• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opening of the Commemorations of the Centenary of Amalia Rodrigues (1920 – 2020) - Portuguese music selection

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
To initiate the celebrations of the centenary of Amalia Rodrigues, the most famous of all fado singers, a seemingly ever increasing number of guitarists gather to perform in her honour.
For those of you who I know enjoy listening to some of these selections as background music while attending to your daily business, this nearly 1 hour performance should suit you just fine.

In the next selection we will start on fado and its singers, ok?

Perhaps one of our Portuguese speakers could translate for us what the professor at the start is saying.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To initiate the celebrations of the centenary of Amalia Rodrigues, the most famous of all fado singers, a seemingly ever increasing number of guitarists gather to perform in her honour.
For those of you who I know enjoy listening to some of these selections as background music while attending to your daily business, this nearly 1 hour performance should suit you just fine.

In the next selection we will start on fado and its singers, ok?

Perhaps one of our Portuguese speakers could translate for us what the professor at the start is saying.

Excellent. Amelia Rodrigues is a musical legend.

When you come to the present day, please give an honourable mention to Mariza.

As someone who struggles mightily with understanding Continental Portuguese, I gave it a try. But I have skipped the things I just can’t make out and have put in a mix of summary and direct translation.

“It’s very interesting for me to note that I am as old as Amalia (would be). In fact I’m five months older — my birthday is in February, hers in July. It’s very interesting — I like very much to talk about her. Especially on her 100th birthday. She was the best. I can’t imagine anyone better than Amalia. With her (as her accompanist for 29 years) I got to know the world. And now we can talk about her defects and her strong qualities. They make her one of the best of the whole world. She sang all kinds of music, such variety — French, Brazilian (she seemed to be Brazilian when she sang), Mexican (the “rancheras”), she was fantastic. In Spain, she even sang in Spanish better than the Spanish singers. Oh, yes, two fantastic pieces of music — Barco Negro and Cançao do Mar (Black Boat and Song of the Sea). With her rhythm, her guitars, she had an extraordinary force. (NOTE FROM ME — I keep hearing him say O Arco Negro, but I can’t find any song that she sang that has that title, but there is a very famous Amalia song, Barco Negro, so that’s what I’m assuming). They are exceptional pieces of music, they got the attention of the whole world.“

Then he plays a bit, hesitates and says I have never played this before. Then he plays again (a bit of Barco Negro) and says something like — careful, I don’t think my fingers have lost too much. But I never played this before.... then we fade into the more formal part

I did a little googling on the professor, Joel Pina, who died in February of this year, just before his 101st birthday. He accompanied Amalia for 30 years. The title “professor” was given to him by the many young musicians who learned from him. What a sweet face, may he rest in peace.

Here’s his biogaphy from the Museu do Fado.

I will have that on in the background this morning, thanks @gerardcarey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For those who enjoy Fado, I would highly recommend the documentary Fados, produced by the brillliant Carlos Saura:
. Not only does this film provide an interesting historical overview of fado and the variations within this style of music, but also it is captured in the signature cinematic style of Carlos Saura. It is also possible to purchase a soundtrack of this masterful production. I bought a copy many years ago when the film was first released and continue to enoy listening to it from time to time. As a new resident of Portugal, it may now have new meaning for me as I (hopefully) acquire some of the language.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As someone who struggles mightily with understanding Continental Portuguese, I gave it a try. But I have skipped the things I just can’t make out and have put in a mix of summary and direct translation.

“It’s very interesting for me to note that I am as old as Amalia (would be). In fact I’m five months older — my birthday is in February, hers in July. It’s very interesting — I like very much to talk about her. Especially on her 100th birthday. She was the best. I can’t imagine anyone better than Amalia. With her (as her accompanist for 29 years) I got to know the world. And now we can talk about her defects and her strong qualities. They make her one of the best of the whole world. She sang all kinds of music, such variety — French, Brazilian (she seemed to be Brazilian when she sang), Mexican (the “rancheras”), she was fantastic. In Spain, she even sang in Spanish better than the Spanish singers. Oh, yes, two fantastic pieces of music — Barco Negro and Cançao do Mar (Black Boat and Song of the Sea). With her rhythm, her guitars, she had an extraordinary force. (NOTE FROM ME — I keep hearing him say O Arco Negro, but I can’t find any song that she sang that has that title, but there is a very famous Amalia song, Barco Negro, so that’s what I’m assuming). They are exceptional pieces of music, they got the attention of the whole world.“

Then he plays a bit, hesitates and says I have never played this before. Then he plays again (a bit of Barco Negro) and says something like — careful, I don’t think my fingers have lost too much. But I never played this before.... then we fade into the more formal part

I did a little googling on the professor, Joel Pina, who died in February of this year, just before his 101st birthday. He accompanied Amalia for 30 years. The title “professor” was given to him by the many young musicians who learned from him. What a sweet face, may he rest in peace.

Here’s his biogaphy from the Museu do Fado.

I will have that on in the background this morning, thanks @gerardcarey
Excellent!
Thank you ever so much for your time spent in collecting and supplying the detail.
I couldn't have wished for more.
Regards
Gerard

Spent a blissful afternoon in the Fado Museo (it's only a block from the waterfront in Lisboa) in Sept. 2018. Worth every minute. Also, spent that same morning in the Museum of Tile (for which Portugal is also famous). That too was worth the time I spent, learning about more than just tile in the history and background of Lisboa.
Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And don’t forget you can also visit Amalia’s house in Lisbon! It’s near the Rato metro. When we were there, the house was still being maintained by someone who had worked for Amalia for years, and it felt as if the owner had just left the house for a trip to the grocery store. I’m assuming it will have lots going on during this centennial year, assuming covid protocols allow.

Spent a blissful afternoon in the Fado Museo (it's only a block from the waterfront in Lisboa) in Sept. 2018. Worth every minute. Also, spent that same morning in the Museum of Tile (for which Portugal is also famous). That too was worth the time I spent, learning about more than just tile in the history and background of Lisboa.
Bom Caminho!
Oh, yes! I loved both of those museums. Just found it fascinating to be on the waterfront in the city from which Magellan et al set sail to 'discover' this part of the world. The city is a mix of very modern and very old.........

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.