• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opticians in Santiago đź‘“

F

Former member 59618

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'm considering buying lenses and frames (out of pocket, recent prescription) in Santiago after I finish my camino, as opposed to purchasing in the states pre-camino, then bringing over in luggage. Can anyone offer up info re cost difference on Spain vs. US, and if they've had experience with any opticians in Santiago?
đź‘“

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've only used an optician in Spain once, to fix a pair of glasses that had broken. They did a great job and charged next to nothing.

No experience with filling prescriptions, but like @dick bird, I’ve been in the occasional optician’s store for repairs, and I’ve never been charged a thing. I don’t know if the “prescription-writing language” is the same in your country and in Spain, but that is one thing to check on.

It always takes me several weeks to get my new glasses in the states, so I assume you are going to be in Santiago long enough to make sure you get your glasses and lenses before your flight.

I wouldn’t hesitate at all about quality, and would be interested to hear about the price differential. My guess is that they would be more expensive in Spain, especially if your home country alternative has all the online cheaper alternatives for frames that are all over the internet in the US and are high quality.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too have found the service of Spanish opticians extraordinary.

November 2012 while walking quickly mid morning/ mid stride my glasses frame suddenly broke but not the lens which both fell onto the path.

Upon arrival at Santo Domingo de la Calzada the Santos hospitalero kindly took me to a nearby optician. A new frame had to be found to refit the lens.

I spent the next 2 days looking VERY closely at handsome sculpture within the cathedral. Eventually all was finally and finely refitted. ...However on future caminos I always carried a spare pair.

Yes, three cheers for Spanish opticians. My friend lost one of the lenses out of her glasses on the way over from Australia, it fell out somehow. On arrival in Madrid we hunted around and found an optician who was able to supply a lens with the right magnification and size to fit my friend's frames. It took a couple of hours only. Charge was very reasonable indeed.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'm considering buying lenses and frames (out of pocket, recent prescription) in Santiago after I finish my camino, as opposed to purchasing in the states pre-camino, then bringing over in luggage. Can anyone offer up info re cost difference on Spain vs. US, and if they've had experience with any opticians in Santiago?
đź‘“

In 2007 I lost my prescription glasses a week or so out of Santiago. I went to an optician and got new prescription glasses for probably half the price I would have paid in Australia - really good multifocals in very up to date frames. They took a week to arrive in which time I walked to Finistere.
So - that was a while ago 🤣🤣 but I suspect it would still be cheaper. An internet search should give you more current info.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2007 I lost my prescription glasses a week or so out of Santiago. I went to an optician and got new prescription glasses for probably half the price I would have paid in Australia - really good multifocals in very up to date frames. They took a week to arrive in which time I walked to Finistere.
So - that was a while ago 🤣🤣 but I suspect it would still be cheaper. An internet search should give you more current info.

Thanks so much for this. I have a current prescription, and suspect the price for frames would be cheaper than what I might pay in the U.S.

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.