• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oprah goes Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

http://paidpost.nytimes.com/own/opr...ginalia&pgtype=article&version=PaidPostDriver

OWN’s epic series “Belief” is a groundbreaking look at spirituality around the world. Discover where this search has taken some of the people featured in “Belief” by clicking on the red dots on the map.

“My confidence comes from knowing that there is a force, a power greater than myself that I am a part of, and is also a part of me. I call that presence God,” Oprah Winfrey says in “Belief,” her groundbreaking week-long documentary television series about faith and spiritual practices around the world, airing on seven consecutive nights beginning Sunday, Oct. 18, through Saturday, Oct. 24, at 8 p.m. ET/PT, on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network.

A provocative and inspiring exploration of our common search for answers to life’s most enduring questions — Why do we exist? What do our lives mean? Are we part of a divine plan? — “Belief” takes viewers around the globe to bring them faith and spirituality’s most intimate stories and breathtaking visual imagery.

o film the series, Winfrey’s team visited six continents and 33 sacred sites, logged more than 150,000 miles of air travel, worked with 26 local crews, and filmed more than 800 hours of footage to convey 28 deeply illuminating stories, spanning language and locale, culture and faith.

Three years in the making, the project’s goal is to illuminate the best of religion and culture around the world, bridge divides and seek out the common humanity at the heart of diverse faiths.

“This truly has been my heart’s work, to be able to share stories like these that reflect our world and explore humankind’s ongoing search to connect with something greater than ourselves,” she says.

Viewers will likely see their own yearnings reflected in 30-year-old IT consultant Reshma Thakkar’s search for meaning, which took her from her Chicago home to India for the Hindu festival Kumbh Mela, or in evangelical Christian college student Cha Cha’s declaration that, following a devastating trauma, she was “expecting God to take what’s broken and make it beautiful again.”

It’s hard not to be moved by 65-year-old Australian doctor John Davie’s hope that, by reconnecting with his Catholic beliefs along the Way of St. James, he would find his way back to himself and his family. Equally moving is professional skateboarder Jordan Richter’s journey of faith. He embarks on the Hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, to complete one of the five pillars of his faith hoping to make peace with his past by surrendering to the love of Allah.

“We made a very conscious decision to use people's stories as a divining rod for all of us to see the divine within the experience and within each other. Because I learned from all those years on ‘The Oprah Show’ that it is our stories that connect us,” Winfrey says. “It is our stories that allow us to hold up the mirror that looks like somebody else's life, but we actually get to see ourselves.”

They may see their own capacity to love unconditionally in the unswerving dedication of evangelical Christian Larissa Murphy to her husband Ian, who suffered a traumatic brain injury not long after they met, and their own challenges coping with loss in the struggles of Howard Fallon and his daughter Shane, who found a path forward in the Burning Man festival’s shared rituals.

“Regardless of our politics and religions and all the other things that sometimes divide us,” NASA astronaut Jeff Hoffman says in “Belief,” recalling his thoughts as he gazed at Earth from space for the first time, “on a cosmic scale, we’re all in the same boat.”

Hoffman’s sentiment is at the heart of this series, and Winfrey is eager for viewers to take the journey themselves.

“All of the differences that cause us to fear each other and to fight each other, ignore each other, hate each other; all of those differences are minor compared to the faith, belief, and strength and love that comes when we recognize and see our stories in each other,” she says. “That's what I believe.”

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.