• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opinions on Anaya Cuaderno del Peregrino guide and 'Moleskine' type notebook

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
When I walked the Camino this autumn, I brought my Rother guide in English. My friend had the Brierley and loved reading up on everything, so I never touched mine and in the end I left it for someone else in Puente la Reina. Then when she had to leave I had no map and bought the Pili Pala wire bound maps, ripping them out as I went and only had the small strip map in my pocket. Many of the Spanish peregrinos had a small, black bound book with them, and I thought it was just a notebook, but it turns out it has a stage map across two pages, then four pages of lined notepaper, then more maps and height contours. It even has a removeable black booklet in the back with info on facilities like cash points, shops, albergues, hostales etc, some even with phone numbers, for all the little places you go past. I couldn't find this book anywhere en route, but bought one in Santiago thinking I could use it as a reminder of where I had been and the distances between places, making notes of albergues I had stayed in, people I had met ...

A great plan, and still I can't seem to do it, because I keep thinking it might be a great guide for next time. (Oh, yes, there will definitely be a next time!) Unfortunately I didn't speak enough Spanish to ask the peregrinos who used it how they liked it, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum has used it or heard anything about what it's like as your main guide? The link to the book is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuaderno-peregr ... 8497769775
They do guides for other routes too, and the size is just perfect for your pocket or bum bag as it measures only 14 x 9.2 x 1.7 cms and weighs only 180 g!

Any comments are much appreciated!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For those who might be interested I have taken some pics of the inside of the book so you can see how it works. It is dinky and compact and should work as a guide and also notebook, at least if you have walked it before and aren't worried about minor changes to the route (if there are any) as it is from 2010.

Attachments

• 2015-01-19 21.38.43.jpg
    2015-01-19 21.38.43.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • 2015-01-19 21.38.01.jpg
    2015-01-19 21.38.01.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 2015-01-19 21.39.22.jpg
    2015-01-19 21.39.22.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • 2015-01-19 21.37.17.jpg
    2015-01-19 21.37.17.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
I had a look at this in the gift shop at the Cathedral in Santiago last time I was there.

I use a Moleskine A5 book as a Camino journal, sticking in cards, receipts etc and stamping the occasional sello as well. I’m now on my second book, and fifth Camino - so the concept of a ‘themed’ notebook appealed.

To the extent that one needs a guidebook for the CF my thought was that it might as well be current. Ideally everything I carry would have two uses, or more. Nothing that I carry has less than one use and a ten-year-old guide falls into that category I’m afraid.

An appealing and attractive thing, but not for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Auch, what a price. It covers 10-12 days of my Camino so no thank you for that thing :D

I was given a book voucher recently & treated myself to a Moleskin journal for the Camino. Love using it.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.