• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson Response/Saint Jean Question

StFina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
Friends:

First, I have sent two e-mails to the albergue in Orisson asking whether they have a bed for one night in May. I haven't seen any response in more than a week. Is there any magic into securing a reservation? Also, do you pay in advance or at the time you arrive? I am concerned that I may pay in advance, and the Route could be closed on account of bad weather.

Second, I am scheduled to stay in a small hotel my first night in St. Jean in order to get a good nights sleep. Is this preferable to an albergue for the first night? Or should I just get in the groove and stay at an albergue and save my money?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Steve

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why Orisson doesn't have an automated email response saying the aure closed for the season and only check email sporadically is beyond me. So many people post with the same worry, that Orisson does not respond and they are afraid they will not get a bed.

So, to the OP, this is normal, at least for Orisson, just hang in there and get back to them after April first, the earliest the Napoleon route may be open.

Oh, and in May, unless there is a major freak storm, the route will be open.

As for the night in SJPP, get in the grove. After all, you are only planning to walk to Orisson the next day. You can always nap once you get there.

As you know, Orisson is now shut for the winter. They should answer, but it took mine about 2.5 weeks last year. It was a 50% deposit through Paypal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Friends:

First, I have sent two e-mails to the albergue in Orisson asking whether they have a bed for one night in May. I haven't seen any response in more than a week. Is there any magic into securing a reservation? Also, do you pay in advance or at the time you arrive? I am concerned that I may pay in advance, and the Route could be closed on account of bad weather.

Second, I am scheduled to stay in a small hotel my first night in St. Jean in order to get a good nights sleep. Is this preferable to an albergue for the first night? Or should I just get in the groove and stay at an albergue and save my money?

Steve
What email address did you use?
This is the address I emailed to refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr
I emailed a couple of weeks ago and heard back in 4 days.
They will approve your request, then send a request for payment through PayPal.
If you are traveling alone they will ask for the entire amount in advance. As I made a reservation for two people this year they asked for payment equal to one person in advance with the balance payable when we arrive.

Friends:

Steve
Hi Steve..
saw your post and I've had the same problem. I rang them on Sunday, got an automated voice and they are closed till April! I guess the only way is to email in early April or call them until you get someone there> There is no mention of when in April they are open.
best wishes
Sean Tresilian

Hi Steve..
saw your post and I've had the same problem. I rang them on Sunday, got an automated voice and they are closed till April! I guess the only way is to email in early April or call them until you get someone there> There is no mention of when in April they are open.
best wishes
Sean Tresilian
I emailed them on January 16th, and heard back from them on January 20th. Make sure that you email them at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

Last year I emailed them on March 19th and they responded on March 20th.
I put "Reservation request" as the subject of my email.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Highly doubtful the Napoleon Route will be closed in June. You should have no problems there.
As far as a hotel or albergue? Up to you and your budget. You will definitely get a better night's sleep in a hotel, but since you are only going as far as Orisson the first day, you could actually somewhat sleep in a bit at the albergue, take your time, get a good breakfast (heck, even an early lunch) and stroll on out late morning. It's only a few kilometers away.

Hola All - the email address Trecile has provided is the one I used and is basically the only one they answer. As this albergue is in France a request for accommodation in French is a good idea. (Google Crome will translate). Payment in advance via Pay Pal or Credit Card is the norm. However you will need to arrive before 6.30 PM (18.30) when the evening meal is served. Even if you have pre-paid they do not guarantee to hold your bed if you have not arrived by this time. Hope this helps. Cheers

Hola All - the email address Trecile has provided is the one I used and is basically the only one they answer. As this albergue is in France a request for accommodation in French is a good idea. (Google Crome will translate). Payment in advance via Pay Pal or Credit Card is the norm. However you will need to arrive before 6.30 PM (18.30) when the evening meal is served. Even if you have pre-paid they do not guarantee to hold your bed if you have not arrived by this time. Hope this helps. Cheers
I has no problem making my request in English.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I has no problem making my request in English.
Hi Trecile - I received my reply in English - I just thought it would be nice to make my request in both languages. In the spirit of the Camino. Cheers

Friends:

Steve
Hi Steve,
I had to wait about a week or so with a reply from Orisson. I booked successfully for the 19th of April so you should be able to do a booking.
In StJdP I am not staying in the Albergue as I reckon its important to get a decent restful nights sleep the first night as its a trek and a half the next day and I need all the rest I can as I could still be a bit jet lagged. Im staying at a BnB.
Good luck! Rachel

Fwiw, I sent an email on 1/23 and received a reply on 1/26 (3 days later). No idea if it made any difference but my email was written in both English and French.

AlexanderAZ

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why Orisson doesn't have an automated email response saying the aure closed for the season and only check email sporadically is beyond me. So many people post with the same worry, that Orisson does not respond and they are afraid they will not get a bed.

So, to the OP, this is normal, at least for Orisson, just hang in there and get back to them after April first, the earliest the Napoleon route may be open.

Oh, and in May, unless there is a major freak storm, the route will be open.

As for the night in SJPP, get in the grove. After all, you are only planning to walk to Orisson the next day. You can always nap once you get there.
I stayed at Orisson last year, it took a little time for them to respond, they will. And it's worth staying there

Yeah Orisson took about 3 weeks to respond,but worthwhile, i think my Camino really started there. I found SJPP wet and empty and didn't really chat to any body as all were asleep when i arrived after a delayed flight into Biarritz, my arrival at Orrisson changed my first impressions, the atmosphere, the communal meal gathering advice, hopes, reasons for doing it were helpful and inspirational.

Hi Steve,
I had to wait about a week or so with a reply from Orisson. I booked successfully for the 19th of April so you should be able to do a booking.
In StJdP I am not staying in the Albergue as I reckon its important to get a decent restful nights sleep the first night as its a trek and a half the next day and I need all the rest I can as I could still be a bit jet lagged. Im staying at a BnB.
Good luck! Rachel
I also start walking from St Jean on 19 April 2017, going through to Santiago. See you on the Way, Buen Camino Rachel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just booked Orrison for night of May 7th. Took 2 days to get reply and the PayPal came through the next day.

Friends:

Steve
Try using Google translate and send your email in French. That was the only way I got a response

Orisson often don't check emails during Winter, although they may. If you haven't heard back, make sure you definitely do it from April 1st. They ask you to PayPal money as soon as they've contacted you.
I stayed at Beilari Private Alburgue in SJPdP. Small rooms. Great community evening meal, and atmosphere meeting other Pilgrims that you'll remeet along the way. It's opposite the Pilgrim's Office. I booked it online, easy. Google.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Orisson often don't check emails during Winter, although they may. If you haven't heard back, make sure you definitely do it from April 1st. They ask you to PayPal money as soon as they've contacted you.
I stayed at Beilari Private Alburgue in SJPdP. Small rooms. Great community evening meal, and atmosphere meeting other Pilgrims that you'll remeet along the way. It's opposite the Pilgrim's Office. I booked it online, easy. Google.
If you read the responses on this thread you'd know that several of us have been able to make reservations with Orisson recently via email (not their website).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you read the responses on this thread you'd know that several of us have been able to make reservations with Orisson recently via email (not their website).
Yes, and that's excellent. Thanks, I did read the thread. I was simply telling you what usually has occurred in past Winters. That's why I worded it the way that I did. And I also know from experience that even when it's not Winter, but the during peak times, they can take up to 8 weeks to reply to an email and in one case, a phone call in Spanish (staff speak Basque, Spanish, English and French) They are busy people, with poor reception. Thanks

I received my booking confirmation today, Sunday after emailing last Saturday .
I did translate the request into French , the reply was in English .
I am very relieved to have a firm booking , it feels as if my Camino is finally starting .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really liked the bonding family tradition that Joxelu and Jakline at Beilari do as a sendoff so I recommend that experience as a great place to stay in St Jean. I would have felt isolated to have stayed in a hotel before my first big day. Being with other new pilgrims was special and sharing dinner with them helped me understand what the "pilgrim family" concept is all about.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Hi. I had no response to an email in English in November or in early January. Two weeks ago I sent another request in French using the online translator and received a response in French. They then sent anot invoice for the total amount to pay through Paypal. All set and I'm not going until September. I would try again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back