• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OpenStreetMap - how reliable?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
OpenStreetMaps
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/51.500/-0.100 seems to be a very useful source of map data that one could use via a smartphone on pilgrimage routes in Europe.

Does anyone have any experience with OpenStreetMap (specifically for Italy) that might be helpful?

Regards

Bob M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven't used OpenStreetMaps directly, but I have used then as from with the GPS app (MotionX) on my iPhone. I did the Camino del Norte in October and used MotionX as a backup if I got off course.

MotionX's maps are OpenStreetMap (streets) and OpenCycleMaps (terrain). I also had uploaded a Camino del Norte route that I got from WikiLoc. The OpenStreetMaps and the route worked great. The few times I took a wrong turn, they got me back on track really quickly.

Long way to say that I'm an OpenStreetMaps fan...

Thanks for the information, egar.

I have a question about data usage on your iPhone. Does MotionX load maps onto your phone, or does it access the internet whenever you are using a map? The latter could chew up the data allowance for the internet connection. Internet-based maps can be really data-hungry.

BTW MotionX seems to be available only for Apple devices, not android devices like Samsung. But I need to do some more research on that. You gave me a few good leads.

Bob M

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OpenStreetMaps
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/51.500/-0.100 seems to be a very useful source of map data that one could use via a smartphone on pilgrimage routes in Europe.

Does anyone have any experience with OpenStreetMap (specifically for Italy) that might be helpful?

Regards

Bob M

Any map will depend on who/when created it. Unless somebody knows the exact sections I'm not sure you'll know how good the things are.

OTOH you mention Italy. If your phone is unlocked just get an Italian sim. At most €15 will get you all the data and voice you'll need for a month.

Also with Google maps you can pre load the maps. You'll only need VERY little data for turn by turn.

Thanks for the information, egar.

I have a question about data usage on your iPhone. Does MotionX load maps onto your phone, or does it access the internet whenever you are using a map? The latter could chew up the data allowance for the internet connection. Internet-based maps can be really data-hungry.

BTW MotionX seems to be available only for Apple devices, not android devices like Samsung. But I need to do some more research on that. You gave me a few good leads.

Bob M

Yes, MotionX is only for iOS devices. There are many similar GPS apps for Android, though I can't tell you much about them.

The better GPS apps will let you download maps for offline use. That's what I did for my Camino -- it worked like a charm. No need for a data plan.

You'll also need to download a route or "track" of the Camino route you'll be taking. In many ways that will be more important than the map. If you GPS shows you on the route, then you are on course. The map is handy for finding sites off the route and for finding you bearings by streets and landmarks to help you get back to the route.

Hi BobM,
On Android, you can have a look to Locus or OruxMap.
Both are able to use offline maps.
Have a look to Mobac "the mobile atlas creator", when it comes to prepare the maps...

BR, Jacques-D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thx, egar and jdpiguet. Much obliged to you both.

egar makes good points. My Dakota 20 GPS unit maps (the base map and one on a micro SD card) were deleted by accident last year when I downloaded a GPX file at an internet cafe, but the Route data was unaffected, and it was fine for navigation. A map is helpful if you want to divert from the GPS route, or find your accommodation.

So for next year I am looking a getting an app for my android phone as a backup in case the Dakota 20 fails. Once bitten, twice shy.

BTW, do you find the mobile phone screen usable in bright outdoor conditions? My Galaxy 3 screen is virtually unusable in bright outdoor light. The Dakota screen is fantastic in even the brightest light

Thx for the android leads, jdpiguet. Very helpful.

Rgds

Bob M

PS: Garmin eventually replaced my Dakota maps, but only after several protracted complaints and a letter to Garmin HQ. How they were actually deleted remains a mystery. Maybe malware at the internet cafe?

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.