A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Live - Cam. Norte Oriñon to Laredo without the scary bit

Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We had initially wanted to go from Oriñon to Laredo by going up the side of Monte Candina, following tracks that are in the Wise Pilgrim's app, and the instructions of @Luka .
As my wife was not comfortable with the idea after an exploratory trial run, and as it had rained the night before, we decided not to climb that way.
As we stayed at Albergue Lia in Oriñon (Manoli is very kind, a great cook, and knows Monte Candina well) the alternative could have been to get back on the carretera nacional N634, and walk up to Mollaneda on asphalt, and then join the Camino in Isequilla.
Instead, we found an alternative that follows designated paths up Monte Candina, but avoids the 'peligroso' bit on the cliffs. It's on a flyer (see photo) describing paths around Liendo, "Liendo a tu pies".
We left Oriñon, went under the Autovia, followed the N634 for a short distance to a car park, where the track starts. We followed the red/orange path until it joined the blue, then followed that until it joined the yellow, and this took us to Ermite San Julian.
The first path is fairly simple to follow: there are no forks in the path, and there is the occasional coloured dot to confirm you're on the right track. The path is sometimes a bit rocky, and as it had rained the night before, in places it was a little slippery. The views of the top of Monte Candina are beautiful.
At a signpost showing the path to the summit, we went down the blue path. For the first 100m or so it is not marked, and we just followed what looked like a path in the grass until we saw a blue dot. From then on, the blue dots are frequent.
A word of warning: wear long pants! The path goes through lots of thorny bushes.
Finally, we get to the yellow path which takes us to the Ermita and we join the Camino again.
We didn't have our backpacks (first time in 94 days!!!) and they were sent forward by Correos. I wouldn't recommend you walk this with a backpack.
We thoroughly enjoyed this, without fear of cliffs, yet beautiful views. And certainly a better alternative to walking along the N634.
Attached is also the GPX data.

Attachments

Well, that is very clever! So am I right that you went up to about the 3 on the black route and then back down and then the next day you passed the spot where that black route, which turns black and orange, merges with the yellow route that you were then on? A bit confusing, but with this map, it's pretty easy to see. And it was probably shorter than the N634 into Isequilla would have been, so that is an advantage too. Now you are in Laredo, lots of good food to be had in that town as I remember. And I got a great haircut as well! Buen camino to you two, you are so so lucky! I know I've said that a thousand times, but I can't help myself.

Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Well, that is very clever! So am I right that you went up to about the 3 on the black route and then back down and then the next day you passed the spot where that black route, which turns black and orange, merges with the yellow route that you were then on? A bit confusing, but with this map, it's pretty easy to see. And it was probably shorter than the N634 into Isequilla would have been, so that is an advantage too. Now you are in Laredo, lots of good food to be had in that town as I remember. And I got a great haircut as well! Buen camino to you two, you are so so lucky! I know I've said that a thousand times, but I can't help myself.
We went up to the 3 on the black, and then came down. The next day we went up the red/orange, then switched to the blue at point 12, and then switched to the yellow at point 15.
Definitely good food in Laredo :)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%