• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson hostel

Alice McP

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked from Saria to Santiago May 2017. Planning to walk from SJPdP to Pamplona starting 26th April
Planning to stay in Orisson on 26th April. Had sent an email on Saturday re a reservation. No response. Just noticed today on their site the hostel there is closed permanently. Does anyone know anything about this. Alice

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My understanding is that Orisson is open only from March to October. Our experience has been that return emails from the albergue can be slow generally, but even slower out of season. That being said, we've loved our stays there, and they have been very helpful.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Planning to stay in Orisson on 26th April. Had sent an email on Saturday re a reservation. No response. Just noticed today on their site the hostel there is closed permanently. Does anyone know anything about this. Alice

Like others have said, they are just closed for the season. It takes them about 2 weeks to get back to an email. My sister in law has a reservation for later on this Spring. Good luck. I am waiting on a reply as we have changed our start date!

I recently booked for June 2019. They do take a while to respond.

I tried to contact Refuge Auberge Orisson by email, phone, facebook, and text. I got a response by text to use the email address. The email address was wrong and was returned to me. I filled out the e-form twice. It has been a couple of weeks, and I am looking for alternate plans. Is there any other place to stay the night nearby?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I tried to contact Refuge Auberge Orisson by email, phone, facebook, and text. I got a response by text to use the email address. The email address was wrong and was returned to me. I filled out the e-form twice. It has been a couple of weeks, and I am looking for alternate plans. Is there any other place to stay the night nearby?
The correct email for Orisson is refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr . I have stayed there. They are slow to reply in off season. There is no other place to stay near the top of the climb. Good luck.

We stayed at the Orisson Hostel on 3 October and they were closing for winter the following day. We had tried to contact them a few days prior to book. But for no response. We were told by other pilgrims that they only take bookings maximum 48 hours ahead. We rang accordingly and were told that they were only going to confirm 24 hours prior. We felt quite lucky that we managed to get the bunks in the end. They are always in high demand though they have many more beds than they actually advertise. Really really worth spending a night there. Most stunning sunset and sunrise! Do persist.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sometimes words, and their meanings, become lost in translation. In this instance, we may safely conclude "permanently closed" means permanently closed for the season. In our collective anticipation, anxiety, and excitement about starting the Camino journey, we want to eliminate as much uncertainty as possible—especially for that first night underway. Given Orissson's place near the beginning of the St. Frances, we want to be confident those lodgings are confirmed if our plan is not to hike all the way to Roncesvalles. So, please be patient, Alice. You will hear from the good folks at Orisson in due course.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It’s mentioned a lot of times that ‘they are slow to respond’. Yes, because they don’t have the internet in the refuge, someone else in the valley deals with the emails. There is very little signal up there.
Of course, when they are closed for the season, they’re probably on holiday somewhere! :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just cannot wait till I once again request a bed at Orisson as that will mean I am finally able and ready to start my third Camino Francis from SJPDP!!! Looking forward to that.......and even the two week wait to hear back!!!!
As Trecile mentioned above, it is the Camino francés ie the French camino because it is the road from France. :) Nothing to do with Saint Francis of Assisi.

Hi @C clearly, Google have the refuge as "permanently closed" on a standard Google search. Tripe Advertiser has a string of lousy reviews and complains that Orisson don't provide prices. Its good to see the internet working at its best ;)

Hola Tinca - "tripe" advertiser - I love it!!

There was blizzard in Pays Basque this past week. Hang in there for a response and make sure you have the right email address, spelled correctly, and then make sure to look at your spam account for a response about using paypal for your reservation.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
we have booked and paid deposit for April 29th. took a couple weeks to reply. when they send you paypal invoice ur comes from
Sarl apthia :)

There was blizzard in Pays Basque this past week. Hang in there for a response and make sure you have the right email address, spelled correctly, and then make sure to look at your spam account for a response about using paypal for your reservation.
Real Good advice.!!

I also found that if I requested the reservation in French or Spanish I would get a quicker responsive.....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As Trecile mentioned above, it is the Camino francés ie the French camino because it is the road from France. :) Nothing to do with Saint Francis of Assisi.

Oh, I did not know that. Thank you for the education!!!

I do not believe they are permanently closed Year-round. Just recently rec’d Confirmation from them for a reservation at the end of May. They are very accommodating during their open season. Used them in early June in 2014. As others have posted, they are closed during winter season. Because of that, they might be slow in getting to their e-mail responses.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They are closed in winter mainly because the pass is closed from 1 Nov to April 1, so there is little point to being open with no pilgrims to stay. In fact they maybe required to close, as being open in winter would only encourage foolhardy pilgrims to cross the path in dangerous conditions.

I saw that when I searched on Google
Thank you for spotting the reason for this. It was apparently a Goggle error. It has now been corrected, the erroneous "Permanently closed" message is gone. I see that Refuge Orisson have refurbished their website - looks like they have not yet finished the job - perhaps that is what caused the misleading info.

Last edited:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @C clearly, Google have the refuge as "permanently closed" on a standard Google search. Tripe Advertiser has a string of lousy reviews and complains that Orisson don't provide prices. Its good to see the internet working at its best ;)
It is not often that I find something to be negative about with the Camino. But the first walk 2017 I just had lunch there and pushed on. Then 2018 a group of us stayed there. The day was raining and cold (April). The fire was not lit and when I wore one of the blankets around me down to the cafe because I was so cold they ordered me to take it back to the dorm. I replied to this by saying well light the bloody fire. It still did not get lit and it never was. I was so cold that I got the cold from hell that lasted about two weeks.
However it would be a shame to see it close as a cafe as it is an important rest stop.
That day was the only time I got grumpy on the Camino in two walks and I am going back this April with my Daughter.
I think we will walk the valley.

Hi Alice,
We have a booking at Orisson for 26th April. I tried a few times to book last year via their website send a message system but got no replies that way. I ended up sending an email which they did answer and included a request for a deposit via paypal. As others have said, I am sure they are just closed for the season. Hope to see you at Orisson on the 26th.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Alice,
We have a booking at Orisson for 26th April. I tried a few times to book last year via their website send a message system but got no replies that way. I ended up sending an email which they did answer and included a request for a deposit via paypal. As others have said, I am sure they are just closed for the season. Hope to see you at Orisson on the 26th.

Hello Alice
We are booked in there for end May and have already received our invoice and psd thru PayPal. Keep trying 👍

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back