• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opinion

jerbear

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
I have a problem watching people wash their socks and underware in the sink that i wash the dishes in. I followed a group that only used the kitchen sink even thou there were pans to do this they dove right into the sink. I said something and they looked at me like what....? Oh this group never used the kitchens they all went out to eat. So whats you take on this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a problem watching people wash their socks and underware in the sink that i wash the dishes in. I followed a group that only used the kitchen sink even thou there were pans to do this they dove right into the sink. I said something and they looked at me like what....? Oh this group never used the kitchens they all went out to eat. So whats you take on this.

Indeed not hygienic at all. Think you are right.
Is there no outside bassin in this particular albergue? If not then they should do the washing in the sink of the bathroom , not the kitchen. Just my idea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Indeed not hygienic at all. Think you are right.
Is there no outside bassin in this particular albergue? If not then they should do the washing in the sink of the bathroom , not the kitchen. Just my idea.

I see this lots in different places. Thete are always a place to laundry at the alburge. Seem to want the kit for hot water i am guessing. Thaks for your thoughts.

No, I would never do that - but a reality check:

Even if somebody does it, what is the actual health risk? I am not speaking about the YIKES factor - but an actual health risk. If they wash their cloths (undies included) with soap and hot water, risk of transmission of germs is minuscule.

The reason they do it is a) most cloths washing basins only provide cold water b)most bathroom sinks are too small

Solution to suggest:

Take your clothes with you when you shower and pre-soak them there in the same lovely hot-soapy water you are currently having a shower in. After that, transfer clothes to the designated basins and give them that final rinse.

Buen Camino, SY

It's not really the way to do it.
It's not done to do your wassing in the kitchen sink.

Wish you well, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with the group: ick. But even if you don't see someone do this, how do you know the sink is really clean? And just how dirty is the food being washed there...I see lots of trucks driving down the highway here with tomatoes and lettuce, etc just sitting in open wire cages. I'd say clean the sink out (without wasting too much water) or you can do what I did--carry a few large zip lock bags. in questionable kitchens I put one in the sink to place my food in while preparing. I washed my clothes in a different one. I admit to questioning what all may have happened on a shower floor.:eek:

Now if someone tried to wash their socks or underwear in the sink while I was using it to prepare my dinner, there would probably be words exchanged.

otoh, tiny homes are the big thing now in the US for many people...outrageously overpriced homes less than 300 sq feet...many have just one sink, period...for everything. Others put the toilet in the shower. so...

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 29
Oooohhhhh... definitely not hygienic! :( I usually wash my clothes in the bathroom if there is no laundry facilities! Hmmmmmm ... food and potential bugs not to ever share surfaces.... yikes!

What they did was rude and gross.
Though I understand most people are non-confrontational, a bit of constructive criticism to those dumba**es would probably benefit everyone, including them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My first thought was: eek. Then my mind wandered to various situations where I was surprised that people did things differently to what I was used to:
When washing dishes, they don't put any water into the sink. They wash everything under running water.
When washing dishes, they put a plastic bowl into the sink and wash the dishes in the bowl, and similar for food.
They wash dishes directly in water in the sink but when washing food, they put a plastic bowl into the sink and wash the food in the bowl.

Indeed. Also sometimes using a sponge for dishwashing whereas others use a brush.

But when they start clipping their toenails in the kitchen...now that is another story....:eek:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd never wash my clothes in the kitchen sink if there was another option, but I don't think that its much of a hygiene issue. The sink gets rinsed out and surfaces get wiped down, so any "cooties" that came out of the clothes being washed would be rinsed away.

We are talking about the use of either a stainless steel, stone or ceramic sink with a non-porous finish that can be easily washed and rinsed clean? Dare I suggest there are more likely to be dangerous pathogens associated with food preparation and used towels and dish cloths than a well rinsed pair of undies, no matter how distasteful the latter might be.

Badmannered or unintelligent people. And far from hygienc! Would they do that at hom?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So whats you take on this.
I don't use a kitchen sink that way either.
However, what I thought while reading this thread is more about how differences make us surprised-uneasy-intolerant-insulting...

I have a problem......I said something and they looked at me like what....?
This points it out: I have a problem and they don't get it.
Because A is used to do things one way and B another way. Both think their way is the way. If A says something to B about what should be done and how, B won't necessarily understand A because 1) s-he never did it another way than hers-his 2) s-he won't get that A looks at her-him through A's perspective.
(Am I clear here????? :confused:;) )

Just not on, but then some people don't know any better.
What about "some people have different ways and may not have considered doing things my way"?

It's not done to do your washing in the kitchen sink.
Well... Obviously, in some corners of the world, it is.
I once had only one kitchen sink in my whole (very tiny) apartment. Guess where I had to do my laundry/brush my teeth/wash/... sometimes!

What they did was rude and gross.
Badmannered.... Would they do that at hom?
Or maybe natural and common where they come from, so yep, they would do that at home.
Rude, gross and bad-mannered where you come from. So of course, you wouldn't do it at home ;)

unintelligent people
those dumba**es
... nice Camino-feeling! o_O

I was surprised that people did things differently to what I was used to:
What a lovely sentence and summary of what I'm trying to say here ;)

So whats you take on this.
Travels and community life is full of confrontation to "different" ways of doing things... Let's all work on tolerance, open-mindedness, basic non-violent communication and benevolence :)

full

However, what I thought while reading this thread is more about how differences make us surprised-uneasy-intolerant-insulting...

Because A is used to do things one way and B another way. Both think their way is the way. If A says something to B about what should be done and how, B won't necessarily understand A because 1) s-he never did it another way than hers-his 2) s-he won't get that A looks at her-him through A's perspective.

What about "some people have different ways and may not have considered doing things my way"?

I once had only one kitchen sink in my whole (very tiny) apartment. Guess where I had to do my laundry/brush my teeth/wash/... sometimes!

Or maybe natural and common where they come from, so yep, they would do that at home.
Rude, gross and bad-mannered where you come from. So of course, you wouldn't do it at home ;)

Travels and community life is full of confrontation to "different" ways of doing things... Let's all work on tolerance, open-mindedness, basic non-violent communication and benevolence :)

full
Nice touchy, feely and hugs and kisses type responses, but at the end of the day, no matter how you look at it, it's rude and nasty to wash funky, sweaty, smelly socks and skivvies in the kitchen sink of a public albergue. There's no excuse for it. The kitchen area and sink where food is prepared, dishes and cookwear washed. Even more evident it's not the right thing to do is that everyone else is washing their's at the wash basins. Something surely observed by the rude pilgrims somewhere on the Camino prior to the activity witnessed by the OP. So the old "noble savage" bit that they didn't know any better doesn't hold much water.
Now excuse me while I go have a group hug and sing kumbaya....:D

full

One of the best reply posts I've seen here.

Congrats! Loved it.

It's a big world people! We do things differently... Some of them do not catch our eyes, but some just hits you...

I'm not saying I'd do it... I agree that it seems like a bit of lack of common sense but...

... If you have the chance to travel around the world and spend some time with other cultures, you'll find a lot of situations just like this one... And on people's house... You can even remove the "camino factor" away and it still happens.

I have to be honest and state that - at first - I'd also be a bit disgusted seeing this scene. Specially if I'm about to cook!

But then I just rationalise... And just try to accept its a big world out there...

Buen camino amigos!

Ultreya :D:);)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of the best reply posts I've seen here.

Congrats! Loved it.

It's a big world people! We do things differently... Some of them do not catch our eyes, but some just hits you...

I'm not saying I'd do it... I agree that it seems like a bit of lack of common sense but...

... If you have the chance to travel around the world and spend some time with other cultures, you'll find a lot of situations just like this one... And on people's house... You can even remove the "camino factor" away and it still happens.

I have to be honest and state that - at first - I'd also be a bit disgusted seeing this scene. Specially if I'm about to cook!

But then I just rationalise... And just try to accept its a big world out there...

Buenos camino amigos!

Ultreya :D:);)
I lived and worked in underdeveloped parts of Afghanistan for several years.
No way, no how would clothing, especially undergarments have been washed where food was prepared. Was unthinkable and it just didn't happen. I would say that goes for 99.99% of cultures, both developed and undeveloped. Also I never saw it happen anywhere in my travels throughout SE Asia.
The behavior in question is simply a matter of apathy. Those people just didn't care that what they were doing was wrong. Not eating in the kitchen, so what difference does it make.

€149,-
Yes SY is correct. On my long walks I take my underwear and liner socks into the shower.. I use a wee bit of soap on them and tread them around whilst showering, rinse them off and wring them out before leaving the shower. Hey presto. I reckon I save time over other because I am completely bald, so don't feel too bad about this. I noticed that most people on the Pennine Way who were in the hostels also did their clothes in the shower.
And to add a possible upgrade to that- scrub over clothing your armpits and nether regions to make sure the right parts of the clothing get a good scrub then take off and trample underfoot...

Hey thanks for the opinions. Buen camino!

Yes SY is correct. On my long walks I take my underwear and liner socks into the shower.. I use a wee bit of soap on them and tread them around whilst showering, rinse them off and wring them out before leaving the shower. Hey presto. I reckon I save time over other because I am completely bald, so don't feel too bad about this. I noticed that most people on the Pennine Way who were in the hostels also did their clothes in the shower.
Hi Jimmy, the floor of most albergue showers has more gunk and germs on it than I care to imagine. I would think twice about washing my clothes on that surface. Probably won't kill you but the yuck factor is pretty big. But hey it makes for great camino stories. :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I get no kickback but: zip lock bags. Light weight, cheap, easily replaced...good for washing clothes, veggies, and for 16 days in Africa--me. The original He clothes washer, it requires little water and no one will force it open mid-cycle. Plus you can wash clothes and veggies outside, so you don't have to see what is happening in the kitchen sink or the shower stall. :eek:

I guess you meant to say not at the same time and not in the same vessel/receptacle. Otherwise, certainly in Europe, a lot of life took place in the kitchen: all the washing of clothes was done there and even bathing because households had moveable bathtubs and neither washing machines nor showers. In urban London and in rural Germany, for example. Second half of the 20th century. And these weren't particularly poor families. It was normal life.

As to the modern 21st century nomad: I travel with my own foldable wash basin. :cool:
Nah, just like I said. Nobody washed clothes where food is prepared.
I would be willing to bet that the rude, offending parties that the OP mentioned don't come from homes where food prep and washing of clothes takes place in the same room/sink/basin. I can honestly say I don't think I observed any of the truly "faithful poor" on any of the CF's I walked. Let's face it, for 99.99% of the pilgrims walking the Camino, it's a luxury. A holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it easy to do my laundry on the showers when I did them. A couple of places the albergue for a small fee did our laundry 3-5 euros included wash, dry and fold. We also walked in the winter so we would but our quick dry garments (all we carried) by the heaters or on the radiators and they dried by the time we woke up.
I agree the kitchen sink is not appropriate unless that is all there is. I have spent a lot of time in the bush of west Africa and many times families only owned 1 pot from which the prepared food, washed there clothing and took baths. When in Rome.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would suggest the same regarding a shower stall before laying down one's clothes and trodding around on them to 'wash' them.
Absolutely! All people accomplish when "pre-washing" clothes in the shower is using more hot water on themselves and pretending they did not. Don't come and tell me that sloshing clothes on the floor is done at the same time as washing oneself takes. And then all the water dripping!

Please, take your dirty but dry clothes out to the court yard to be washed in cold water in the dedicated basins.

... Don't come and tell me that sloshing clothes on the floor is done at the same time as washing oneself takes. And then all the water dripping! ...

I tell you ;-) and to avoid the dripping water drip-drops I use a plastic bag - problem solved. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Absolutely! All people accomplish when "pre-washing" clothes in the shower is using more hot water on themselves and pretending they did not. Don't come and tell me that sloshing clothes on the floor is done at the same time as washing oneself takes. And then all the water dripping!

Please, take your dirty but dry clothes out to the court yard to be washed in cold water in the dedicated basins.
Not all albergues have dedicated outside wash basins, I wish they did.

€149,-
never eat a meal you want to enjoy in the company of medical personnel

Really not my experience. Which albergue do you know that hasn't a dedicated clothes washing area? SY
Exactly....multiple Caminos and a heck of a lot of different albergues I stayed in, and I don't recollect a single one that didn't have some sort of separate washing area, or at least a sink of some sort for clothes.
I just could not imagine washing my clothes by stomping around on them on a shower floor, ha ha. Yuck. I suppose washing them in a shower without the stomping on a dirty shower floor (say carry them in there with you in a mesh bag or something) would be acceptable in a situation where there isn't a bunch of fellow pilgrims waiting for their turn in the showers and you are not burning the albergues supply of hot water up selfishly. If one has never prior to the Camino lived communally where shower time and hot water are limited, one has never learned the method of what we called in the military a "ship shower". Rinse. Shut off water. Lather up head to toe. Rinse off. If really funky, repeat. Hot water heaters aren't magic devices. Takes time for them to fill up and heat the water.
The Camino, especially the Camino Frances is hardly a walk across a third world country where one needs to bathe out of cooking pots, beat their laundry on rocks in a stream and split wood for a cooking fire, ha ha.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Eating off dishes recently washed in a laundry contaminated sink could result in an outbreak of Hepatitis Z. The symptoms could show up as cold feet on bare floors, sniffles and small brown spots on nose and hands. If left untreated Hepatitis Z will cause death in about 90 years. The only knows cure for Hepatitis Z is to either drink a gallon of holy water in less than 20 minutes or stand on your head for an hour each day facing the early morning rising sun. Repeat until symptoms disappear.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back