• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Organised tour or do-it-yourself?

nevster1975

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May 2019)
Looking at doing the Camino Frances for the first time in May 2019. I've taken a look at a number of threads but was looking for a comparison between doing it all yourself and an organised walk. I would be traveling solo with the aim of time alone and meeting others on the way. It seems that for the most part you can arrange accommodation on a day-to-day basis at the simple albergues on the route by either calling ahead or turning up on the day?
I found this company (one of several I'm sure) https://followthecamino.com/
that offer to arrange an itinerary for you, with accommodation bookings and so on, as well as luggage transfer if required. But I'm not sure if that kind of company is necessary and if I'd be missing out on the experience by not staying in the albergues?
Anyone any experience of the company above (https://followthecamino.com/)? Am I just best to book everything myself and if so what places really need some pre-booking (apart from Santiago)?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome :)

This is quite a common question for Newbie Pilgrims. The general consensus would seem to be that there is really no need to utilise the services of a tour company.

This old post might help you understand why ;)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/guided-vs-self-guided-caminos.51661/#post-567197

The other common tip, is don't book too far ahead as your plans may change depending on who you meet, your comfortable walking distance, injury etc etc. Many people don't book at all. I tend to book only 1 or 2 days ahead.

Part of the experience of walking the Camino, is that you learn to 'let go'............. :)

Welcome to the Forum,

An organized Camino is like vino tinto without alcohol: you can drink it, but it does not taste the same as the original one...
Buen Camino, organized or not, Jacques-D.

PS: for me, part of the pleasure is to plan and organize everything monthes in advance and throw away everything the 2nd day...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always suggest people do it themselves, if they're not afraid to go alone.
If you feel you need support, there are several folks organizing groups.
I do, but not in 2019.
Syl Nilsen does out of South Africa - you can search on Amawalkers.
She has a LOT of experience and good reviews.

Buy the guide book, follow your heart and your body and you’ll be fine. You won’t be alone on the Camino in May unless you want to be.
As has been said, the exciting part is the planning, mind you once you start all that planning goes out the window. You certainly won’t be the only pilgrim whose apprehensive about accommodation, either book a day in advance or stay at the municiple and parochial albergues andtake your chance.
I’m not against organised tours, it’s just that I don’t think it’s nesccesary.
Just go with flow, you have a magical journey ahead of you.

I would be traveling solo with the aim of time alone and meeting others on the way. I
With your goals going without a prearranged "tour" would be best. It's harder to meet others when you are locked into your accomodations. And it's hard to know before you've started how far you can or want to walk each day. Also, there's so much that can come up during a Camino that may cause you to want to change your plans. If you want, you can book your own accomodations ahead of time by consulting Gronze.com - it's in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will auto-translate the site. Just make sure that you make bookings that you can cancel.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, you wil certainly meet the others in your organized group, if you travel that way. But there is a lot to be said in, when you pass or are being passed by other pilgrims, in just wishing everyone a “Buen Camino”. Chances are you will meet up with them again over beer or paella in some bar.

Looking at doing the Camino Frances for the first time in May 2019. I've taken a look at a number of threads but was looking for a comparison between doing it all yourself and an organised walk. I would be traveling solo with the aim of time alone and meeting others on the way. It seems that for the most part you can arrange accommodation on a day-to-day basis at the simple albergues on the route by either calling ahead or turning up on the day?
that offer to arrange an itinerary for you, with accommodation bookings and so on, as well as luggage transfer if required. But I'm not sure if that kind of company is necessary and if I'd be missing out on the experience by not staying in the albergues?
Anyone any experience of the company above (https://followthecamino.com/)? Am I just best to book everything myself and if so what places really need some pre-booking (apart from Santiago)?

It walked the Frances this past Oct. I’m old so I had most of my gear forwarded each day. I planned ahead a day or two, reserving a bed in an albergue, usually private ones. I knew pretty much how far I would be comfortable walking. I used the Village to Village guide to research trail conditions and albergue choices. I pre reserved beds the first 5 days: Madrid, Pamplona, St Jean , Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. After that I reserved a day or two ahead. It worked for me. It gave me peace of mind. I’m going back this Spring. 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On my first Camino in 2001 I was given a single sheet of paper by the people in SJPP and told to follow the yellow arrows - I hadn't even done many training walks because we'd had foot and mouth disease in the UK and walking country footpaths was forbidden. Guess what? I made it and am still in contact with people I met along the Way.
Knowing what I know now I'd still do it the same way and there's a LOT more information out there to help you (including here).
Save your money (use it to splurge now and again - the Parador in Leon is a delight) and follow the yellow arrows
Have a great time!

I like a compromise approach. I enjoy not having to worry about where I am going to stay each night but do not want to be shepherded from place to place. So, I use a company to set up a place to stay each night. It is only slightly limiting and much more liberating since I can walk as fast or slow as I want to on any given day. I found that on about 1000 miles of Caminos (so far), I have had no problem meeting people and enjoying their company, thoughts, and stories. Yes I have paid a little more to avoid the angst of figuring out each day, the pressure to get somewhere so that I could get in line at an alburgue, and perhaps lost some of the friendships that are forged in the pain but I'm about 70 and had enough of that in my life already.

But when push comes to shove (and economics usually drives this), it really doesn't matter how you walk as long as you do walk. You never will walk alone (unless you choose to) for any period of time.

There is only one right answer: which suits you best.

Different people prefer tot walk the camino in different ways: there is no 'right'or 'wrong'.
But do read about the different ways and then decide which one suits you.

So, for what it's worth:
So far I've walk 4 Camino's and never planned ahead, just taking each day as it comes.
Never had any problems finding a place to sleep or meeting other people.
My last camino (Via de la Plata, 2018) I didn't even bring a guide book.
No problems whatsoever.

However you decide to walk your Camino: enjoy it!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1. "I'm not sure if that kind of company is necessary and if I'd be missing out on the experience by not staying in the albergues?"

I think you've heard from a number of people here that most do not feel that kind of company is necessary. Of the hundreds of thousands of people who complete the camino each year, the percentage of people who use companies like this is minute. So clearly, for many it can be done without. Only you can say if that is true for you. Are you the type of person who needs to know where they will be sleeping each night? How terrible would it be for you if you got to a place where you had intended to stop and the albergue was full so instead you had to stay in a casa rural or walk another few kilometres to the next village? What do you see your daily schedule like? My son and I naturally did our walking early in the day and tried to finish early to avoid walking in the heat of the day (July/Aug). Are you going to want to take a leisurely lunch break and continue walking into the evening? If the latter, having a place reserved in May may be advantageous.

Personally, I think staying in albergues is an important part of the experience, as it is the community and not just the walking that really makes the Camino and staying in an albergue really puts you in that community. That said, there are some people for whom sleeping in a dorm and sharing bathrooms just isn't going to happen. Better to walk the Camino and sleep in hotels than not to walk the Camino. And some find that sharing community with pilgrims outside of accommodations (walking along the way, at bar refreshment stops, in the squares and restaurants in the evening) is enough. Some find community with other pilgrims staying in hotels in hotels. But I think they are missing out on something. ;-)

2. "Anyone any experience of the company above (https://followthecamino.com/)?"

Not me.

3. "Am I just best to book everything myself and if so what places really need some pre-booking (apart from Santiago)?"

When we walked in July and August, I pre-booked our first two nights (Roncesvalles and Zubiri). I expect I didn't really need to book in Zubiri. After that, I didn't book anything else until after Sarria. We never had any trouble until Triacastela (just before Sarria). At Triacastela, the first three places we tried were full with reservations. The fourth had room for us. So it wasn't like we had to walk on or take more expensive accommodations. But after that experience, I started booking a day or two ahead (except O Pedrouzo where they didn't take reservations but gave precedence to people who had been longer on the Camino). But by our last 100 km, I was comfortable in booking ahead because I knew how far we were comfortable in walking and what we were looking for in an albergue.

Save your money (use it to splurge now and again - the Parador in Leon is a delight)
Unfortunately, the Parador in León is closed for renovations. 🙁

I like a compromise approach. I enjoy not having to worry about where I am going to stay each night but do not want to be shepherded from place to place. So, I use a company to set up a place to stay each night.
It's easy enough to book accommodations yourself without paying a service. And in my opinion better to do so as you go, and have a better idea of how far you want to walk and with whom.

Nevster. Don't overthink the trek, it is as straight forward as the blog entries you have been reading. Solo versus groups et al is a personal thing. I soloed two years ago and what began as a challenge turned into a transformative experience I never expected. That only came as a result of walking by myself and meeting others along the way. Accommodations? The CF is litered with lodging options. If you make advance reservations you trade a degree of spontaneity and flexibility for "certainty" but keep in mind, isn't that part of the adventure you are seeking. My advice, step out onto that limb and have a wonderful trek. Rover

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not much of a risk taker. I hired Follow the Camino to assist my solo Camino Finisterre in June 2017. I was very pleased with their service.... Yes, I could have done without it -- I chose not to....

I've also walked in the past with Amawalkers https://www.amawalkerscamino.com/ and Anniewalkers https://anniecarvalho.weebly.com/ small group walks and can recommend both of them enthusiastically.... I have usually avoided walking entirely alone because I know that if I walk entirely alone I will sink waaay too much into my introverted self.... I don't subscribe to the albergue cult -- have never had any trouble socializing when I felt like socializing -- and now in my mid-60s, "as the days dwindle down to a precious few", I can indulge in private rooms in cheap hotels.

I'm going back next September to walk the Meseta once more -- bravely solo this time! -- from Logrono to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and then from Burgos to Leon (or perhaps Astorga?).... Will I book most accomodations ahead? Yes. Some accomodations I've already booked by myself, using Booking.com -- because I know of specific places where I want to stay... Other venues I expect to book using the Camino Travel Center in Santiago: www.caminotravelcenter.com ...

I suggest that you just do what you're comfortable with.... and never you mind what other people think!

Last edited:
Like you, i also researched this option and decided to go it on my own. I never regretted this decision. Others whom i met doing the “tour” method sometimes felt constrained, unable to be spontaneous (take extra time in one city or another that appealed to them, or join others whom they met along the way) due to their preplanned reservations. What i observed to be successful for those on the “tour” route is that it is best suited to those going short distances( say, the last 100 km). If taking the full route you will find yourself guided by your preset schedule rather than by what moves you at the moment. And you will find ypurself moved by many things along the way. Let the trip move you. Dont preplan everything, i say.
(You may get some insights on the blog i wrote at jacscamino.wordpress.com)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think you've pretty much laid out the territory in your question and the answer is in your personal choice. Personally I like to reserve at the start so I have somewhere to land and then take it flexibly day by day. Apps like booking. com etc can be very helpful and the Camino Frances is exceptionally well served with food and accommodation which needs little or no pre reservation.
If, however, the uncertainty is too uncomfortable then give yourself a break and take the kind of tour that suits you best.

i did the CF in 2012 solo but used baggage transfer daily (had bad case of plantar fasciitis) and used Booking.com to reserve hotel rooms (pensions & casa ruals mostly--only 1 albergue which i hated). i booked the 1st week ahead then booked a day or 2 ahead for rest of camino except last 100k--it gets very busy so booked a week ahead. i did NOT miss out on a camino family as many have suggested by not staying in albergues. my "family" just texted each other for dinner each night or morning walk times--no problem. i met a few who used companies and most really liked that type of travel. i did miss not having a family at the end as i took some extra time to see the sights rather than keep on pace of Brierley's book. If i do it again i will take more free days to see more of Spain along the CF route.

You might want to do a little of both--use a tour company to start then go alone for the rest---i met other women who did this and were very pleased with this format.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have tried both methods - totally independent and pre-planned. I prefer the control, flexibility and independence of doing my own thing with a good guidebook, but pre-planning offers advantages.

I walked a week on the Via Portugues using a specialist company that booked hotels and arranged baggage transfers. Baggage transfers allow you to take more 'stuff', which may or may not be a good idea. You are freed from the stress of arranging bookings each day and maybe grappling with an unfamiliar language to do so.

But I felt like a fake walking a pilgrimage in such comfort, especially when meeting others on the route who were doing it the hard way. That's just a personal quirk of character - not a value judgement of anyone else. There is no right or wrong way involved in any of this.

However, if you are no longer young, or if injuries or disabilities are limiting - and you want to to extend your walking experiences, pre-booking and planning allow you to do so. BTW, as an aside, there are specialist groups that arrange pilgrimage walks for people with special needs who may not be able to arrange everything by themselves.

I also walked a week solo on Jakobsweg in Austria with everything arranged by a specialist company. I still felt like a fake, but the experience was more enjoyable this time, perhaps because I met only cyclists and normal hikers - and the scenery was to die for. The navigating instructions were from hotel to hotel and my bag was waiting for me when I arrived. Very luxurious indeed!

If you have a spiritual purpose in undertaking a long pilgrimage, or want to celebrate or reflect on something personal in your life, there is much to be said for immersing yourself among like-minded others on the way. A pre-booked and pre-planned experience can isolate you from many of the experiences that are to be gained by doing it the hard way. The challenge of overcoming difficulties, dealing with uncertainty and tiredness provides many of the most satisfying and lasting memories of my walks in Europe.

Whatever method you choose, may you be blessed with companionship and insight - and my your life be enriched by your experiences.

Bob M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked the CF with accommodation pre-booked right through from the start, along with daily luggage transfers. We were a group of 11 walkers, the majority aged 60+, together with one other spouse who was not fit enough to walk but wanted to accompany her husband and drove a hire car to the next location each day. We were primarily a group of retired ex-colleagues and partners now living spread around the world. We did it for practical reasons - we wanted to stay together, did not want the hassle of trying to book along the way, frankly none of us were enthusiastic about dorm type accommodation and 4 of the group did not have the time to walk the whole route and therefore joined us on pre-determined dates. We used a company named The Way Experiences and we met quite a lot of people doing it the same way as us with the help of a number of other companies.

Do I think it detracted from the experience - hell no! It did not stop us meeting and talking and socialising with a number of other pilgrims along the way. I read comments such as part of the Camino experience is learning to let go, or the communal living experience of staying in the albergues etc etc. Absolutely fine if that's your preference, or if you believe that is the "real"Camino experience.

As far as I am concerned it is down to each individual and what you make of the Camino experience. All I can say is that our experience of walking the CF was uplifting, with lots of laughter, and some pain (!), meeting people from all around the world with interesting backgrounds and experiences.

Do you have experience traveling independently in a major US city? Have you ever traveled independently to Europe? Have you ever traveled to a country where English is not the native language? If yes to all these questions, then you should have no problem planning your own Camino.

If your independent travel experience is limited, I'd suggest using to tour company for the Camino. Alternatively, improve your European travel skills with a visit to London, Paris, or Madrid. This will allow your to develop your travel skills that you will need to plan your own Camino.

-Paul

Thanks to all for the really helpful replies - have booked flights and first few nights! Arrive to St JPdP on 4 May to start on the 5 May! Excited.
Thanks for the invaluable support from this forum.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like a compromise approach. I enjoy not having to worry about where I am going to stay each night but do not want to be shepherded from place to place. So, I use a company to set up a place to stay each night. It is only slightly limiting and much more liberating since I can walk as fast or slow as I want to on any given day. I found that on about 1000 miles of Caminos (so far), I have had no problem meeting people and enjoying their company, thoughts, and stories. Yes I have paid a little more to avoid the angst of figuring out each day, the pressure to get somewhere so that I could get in line at an alburgue, and perhaps lost some of the friendships that are forged in the pain but I'm about 70 and had enough of that in my life already.

But when push comes to shove (and economics usually drives this), it really doesn't matter how you walk as long as you do walk. You never will walk alone (unless you choose to) for any period of time.
Could you please give me some suggestions of how I can find a company to set up places to stay and handle transfers (as you did) but we do not want a guide?

Could you please give me some suggestions of how I can find a company to set up places to stay and handle transfers (as you did) but we do not want a guide?
You can use the Spanish Post Office, Correos, or one of several other companies like Jacotrans, Camino Facíl, or Pilbeo to transport your luggage and book your own accommodations via their websites or Booking.com. This will give you the greatest control and flexibility over your Camino.

I used Caminoways.com in 2019 as a) I am old! b) Don't speak French/Spanish and was concerned that I would have trouble trying to book along the way c) I wanted the knowledge of where I would stay each night (as would my wife at home) d) Didn't want to rush to find accommodation e) I could afford it.
They were absolutely fine and fitted in with my requirements of the accommodation being close to where I could eat/drink in the evening and not requiring any transport to get there because of concern that my limited knowledge of the language and computer ability. Having experienced that and the knowledge gained, which I wouldn't have changed in retrospect, I am now planning my next one in 2022 but I will now do it myself. If I can help further then let me know.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've used walkthecamino.com to setup my stops and luggage transfers. They do a great job. In 1000 miles of Caminos, I've only had a few problems, all of which were remedied very quickly. They are also available 24/7 if you do have a problem with their services. Yes, you could do it yourself, but why?

Cost, flexibility...
I find that the ability to not worry about where to stay for the night has allowed me to spend more time talking with the people that I meet, appreciating the culture, and just being able to wander around a town. I've walked for days with the same group of people who have not reserved ahead - the stages are mostly determined in advance by the distance. It's nice to be "flexible" and to save a little bit of money but life is based on tradeoffs and has no absolutes so to each their own.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cost, flexibility...
Freedom 🙂 You leave everything behind, you only carry what you need, which is very little.
And the beauty of it is, you don’t miss anything😎
And ok, if you do, let’s not kid ourselves, you are not in the wilderness, you are in a country where you can buy anything you want!😉

We used The Way Experiences (a trademark of Cumbres Travel based in Madrid). They pre-booked all our accommodation in advance and also daily baggage transfers. Everything was fine without any hitches.

I have done some self-guided tours on the Camino and done some caminos on my own. I have thoroughly enjoyed them all. There are pros and cons to each methodology, but I would say the important thing is to get out and do it. How you do it, in this context, is less important.

If looking at a tour company, just a few of thoughts:

1. I have used them for trips of 10-14 days, and I think it has worked well. I would not book a 35 day trip in this manner. Just too many variables.

2. Watch the length of the stages. Some stages in some routes can be over 30kms. Be sure you are comfortable with the distances required.

3. Do your research. I have heard stories on this forum of exorbitant fees charged by some companies. A simple Google search should give you lots of information on different options.

I personally have used Caminoways in the past and always been satisfied. I have no connection to them.

I do not know the name of the company, but a person I met in Galacia had booked a fully planned tour and because of some personal issues and a nagging injury had to go off of her tour schedule.

She essentially lost all of her lodging, transportation, etc from Leon to the finish. All that money down the drain.

Since speaking to her the thought of a fully booked tour scares me to death.

M

I do not know the name of the company, but a person I met in Galacia had booked a fully planned tour and because of some personal issues and a nagging injury had to go off of her tour schedule.

She essentially lost all of her lodging, transportation, etc from Leon to the finish. All that money down the drain.

Since speaking to her the thought of a fully booked tour scares me to death.

M
Whilst I understand the very valid point you make I guess it is the decision people have to balance the potential loss of deposits against the certainty of accommmodation. When I did my first (currently my only), Camino Frances, from SJPdP I used a tour company to book it all for me. I gave no thought to not being able to finish - stupidity or confidence - no need to comment! Next time I will probably do it all myself but I will still book the whole Camino Frances in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first time I walked it was with a company, but since then have always pre- booked all of my own accommodation, and set up luggage transfers. Why? Besides the cost savings, it’s fun. I can read hotel or albergue reviews on booking.com, and wise pilgrim ( fellow pilgrims leave really useful comments) find better spots to stay, some off the beaten track. I can make sure there is a mix of accommodation styles and good locations. Also keeps the Camino on my mind during a long cold winter.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back