• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson Building Damage?

Buffalo

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned 2022 Francis
A post from a member last week touched on an Orisson reservation response:
We are sorry but we have had some
damage on part of our accommodation
that cannot be exploited and therefore
we cannot keep your reservation.
We refund the deposit.
The Kayola gite, located 800m before the
Orisson Refuge, is open for reservation,
subject to availability of course.
Details and booking always on the
website of the refuge in "KAYOLA".
Thank you for your understanding
Orisson Refuge
Anyone have any knowledge on this?
His reservation was May 5th, our reservation is May 7th.
Concerned.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No point in being concerned, you’re either lucky or not. It was reported that ‘part’ of the facility is affected. I didn’t see any details, but someone will be along in a moment.

Perhaps put Plan B in place. I’d suggest making a refundable booking for the affected night in SJPdP in case your Orrison is cancelled (a lucky escape if that happened IMHO; but opinions vary.) and be prepared to use the shuttle taxi.

I agree with henrythedog.
I'd do one of three things:

1) Book Borda TODAY RIGHT NOW because it will fill up quickly (1 k past Orisson) - they also have a Facebook page.
2) Book an extra night in SJPP then use Express Bouricott's shuttle - walk UP to Orisson the first day then shuttle back down to SJPP. Shuttle UP to Orisson on Day 2 and continue walking. Inexpensive and reliable.
3) Walk the Valcarlos Route

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Concerned.
Are you concerned about him or about yourself? He obviously must make other arrangements while you don't have to. People who have booked and did not have their booking cancelled including a refund are spending the night at Orisson as booked. Right now on April 11. Buen Camino!

Make reservation in SJPdeP, head off around 7 am following morning and walk your first day all the way to Roncevalles…….if you are even half fit you’ll make it to Roncevalles on Day 1!!
You mean to say: Forget about the €40 that you have already paid for a bed at Orisson and that you will not get back when you walk past on the way up from SJPP? Sound advice. As the careful reader may have noticed: Not everybody thinks that these dinner evening are so great to write home about. 😄

A selection of Camino Jewellery

1) Book Borda TODAY RIGHT NOW because it will fill up quickly (1 k past Orisson) - they also have a Facebook page.
2) Book an extra night in SJPP then use Express Bouricott's shuttle - walk UP to Orisson the first day then shuttle back down to SJPP. Shuttle UP to Orisson on Day 2 and continue walking. Inexpensive and reliable.
IMHO - your option #2 is the best method to avoid added stress.

Just make certain you have a bed reserved at Roncesvalles.

Tom

Are you concerned about him or about yourself? He obviously must make other arrangements while you don't have to. People who have booked and did not have their booking cancelled including a refund are spending the night at Orisson as booked. Right now on April 11. Buen Camino!
Thank you. I assume you were at Orisson April 11 and chatted with the owners/operators for this information. Whew. Relief for us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a reservation for April 22. I have not heard anything about it being cancelled so I am hoping I can still spend the night there!

I assume you were at Orisson April 11 and chatted with the owners/operators for this information. Whew. Relief for us.
I wasn't but other people were. Some people had their Orisson bookings cancelled for April and May and received a refund, other people did not get such information and their bookings are honoured. Orisson is open for business. Also, people have walked over the passes of the Route Napoleon in recent days and found it manageable although there are still patches of old snow. There is general advice against using the path from the Lepoeder pass through the forest on the final descent (presumably more so because this may be particularly slippery right now. Ankles and wrists have broken in the past there and Caminos ended prematurely). The recommendation is using the road from Lepoeder to the Ibañeta pass and chapel instead. This is one of the two standard options for the final descent to the Roncesvalles albergue. Buen Camino!

He declined my request for a bed at Orisson on April 20, but did have a bed at Kayola available. I was also able to get seating for dinner that evening and breakfast the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for sharing the information! I have a reservation with them and have NOT heard my reservation has been cancelled (yet anyway). My reservation is not until late May though - so at least I know to keep my eyes open for communication from them - should the situation not be resolved quickly. Unfortunately I already know Borda is full the day I booked Orisson for (I tried booking with them before Orisson since I did Orisson last year) - so I guess I might end up walking the entire Napoleon route in one day - should they have to cancel my reservation! Better get practicing my hill hikes! (Yes - I do know about the shuttle too). Hope the damage isn't too bad.

Make reservation in SJPdeP, head off around 7 am following morning and walk your first day all the way to Roncevalles…….if you are even half fit you’ll make it to Roncevalles on Day 1!!
Disagree.....many times over and have seen crying men and woman and those who quit at Roncevalles. This is irresponsible advice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I have done just that, anniesantiago. I will do this @ May 19-20.

Disagree.....many times over and have seen crying men and woman and those who quit at Roncevalles. This is irresponsible advice.
Yes! Of course - this comes down to knowing your abilities. Last year I couldn't have done it. This year - maybe! But hope I don't have to.

Everyone needs to watch their spam folders for any communication from either Orisson or Kayola. I was lucky to check mine to get things sorted out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

4) Purchase a Jetpack.

Don’t do it! Agree with Susan. If your initial assessment or instinct was to pause in Orrison (and now your reservation is canceled) based upon the distance and terrain, do not stretch yourself to go the entire distance to Roncevalles if you are beginning your camino in SJPdP. Too many pilgrims have had to stop their caminos because they thought the first day was a walk in the park! Start slow! Use one of the options already suggested to divide the walk into two days. Start slow!

I like option #3. The Valcarlos route is very fine walk.

Everyone needs to watch their spam folders for any communication from either Orisson or Kayola. I was lucky to check mine to get things sorted out.
I can second that suggestion and add one to watch for mail to other mailboxes.
I received my second response (following the initial acknoweledgement of my request) to an email address I almost never use and don't normally monitor, probably taken from Facebook.

I have a reservation for May 4 and as far as I know it hasn't been cancelled (or refunded). Always worry about a message getting misdirected into spam though.
I emailed to confirm my reservation and got a quick reply that mine was OK. I did book very early -- in January for May.

Edited to add: so reservation is probably OK if you're diligent about checking spam folders and watching the Paypal account for any refunds.

I was surprised that Orrison's response did not mention the new Borda albergue as another option in addition to the Kayola gite since it is only a short distance further.
Let me have a guess. Could it be that the owners of Orisson mention Kayola as an option for accommodation and not Borda because they own Kayola and not Borda? Also, because earlier in the year the Orisson website said that they are not sure whether they will open Kayola this year and now they have opened it and want it to be known to any potential customer?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Or possibly they don't want to advertise the new competition as many may choose to stop at Orrison for a drink, but prefer to continue up the way a bit further before ending their day, which would be my own preference.

Or possibly they don't want to advertise the new competition
This is my assumption! The same people own Kayola and Orisson. Borda is competition. It would make sense that they would want to fill Kayola first. Especially if they are losing business at Orisson due to whatever damage. And it sounds like maybe just one of their dorm rooms has damage - otherwise they would have had to cancel everyone's reservation. Anyhow - hoping they are able to make whatever repairs are necessary quickly so that they can resume full operations!

Thanks for all the helpful advice.
We have not received a cancellation/refund email so we are planning on our stay as scheduled.
Buen Camino all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Damage at Orison was caused by a landslide which has caused structural damage to parts of the building. I am sure that all those who have unfortunately had their reservations cancelled as a result, with be getting their deposits and payments back. Please check your spam folders and email folders for the advice which has been posted to those concerned.

I have a reservation for April 22. I have not heard anything about it being cancelled so I am hoping I can still spend the night there!
I forgot to pay my initial invoice for Orisson April 22. Paid last week and contacted them to see if they received the payment. On April 13 (3 days ago) a gentleman replied with a short "paiement ok, à bientôt".

€149,-
I forgot to pay my initial invoice for Orisson April 22. Paid last week and contacted them to see if they received the payment. On April 13 (3 days ago) a gentleman replied with a short "paiement ok, à bientôt".
Hey, would you mind sharing how you contacted Orrison? I’m having no luck at all.

‘Booked’ 16th Jane
Invoice sent and paid 19th Jan
Money left PayPal 21st Jan

Sent 4 emails to the same address that sent the email and sent a message through the website and nothing.

I’m supposed to me staying the night of the 18th April? 🤞

I was more than half fit. I would not recommend it. Especially leaving at 7AM, you stand a chance arriving in Roncevalles when full. That's what happened to me, Sept 2018.

I was more than half fit. I would not recommend it. Especially leaving at 7AM, you stand a chance arriving in Roncevalles when full. That's what happened to me, Sept 2018.
Stories like this is why I chose to go to Valcarlos and didn't regret it. I arrived at Roncevalles the next day in plenty of time to secure a bed. Even so, a line had already formed down the albergue hallway to check in.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, would you mind sharing how you contacted Orrison? I’m having no luck at all.
Via mail to reservation(at)refuge-orisson.com and my best french (aka google translate 🙃) . Maybe they are just busy with repairing the damage and I was lucky to get a reply. The camino provides! :)

‘Booked’ 16th Jane
Invoice sent and paid 19th Jan
Money left PayPal 21st Jan

Sent 4 emails to the same address that sent the email and sent a message through the website and nothing.

I’m supposed to me staying the night of the 18th April? 🤞
Orisson does not send a confirmation after you have paid. Your PayPal payment confirmation is all that you should need.

Via mail to reservation(at)refuge-orisson.com and my best french (aka google translate 🙃) . Maybe they are just busy with repairing the damage and I was lucky to get a reply. The camino provides! :)
Thanks I was about to ask the same question, as I'd like to confirm my 10 May 2022 reservations. i paid the invoice back in November 2021 but never got a final confirmation.

Orisson does not send a confirmation after you have paid. Your PayPal payment confirmation is all that you should need.
Awesome! Two questions answered at once. I was getting nervous that I never got a confirmation from them, just a PayPal confirmation. I did not get a cancellation email, so I'm assuming all is fine. I'll probably email them anyway, just to be sure.

Thanks I was about to ask the same question, as I'd like to confirm my 10 May 2022 reservations. i paid the invoice back in November 2021 but never got a final confirmation.

Awesome! Two questions answered at once. I was getting nervous that I never got a confirmation from them, just a PayPal confirmation. I did not get a cancellation email, so I'm assuming all is fine. I'll probably email them anyway, just to be sure.
Not sure I got an actual PayPal confirmation. I can see the payment leaving my account to theirs though?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Stories like this is why I chose to go to Valcarlos and didn't regret it. I arrived at Roncevalles the next day in plenty of time to secure a bed. Even so, a line had already formed down the albergue hallway to check in.
My wife and I did the Valcarlos route (stayed in Valcarlos for a night) in late October last year....absolutely no regrets. We thought it was a fantastic (albeit a challenging ascent on day 2) walk. We were in Roncesvalles around 12:30...in time for lunch and a tour of the museum. This route was a great start to the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not sure I got an actual PayPal confirmation. I can see the payment leaving my account to theirs though?
I did get a PayPal confirmation. It was by email. I make a PDF out of all of my reservations & confirmations and add them to a OneNote folder on my home computer. This synchronizes with all of my devices, so that I can pull up a copy anywhere in the world. you only need internet access to synchronize. Once synchronized, it's in my phone with or without internet access.

I plan to go there late next week. I will report back. I have know Jean Jacques for a number of years.
Yes, please do! Curious as to how much damage - I will be staying there late May. Still no cancellation notice so I am assuming my reservation is probably fine - for now anyway! If they do need to cancel though - I hope they don't wait too long before doing it. I have other reservations that would need adjusting the first week of my Camino. Not to mention - I would have to start doing more "hill" hikes to get ready for a longer trek over the Pyrenees in one day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

TBH you’ll only start worrying about why they’ve not replied to your email - which they probably will not. Welcome to customer service a la mode de Orrison. They have a process which works for them, assisted by a (until recently) monopoly position.

I did get a PayPal confirmation. It was by email. I make a PDF out of all of my reservations & confirmations and add them to a OneNote folder on my home computer. This synchronizes with all of my devices, so that I can pull up a copy anywhere in the world. you only need internet access to synchronize. Once synchronized, it's in my phone with or without internet access.
That’s cool. I just take pictures but will look into this. Sounds more organized

I've stayed at Orisson three times. Each time, I've received an invoice via PayPal from SARL APATHIA, then subsequently confirmation of payment via PayPal.

There has always been a note in the PayPal invoice. This is the note in my invoice from 2019:

Note from SARL APATHIA
Reservation for 1 person walking (without car or bus) in half board (diner and breakfast: 38. 00 euros per person) for the night 10th to 11st of may 2019 in room of 6 or 10 bunk beds. The instalment will be not refunded. You have to arrive before 6. 30 pm.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've stayed at Orisson three times. Each time, I've received an invoice via PayPal from SARL APATHIA, then subsequently confirmation of payment via PayPal.

There has always been a note in the PayPal invoice. This is the note in my invoice from 2019:

Note from SARL APATHIA
Reservation for 1 person walking (without car or bus) in half board (diner and breakfast: 38. 00 euros per person) for the night 10th to 11st of may 2019 in room of 6 or 10 bunk beds. The instalment will be not refunded. You have to arrive before 6. 30 pm.
556080DD-2E3E-4AF5-84D1-C1DB68F9D7A6.jpegI got this on the 19th which I’ll assume is good enough…… sorry about the panic, first timer and dint fancy getting stuck!

A post from a member last week touched on an Orisson reservation response:
We are sorry but we have had some
damage on part of our accommodation
that cannot be exploited and therefore
we cannot keep your reservation.
We refund the deposit.
The Kayola gite, located 800m before the
Orisson Refuge, is open for reservation,
subject to availability of course.
Details and booking always on the
website of the refuge in "KAYOLA".
Thank you for your understanding
Orisson Refuge
Anyone have any knowledge on this?
Concerned.
Walk to Orisson get the minibus back to St Jean and start from Orisson next day.

Unfortunately, I never got there. I couldn’t find any of my friends interested enough in driving up there this week due to gloomy, chilly weather conditions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unfortunately, I never got there. I couldn’t find any of my friends interested enough in driving up there this week due to gloomy, chilly weather conditions.
What a pity, both for you and for us. Now we will never know whether the temporary and partial annulation of bookings in April was due to structural damage caused by the worst snowfall of the season or a landslide (source: random posters on social media; there is no indication that these events actually happened) or a broken pipe or window ... Buen Camino and/or stay in any case!

Yeah - I still don't know what happened, but rumor has it the repairs were taken care of already.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back