• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson question

peregrina2000

Staff member
I know there are tons of threads about Orisson, but I have a very specific question. The search function hasn’t given me the info I need.

I remember staying in Orisson in a room that was across the road from the main building, under the deck where people sit outside. I believe it had only three beds, but maybe there were two bunks and one bunk just didn’t fill up. I have three friends who are walking the Francés this year and they strongly prefer to stay in their covid bubble for sleeping arrangements. So here are my questions

— Can anyone confirm that there is a 3-bed room?
— Does anyone know if the owners will take reservations for that specific room, as opposed to just reserving beds?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Back in August 2016 there were more than 3 beds as we had 'new' friends using it. They filled the 3 bunk rooms based upon arrivals from St Jean and that under the deck was last arrivals. I don't see them reserving with the demand they have. However, things can change in 6 years! Might use the Honto facility - separate rooms.

I know there are tons of threads about Orisson, but I have a very specific question. The search function hasn’t given me the info I need.

I remember staying in Orisson in a room that was across the road from the main building, under the deck where people sit outside. I believe it had only three beds, but maybe there were two bunks and one bunk just didn’t fill up. I have three friends who are walking the Francés this year and they strongly prefer to stay in their covid bubble for sleeping arrangements. So here are my questions

— Does anyone know if the owners will take reservations for that specific room, as opposed to just reserving beds?
Laurie, BORDA has a private room where 2 can share a matrimonial. Perhaps they'd put in cots?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In 2018 I stayed in that room and it was two twins and a double bed. I have never heard of Orisson taking specific reservations. You can always ask, but as someone mentioned the new Borda is getting very good reviews.

In 2018 I stayed in that room and it was two twins and a double bed. I have never heard of Orisson taking specific reservations. You can always ask, but as someone mentioned the new Borda is getting very good reviews.
I agree. And if they can't get a reservation at Borda they can always spend two nights in SJPDP and use Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle.

la-navette-du-matin(3).png

If your friends strongly prefer to stay in their bubble throughout the Camino they’ll be looking at private albergue and small hotels, that’s going to need a bit more organising with reservations etc..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried to get that room in 2019 for 2020 and they said there was no such room. I knew there was but didn’t describe it good enough I guess. This time I booked the one private room at Borda.

Last edited:
My first time at Orisson I arrived with another peregrina who was older than me, and looked a bit frail. I don't think that the regular dorm rooms were full, but they put us in this little two single bed room. It was near the dorm rooms, and had a non-descript door.

20160821_152516.jpg

I remember staying in Orisson in a room that was across the road from the main building, under the deck where people sit outside. I believe it had only three beds arrangements.
Maybe 3 years ago I emailed for bunks for 4 - Myself, my niece and her two teenage sons.
Jean-Jacque? - He personally confirmed the booking.
We arrived to find that this time we were in a room under the deck.
It had a double and two singles. He obviously figured us to be a married couple with two sons.
Being a rtd hotelkeeper I also know the number/type of beds are often rearranged, on a daily basis, to suit guest requirements, and to generate the maximum revenue from the available rooms.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My first time at Orisson I arrived with another peregrina who was older than me, and looked a bit frail. I don't think that the regular dorm rooms were full, but they put us in this little two single bed room. It was near the dorm rooms, and had a non-descript door.

View attachment 118486
Our first time at Orisson we were put in this room as well -- didn't ask for anything special but it was very special. The second time we were at Orisson we (2) were put in the one across the street along with two others. We had the double bed and the two women each had a single. Lucked out again.

I’d go for Borda, no question.
I had that room in 2017 and I reckon me and my two companions got about one hour’s sleep. Of all our accommodation on the Frances, this was by far the most “challenging” and an interesting start to our first Camino, to put it kindly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What is “Borda”? I’ve booked the Refuge @ Orisson….can / should I request this Borda option to minimize my snoring exposure?
Auberge Borda is a hostel just beyond Orrison I stayed here in September and it was fantastic a relatively new hostel hosted by Laurent great meal with fab accommodation it can be reserved via booking.com

Auberge Borda is a hostel just beyond Orrison I stayed here in September and it was fantastic a relatively new hostel hosted by Laurent great meal with fab accommodation it can be reserved via booking.com
So glad they are on Booking .com now! Note, he only has one private room. Looks like he’s booking up fast.

I stayed here last year with my group - Laurent is great! He is so amenable to requests and answers messages very quickly... we're staying again in April.

It is smaller than Orisson; there is one large room that has been sectioned off into 2 halves and in each half there are 4 singles beds with a privacy curtain. There is plenty of room and the showers are excellent. One of our group had the double room and it was generous in size so it's possible that he could fit an extra bed... He is on Facebook (Auberge Borda) and he is very quick to reply... it might be a good option for your friends.

The bonus was that we could spend a long and leisurely lunch at Orisson before moving on for the last kilometre of the day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed here last year with my group - Laurent is great! He is so amenable to requests and answers messages very quickly... we're staying again in April.
Just curious 🙂, does Laurent speak English? I have been corresponding with him in French. We are also staying there in April 😃.

Back in August 2016 there were more than 3 beds as we had 'new' friends using it. They filled the 3 bunk rooms based upon arrivals from St Jean and that under the deck was last arrivals. I don't see them reserving with the demand they have. However, things can change in 6 years! Might use the Honto facility - separate rooms.
We used Huntto which had a room for 3 pilgrims and a lovely dinner to boot

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back