• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Options for 6 more days after Irun to Bilbao

E0in

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino Del Norte (2020)
Hi all,

I'm walking Irun to Bilbao in April and really looking forward to it.

I might have an extra six days to play with after arriving in Bilbao, I plan on going with the flow at the time but I was wondering: What options would people throw in to the mix? Do a few days of another Camino? Continue the Norte? Go to Sarria and finish the CF? Lie on the beach?

Open to ideas!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My idea is not very original, but I would just suggest to keep it simple and just keep on walking the Norte. You will probably get to around Santander, which makes for a pleasant walk, including the opportunity to stay in the albergue at Guemes, cross the rather special bridge at Portulagete, lie on beaches, eat more seafood, etc etc. Happy planning!

Hi all,

I might have an extra six days to play with after arriving in Bilbao, I plan on going with the flow at the time but I was wondering: What options would people throw in to the mix? Do a few days of another Camino? Continue the Norte? Go to Sarria and finish the CF? Lie on the beach?

Open to ideas!
Those all sound like great ideas!
If you continue on the Norte, in 6 days you can easily reach Santander.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Marc S. is that special bridge the Puente Colgante? We will be there in March and don't want to miss any highlights. Thanks!

@Marc S. is that special bridge the Puente Colgante?

Yes, it is indeed. Some people do not like to walk from Bilbao to Portulagete, as it is a bit industrial, but I found the bridge crossing a nice reward.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After one additional stage you may reach Pobeña (round about 22 km from Bilbao) with a nice beach. Tomorrow at 9:00 CET I will publish an article about that in my blog. With Güemes (a legendary albuerge) and Santillana del Mar (beautiful town, a tourist magnet, I would recommend to stay in the convention) on your last day you would reach two highlights of the Camino de la Costa.

Santillana del Mar, perhaps too much of a Disneyland for my taste, has the admirable Santander Diocesan Museum, which contains wonderful treasures of the Romanesque and mediaeval periods. In the 1970s and 1980s, as vans drove up to parish churches to take their artwork off to dealers, it was decided to move them to central places where they could be restored and protected from this thievery. The diocesan museum is worth a stop and gives us an insight into the vigour of life and religion in northern Spain of the past. If you don't get that far, another time.

Great insights, thank you all!

I'm definitely coming round to the idea of continuing the Norte - I had expected it to perhaps be an anti-climax after the Irun-Bilbao stretch but that clearly isn't a given.

As I said, I'll go with the flow at the time but it's great to have these options.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

Open to ideas!
Definitely stay on the Norte. You have already walked the toughest part and are acclimated to all the ups and downs. It is still a beautiful camino with spectacular views and you can definitely make it to Santander in 6 days. You even have time if you want to take a rest day in a really beautiful city with that fantastic Guggenheim Museum. I took a rest day to see it but alas I arrived Sunday night. When I woke up and went to the Museum I found that Mondays the museum as well as just about everything else is closed. I still had a really relaxing day.

Yes, it is indeed. Some people do not like to walk from Bilbao to Portulagete, as it is a bit industrial, but I found the bridge crossing a nice reward.

You can avoid the industrial areas between Bilbao and Portugalete by crossing to the other (right) side of the river and just walk along the river all the way....

Here's another opinion. I'm walking the same 7 days and spending an extra day in Bilbao. My first idea was to take transportation to the start of the Primativo and walk to Santiago.
But I miss the Francis and the familiar places so I was going to take transportation to Burgos, it's a short bus ride, and walk towards Santiago. Don't laugh but my final plan is to fly to Santiago and walk the route backwards.
I am doing this because I have a spanish friend in Pamplona that I I'm going to meet and we are going to walk most of the Camino Baztan together at the end of my trip.
My whole plan saves me a 8 hour
bus or train trip back to Pamplona.
Not sure if any of this has anything to do with your situation but just letting you know there are lots of options to consider. But mostly I answered because I love talking about, planning and dreaming about the Camino.
Have a good trip. 😁

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can avoid the industrial areas between Bilbao and Portugalete by crossing to the other (right) side of the river and just walk along the river all the way....
That's the way that I went, and it's 4 km shorter.

Yes continue on from Bilbao. My favourite part was from Bilbao to Santander. Castro urdiales a favourite town...and then amazing views before Laredo.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back