• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Original Altus (not atmospheric) vs. Decathlon brand

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have worn an old (2004, I believe) original altus poncho for years. I just tried it under the shower and it still seems waterproof. Some of the taping at the seams, though, is showing its age, and at a few pressure points (where shoulder joins arms, for instance), it looks like there is some separation of the taping. Iā€™ve attached a picture. Altus is 14 oz.

A few years ago, I bought a red Quechua poncho in Decathlon, in the in-city Lisbon store. It was only 30 euros so I thought Iā€™d give it a try. But I have never worn it, though maybe itā€™s time. It is 4 oz heavier than the Altus, which is not a trivial difference, but is probably due in large part to the zippers under the arms in the Decathlon poncho.

Has anyone used the Decathlon brand poncho?
The product information page is virtually unintelligible (To me anyway) because I canā€™t tell which parts refer to the specific product and which are more general.

I have had generally bad luck with the durability and general overall quality of things I have gotten in Decathlon, specifically of the Quechua brand. But I know others really like their products.

Anyway, @AJGuillaumeā€™s recent posts on ponchos got me thinking that I should go to the back of my closet and dig this one up. I am assuming I should not bring the old Altus, but what I donā€™t know is whether people are generally happy with the Quechua one.

Attachments

• D94C0104-DB7D-4157-B08C-427DB4BF0A75.jpeg
    D94C0104-DB7D-4157-B08C-427DB4BF0A75.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too have an Altus that I bought in 2013 have used a lot and I'm not gentle with it. Looks new works perfect. I'm told by caring people that I look like Ugly Red Ridding Hood in it, it's perfect. I understand your hesitancy on Quechua products. I know some people like them but on my first Camino in 2013 I switched out my heavy boots for a pair of Quechua hiking shoes. About 250km later the entire toe pieces on both detached and the condition of the rest of the shoes had people thinking I must have walked some kind of epic long camino.

I have worn an old (2004, I believe) original altus poncho for years. I just tried it under the shower and it still seems waterproof. Some of the taping at the seams, though, is showing its age, and at a few pressure points (where shoulder joins arms, for instance), it looks like there is some separation of the taping. Iā€™ve attached a picture. Altus is 14 oz.

I don't know anything about the new one but
I'd keep that old ALTUS until it fell off!
I just bought an older one, having given mine away, and am SOOOOO happy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@laurie, I'm like @Anniesantiago - last year I went to the trouble of re-seaming my old Altus because I've heard the new ones are not as good.

But I am impressed by the look of this Decathlon model, and also the one Annie mentioned that someone in her group used. We need someone to do a real world comparison of all three.

If you're looking for signs in the universe...today is Valentine's Day and that Altus is red. Why would you abandon your old faithful for something newer and unproven? Stick with your first love;-) Show her some kind attention as @Kanga did and she (the Altus, not Kanga) may accompany you for many more miles yet.

If you're looking for signs in the universe...today is Valentine's Day and that Altus is red.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Because I'm so many hours behind you, you just gave me an early warning that I need to dash to the store to get a card and some roses . . . lest I not live to walk another camino! ;)

Though I imagine she won't thank me for giving her a red poncho. Bad husband. Very, very bad husband!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Because I'm so many hours behind you, you just gave me an early warning that I need to dash to the store to get a card and some roses . . . lest I not live to walk another camino! ;)

Though I imagine she won't thank me for giving her a red poncho. Bad husband. Very, very bad husband!
I would be thrilled to receive a red poncho for Valentine's Day! Lasts longer than flowers or candy. šŸ˜Š

A red poncho and a single red rose...

I bet there is a you tube video (or six) on how to re-seal the old poncho.

Hi,
I just bought this decathlon poncho for my upcoming one week walk in march from Irun to Bilbao. I haven't been able to try it, still waiting for rain at a time I can walk here in CoruƱa , which usually is every day......I chose it after reading a lot of posts here on the board. It seems to have the things people found important, front zip-up, velcro wrist closures, under arm zips....plus I live near a decathlon so I could try it on, one thing I didn't notice from reading about the poncho but like is the visor type hood, no need for a cap like I do on my ā€˜normalā€™ poncho. I have been using a normal decathlon poncho on all my caminos so far and it has been fine. Since I usually walk in summer wet arms haven't bothered me on the very few rain days summer time brings, my one all-day rain day on the invierno last April I was uncomfortable since I use poles. My week next month on the norte is squeezed in after concerts we are playing in Bilbao, not necessarily the time I would choose but a chance to scratch that Camino Itch......is not to be avoided so I upgraded my poncho since rain is very likely along the coast, I will report back once I get a chance to use it in the wild.
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm starting Del Norte from Irun on April 12th. South Africa doesn't have much in the way of quality ponchos so I was hoping to buy one in Spain. Are there any stores in Irun similar to the one in SJPdP where I would be able to find a good quality poncho?

Are there any stores in Irun similar to the one in SJPdP where I would be able to find a good quality poncho?
I donā€™t visit them often (mostly buy my stuff at ā€˜realā€™ outdoor shops, but at least thereā€™s a Decathlon in both Irun and San Sebastian.

Or try Izadi Kirolak or Deportes Ada. Both in San Sebastian.

A red poncho and a single red rose...

I bet there is a you tube video (or six) on how to re-seal the old poncho.

Anyone wanting to know how to make and use seam sealers can send me a PM, and I'll be happy to share the recipe :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-

A few years ago, I bought a red Quechua poncho in Decathlon, in the in-city Lisbon store. It was only 30 euros so I thought Iā€™d give it a try. But I have never worn it, though maybe itā€™s time. It is 4 oz heavier than the Altus, which is not a trivial difference, but is probably due in large part to the zippers under the arms in the Decathlon poncho.

The product information page is virtually unintelligible (To me anyway) because I canā€™t tell which parts refer to the specific product and which are more general.

I have had generally bad luck with the durability and general overall quality of things I have gotten in Decathlon, specifically of the Quechua brand. But I know others really like their products.

Anyway, @AJGuillaumeā€™s recent posts on ponchos got me thinking that I should go to the back of my closet and dig this one up. I am assuming I should not bring the old Altus, but what I donā€™t know is whether people are generally happy with the Quechua one.
I went to Decathlon in Pamplona to buy a sleeping bag last year. I was pretty disappointed with their selection. I walked around the store for quite a long time just to check it out. Overall I was a little disappointed with what I found there. I live in Mexico now and if I had a chance to go back to the States I would have gone to an REI. I always was impressed with the wide selection of their offerings. They are not cheap but I have bought many things there and I still use them. I have used my REI backpack for 5 caminos and although it is scratched and faded it is still in great shape after about 7 months of walking with it. The employees are friendly and nice. I was in the REI in Austin a year before and they had a much larger choice of bags at a variety of prices. I do believe their staff directs you to the item to buy based on your needs and not on the price. I hope I am not making to much of a generalization based on one store and one visit. But a store the size of Decathalon and their reputation I was expecting more.

I bought and used the decathlon poncho last year on the VDLP.
I really liked it and will be using it again this year - it was easy to don and remove, and I especially liked the zippers under the arms. It is on the heavy side at 508g

What attracts me with the Quechua poncho, is the under arms zips for ventilation, which the Altus does not seem to have.
The issue for me is that I can't buy an 'old' Altus...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.