• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ordering Pilgrim Passport for United States

jimb01930

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Pamplona (Sept - Oct 2012)
Caminho Portugal from Lisbon (Aug-Sept 2013)
European Peace Walk - Vienna, AU to Trieste, IT (2014)
Via Fracigena - Sienna to Rome (2015)
Basically, I blew it. I ordered our passports from this site https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago on April 8 figuring three weeks would be long enough to allow delivery. The passports were sent on April 11 but did not arrive on time for us as we leave tomorrow April 30. The American Pilgrim site http://www.americanpilgrims.org/credential-request takes 5 weeks. So if you are ordering, order well in advance.

Hopefully we will be able to get passports in Pamplona at the albergue.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Last June I got my credencial in at the Municipal Albergue in Pamplona. If they have run out, you can also get one at the Cathedral, not far from the albergue. All will be well.

It is a good idea to order credentials with plenty of lead time.

However the delivery times from Spain..(or California) are subject to the whims of the postal services.
Order early and avoid disappointment and stress.

For those who are starting in St. Jean the credential is available in the Pilgrim Office.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There really is no reason to order ahead, imo
Sure there is.

It allows those of us with Camino Gram Obsessive Disorder to go on training hikes with every last gram accounted for! You never know when the lack of proper fitness due to the missing weight of the credential will cause issues. I even include a small, extra sheet of paper to compensate for the weight of the ink from the sellos. One can never be too careful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leaving for our 5th Camino today. There actually is a couple of reasons for Americans to get credentials in advance. 1. We never seem to know what is going to open and when. For example, is May 1st a big holiday in Spain? I dunno. Will offices be open on Monday? and so on. But the bigger reason for me is 2. There is a 6 hour difference in time from home to Spain . For some Americans the difference can be 10 hours. On the first couple of days on Camino I just want to walk, eat, and sleep. Anything else that requires be at this place at that time to do this may be beyond my befuddled thinking until I get a few nights' sleep.

If you still have a credencial from a past Camino just bring it and keep using it or at least until you bump into one at an albergue or church.

However the delivery times from Spain..(or California) are subject to the whims of the postal services.
As an experiment I decided to mail my postcards all from the same tiny box in tiny Boadilla del Camino on April 9. It wasn't picked up until Monday April 11 probably. I mailed 3 cards, 1 to Denver that took a week, 1 to a friend here at home (upper left USA) that took 8 days and 1 to another friend that live 5 blocks from friend #1 - hers took 2 weeks. Go figure. I'd say that is great service!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All is well. We were able to get credentials at the Jesus y Marie Alburgue in Pamplona.

Thank you for this post. I got annoyed when the American Pilgrims site told me I had to wait until about 6 weeks before my departure date. I'm always way too busy to keep track of stuff like that so I ordered one from the Society of St James in the UK and received it in about a week. Done!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back