• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson Food Question

StFina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
I have reservations to stay at the Orisson albergue at the end of May, 2017. Should I bring my lunch when I arrive or is there food and drink available for purchase? I know that dinner and breakfast are included.

Additionally, how long is the walk from SJPP to Orisson? I arrive by train from Bayonne early the morning I begin. - Thanx - Steve

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have reservations to stay at the Orisson albergue at the end of May, 2017. Should I bring my lunch when I arrive or is there food and drink available for purchase? I know that dinner and breakfast are included.

Additionally, how long is the walk from SJPP to Orisson? I arrive by train from Bayonne early the morning I begin. - Thanx - Steve
Hi , you don't have to take your lunch.

I walked it in about 2.5 hours in 2015.
You will enjoy the walk up to the albergue Orisson,great view's up there.

Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Or get the the three cheese panini at the bakery in St Jean and have a picnic on the way up. You can also stop at Huunto for food and coffee.
I am jealous of you. This was one of the most amazing days for me

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The soup that I had for lunch when arriving at Orisson was delicious. Their paté baguette that I ordered for lunch for the next day's walk was equally good.

Orisson food is good but not terribly exciting and a bit pricey. The delicious thick soup we had for lunch reappeared slightly thinned down for dinner. For variety, you've plenty of time to linger en route with a sandwich etc bought in sjpp.

Orisson sandwiches can be preordered for lunch next day and the man in the van about 8?Km further up sells snacks too - inc boiled eggs and cheese.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Not knowing how old you are or the physical conditioning you have, but the "stroll" up to Orisson was anything but a stroll. It is a long upward trek with what seemed to be never ending ascents. As for Orisson itself, it was welcome and needed rest with good company and good, not great, but good food. The showers are an experience in them self.

Buen Camino !

The walk up to Orisson is less than 10 kilometers, and practically all on improved roadway. It's uphill, but pretty mellow. If you are staying there you should be able to grab an early lunch at SJPdP and then walk on up. With breaks and all you should be there in three hours, give or take.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Agreed. But if you don't carry much weight, walk as slowly as a stroll, and don't try to talk the whole time, then it is not fearsome.

We did the opposite ...lol

Not knowing how old you are or the physical conditioning you have, but the "stroll" up to Orisson was anything but a stroll. It is a long upward trek with what seemed to be never ending ascents. As for Orisson itself, it was welcome and needed rest with good company and good, not great, but good food. The showers are an experience in them self.

Buen Camino !

This is a little off topic from food in Orisson but we are planning to do the leg from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day, starting early and figuring 7-9 hrs. Reading this thread makes me wonder....is this something we can count on? We are 65 & 73 but in good shape and training. Had not even thought about staying in Orisson...only stopping to rest & eat. Any thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
sjpp to r.JPG
This is a little off topic from food in Orisson but we are planning to do the leg from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day, starting early and figuring 7-9 hrs. Reading this thread makes me wonder....is this something we can count on? We are 65 & 73 but in good shape and training. Had not even thought about staying in Orisson...only stopping to rest & eat. Any thoughts appreciated!
It took my husband and I about 12 hours to walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles. It was a very hard and spectacularly beautiful walk. We had trained with our packs, but of course ended up lightening our load significantly after day one. We encountered snow in April and that really slowed us down. Even with the snow, I did not need the ski vest, long underwear, and new (uncomfortable) hiking boots I was carrying in my pack and ended up leaving them in Roncesvalles.

I was VERY happy we did the entire walk to Roncesvalles because we made it to Orisson around noon and would have been sitting around all day if we had decided to stay there. I was also grateful that we had packed a lunch from SJPP, but saved it and ate lunch at Orisson instead. Our packed "lunch" came in very handy later in the day at a shelter near the summit hours before we would arrive in Roncesvalles. One last word of advice, our phone battery died about halfway to Roncesvalles which was a little scary considering how late it was getting and the snow. So train on hills, pack light, leave early, carry food and H20, turn your phone off to save the battery, and enjoy. :)

In my experience you can't count on getting from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in 7-9 hours. We too struck bad weather in the form of a gale force head wind going across the Pyrenees. Even though we did stay at Orisson it took us 10 hours to get from Orisson to Roncesvalles.
I would recommend staying at Orisson. They do a good communal dinner which offers a wonderful opportunity to meet your cohort of pilgrims.

Or get the the three cheese panini at the bakery in St Jean and have a picnic on the way up. You can also stop at Huunto for food and coffee.
I am jealous of you. This was one of the most amazing days for me
Yup, I bought a mixture of savoury and sweet panini at the bakery not far from the pilgrim office and had that when I reached orission and waiting for checking at 12.30pm.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In my experience you can't count on getting from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in 7-9 hours. We too struck bad weather in the form of a gale force head wind going across the Pyrenees. Even though we did stay at Orisson it took us 10 hours to get from Orisson to Roncesvalles.
I would recommend staying at Orisson. They do a good communal dinner which offers a wonderful opportunity to meet your cohort of pilgrims.

I appreciate your information. We are going to begin mid September. Does this make any difference in weather conditions? I know there could be storms but hoping there is no snow at that point.
We will certainly take your suggestions seriously.
How long did it take you to get to Orission from SJDPP?

I walked in November and they started to advise the alternate route via Val Carlos. I was so out of gas by then that I stopped there and can highly recommend it. GREAT municipal Albergue and clean, clean clean.

View attachment 32271
It took my husband and I about 12 hours to walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles. It was a very hard and spectacularly beautiful walk. We had trained with our packs, but of course ended up lightening our load significantly after day one. We encountered snow in April and that really slowed us down. Even with the snow, I did not need the ski vest, long underwear, and new (uncomfortable) hiking boots I was carrying in my pack and ended up leaving them in Roncesvalles.

I was VERY happy we did the entire walk to Roncesvalles because we made it to Orisson around noon and would have been sitting around all day if we had decided to stay there. I was also grateful that we had packed a lunch from SJPP, but saved it and ate lunch at Orisson instead. Our packed "lunch" came in very handy later in the day at a shelter near the summit hours before we would arrive in Roncesvalles. One last word of advice, our phone battery died about halfway to Roncesvalles which was a little scary considering how late it was getting and the snow. So train on hills, pack light, leave early, carry food and H20, turn your phone off to save the battery, and enjoy. :)

Thanks for your thoughts and information. Those pictures show quite a swing in the weather! I sure am hoping there is no snow mid September! Wonderful scenery though!
We will have to give more thought as to whether we will stop in Orisson or try for the whole stage. This is a new turn in plans but I appreciate your comments and pictures.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I appreciate your information. We are going to begin mid September. Does this make any difference in weather conditions? I know there could be storms but hoping there is no snow at that point.
We will certainly take your suggestions seriously.
How long did it take you to get to Orission from SJDPP?
We walked mid September. No snow just wind so strong that it was blowing people over. Memorable adventure though.
To answer your question about time. We just ambled up to Orisson from SJPdP. Less than 8 kms. We did not start early. We took our time, enjoying the view and taking pictures. Stopped for a coffee at Hunto and we were at Orisson for lunch about 2 pm.

I set out from St Jean on August 21st last year, and the weather was perfect, but people who walked just a few days earlier had heavy fog, wind and rain.

I'll keep my eye on the weather this year, and if it doesn't look favorable I think that I'll just start in Pamplona instead.

Orisson is a bar/restaurant as well as an albergue. In fact, if you arrive at the busy lunch time, you may have to wait awhile to be booked in so enjoy a bite while you wait. The distance is about 8k but for this old man it was 8k straight up :) so I took longer than most. The dinner is great and you can order a packed lunch for the next day for a few euros as there is no where to eat between Orisson and Roncesvalles. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

There is food for lunch at Orrison. However, when we arrived in Bayonne early last April, the first train got us to SJPP by 11 or so. We had time in Bayonne to visit the cathedral (first cello!) and a museum. We got coffee and croissant at a cafe. And we were lucky that it was market day and we bought bread, cheese and fruit. After we got to SJPP, we registered at the pilgrims office and they told us about a small park where there were picnic tables. (Go down to the river, take a left before crossing the bridge walk upstream to the park.)

Orisson food is good but not terribly exciting and a bit pricey. The delicious thick soup we had for lunch reappeared slightly thinned down for dinner. For variety, you've plenty of time to linger en route with a sandwich etc bought in sjpp.

Orisson sandwiches can be preordered for lunch next day and the man in the van about 8?Km further up sells snacks too - inc boiled eggs and cheese.
'Hosanna in the Hiace' as he was known my daughters and I

We are 65 & 73 but in good shape and training. Had not even thought about staying in Orisson...only stopping to rest & eat. Any thoughts appreciated!
There are many threads regarding the time needed for this stage.
Most pilgrims do SJPP-Roncesvalles in one day. I did it in late September, with good weather, in 9 1/2 hs. I seemed to be in the average group. I was 62, and had alreay walked for seven days in the Pyrinees, so I was reasonably used to the mountain paths. I found particularly tough the last 3 kms before Orisson -had to stop frequently to catch my breadth. But it is perfectibly doable.
If there is bad weather, the alternative by Valcarlos is very advisable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not part of the above discussion about food, and maybe a stupid question, but if you get to Orrison and the following day when leaving, and the weather changes for the worse, can you get to the Vancarlos route or did you have to go back down and start again. I am sure there must be a " shortcut/longcut" over to the other route in that kind of situation. Anybody been in that situation?? Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.