• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Organising Information

Kev&Kath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Oct/Dec 2021
VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
My wife and I will be walking the VdlP in the Spring of next year. I'm currently reading/researching and find myself with a wealth of information (walking recommendations and important points noted from various forums/blogs) that will likely be very useful next year. My challenge now is organising this information such that I can readily retrieve it in some logical fashion when walking.

I currently have an Excel spreadsheet (replicated within the Numbers app on the iPhone) that is getting pretty messy. I also have the main apps associated with the VdlP (Wise Pilgrim and the like). I'm wondering, though, if anyone has found a phone app that you can populate, store and easily retrieve travel information? I do use Tripit for separate travel activity; however, Tripit is not really the 'ideal' for the type of information I want to record.

Any advice - much appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kev&Kath,

I am at my final stages of my camino and I have found that all my spreadsheets, notes, guides, and lists have entered my subconscious so well that when I watch camino videos on Netflix, it all comes back to mind and I remember everything I wroye down. Muscle memory is happening 😃 and watching videos will reinforce all you've read.

I wanted to take an ultra light bag so this is good news for me; I was dreading carrying all the info I compiled and then having to search for it every few steps instead of enjoying my journey. I have yet to walk the camino but it really feels like that's the only thing to do at this stage 🤓.

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I read something useful for an upcoming Camino, I make notes using a Google Doc. Before I leave I pare down that document by collapsing dual or multiple entries. I can access this doc on my phone and search the categories that I have created: lodging/restos/flight info/key personal info, etc. In the personal info I have tel #s for my bank and credit cards.

You can store valuable information in your email. Create the docs by whatever program you like and email them to yourself and store in a Camino file. If you name them accordingly, you can pick the exact doc you want from your email file.

... I have yet to walk the camino but it really feels like that's the only thing to do at this stage
You can store valuable information in your email ...
When I read something useful for an upcoming Camino, I make notes ...

I commenced walking in April 2016. And for the four years of preparation beforehand I used similar techniques that you all have described above.

To aid my getting fit regime I began a trip log using a spreadsheet (a tool I was most comfortable with)

It was an easy progression to record the snippets of information I found for each town between Le Puy-en-Velay and Compostela, including height above sea level. This way I could make up my own stages, and change my mind and revise etc etc. And I put the spreadsheet on the tablet/phone I used.

But, on Camino, the tool(s) I found most useful were the two Michelin Guides 161 Chemins de Compostelle for France and 160 Camino de Santiago for Spain. They are light weight, fit in a (biggish) pocket (I kept mine a shoulder bag slung between the shoulder straps, so very ready to hand).
For the stages they have selected there is an elevation and distance "cartoon" showing localities and some points of interest, a thumbnail sketch of the entire route showing progress and, of course, a detailed Michelin map.

For me, the detailed preparation was necessary.

But on camino it was not sufficient for enjoying each day.

So, I say kia kāha, kia māia, kia manawanui tātou (you all take care, be strong, confident and patient)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kev&Kath,

I am at my final stages of my camino and I have found that all my spreadsheets, notes, guides, and lists have entered my subconscious so well that when I watch camino videos on Netflix, it all comes back to mind and I remember everything I wroye down. Muscle memory is happening 😃 and watching videos will reinforce all you've read.

I wanted to take an ultra light bag so this is good news for me; I was dreading carrying all the info I compiled and then having to search for it every few steps instead of enjoying my journey. I have yet to walk the camino but it really feels like that's the only thing to do at this stage 🤓.

Ultreia!
Thank you for the good advice! I've watched so many YouTube vids on the Camino and such does reinforce and trigger a memory response when you're out walking. Conversely, I've watched more vids post our Frances pilgrimage late last year and I'm regularly looking at the wife and noting...'do you remember seeing that', or 'that's unfortunate...we missed that'! From my research I'm sensing the VdlP is a very different 'beast' to the Frances, and on some legs you really can't afford to miss remembering certain things (associated mainly with food and water).

Last edited:
When I read something useful for an upcoming Camino, I make notes using a Google Doc. Before I leave I pare down that document by collapsing dual or multiple entries. I can access this doc on my phone and search the categories that I have created: lodging/restos/flight info/key personal info, etc. In the personal info I have tel #s for my bank and credit cards.
Thank you TMcA! I'll have a look at that on Google. Appreciate your response. Thanks!!

You can store valuable information in your email. Create the docs by whatever program you like and email them to yourself and store in a Camino file. If you name them accordingly, you can pick the exact doc you want from your email file.
DyanTX..thanks for this idea, and I'll give it a try. I could set up a file for each days leg and store associated notes therein. Has merit 'methinks'! Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I will be walking the VdlP in the Spring of next year. I'm currently reading/researching and find myself with a wealth of information (walking recommendations and important points noted from various forums/blogs) that will likely be very useful next year. My challenge now is organising this information such that I can readily retrieve it in some logical fashion when walking.

I currently have an Excel spreadsheet (replicated within the Numbers app on the iPhone) that is getting pretty messy. I also have the main apps associated with the VdlP (Wise Pilgrim and the like). I'm wondering, though, if anyone has found a phone app that you can populate, store and easily retrieve travel information? I do use Tripit for separate travel activity; however, Tripit is not really the 'ideal' for the type of information I want to record.

One thing I've done is make notes in my Calendar app on my iPhone. I keep coming across people's comments about good restaurants, or 'beware of dogs,' or even warnings that there were few breaks between X & Y. I'm hoping this method will give me daily, location specific notifications of what to expect or plan for when I start out each day.

One thing I've done is make notes in my Calendar app on my iPhone. I keep coming across people's comments about good restaurants, or 'beware of dogs,' or even warnings that there were few breaks between X & Y. I'm hoping this method will give me daily, location specific notifications of what to expect or plan for when I start out each day.
YYC thank you so much. That's not a bad way of going about it either. The detail you note is exactly the type of information I'll want to retrieve when walking. I'll look into this. Thanks again!

All posts so far look useful especially if you love planning and spreadsheets - which I do.
However I find that once on Camino I like to hand over to the Way its self.
I am Planning to walk VdlP in Sept and am loving the prep, reading this forum, popping apps into my phone, setting up the route on the Ride with GSP app, etcetera. And this will all be useful.
However I think my best resource to date isGerald Kelly's Walking Guide to VdlP and Camino Sanabrés 2022. An incredibly slim lightweight volume that I found thru this forum - with all the key practical info.
It will have pride of place in my pack and will be thoroughly read to keep me fed, slept and safe. The rest I will leave to my Camino angels and look forward to the adventure of discovery.
I wish you a wonderful Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All posts so far look useful especially if you love planning and spreadsheets - which I do.
I am Planning to walk VdlP in Sept and am loving the prep, reading this forum, popping apps into my phone, setting up the route on the Ride with GSP app, etcetera. And this will all be useful.
However I think my best resource to date isGerald Kelly's Walking Guide to VdlP and Camino Sanabrés 2022. An incredibly slim lightweight volume that I found thru this forum - with all the key practical info.
It will have pride of place in my pack and will be thoroughly read to keep me fed, slept and safe. The rest I will leave to my Camino angels and look forward to the adventure of discovery.
And if you miss or forget something, just go back and walk it again next year!😊

Rita...definitely agree. Have Gerald's guidebook 2020, and will update to the latest shortly. Thank you!

I’ve used the email method and excel spreadsheets in the past. Now I’m using Microsoft OneNote. I like separating my data using various tabs. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back