A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Optimal time of year for this camino

frida1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
I have done the Camino Frances and the Portuguese from Lisbon. I'm strongly considering doing the Arles camino in 2017. I'm thinking of spring. Since I started my Frances is Pamplona, I really want to walk over the Pyrenees this time, so would like to arrive there at a time of year they are very likely to be passable. I'm also interested in walking at times that are statistically likely to be less rainy. I know weather is variable, but can anyone offer opinion or advice on what would be a reasonable starting time in April or May, if I plan to start in Montpellier and complete the walk in about 34-37 days? Thanks for any replies.

Advertisment

TaijiPilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017)
I have done the Camino Frances and the Portuguese from Lisbon. I'm strongly considering doing the Arles camino in 2017. I'm thinking of spring. Since I started my Frances is Pamplona, I really want to walk over the Pyrenees this time, so would like to arrive there at a time of year they are very likely to be passable. I'm also interested in walking at times that are statistically likely to be less rainy. I know weather is variable, but can anyone offer opinion or advice on what would be a reasonable starting time in April or May, if I plan to start in Montpellier and complete the walk in about 34-37 days? Thanks for any replies.
I am also becoming interested in the Arles route, but I would probably do sections over time. Looking forward to replies to your post.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Some parts of that route are quite muddy, so I'd suggest starting in mid to late May or later, for dry mud instead of wet.

Rain itself isn't really much of a problem once you're used to it, even heavy rain, provided there's not so much of it over several days that it completely soaks the topsoil.

frida1

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for the reply. My main concern with rain is walking through deep and heavy mud. On the other hand, walking in very high temperatures is also difficult.

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Has anyone walked this route starting in August? Have walked from Le Puy starting at this time and the weather was perfect. Also, meant getting into Santiago was early November, so not too cold.

Advertisment

Kanga

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid.
We walked part of it in May. The weather was perfect.

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-18
Has anyone walked this route starting in August?
The weather in July and August 2017 was unseasonably hot (global warming is a thing). A late August start would get you into cooler weather sooner.

frida1

Camino(s) past & future
I see a new reply to this. We started this Camino April 29 and finished around June 1 in Puente. the first week or so was wet and cool, temps around 55 Fahrenheit. Those days through Haute Langedoc were fairly tough on some slippery rough trails with lots of ascent and descent. In the Pyrenees we had beautiful weather and the smooth gradual trail was wonderful.

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Aussie Camino 2016
Thanks for your replies everyone. We want to do the Robert Louis Stevenson walk first, then start from Arles. We walked from Le Puy the first time in April and the second time in August. When we started in April it was rainy and muddy. August was definitely better, so was thinking we could maybe do the RLS track halfway through August and would then be starting the Arles route at the end of August.

Do many French people walk the Arles route? Just wondering if it is as busy as the Le Puy route.

Kanga

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid.
No. Not until after Toulouse, when it became a little busier. Very few "through" pilgrims. It was in 2011 and things may have changed. Also we detoured a fair bit.

frida1

Camino(s) past & future
We met maybe 10 pilgrims in France; only one or two were going to Puente la Reina or beyond. Most were French or Belgian. After the Pyrenees, we met 6-8 more, still most were French-speaking, a couple Spaniards. We met only 3 other Americans.

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Aussie Camino 2016
Thank you everyone. Sounds wonderful to not have to worry about accommodation due to numbers of pilgrims. August/ September maybe a good time to go.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.0%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.6%
  • June