• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opening hours of Pilgrims Office in St Jean Pied de Port?

Sharni

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: April/May 2011
Camino Norte/Vadiniense/Frances: April/May 2013
Camino Frances: April/May 2016
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the opening hours and days open for the Pilgrims Office in SJPdP for April. We come in late on the Saturday and would like to leave early on the Sunday. Kind Regards, Sharni

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I forgot to add that we would like to get our Pilgrims Passports in SJPdP that is why and check the weather conditions :) Thanks

Hello: Same answer to a previous post below: For February read April - you'll be fine!

Hello - I can find no reference to the Pilgrims Office in St Jean Pied de Port closing in winter. I have been there in late November and it was certainly open. It may be that opening hours are restricted at times in winter but that will be posted on the door. We know from lots of pilgrims that the office has been open and issuing weather information and warnings in February.

Buen Camino

John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your replies, and I did look before I posted and could not find any reference to actual times, as in, will it be open if we arrive at 10pm on Saturday night and want to leave at 6am Sunday? (for example). Because where I live pretty much everything apart from petrol stations and Nightowl Convenience Stores close at 9pm at the latest. Maybe I was not clear in my question or am reading the first reply wrong. I will definately look at the website mentioned in the second reply. Thank you.

The internet is being coy on the actual hours for the Pilgrim Office. It is open all year. However, it probably is not open early, probably closes midday (like all of France), and probably closes at a reasonable hour in the evening. You will know for certain only if you call them, or are luckier than I was on the internet.

Good information on St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port can be found here:

http://www.espritduchemin.org/English/welcome.html

This gite is closed until spring, but the site has lots of information and tips (none of which includes the daily hours of the Pilgrim Office).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm. 10:00 pm and 6:00 am are outside my experience.
However, During Easter in April 2004 the office was open until past 8:00 pm and before 7:00 am.
Don't know how much help that is.

Another pilgrims experience... it raises a red flag, put presents an alternative.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: Question About an Unconventional Camino
by hel&scott on 02 Feb 2011, 18:32

Yes you can get a credencial (pilgrim pasport) in St Jean, if you get there when the office is open. When we started from there it was late and as the office didn't open to late in the morning and we wanted an early start we left town without one and picked one up when we got to Roncesvalles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the replies and thanks especially Phillippe, I knew/hoped the answer would get here eventually ;) the internet was being coy! ;)

Did anyone get a reply from the camino office in SJPP regarding winter hours, or know for sure what they currently are/will be?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
to my recollection 7,30 to 10 with closed for meals sounds about right as i didn't make either morning or night...

In SJPdP the Pilgrims' office ie the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle In season is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with a Credential or Pilgrim Passport and lodging assistance.

These volunteers also help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find lodgings when you are on site.

Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Pilgrims

Thank you for that information, I have been compiling a list of questions to ask, now this one can be crossed off.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
opening hours of pilgrims office SJPP, from monday to sunday
from 7.30am to 10 pm, (sometimes later according to the last train from Bayonne)
with about one hour break for lunch and dinner, around noon and 7pm
regards philippe "hospitalero"SJPP
Hi Philippe
I'm arriving monday 10th with train from Bayonne at 22.08 in SJPP - are you by any change open?

Can anyone help:
Where to sleep arriving this late in the evening??

Hi Philippe
I'm arriving monday 10th with train from Bayonne at 22.08 in SJPP - are you by any change open?

Can anyone help:
Where to sleep arriving this late in the evening??

Philippe33 has not been on the forum since 2012. As mentioned above the office generally stays open until the arrival of pilgrims from the last train. Why not call the office from Bayonne to ask for assistance. Here is their listed current number for calls within France
05 59 37 05 09
or outside France
335 59 37 05 09

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you. We will be arriving on June 30th around 5pm and I wanted to make sure I would have time to obtain a pilgrims passport before starting out the next morning. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back