• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Options for spare days on the Ingles

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Dear All

I'm flying into La Coruna on Wednesday (7th Sept) to do the Camino Ingles. I fly back, also from La Coruna, on Friday 16th.

My only real aim is to do the Ferrol-SDC route, however as that only takes 5 days or so I may find myself with the time and inclination to walk for another couple of days.

I could walk on towards Finisterre (though not the whole way), which I didn't do when I did the Camino Frances earlier this year. However, it may also possible to walk back along part of the Ingles to La Coruna. I'd like to spend a day in Santiago to attend the pilgrim service etc, so I wouldn't have time to walk the whole way back, but perhaps I could do the branch from La Coruna to Bruma in reverse. I have 3 questions really;

1) Which of the two routes would you recommend?
2) Are there buses that would make walking back along the Ingles possible from a starting point somewhere along the way?
3) How difficult is it to walk a Camino in reverse? I imagine it's easier on the Frances where you have a steady stream of peregrinos walking towards you.

Grateful for any advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola. You have lots of different options I think.

1 - Having walked from Ferrol to Santiago you could then get a bus or train back to A Coruna and walk for one day down to Bruma (Meson do Vento) and get the bus from there in the evening to Santiago.

2 - You could walk out the Camino Frances to say Lavacolla and back - a nice 20 kms or so day walk.

3 - You could do the 20 min jounrey on the train to Padron on the Portugese route and walk in the final stage.

4 - You could get the bus to Ponte Ulla and walk the final stage in of the Via de la Plata.

Lots of choices. Let us know what you decide.

John

I would most certainly not attempt to walk A Coruna to Bruma in reverse.

One or two places were bad enough walking the right way.

Taking the bus to AC is slower but the bus station is on the Camino whereas the train station is not. I had a long wait for a taxi to the church of Santiago that is the starting point and it was expensive as well.

You can get a bus from Meson back to A Coruna for your flight back.

You could do A Coruna to Bruma over two days as I believe that the route has been modified since I walked in 2009 and there area couple of hostals on that route. The CSJ guide to the Inglés is available as a download from their website.

Walking to Finisterre is a three day walk as you probably know, though you could take the option to walk to Muxia which is the same.

I think you have to decide how much time you want to spend in SDC and then see what time you have left and make your plans accordingly.

If you want walking instructions of how to get from the bus station to the church of santiago just ask. I have an A Coruna map to hand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that walking the AC leg of the Inglés is better than doing part of the Finisterre walk.

a. It completes the Ingles

b. I think you should leave getting to Finisterre till a time when you can walk all the way.

I have done walked both AC to HdB and SDC to F and that is what I would do.

I would only go to Finisterre if I got to SDC earlier than expected and had three full days of walking plus one day to return from Finisterre to AC. One website gives a run down on numerous buses that run from F to AC, but no operator. The tourist office in Rua de Vilar, SDC would probably be able to produce a timetable and operator for you. The buses leave almost outside the albergue.

Thank you both very much.

I was very much in 2 minds about walking part of the way to Finisterre - as you say it's better to set aside the time to do it properly. I'm also hoping to do the Portugues next year, so I'd rather leave that route untouched for the moment.

Going back to La Coruna sounds like the sensible option and walking the other leg of the Ingles from there (in the right direction!). I kind of liked the idea of walking back towards the sea, but as it's not practical I won't.

If push comes to shove I'll just do as John suggested and do the last couple of hours of the Frances again. Easy to get to Lavacolla on the bus and that's where I started my final (triumphant) leg into Santiago last time, so it would be nice to revisit.

Thanks again! Keith.

Tyrrek,
Coruna to Hospital de Bruma\Meson do Vento is approx 35km with a steep ascent towards the end of the stage. The first 10 km are pretty urban walking but with good views over Coruna and the coastline. Suburbs aside it is still a really nice stage and a nice way to fully complete the Ingles.
Regards
Mig

Keith,

if you walk the Coruna to Bruma leg, let me know how you get on - I'll be walking it in October,

thanks,

Andy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Mig, and Andy I will post on here what I did in the end (if anything!).

This may be a stupid question, but are Hospital de Bruma\Meson do Vento the same place? I'm struggling to find HdB on Google Maps. Is it just the Castellano/Gallego names? You can tell this Camino has been 'planned' in a hurry...!

Hi
given the same choice I would catch the bus to Finisterre and walk the 30k to Muxia,get a stamp halfway stay in the Albergue there and catch the bus to Acoruna in the morning 7am approx.
Ian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't know if you intend to stop at the albergue at Mino but if you do it looks like a long stretch of golden beach is just down from the albergue. (ie turn left out of the front gate as opposed to right which takes you back on the Camino.)

If you check on Google earth you will see what I mean. If the weather is good you might like to check it out.

Hmm. Interesting option Ian. I will definitely consider that. Thanks.

Thanks Methodist Pilgrim, I will. I find the sea fascinating. The danger is that I'll spend so much time looking at it that I'll end up struggling to get to Santiago in time never mind anywhere else! Not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your in trouble. Much of the Ferrol to Nede route and then out of Nede is along or near the coast.

Johnnie Walker's guide says that out of Ferrol you can

Another slightly longer but much more scenic route is to follow the Avenida do Mar keeping the sea to your right hand side all of the way to the end. At points you can move down to walk closer to the sea moving back up later. Also, in 2008 there was a public toilet on this stretch.

I found that after you pass the church it is possible to go down a slipway and walk along the beach, but it a lengthy stretch and with boots, hard work. It was a blazing hot June day and most of the ladies on the beach were topless. :shock:

You cannot miss the slipway up back to the road. The motorway underpass is not too far after rejoining the path.

I enjoyed walking along the beach and that had nothing to do with the ladies; I too love the sand and the sea.

Actually Tyrrek I am grateful for this thread as I want to re-walk the Inglés.

I think next time I will fly Clickair into A Coruna and set off from there to HdB. If I have time I will walk to SDC, if not I will take the bus from Meson (when you come to a left turn and it says in yellow paint on the road, HdB albergue, just keep on the main road to Meson which you can clearly see in the near distance) to Ferrol- even if I have to go via SDC.

Then do Ferrol to SDC. This seems to make some sort of logical sense as I will be starting where I land. The biggest problem is that it may not be possible to collect a sello from the Church of Santiago because Mass is not till 12.00 noon and the next is 8.00pm (Well was in 2009). However since the route does not grant a Compostella that can be lived with.

I will then fly back to Stanstead with Ryanair.

Thank you Methodist Pilgrim. Very useful info as always. Unfortunately, with both the fascination of the sea and topless women on the beach it's practically certain that I'll miss the slipway back to the road. Worse things happen...at sea...I suppose.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola

The "official" route out of Ferrol now passes along the seafront. The other route by road has fallen into disuse. Last time I was there I did indeed go down and walk along the sand although the path also passes close to the sea. There are further views of the sea and estuary during this stage. Sights other than sea views are not guaranteed.

Some care is needed planning arrival times at Meson do Vernto/Hospital de Bruma if you want to catch a bus back to Coruna:

Viaje de idaLunes 05/09/2011
Salida Trayecto Llegada DuraciĂłn
07:20 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 08:0000h 40min
08:50 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 09:3000h 40min
09:50 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 10:3000h 40min
11:50 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 12:3000h 40min
13:20 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 14:0000h 40min
14:50 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 15:3000h 40min
16:20 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 17:0000h 40min
18:50 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 19:3000h 40min
20:20 Meson Do Vento - Coruña (A) 21:0000h 40min

Also if you are thinking of the Muxia - Coruna option be aware there are only two buses per day:

http://www.coruna-ya.com/transporte-int ... index.html

Buen Camino

John

from Maricristina
When we walked C.I. in 2004 we began in A Coruna because it was the starting point for English pilgrims. We walked to Bruma then up to the main road to go back,by bus, and begin again on the Ferrol "leg". I have advocated this on the forum before. I do not however recommend walking out of A Coruna (dismal) but taking the bus out to the Al Campo supermarket and walking from there. If you go to the church of Santiago in A.C. please pray for "Mac" (Barry McGinley Jones) who was president of the Amigos there. He was a good friend to pilgrims and had the granite plaques put up in 2004, and unveiled by me and my husband, "Dedicated to the pilgrims who visit this site on their way to Saint James of Compostela."

marichristina. picked up about Barry. Thank you for telling us.

Another thought.

Fly in to AC. Start from there. Walk to HdB then on to SigĂĽeiro, breaking where necessary.

From Sigueiro to SDC is about 17km. In the SDC city park you pass
the statue of Pablo Iglesias after whom the park in named and using the pedestrian crossings cross to the diagonal opposite of where you are now to the RĂşa da Pastoriza.

Go over the roundabout down the Rua de Anxel Casal and in 5 minutes you will be at Santiago bus station.

Take a bus to Ferrol. You could then either stay the night in Ferrol or preferably walk the 11km to the Nede albergue.

Nede to Mino is 27km, which would make a good day's walking. Then continue as suits you.

I think this would "save" you a day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great suggestions and advice. Thank you.

Maricristina your request for Barry is noted and I will do that in the church, along the Way or both.

I think I'll do the Ferrol leg first. I feel that in some ways I rushed my last Camino and want to feel no time pressure on this one, hence the length of time I gave myself to complete it. I would certainly like to walk at least part of the AC stretch as well if possible, though.

Funny, but I don't really mind the industrial areas too much. Yes, it's much nicer walking in the countryside than walking into Burgos, for example, but I think the contrast helps to reflect on certain things.

Dear All

Unfortunately my 'spare days' didn't materialise due to a stomach bug that I got as I left the UK. I spent the first day in Ferrol trying to recover. The first 25km to Pontedueme in my weakened state nearly killed me, so I did 2 short days thereafter, effectively losing the other of my spare days. After that I could eat properly etc and was up for the stage to Bruma, which was just as well, because that hill after Bar Julia (closed) was a bit of a challenge! Arrived in Santiago on Wednesday, service on Thursday and home on Friday.

I only really passed through La Coruna on the way to/from the airport, however Mac was prayed for along the way and in the Cathedral in Santiago.

Lovely route, and a very different experience from the Frances.

Tyrrek: So sorry to hear about the stomach bug. I got one of those on my big camino last year, right at the start of the Camino Invierno. I kept walking, but effectively missed out on about four entire days of camino -- my memory of that part of the trail was extremely sketchy.

Seeing as I was writing a guide to said path, it was important I go back and walk those days again. And when I did? WOW. They were so much more beautiful, varied, and EASIER than I had remembered! That virus robbed me at first, but I got mine back when I returned to "redeem the days." I hope you will do the same someday on the Ingles. It is such a worthwhile walk, it would be a shame to let your memory of it be so shaded by illness.

Glad you are better!
Rebekah

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Rebekah. All is well in the stomach department now, thank goodness.

Before leaving, I planned to focus my prayers/meditations on several friends who are very expectant mothers. However people I met along the way broadened that out to those who have lost children due to accident or illness. There are some really lovely people with tragic stories who find the Camino a comfort in some way. It's pretty humbling when I was complaining about a stomach bug.

We are back from walking the Camino de Invierno and wish you a "bug-free" next camino. Thank you for remembering Mac he was a great man!
Maricristina

Lots of good options have been presented. If it were me, I would very much consider going on to Finisterre.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back