• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opinions on my loadout? Pretty sure I'm taking too much..

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
So in about two months I'll be on my way, and I'm starting to get...antsy. Am I bringing too much? I think I am, but don't know what to take out. It all seems crucial here. Was hoping some of the more experienced pilgrims here could help narrow this down a bit and go "yah, you're never going to use that" or "hey, you forgot this!"

o First aid stuff
o Power outlet adapter
o Flashlight
o Camera and requisite stuff along with it
o Laptop (charger; tablet to save weight?)
o Pills for water cleansing
o Camel bag/attachment for backpack?
o Rain gear
o Rain suit
o Backpack Raincover
o Light umbrella
o Plastic bags
o TP
o Whistle
o Olsen Hegar and polyester thread (backpack repairs)
o Sink stopper (for alburgues where they’ve been taken) “For a universal sink stopper my husband cut a 75mm diametre circle out of a piece of heavy duty innertube”
o Clothesline
o Sheet of paper with name/e-mail sticky labels
o Reusable shopping bag thing
o Spork with serrated handle
o That shampoo stuff (This thing, though not that large of a bottle)
o Kitchen Sink (for washing clothes in busy alburques)
o Cotton diapers for drying off
o S-hook (for hanging pack)
o Duct tape (shoe/backpack repairs)
o Extra knife
o Notepad and pens
o Maps
o GPS
o Compass
o Paracord
o Some kind of Leatherman?
o Sleeping bag (for the hostel) Might want silk or cotton liner only since it’ll be warmer.
o Bathing suit
o SIM Card (Lebara card from simsforspain.com) or http://www.spainsim.com/microSIM.htm will deliver to starting town.
o Stone for Cruze de Ferro
o Trail books (guides & recreational)
o Spork
o Toiletries
o Camera
o Passport
o MP3 player/headphones/charger
o Phone/charger
o Power plug/USB thing

Clothes
o Hat
o 2x cargo shorts
o 2x light shorts
o Sandals
o Boots
o 2x Underwear
o 1x long jeans
o Shirts (light as I have)
o Sunglasses
o Wool cap
o Socks
o Sandles

Not sure if I'm bringing enough clothes either. That seems like a ....short list. Oh and should I bother with buying a walking stick state-side or just buy one there? Not sure if the hassle of shipping it over will be worth the savings of not buying it there (I imagine they're at a premium price). Oh also will a silk sleeping bag liner be enough, or should I bring the whole sleeping bag with it? I don't really get cold very easily. Also, should I bring a cover of some sort?

Also, tell me a bit about shoes. I haven't actually bought my hiking shoes yet because I can't decide whether a waterproof shoe or a breatheable shoe would be the better choice. I'd think breatheable for 99% of the time but that other 1% would be miserable hiking in wet shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi MCVet,

You asked for opinion. Please take no offense. I only want to assist:

o First aid stuff.....................Simple foot repair needs. Items can be purchased on the way.
o Power outlet adapter
o Flashlight...........................Headlamp?
o Laptop (charger; tablet to save weight?)......Tablet (if necessary.)
o Pills for water cleansing..........................Not needed.
o Rain gear
o Rain suit..........................................Too much space/weight. Poncho
o Backpack Raincover
o Light umbrella...................................Rain gear/poncho should do. The summer rain feels great!
o Plastic bags
o TP
o Whistle
o Sink stopper (for alburgues where they’ve been taken) “For a universal sink stopper my husband cut a 75mm diametre circle out of a piece of heavy duty innertube”
o Clothesline.............................................As light a line a possible. There are usually lines available. I think safety pins would be a good trade off to dry clothes on your backpack as you walk.
o Reusable shopping bag thing...........................One of my favorites!
o Kitchen Sink (for washing clothes in busy alburques)...........Huh?
o Cotton diapers for drying off......................................See above.
o S-hook (for hanging pack)........................................Not needed.
o Extra knife.........................................................Not needed if have Leatherman.
o Notepad and pens
o Maps
o GPS
o Compass................................Maps, GPS, Compass would depend on what you are using to guide you. I might have a couple of papers printed with "map" but nothing more.
o Paracord
o Sleeping bag (for the hostel) Might want silk or cotton liner only since it’ll be warmer.........Did I miss WHEN you'll be going? Silk liner is ideal if in summer.
o Bathing suit
o SIM Card (Lebara card from simsforspain.com) or http://www.spainsim.com/microSIM.htm will deliver to starting town.
o Trail books (guides & recreational)..............Books are HEAVY! Could this be on your tablet?
o Spork
o Toiletries
o Camera
o Passport
o Phone/charger
o Power plug/USB thing

Clothes
o Hat
o 2x cargo shorts
o 2x light shorts
o Sandals
o Boots
o 2x Underwear
o 1x long jeans........................NO JEANS! (Don't mean to yell here.)
o Shirts (light as I have)...............2/3?
o Sunglasses
o Wool cap...........................In warmer months?
o Socks
o Sandles.............................I'm sure you're only bring one pair.

I've backpacked 29 countries with my "day and half bag" (maybe 30l at most), two Caminos (3rd this summer), the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way in Scotland, the Grand Canyon, and will be on the Na'Pali Coast hiking in two weeks. I don't mention this for arrogance, but to give some insight on what I would bring (and not) if I were you. I'm one of the few that might have one simple 1st generation almost dead ipod, so all the other gadgets like these aren't issues for me. I've always been able to find internet along the way or a fellow peregrino has helped me if necessary. Glad not to carry all that extra weight.

Less is more. :D

Simeon

have taken out what wouldnt be in my backpack

o First aid stuff
o Flashlight (on my keychain)
o Poncho
o microfiber towel
o Plastic bags
o TP
o Whistle (on my keychain)
o Notepad and pens
o Maps
o Compass
o Sleeping bag (for the hostel) Might want silk or cotton liner only since it’ll be warmer.
o Toiletries
o Passport
o Phone/charger

Clothes
o Hat
o 2x cargo shorts
o 2x light shorts
o Sandals
o Boots
o 2x Underwear
o 1x long jeans
o Sunglasses
o Wool cap
o Socks
o Sandles

Now for clothes i am confused is that to bring or wear ?
for me i would wear
shoes
underwear
trousers
tshirt
(fleece)
cap/buff
socks

bring
lightweight shorts/capri
dress
1 bra 1 underwear 1 of those underwear that are almost shorts (all same dark color so use for swimming if oportunity comes up)
tshirt
shirt long sleeved
socks 2 pairs
(fleece)
windbreaker
flip flops

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a good baseline packing list on the CSJ site at http://www.csj.org.uk/planning.htm#take. If it's not on that list, think twice about taking it. If you then decide to keep it, think three times, or four if you have to.

You will will get plenty of advice from the ultra-light fanatics, who are prepared to take more risks, brag about their successes but never admit to those risks that they take in reducing their weight. My light-hearted take on their behaviours is at http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/miscellaneous-topics/topic11485.html. They are worth listening to because they have some interesting and novel ways to save weight, but you need to decide how much risk you are prepared to take when you contemplate not including items, and how much expense you are prepared to go to to purchase really lightweight equipment.

Regards,

Hi MCVet,

I would personally leave out:

Pills for water cleansing
Light umbrella
Kitchen Sink (for washing clothes in busy alburques) - could be nice though and can also be used to soak you feet in.
Jeans - heavy and take a long time to dry.

A poncho which covers you and your backpack could replace some raingear.
Do you have a smartphone that could act as your laptop/gps/map?
Instead of a book you could download some audiobooks to your mp3.

This is only my humble opinion and in the end it's about you feeling comfortable with what you bring :)

Buen camino! Therese

That is a LOT of stuff! Consider multi purpose stuff. For example, i am taking a smartphone which will act a computer, camera, ebook reader, phone, etc. It also then needs only 1 cord to charge it.

I think you have too much rain gear. If you gat an altus poncho you can drop thr rain suit, pack cover, umbrella, etc.

If you are bringing laundry line, use the smallest size climbbing rope you can find and get a tiny biner to secure it. You can then use it for many things including to hang your bag, if neccessary.

Definitely no jeans and no kitchen sink.

If you floss, you can use that for pack repairs, no need for the other thread.

Unless you're bushwhacking your camino you dont need a gps. Ditto for water tabs. This is a really long series of back to back day hikes, not backpacking.

Speaking of, how big is your pack? I settles on a 33l and it is driving me a bit nuts because it is about 10l more than i want or need. But, i will be traveling an additional 3 months after the camino and during the winter in the uk so i will keep it to hold the bulkier clothes i need then. I would suggest buying the smallest pack that is comfey and fitting your stuff to your pack, not the other way around.

Good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Think about a kindle/e-book reader and dispense with books/laptop. - If you need internet-use your phone.
-Leave the wool cap.
-Leave the water tablet thingys. Not sure if you need a guide book AND maps.Or for that matter GPS and compass neither.
-Do everyone a favour and leave the plastic bags.
- Jeans must be given a holiday from you.

I took too much last year and am seriously 'skinnying down', this year round. Buying stuff on the hoof makes more sense on may levels.

[quote="vagabondette".
I would suggest buying the smallest pack that is comfey and fitting your stuff to your pack, not the other way around.

Good luck.[/quote]

Good advice. As I said in a much earlier post on this theme, when I worked as a site carpenter, I made a small toolbox and fitted my kit into it, rather than making a box to take the tools (I'd never have lifted it)
Same with camino rucsacs. My Deuter 20 litre will hold everything needed(I hope) for the walk, anything missing I can get en-route anyway.

I would leave out the following. I feel there's a lot of "unneeded stuff" you plan on dragging along with you. I suspect 50% of it is going to be expensively mailed back home or put into the albergue FREE BOX on about your 2nd day! If I were you I'd scale way back. I can't tell you how many pilgrims I've met along the way who end up shipping stuff home after 2 or 3 days. But you'll learn. We all do.:

First aid stuff - Buy some Compeed when you first arrive arrive and buy anything else as you need it or borrow from another pilgrim.
o Power outlet adapter - If yours is bigger than 1 inch square, find another one.
o Flashlight - maybe a tiny led micro light about 2 inches long, but no flashlight is needed.
o Laptop (charger; tablet to save weight?) A big responsibility unless you REALLY need it. Where will you put it while you shower? Who will watch it? WHY do you need it? Use albergue computers unless you are staying in privates that offer free wi-fi - or better yet, experience being in nature without electronics for a few weeks. It's life-changing.
o Pills for water cleansing - There is no need for this. Water along the Camino is excellent.
o Rain gear - what type?
o Rain suit - redundant?
o Light umbrella - Why?
o Plastic bags - If you want to make friends in the albergue, please, no rattling plastic bags? What do you need these for?
o Whistle - for what? You will probably always be within sight of 20 pilgrims at the time of year you're going!
o Olsen Hegar and polyester thread (backpack repairs) - I can't imagine needing this
o Clothesline - every albergue has drying racks
o That shampoo stuff (This thing, though not that large of a bottle) - I wouldn't take any liquids. Buy a bar of soap you can also use for shampoo, like Liggets
o Kitchen Sink (for washing clothes in busy alburques) = Good Lord, is this April Fool's day?
o S-hook (for hanging pack) - Where will you hang it? Not on the beds!
o Duct tape (shoe/backpack repairs)- Do you really expect your backpack to fall apart on a gentle walk?
o Extra knife - Why? You can buy a good one for 5 Euros there
o Maps - Why?
o GPS - Why?
o Compass - Why?
o Paracord - Why?
o Some kind of Leatherman? - Why?
o Trail books (guides & recreational) - Why?
o Toiletries - all you need is soap and deoderant and toothpaste
o MP3 player/headphones/charger - Why? Listen to the birds instead? Talk to pilgrims?

Clothes
o 1x long jeans - Jeans are heavy and awfully uncomfortable when wet

Oh, and by the way, you forgot earplugs! :lol:
And when you get there, buy some Fels Naptha and cut it into 4 pieces. Take one to wash your clothes with and give the other 3 away.
I would leave some of this stuff at home! Go light and enjoy yourself. This is a mostly gentle walk through a beautiful modern country. It's not India in 1920. Anything you discover you need, you can buy there, or find in the FREE BOX where other pilgrims like yourself have carried WAY too much! :!:

How much does your loaded pack weigh, by the way? :|

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As a rough guide our packing list in rucksack is:- one full spare set of clothes + pair of extra briefs and liner socks, towel, light sleeping bag, the 'inner -tube' plug elastic-twist wash-line and 4 pegs each (and we have needed these), EU power adapter, phone charger and phone, mini toothpaste and travel t-brush, mini shampoo, soap, comb, w-proof poncho (+trousers in spring), Crocs, mini medical kit, Spork, Swiss card for knife-scissors etc.

Wearing:- short sleeve T, long sleeve shirt, zip-off pants, fleece, leather boots (waterproofed), sunhat, (+ long sleeved T and longjohns if cold - these double as nightwear). I have a very lightweight dress - also doubles as nightwear. In summer we would only have one fleece but in spring the layers are good at night, especially on the Norte/Primitivo.

If you can make as many things as possible do two jobs you can probably halve your load.

Our cameras take ordinary batteries, just carry one spare set as they can be bought anywhere. Our route guide (CSJ) is in a map pocket round our necks once we are walking. Whistle each and water.

The aim of 10% of body weight is a good guide. My pack weighs 6kg and Terry's 8kg including water.
We have worked at this to both keep weight down and also to have enough kit to keep warm and dry at the time of year we have walked.
Buen Camino

For all my caminos in autumn or winter
I wear --
thin waterproof jacket
runner's winter tights
short sleeve technical undershirt
long sleeve technical over-shirt
hiking boots with inner soles
underwear
hiking sox
money-belt with passport and credit card
walking stick
I carry --
30 liter backpack with waterproof cover
sleeping bag and silk liner
bug-proof sheet
poncho
muffler, woolly hat, gloves
polar fleece jacket
second pair runner's winter tights
second short sleeve technical tee shirt
second long sleeve technical tee shirt
long sleeve thermal undershirt
2 sets underwear
second pair hiking socks
pair night socks
sandals for relaxing
gaiters for snow
basic toiletries and medicines, small sizes
towel, small and thin (a seersucker dish towel!)
diary, pen
led light
Nokia N82 cellphone and charger,
...has good 5mp camera
...doubles as a computer for writing blog
liter water bottle,
food bag with -
..tea bags,
..some instant soup packs
..firm cheese
..chocolate
..waterproof matches
..plastic utensils and cup
water heating coil

total weight 6.5 kilos!!
Less is best, indeed

I did see a pilgrim using a twisted rubber clothesline for a unique privacy curtain my last camino. He stretched it around his bottom bunk and hung his clothes from it. So the clothesline might be a good idea on second thought... :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anniesantiago said:
How much does your loaded pack weigh, by the way? :|
A little cart would solve that problem easily. I've seen some people pulling them. From Ruiselan to La Faba they took the main road. Last year a German girl was doing the exercise with a small dog in the cart. Saw her a couple of times along the Francés, pretty energetically pushing on a windy day.
I'll never ask again about overweight backpacks! :mrgreen:

Hi Mcvet

I get the impression that you are trying to wind people up with this one (the kitchen sink gives it away). It seems to have worked as well. Good for you, we can all do with a little giggle now and again. When you go I shall watch your progress on Google Earth, your trailer should show up very well.

Have a great trip and Buen Camino

Ron

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
MCVet said:
I haven't actually bought my hiking shoes yet because I can't decide whether a waterproof shoe or a breatheable shoe would be the better choice. I'd think breatheable for 99% of the time but that other 1% would be miserable hiking in wet shoes.
You hit the nail on the head. So it would be for anybody else. :lol:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think you're a bit heavy on clothes. For example, four pair of shorts, and a pair of jeans, is a lot. I'm going in April, and for my legs will have only two pair underwear, lightwieght nylon hiking pants and a single pair of shorts. (I will also have a superlightweight down jacket (about 14 oz) and a superlightweight Goretex shell (about 13 oz) and a wool cap. Hats are important -- they are very light and keep you warmer than an extra jacket.)

You didn't give a weight for your pack. But if it's over 20# you've got too much. Mine is about 17 plus water, and I'm a very strong hiker and climber.

trumpy said:
I get the impression that you are trying to wind people up with this one (the kitchen sink gives it away). It seems to have worked as well. Good for you, we can all do with a little giggle now and again.

To the contrary, there is an actual product by that name, discussed elsewhere in these forums. It's a portable, collapsible basin, as you can see here: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/13

trumpy said:
Hi Mcvet I get the impression that you are trying to wind people up with this one (the kitchen sink gives it away). It seems to have worked as well. Ron
lol I agree Ron. Seems like McVet has taken everything mentioned on any equipment thread and rolled it into one. But I think I have spied a major omission: It's that thing-whose-name-I-don't-recall, but that lets women go trackside to the toilet, standing up like a man. Serious omission from such a comprehensive list!
Margaret
PS I'd be far too shy to ever put my equipment list on the forum in public view. Lots of people would think I was taking too much! But hey- I have a Compostela hanging on my wall :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried using one of those made of silicone just last week.
I had used a hard plastic one a few years back and like it, but it finally gave up the ghost.
So I got this new silicone one.
I thought I'd better give it a test before carrying it on the Camino.
I peed all down legs and had to hike out wet. :shock:
What a mess!
It went into the trash. :oops: :oops: :wink:

To the contrary, there is an actual product by that name, discussed elsewhere in these forums. It's a portable, collapsible basin, as you can see here: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/13
Yah it's actually that thread that got me to add it to my list. Will consider leaving it though. But then again, that thread makes it sound very useful.

Books are HEAVY! Could this be on your tablet?

Good idea. I've never really used the tablet to read so didn't think about that. May just consolidate it all to a smartphone though (which I don't currently have, so didn't think of that either)

In warmer months?

Wasn't sure what the weather would be like. Here in my part of Texas we have bipolar weather. It being 100 F one day and then 50 F the next isn't unheard of.

I'm sure you're only bring one pair.

Of sandles? Yah.

Do you have a smartphone that could act as your laptop/gps/map?

Good idea. I'm still a bit behind the technology curve so didn't think of that

Speaking of, how big is your pack? I settles on a 33l and it is driving me a bit nuts because it is about 10l more than i want or need.

Now there's something I keep going back and forth on. We don't have a outfitters nearby so I don't actually have my backpack yet. I'm driving 2 hours to the nearest REI next weekend to get fitted. I've been eyeing a 40 - 50 L pack because I hear people say that a 30L is too small, no a 40 L is too big, nope a 40L is too small, and I just don't know which account to believe.

-Do everyone a favour and leave the plastic bags.

Oh? Seems a lot of people bring them. Though I have to admit I don't know exactly for what. I just added it because every other gear list seemed to have them lol.

Why do you need it? Use albergue computers unless you are staying in privates that offer free wi-fi - or better yet, experience being in nature without electronics for a few weeks. It's life-changing.

Didn't know the Alberques had computers. I need some kind of computer or electronic device to upload pictures to and write in my journal. An organization is funding this trip for me and they require me to write a trail journal about it.

o Trail books (guides & recreational) - Why?

To read at night and while waiting. I also bought a book that talks about the culture along the way. I know a lot of people want to save as much weight as possible but it's only about half a pound or so and I think it'll be a lot more interesting than looking at something and not knowing why it's important.

o MP3 player/headphones/charger - Why? Listen to the birds instead? Talk to pilgrims?

Well I watched a Camino documentary on YouTube (it was posted on this site actually), and it seemed that, for long stretches, there was no one around them to talk to.

I get the impression that you are trying to wind people up with this one

Nah it's a real product. Also I think people like saying they brought everything and the kitchen sink. :D

It's that thing-whose-name-I-don't-recall, but that lets women go trackside to the toilet, standing up like a man. Serious omission from such a comprehensive list!

Luckily I was born with one pre-installed.

MCVet said:
So in about two months I'll be on my way, and I'm starting to get...antsy. Am I bringing too much? I think I am, but don't know what to take out. It all seems crucial here. Was hoping some of the more experienced pilgrims here could help narrow this down a bit and go "yah, you're never going to use that" or "hey, you forgot this!"

o First aid stuff
o Power outlet adapter
o Flashlight
o Laptop (charger; tablet to save weight?)
o Pills for water cleansing
o Rain gear
o Rain suit
o Backpack Raincover
o Light umbrella
o Plastic bags
o TP
o Whistle
o Clothesline
o Kitchen Sink (for washing clothes in busy alburques)
o Cotton diapers for drying off
o S-hook (for hanging pack)
o Extra knife
o Notepad and pens
o Maps
o GPS
o Compass
o Paracord
o Bathing suit
o Trail books (guides & recreational)
o Spork
o Toiletries
o Camera
o Passport
o Phone/charger
o Power plug/USB thing

Clothes
o Hat
o 2x cargo shorts
o 2x light shorts
o Sandals
o Boots
o 2x Underwear
o 1x long jeans
o Sunglasses
o Wool cap
o Socks
o Sandles

Not sure if I'm bringing enough clothes either. That seems like a ....short list. Oh and should I bother with buying a walking stick state-side or just buy one there? Not sure if the hassle of shipping it over will be worth the savings of not buying it there (I imagine they're at a premium price). Oh also will a silk sleeping bag liner be enough, or should I bring the whole sleeping bag with it? I don't really get cold very easily. Also, should I bring a cover of some sort?

Also, tell me a bit about shoes. I haven't actually bought my hiking shoes yet because I can't decide whether a waterproof shoe or a breatheable shoe would be the better choice. I'd think breatheable for 99% of the time but that other 1% would be miserable hiking in wet shoes.

You have missed one very very essential piece of kit without which you may find yourself in a an awkward position, namely marigold gloves... to go with the kitchen sink. You will regret a painful dose of contact dermatitis! They also double up as hi-vis gloves, finger puppets and a layer of insulation.... Such fun is employed here! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is quite a loadout, speaks to your fine training in the outdoors.
If you're going to REI, check out their lightweight Flash Packs,
I leave Easter Monday and am carrying a grey Flash 65 liter 2011 edition,
with some empty room, for what I find along the way a la McGyver!

Buen Camino!

KiwiNomad06 said:
But I think I have spied a major omission: It's that thing-whose-name-I-don't-recall, but that lets women go trackside to the toilet, standing up like a man. Serious omission from such a comprehensive list!

Gals on the forum, that long-named thing is very easy to make from a 500ml plastic water bottle. Just cut the top diagonally. Keep it inside a plastic bag. Cheap and disposable! :)

Hi MCVet,

I walked mid June-mid July last year. Before going, I looked through multiple packing lists and then created my own, which was some mix of everything I read, plus things that were important to me. You can find my list at http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/so-you-think-you-wanna-walk-2/

Re: sleeping bag vs. liner, I personally vote for a sleeping bag. Not every albergue has blankets readily available, and I didn't trust the cleanness of it in some places. When you have your own sleeping bag, you can always count on being warm enough and clean :) At the same time, I've seen several pilgrims walking without a sleeping bag, so it's doable, just a matter of personal preference.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm on the VdP now and many people use little mesh laundry bags (used for washing lingerie) to organize their clothes, undies, laundry stuff, etc. instead of ziplocs or plastic bags. Great, light, idea.

Ah, I spotted another essential missing from your kit... namely dowsing rods. Finding water, extra tent pegs, pining down errant lunch packs or fellow pilgrims... the applications are endless... its a must to your fabulous kit list. :mrgreen:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Another idea is to use waterproof dry bags (REI has a good collection) to sort your clothes and other kit into groups. It would also serve to keep your kit dry in case of foul weather.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
MCVet said:

Good stuff, thanks! That's pretty much what my list looks like at the moment. How'd it work out for you? Anything you wished you had/hadn't taken?

With everything on the list, it added up to 8.5 kg, water included (1 kg). I was very happy with what I took-- I used everything I took with the exception of emergency antidiarrheals...which I'm glad I didn't need :) So in terms of taking too much stuff, there was really nothing left unused. In terms of things I didn't take, I do plan on taking an iPad with me on my next Camino (Via de la Plata this May), partly to get connected, but mostly so that I can update my blog, so that has a very particular purpose. I also plan on taking a couple of fairly rich granola bars as emergency food, in case of need. Of course, a credential if you plan on getting it in advance (I got mine in SJPP)...other than that, I think this list sums it up for me :) I ran into pilgrims who either sent home kilograms worth of stuff because they brought too much, or bought a lot of extras along the way because they didn't come prepared. And whereas it helps to know that you can find almost everything you need on the Camino, it's nice to have the things you prefer and it's usually also more economic to buy before than on the Camino.

Hope this helps!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back