it! And I never go to Target or Walmart- not that kind of girl! And I do agree that the bureaucracy might make it too hard unfortunately. Otherwise this is a dream come true.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good on you! I’ve helped set up/ run a Backpackers, not quite the same but close.
Many years experience with the same, but none with Albergues! I’ve only completed one Camino to date- the Ingles- and only stayed in the private Albergue in Bruma. Time constraints ( and my nature- plan for the worst, hope for the best….) meant that I booked everything. Turned out to be justified ( Semana Santa) but that’s another story!
Heading back mid July, Primitivo this time, only the first night booked. Hope to stay primarily in Albergues this time.
Which country are you hoping to move to/ open your Albergue in?
My personal preference is Portugal, purely because it’s cheaper, and more people speak English. (Though I’d also learn the local language of course. Just as I’m currently leaving German - 😩). I’d also love to have some land with it, so I can grow more of my own food, have chicken’s again, etc. More work, but very fulfilling.
I’d love to hear how you get on. Which Albergues are you heading to? And what are you doing in between?
Hi Peter, leaving my little farm in California in August, heading to Lisbon, then caminoing up to Santiago after volunteering a couple weeks, then off to Spain, hopefully volunteering on the Frances 2 weeks, gone a total of 3 months. Just saw this albergue for sale on the Frances, if I could figure it out I would! What a dream come true that would be! Good luck with your Camino Primitivo!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo is going for Sale for personal reasons ( Is an private Albergue dedicated to Art and Painting) this albergue is located in the French way, in a beautiful town between Leon and Astorga. For Serious inquiries please contact: alberguesanmiguel@gmail.com . Full assistance will be given about regulations, professional procedures and way to manage it.

Attachments

• Foto 5.jpg
    21 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo is going for Sale for personal reasons ( Is an private Albergue dedicated to Art and Painting) this albergue is located in the French way, in a beautiful town between Leon and Astorga. For Serious inquiries please contact: alberguesanmiguel@gmail.com . Full assistance will be given about regulations, professional procedures and way to manage it.

I saw that Arturo thank you for sending this. That is a great place, I stayed there last year. Trying to find some helpers to share it with me.!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back