• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson - bad weather risk

JustEuman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
April/May 2017
May 2018
April/May
Hi everyone,

I'm considering staying a night in Orisson in April,

A couple of questions around this please,

What typically happens if the weather changes overnight making crossing from Orisson unsafe the next morning?

And secondly what happens if the pilgrims office advises you NOT to go the Napoleon route on the day you want to leave SJPdP due to bad weather forecasts?, I'm guessing this probably means find an Albergue in SIPdP and lose your booking in Orisson!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone,

I'm considering staying a night in Orrison in April,

What typically happens if the weather changes overnight making crossing from Orrison unsafe the next morning?

And secondly what happens if the pilgrims office advises you NOT to go the Napoleon route on the day you want to leave SJPdP due to bad weather forecasts?, I'm guessing this probably means find an Albergue in SIPdP and lose your booking in Orrison!!

Thanks in advance
Hi , when the Napoleon route is closed you can get a refund when you booked in the Albergue Orisson.
Wish you well,Peter.

I stayed there 15 June 2017, it was a raining heavily by the time I reached the Refuge. Over night it sleeted and was close to freezing the next morning, we walked in a dense frozen fog until we reached the top of the hill and were welcomed to the sight of clear blue skies as we descended the mountain to Roncevalles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First day out from SJPP, overwhelming excitement, great expectations, new sights, many new people, lots to talk about already when taken all together make it very difficult to hit you usual rhythm and pace walking so Orrison can be a life saver. Book w-e-l-l in advance its a popular spot. Do however spend a dime and call Jean-Jacques on the telephone some time before you leave to re-confirm, mistakes and forgetfulness can happen anywhere.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First day out from SJPP, overwhelming excitement, great expectations, new sights, many new people, lots to talk about already when taken all together make it very difficult to hit you usual rhythm and pace walking so Orrison can be a life saver. Book w-e-l-l in advance its a popular spot. Do however spend a dime and call Jean-Jacques on the telephone some time before you leave to re-confirm, mistakes and forgetfulness can happen anywhere.
The Pilgrim Office in SJPDP calls Jean Jacque each morning to gauge the weather at Orisson and toward Roncesvalles. No one should discount a determination that starting out is NOT recommended.

I hesitated to respond to this thread because what happened to me was definitely the exception and very far from the norm. However, I have just responded to another thread about the same incident so feel obliged to now put something on here. I and other pilgrims walked from Orisson in September 2015 in what turned out to be a hurricane. The road was apparently officially closed but noone at Orisson told us. We had visited the pilgrim office the day before and got their advice. There is no internet access at Orisson to check the weather forecast. We were complete newbies and didn’t know better. So we walked up the mountain into the wind because that is what pilgrims do. Would never do it again. As soon as it got to the point where it was impossible to walk against the wind gusts I would turn back.
I am very pleased to hear that the pilgrim office rings Orisson every morning to gather information and also hopefully to keep Orisson informed of any advice received from the gendarmes about road closures.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone,

What typically happens if the weather changes overnight making crossing from Orisson unsafe the next morning?

And secondly what happens if the pilgrims office advises you NOT to go the Napoleon route on the day you want to leave SJPdP due to bad weather forecasts?, I'm guessing this probably means find an Albergue in SIPdP and lose your booking in Orisson!!

Thanks in advance

I know exactly what you are going through. I departed St Jean on May 1st last year; the weather on the Napoleon route on the Saturday an Sunday was almost like being in mid-winter - rain and snow; 60-80 km winds and a temperature of 6 or 7 at best. I had booked Orisson for the evening of May 1st, but after consulting with the Pilgrims Office in St Jean I decided to walk via Valcarlos (with an overnight stop here). As it turned out the Monday afternoon at Orisson was good but the next morning with the climb to over 1340/1450 metres it was risky at best. Even down in the valley it was still raining - but no snow. So what I am saying is - you pay your money for the Orisson reservation but be prepared to make alternate plans (you can expect to loose your E30 reservation fee). Buen Camino

I know exactly what you are going through. I departed St Jean on May 1st last year; the weather on the Napoleon route on the Saturday an Sunday was almost like being in mid-winter - rain and snow; 60-80 km winds and a temperature of 6 or 7 at best. I had booked Orisson for the evening of May 1st, but after consulting with the Pilgrims Office in St Jean I decided to walk via Valcarlos (with an overnight stop here). As it turned out the Monday afternoon at Orisson was good but the next morning with the climb to over 1340/1450 metres it was risky at best. Even down in the valley it was still raining - but no snow. So what I am saying is - you pay your money for the Orisson reservation but be prepared to make alternate plans (you can expect to loose your E30 reservation fee). Buen Camino

Thanks for the reply, I have decided to not book ahead based on feedback

How fast it can change, I crossed the Napoleon Route April 15 last year and it was a fantastic day.
On the day you mention I was doing the stretch on the Meseta between Carrion de los Condes and Terradillos de los Templarios and that same weather & cold snap came across the plains .. that stands out the single hardest day of the whole journey for myself and others I walked with

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Previous replies to a similar question indicate that there will be a refund and even help if you do stay there but weather keeps you from continuing the next day. See
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/orisson-question.39139/
Previous replies to a similar question indicate that there will be a refund and even help if you do stay there but weather keeps you from continuing the next day. See
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/orisson-question.39139/

Yes thank you I did see that thread

Hi , when the Napoleon route is closed you can get a refund when you booked in the Albergue Orisson.
Wish you well,Peter.
I have just been in touch with the folks at the Albergue in Orisson as I am walking at end of April. They said if weather closes in they will drive people to the alternative route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My stay at Orisson and that beautiful walk from SJPDP to Roncesvales was a beautiful start and a highlight of my 2016 Camino. The pilgrims I met at Orisson met up and continued to travel together at times...and remain friends today. Also while slippery the path through the woods into Roncesvaes.....beautiful.
Buen Camino....follow your ❤️

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

Hi Sean ,
As your photo on Forum indicates you will be aware when Air Traffic Control tells the pilot one more lap mate you can't approach.
Thats the same with over the top.
Orrrissson [ just to upset Trecile:)] has only 44 beds , whilst each day there are 100's that commence.
Valcarlos might be recommended , if so enjoy the stop there its a great little village.
And don't for one minute think you are taking the easy way ,
Its the original way , Napoleon was never @ Orisson or near it , its just as hard but you can leave StJPP later in the day and have a leisurely walk in the basque countryside before good accommodation and food.
The next day you could consider well past Roncesvalles for a stop.
Be guided mate from the office and have a great camino.

Hi Sean ,
As your photo on Forum indicates you will be aware when Air Traffic Control tells the pilot one more lap mate you can't approach.
Thats the same with over the top.
Orrrissson [ just to upset Trecile:)] has only 44 beds , whilst each day there are 100's that commence.
Valcarlos might be recommended , if so enjoy the stop there its a great little village.
And don't for one minute think yu are taking the easy way ,
Its the original way , Napoleon was never @ Orisson or near it , its just as hard but you can leave StJPP later in the day and have a leisurely walk in the basque countryside before good accommodation and food.
The next day you could consider well past Roncesvalles for a stop.
Be guided mate from the office and have a great camino.

Thanks Thornley!

My first preference is over the top, but on the day I would be just as happy with the route via Valcarlos :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back