• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oporto eats

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2009
Portuguese Interior (2014)
Hadrian's Wall (2017)
Porto to SdC ( Seaside) 2019
One of the things that I have been "least good" at doing was researching items of the palate that I need to enjoy while I am pilgriming about. I read, in an email from a fellow forum member (and quite the host in Lisbon and promoter of the Portugal Interior route - " amsimoes " on this blog), about a particular one - it's hard to call it delicate - in Oporto. If going, you might give it a try. I'm going to in the fall!

"If there is one traditional Porto dish that every visitor should try, it is the francesinha. Full disclosure: this is definitely not going to be the healthiest thing you have had in your lifetime. It will, however, be sublimely tasty. Available all over town, locals tend to favor a place called Santiago. They don’t take reservations though, so get there early (think 11:30 a.m. for lunch, or 6:30 p.m. for dinner). And what is it you ask? A white-bread sandwich filled with ham, sausage and steak, covered in melted cheese, topped with a thick tomato and beer sauce, and served with french fries."

Any other places / foods I just have to try?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One of the things that I have been "least good" at doing was researching items of the palate that I need to enjoy while I am pilgriming about. I read, in an email from a fellow forum member (and quite the host in Lisbon and promoter of the Portugal Interior route - " amsimoes " on this blog), about a particular one - it's hard to call it delicate - in Oporto. If going, you might give it a try. I'm going to in the fall!

"If there is one traditional Porto dish that every visitor should try, it is the francesinha. Full disclosure: this is definitely not going to be the healthiest thing you have had in your lifetime. It will, however, be sublimely tasty. Available all over town, locals tend to favor a place called Santiago. They don’t take reservations though, so get there early (think 11:30 a.m. for lunch, or 6:30 p.m. for dinner). And what is it you ask? A white-bread sandwich filled with ham, sausage and steak, covered in melted cheese, topped with a thick tomato and beer sauce, and served with french fries."

Any other places / foods I just have to try?
Francesinha often is topped with a fried egg. A cholesterol bomb :confused:
Better go for one of the 365 bacalhau dishes in all varieties. Coddfish . Far more healthy. If you like to order a francesinha and you are with two persons , order one dish. More than enough for two. And back home consult your cardiologist to check your heart and vains. Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Loads of eateries down along the river with traditional dishes at tourist prices, unfortunately.
Better go off from the riverbank to find a restaurant. However Porto is a tourists town there are places to find where to locals eat .
On my ipad I have a Portuguese app, Evasões, unfortunately for most people in Portuguese language, where you can find the good places to stay, wherever in Portugal.so we found a small restaurant in a small street just behind the waterfront.
They didn't have a menu but the two ladies who obviously owned the restaurant asked what we liked-fish or meat-and cooked a delicious fish meal for us. Costs with a glass of wine and a cappuccino afterwards 15€ for us both.can't wait to be there again next month.

Last edited:
When I walked last Oct between Lisbon and Porto, I saw francesinhas as frequently on the menues as cod fish. The closer to Porto the more places offered it, usually with the egg on top, traditional dish nowdays. So it doesn't have to be necessarily in Porto. There was a Portuguese guy with whom we walked, he said it's all in the sauce, the quality could differ from one place to another. He said he could eat it every day if he had a chance :) Among other things that I found puculiar - try yellow lupin beans, usually sold in brine (any time of the year) and chesnuts if you walk in autumn. And soft goat's cheese sold in supermarkets in a plastic tube/small round container, resembles Mozarella but softer, my fav.

Last edited:
Kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity! Pleased I had one. No plans for a second. My friend had it with a Coke Zero, the irony.

A days worth of calories in one meal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A few places I enjoyed in Porto ...

Está-se-ban (a unique cafe on a side alley near the river that had a fantastic coffee butter. Good for a light meal or snack.)

Bacalhau and Cafe do Cais (near each other on the hidden walkway overlooking the river. We sat at a table outside. Not a better view in Porto)

I was in Oporto in december for two weeks and had a chance to try out a couple of places. It's always safest to follow the locals when they go to lunch. You can eat great food for very cheap.

I'll edit this post when I come home and write my favorites with addresses.

Please beware of expensive Ribeira tourist traps, don't know if I can name the place but if you want to be safe always ask for the menu, check the prices and ask for the receipt. The cakes on the table aren't free. Some places along the camino will give you free croissants or cakes, if not sure always ask.

I used the app Zomato to find places with good reviews and they have photos of menus and food.

Restaurante Sai Cão (R. do Bonjardim 635A) - Great food, big portions, very cheap. The menu is in Portuguese.

Almada Cafe (R. do Dr. Ricardo Jorge 74) - same as above but with photos of dishes in the window, easy to order but first look what others are eating. You might get lucky and come on a day they serve octopus.

Castiço da Sé (Rua da Bainharia 80) - a small place, the woman working there seems tired but still very nice, she took the time to talk to us and explain the dishes. Great meat dishes, salmon was fried and I'm not a fan of frying so wouldn't order fish again. Loved watching people around me here.

The three places above we came back to a couple of times.

Our absolute favorite was Paraíso Sport Club da Foz (Rua do Paraíso da Foz 60) - a bit far for the central route but close to the coastal route. People working there are amazing. The first time we were there, the kitchen was closed but they made us huge salads. We came back there to try the Francezinha and also cozido.

Guindalense Football Club (Escada dos Guindais ), a terrace overlooking the Luís I Bridge. Great view while drinking coffee or beer. Don't recommend the 'hamburger'. There is a cat that keeps you company and a chatty parrot.

If you want a nice view but not a crowd while drinking coffee, there is a place on the coastal route looking at the ornithological reserve, Douro Chique (next to the little bridge just before Jardim do Cálem on the Douro river).

OK, I know the post was about food and not places but I wasn't very impressed by all the must try foods there and was very impressed by normal meals. The food I would recommend:

I was looking for the best pastel de nata and kept being disappointed (too sweet for my taste) so I tried tarte in Confeitaria do Bolhão (R. Formosa 339 ). Loved it! Ate one every day after that.

A sandwich in Casa Guedes (Praça dos Poveiros 130 ). Just bread, meat and cheese, but so good! If you could sneak in some lettuce it would be perfect.

Chicken curry in Tia Orlanda - Sabores Moçambicanos (Rua das Taipas 113). The portions are for two people. This was our priciest meal because you get bread with sauces while you wait and they ask you if you want to try the samosas. This adds to 4 euro but is too salty/spicy and not really worth the money. The curry though is very mild and aromatic.

The francesinha (tried two) is as a meal too much for me. Trying to fit all kinds of meats into a lot of bread and a lot of cheese. The egg is hardly noticeable with everything else going on. The sauce is tasty but it's the same thing we use for goulash back home (more or less). This is several meals combined into one.

Last edited:
Better go off from the riverbank to find a restaurant. .....so we found a small restaurant in a small street just behind the waterfront.
They didn't have a menu but the two ladies who obviously owned the restaurant asked what we liked-fish or meat-and cooked a delicious fish meal for us. Costs with a glass of wine and a cappuccino afterwards 15€ for us both.can't wait to be there again next month.

@Albertinho Do you recall the name of this restaurant, or can you double check your app? We would definitely want to visit this place! Thanks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.