• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opinion for clothing to bring for May

Tixunau

Hi,

I will be walking Sarria-Santiago this May 5-9. I know that it is to early to predict on weather but I am have no clue right now what kind of clothing to bring. Right now I have on my list:

- 2 x tech t-shirt (very quick dry)
- 1 merino wool t-shirt
- 1 merino wool long sleeves shirt
- 1 merino wool legging (still debating if I should bring it)
- 2 x hiking pants with quick zip
- 3 x merino wool socks
- 3 x boxer briefs

- gore-tex hard shell coat
- gore-tex hard shell pants
- fleece type hoodie (TNF Super Zephyrushttp://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-super-zephyrus-hoodie.html)
- merino wool buff
- merino wool beanie

Should I be bringing a wool type hoodie (260 mg wool) instead of the TNF fleece?

* sleeping system: I will have a 3 season sleeping bag with me. I don't remember the temp on it right now.
** walking system: Salomon high rise hiking shoes and a pair of sandals

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Cheers!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tixunau,
I could be way off but I think from your top section: one pair of zip off pants, a pair of shorts, 1 long sleeve merino top and 1 short sleeve merino wool top, 2 boxer briefs, 3 pair merino socks would be enough. Keep the bottom section as is. If you were going for 30 days I might do more but not for such a short time. Good luck and have a great time!
Stefania

The weather can be variable in May, but I've walked twice in May/June and, from memory, here are the clothes I packed:

2 pairs quick drying hiking pants - so one on and one in mypack
2 quick dry shirts for walking
1 shirt for days off etc
3 sets underwear
2 lightweight camisole tops (should have mentioned I'm female!)
3 pairs of cheap hiking socks
3 pairs of thick knee-hi type stockings to wear under socks
1 goretex rain jacket
1 fleece jacket
Gloves, cheap lightweight for hiking, worn once on way from SJPP to Roncesvalles
Hiking shoes
Thongs (flip-flops ?) to wear in the shower
Sandals for wearing after walking
Sleeping bag, lightweight, suitable to +5C, plus silk liner which I hardly used
2 lightweight hiking towels
plus personal items and medication.

I was walking for six weeks. As you are only doing a few days, I think you can cut out the leggings, goretex pants, the beanie, the buff - whatever that is! Albergues are quite close in the last 100 kms of the Camino Frances so, if the weather is really bad, you won't have far to walk to get some shelter.

Trudy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think your list is fine. Rather than a wool buff or wool hoodie, you might want to consider a light weight balaclava. I walked in October and November and was really glad I had it along. Also, my hard shell rain jacket came with zippers along the sides (as I think most do these days). It really amazed me how adjusting the zippers kept me comfortable as the weather changed during the day. Buen Camino!

Thanks folks. I am still debating on what to bring but once I have somehow my final list, I'll post it for further inputs.

Thank you for all your recommendations .

Cheers!

Minh

I think your list is fine too. A bit of overkill on the top half - if you have a hoodie you don't need a buff and beanie. I probably wouldn't take the hoodie because I'd find layering the merino T-shirt with the merino long sleeve and a Goretex jacket would be plenty warm enough. But it would be nice for the evenings. And it's a short walk so carrying a bit extra won't hurt.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I will be walking Sarria-Santiago this May 5-9. I know that it is to early to predict on weather but I am have no clue right now what kind of clothing to bring. Right now I have on my list:

- 2 x tech t-shirt (very quick dry)
- 1 merino wool t-shirt
- 1 merino wool long sleeves shirt
- 1 merino wool legging (still debating if I should bring it)
- 2 x hiking pants with quick zip
- 3 x merino wool socks
- 3 x boxer briefs

- gore-tex hard shell coat
- gore-tex hard shell pants
- fleece type hoodie (TNF Super Zephyrushttp://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-super-zephyrus-hoodie.html)
- merino wool buff
- merino wool beanie

Should I be bringing a wool type hoodie (260 mg wool) instead of the TNF fleece?

* sleeping system: I will have a 3 season sleeping bag with me. I don't remember the temp on it right now.
** walking system: Salomon high rise hiking shoes and a pair of sandals

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Cheers!

-I'd bring more than 3 socks. At least 4. That way you have a change for each of your feet.

-You need a hat that has at least a visor to protect from sun.

-3 t-shirts and a long shirt for 5 days?
-2 long pants ... you don't need leggings.

-Change out the hoodie for a 200 weight fleece jacket. You already have the wool tuque and a buff.

-light ragknit wool gloves are nice to have on cool wet days.

-I'd leave the hard shell pants. The hiking pants are probably thin enough to dry quickly with heat from your legs.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.