• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Options please for Santiago to Madrid travel in April

Steeltown Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Tunnel Le Puy Via De Plata Ingles Primitivo Norte Frances Portuguese Fisterra Muxia hospitalero
Hello, I'll be finishing Via De Plata in mid April. I have a flight home on April 19th, flying out from Santiago. The flight leaves at 12:40. What are my travel/time options for leaving Santiago to arrive in good time to catch that flight. There is a Ryanair flight that works but I don't feel like paying the heavy surcharge for a small carry on guitar which fits (free) in the overhead bins on every plane I've been in. Any info appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm guessing that it's too late to check about adding the flight from Santiago to Madrid onto your international ticket. I always fly in and out of Madrid on the international part, and I have found for the last few years that flying from Madrid to starting point at the beginning and then at the end flying from Santiago to Madrid and on home, all on one ticket, is not much more expensive than just flying from the US to Madrid and back. But if you already have your plane ticket, it's probably non-refundable. Just keep it in mind for you next camino. ;)

That leaves you with overnight bus, which arrives at T4 (the new Barajas terminal) at 7 am. Leaves Santiago at 9:30 pm and costs 47 euros. There are day buses, but it sounds like you don't want to spend a night in Madrid, just arrive and get on the plane.

There is also an overnight train, leaves Santiago around 10:30 pm and gets to Madrid at 8 in the morning if it's on time (I've had a few late arrivals). Train prices vary dramatically depending on fare specials and on how far in advance you buy it. From the Chamartin train station to the airport it's a very quick trip (about 12 minutes) to the airport, so you should also be able to make it that way.

If you're flying out of T1,2, or 3, you'll have to take an intra-airport bus that makes the rounds among all the terminals. Iberia and its partners use T4, the rest of the airlines use the others.

The overnight train from Santiago is an excellent option. The train station is a short walk from the cathedral. After my arrival, I attended the pilgrim's mass and then walked to the train station and bought a train ticket for that night. The sleeper compartment was about $70 USD. You'll arrive at Chamartin train station in Madrid and can easily catch another train from there to Madrid Barajas airport (T4).

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm guessing that it's too late to check about adding the flight from Santiago to Madrid onto your international ticket. I always fly in and out of Madrid on the international part, and I have found for the last few years that flying from Madrid to starting point at the beginning and then at the end flying from Santiago to Madrid and on home, all on one ticket, is not much more expensive than just flying from the US to Madrid and back. But if you already have your plane ticket, it's probably non-refundable. Just keep it in mind for you next camino. ;)

That leaves you with overnight bus, which arrives at T4 (the new Barajas terminal) at 7 am. Leaves Santiago at 9:30 pm and costs 47 euros. There are day buses, but it sounds like you don't want to spend a night in Madrid, just arrive and get on the plane.

There is also an overnight train, leaves Santiago around 10:30 pm and gets to Madrid at 8 in the morning if it's on time (I've had a few late arrivals). Train prices vary dramatically depending on fare specials and on how far in advance you buy it. From the Chamartin train station to the airport it's a very quick trip (about 12 minutes) to the airport, so you should also be able to make it that way.

If you're flying out of T1,2, or 3, you'll have to take an intra-airport bus that makes the rounds among all the terminals. Iberia and its partners use T4, the rest of the airlines use the others.
Thanks very much Peregrina2000-You're bang on with :"but it sounds like you don't want to spend a night in Madrid, just arrive and get on the plane." I'll probably opt for the bus as I know where the station is and it worked well for me last year (to Bilbao). My flight from Madrid is with Lufthansa but the terminal is not specified.,.. So it's going to be terminal...?

The overnight train from Santiago is an excellent option. The train station is a short walk from the cathedral. After my arrival, I attended the pilgrim's mass and then walked to the train station and bought a train ticket for that night. The sleeper compartment was about $70 USD. You'll arrive at Chamartin train station in Madrid and can easily catch another train from there to Madrid Barajas airport (T4).

Buen Camino!
I may in fact take the train, but it looks like I'm covered one way or another. I did not know the train station was so close though. Thanks very much.

The train station is in fact closer than the bus station. I did the overnight bus last summer as Alsa offered me a discount but doubt that I would do it again. Sleeping is out if the question. The bus make several stops and lights go on off, on off. Well I guess you get the picture.
As Laurie mentioned Renfe's prices vary depending on the seat or bed. I took the train in December and found it quite comfortable but this was during the day.
Easiest option (and sometimes cheapest) is Ryan Air but their flights don't always jive with connection in Madrid.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The train station is in fact closer than the bus station. I did the overnight bus last summer as Alsa offered me a discount but doubt that I would do it again. Sleeping is out if the question. The bus make several stops and lights go on off, on off. Well I guess you get the picture.
As Laurie mentioned Renfe's prices vary depending on the seat or bed. I took the train in December and found it quite comfortable but this was during the day.
Easiest option (and sometimes cheapest) is Ryan Air but their flights don't always jive with connection in Madrid.
THank Ltfit. I will check out the train. I wont sleep on either one. The overnighters wont be filled so maybe l'I'll
just make up my mind between cervezas. :)

Just one little point -- though it's true that the Chamartin train station is much closer to the airport than the Mendez Alvaro bus station way down in southern Madrid, the bus stops right at the airport, so it would also be very convenient. As I read the schedules on Movelia.es the bus goes first to the bus station, then has a 45 minute ride to the airport. So though it may be a long trip, you don't have to move and it gets you into the airport at 7 am.

Train gets you into Madrid at 8 am and then allow 20-30 minutes to get the train to airport. But in either case you're well covered, since your flight doesn't leave till afternoon.

One other tidbit on the trains. If you are over 60, you can buy a special card for 5 euros. Good for a year, you get 40% off regular price on M- Th, 25% off F, Sat and Sun. This card is good on all trains in Spain, including the Cercanias (commuter) lines, which exist in many cities.

Lufthansa is not an Iberia partner, so you will be going in and out of one of the other terminals. That just means you'll have to take the airport bus from one terminal to another, not a big deal. They are very frequent.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back