• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Organic Boxed Wine from Jumilla Wine District

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
I was very surprised to see this boxed wine from Spain, in our small little liquor store in Pueblo, Colorado! Didn't know if this type of thing was readily available elsewhere in the USA. Not only is it boxed, but it is organic. It is from Jumilla, which I had to look up, that is in the SE area of Spain. Maybe not a "camino" favorite, but how much longer before we see Galician and Asturian wines in boxes in the USA? BTW the wine is quite tasty! I think I'll get it again. Click here to see more info about this region/grape.

20211218_080018.jpg20211218_081520.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was very surprised to see this boxed wine from Spain, in our small little liquor store in Pueblo, Colorado! Didn't know if this type of thing was readily available elsewhere in the USA. Not only is it boxed, but it is organic. It is from Jumilla, which I had to look up, that is in the SE area of Spain. Maybe not a "camino" favorite, but how much longer before we see Galician and Asturian wines in boxes in the USA? BTW the wine is quite tasty! I think I'll get it again. Click here to see more info about this region/grape.

View attachment 115047View attachment 115049

Aha the Monastrell aka Mourvèdre! A very old grape variety.
I only drank Jumilla rosé wine till now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I buy a wine from Jumilla region named Camino de Seda,it's one of my favourites.

The only Spanish wine my local grocery store sells in my small Illinois town is Tempranillo. It's very good, but I tend to mainly purchase it when bringing it to an annual Camino Mini-reunion of friends.

EDIT- I now see the thread is about organic Spanish boxed wine, oops!

Last edited:
The only Spanish wine my local grocery store sells in my small Illinois town is Tempranillo. It's very good, but I tend to mainly purchase it when bringing it to an annual Camino Mini-reunion of friends.
Many tempranillos are available in my town, just not in a box. I buy them regularly. The surprise was the boxed version and the type of wine which I had never heard of.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It took me a day but I've finally remembered talking about this boxed wine with a friend five years ago. He then sent an email about it which I quote below (including where to get the boxed wine in the Boston area -- we haven't yet done so yet though):
Hi Peg & Rick!

Attached is some information about the Spanish wine which I was telling you about at Ralph's 4th-of-July party yesterday.

It is a "monastrell" packaged under the Shania name by the Gil Family of Spain in the Denominacion de Origen of Jumilla:

I purchased it at Gary's Liquors in the Chestnut Hill Village shopping center for $14.99 for a 3-liter box.

Prior to spotting this on the shelf at Gary's, I had never heard of the "monastrell" grape. According to the attached pdf:

Monastrell is grown in several parts of Spain and in France. While its true origin is not known, it first became established in Cataluña where it took on the names Mourvèdre (after Muviedro, the Moorish name for the city of Sagunto, near Valencia) and Mataró (after Mataró in Cataluña). In Cataluña the grape was grown by monasteries, leading to the name Monastrell (from the Latin monasteriellu) in that region. From Spain the grape made its way to Mediterranean France where it became a principal blending component of Châteauneuf-du-Pape as well as acquiring fame on its own in Bandol. Today, Monastrell is the 5th most popular varietal in Spain in terms of acreage planted.

IMHO, this wine is a real bargain. And Spain's Gil family who make this wine in Jumilla have been very creative in "bottling" it in a box so that one can have a glass and keep the rest of the container without harm for several weeks. (As the mylar bag inside the box collapses, air does not enter and hence the wine does not oxydize or lose its volatile components.)

I believe it is widely distributed and you should be able to find it nearby.

I'm including the PDF but I looked for it online first. Some of the information is included on the following webpage but that is missing some information but contains other info.

Attachments

• Shania-Jumilla-Monastrell.pdf
    52 KB · Views: 2
It sounds like a great wine to try! Maybe we can find it in Portugal (moving from TX to Porto in February). Speaking of box wine, has anyone been able to taste this Spanish wine? La Nevera, Seleccion Especial Tinto. We walked pretty close to this vineyard on the Camino Frances. We found it at Whole Foods in Portland, ME. But not to be found that we've seen here in Austin. It's a good table wine. Very much like many of the bars and albergues served with peregrino menu. Not fine wine. Just good, drinkable wine. We hope to find it in Portugal.la Nevera box wine.png

Last edited:

BTW an Ausrtalian came up with the idea of boxed wine. And the automatic gear box.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought box wine once.

The label said it would last three weeks after opening.

That was very misleading as I only got three days out of the darn thing. :confused:

In all seriousness, I will look for this in our locale (Central Washington State). I have been very pleased to find rather a lot of good Spanish bottles, including Jumilla region, but a heavy emphasis on Navarre origin. Prices are rarely above $8.25 USD per 750 ml bottle.

Warmest holiday greetings to all,

B

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.