• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orange sim at Madrid airport

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We got one of those for our Camino Lebaniego this year, Ivar. Worked perfectly.
At the airport shop, there were more options than the ones in the poster. We got one that had Data and local+international calls and had no worries during our entire stay :)

I am in Madrid today and saw this. Might be of interest for some. See website adress towards the bottom

View attachment 61187
Thanks Ivar. I am bookmarking this page. The website showed that this is good for 28 days only. I will be walking longer than that. I have always used Orange because the service is good and it is easy to recharge my card along the way. I have always bought the $20 Euro plan for 15 GB and 80minutes of national calling. I only call albergues to check if they are open, especially this year as I start in November. Now to my long winded question. Going on the website you recommended it states you can recharge but I am not sure if there are locations along the way or if you can only recharge in Madrid. Do you know? If not thanks anyway and I will email them to try to find out. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are plenty of Orange (and other providers) tiendas in all sizeable towns where you can recharge your SIM card account.
In Irun I bought my SIM card in Tabacco. On Levante I recharged my SIM in a candy shop. In Zamora I recharged SIM in a bookstore. Just few examples ;)

There are plenty of Orange (and other providers) tiendas in all sizeable towns where you can recharge your SIM card account.
In Irun I bought my SIM card in Tabacco. On Levante I recharged my SIM in a candy shop. In Zamora I recharged SIM in a bookstore. Just few examples ;)
Yes, look for the “orange” sticker at the check out counter. Many smaller shops offer this service.

Also keep in mind that pre-paid SIM cards in Spain work for a year after the last top-up. So you might use it next year if you know exactly when you did it and are returning in that time frame. Otherwise you can throw it away. Or maybe donate it. In Spain of course :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also keep in mind that pre-paid SIM cards in Spain work for a year after the last top-up. So you might use it next year if you know exactly when you did it and are returning in that time frame. Otherwise you can throw it away. Or maybe donate it. In Spain of course :D
Are you sure it's a year? I thought it was six months.

Are you sure it's a year? I thought it was six months.
Last year (and all the years before) it was 1 year. I don't remember exactly in which year I used it consecutive. I think it was 2015. Maybe that changed???

Last year (and all the years before) it was 1 year. I don't remember exactly in which year I used it consecutive. I think it was 2015. Maybe that changed???
We're both right. :) It depends on the company:

Vodafone and Movistar, 6 months
Orange, 12 months
Other companies are also listed in the article.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We're both right. :) It depends on the company:

Vodafone and Movistar, 6 months
Orange, 12 months
Other companies are also listed in the article.
Hahahaha, I was always (except last year) using Orange SIM. For me that's one reason more to choose Orange if I would plan to return the same or next year.
But OTOH I have my European-no-roaming-fee-SIM-card so I don't really have to worry about that ;)

The Preguntas area of the Orange web site which is joined through the link provided by @ivar offers this information about the time for which a sim card will be valid:
Tiene una validez de 6 meses a partir de la activación de la tarjeta sim o la última recarga realizada. Finalizado el plazo de estos 6 meses sin haber realizado alguna recarga, tu tarjeta quedará desactivada y perderás el número de teléfono. Para evitar la desactivación de la tarjeta, es necesario que la recargues al menos una vez dentro de este plazo y los 6 meses contaráan de nuevo a partir de esta última recarga.
I take this to mean that the sim card is valid six months from the most recent recharge date.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.