• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson

Status
Not open for further replies.

susan1971

Time of past OR future Camino
How do you get in touch with Orrison? I have been trying to make a reservation for some time for early May. No one has responded.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How do you get in touch with Orrison? I have been trying to make a reservation for some time for early May. No one has responded.

There will be there most days over the winter period, doing maintenance. .I very much doubt your get a response till they open next year, I asked to use the toilet early January as I walked past. said no. (camino no 17)
you can also book and stay at Hunto few km before hand . I stayed there March again this year (camino addict. no 18)huge hangover, this very lovely elderly lady comes out,watching me then beckon me in at 10:00 am. stayed out till 5 am night before (Hunto open all year I think )not just for pilgrims.....slept in the building opposite,across the road just me there.
went for dinner that evening in her home which also has rooms for touring tourists(people not on camino) meet a couple staying in the rooms there, we had Dinner with the lady owner....proper cooked home food....homemade soup and plenty of it....chicken(proper free range not from a supermarket.cooked with care ) lovely tasting veg.some cold cut meats to taste as well, she kept feeding me . lovely pudding,home made food. quality..decent wine served after...she was explaining to the French couple how pilgrims pass by early in the summer and wake her up "click clack click clack" with there walking poles..nice place to stay if you want to have a taste of real french women's cooking, I felt I was in my late grandmothers home....

I don't have next of kin (blood kin) so its was a nice surprise to take breakfast just the two of us,she was wearing her night gown and slippers, the tea and breakfast was lovey and unhurried..after I paid and was putting my boots back on outside, she came out with a packed lunch..stuffed it in my pack. walked past there many times before..more really I would say for the unhurried pilgrim who wants to feel at home....where as Orrison is more of another type of adventure start with bonding with your fellow pilgrims...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When does Orrison open? We are hoping to be there March 19th 2016.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've sent three emails and have heard nothing. I, too, would like to book for the beginning of May. Their website says they open in March but does not indicate that they will not be responding to emails before then. I was hoping to cross this off my To Do list but I guess it will have to wait until then.

Last edited:
it does not say when in MARCH
I stayed at Hunto as mention in this thread in MARCH this year on the 21/03/2015 just checked my credencial and Orisson was closed for business,no snow up to Orssion either. some snow further ahead in places
There were contractors there at the time when I passed in the morning..maybe they mean end of March...same contractors when I went past in early January (closed as expected to pilgrims).

it is very normal to hear that Orisson does not answer straight away....Hunto, same price for lovely food and bed & breakfast.if you need to tick of the to do list....no harm in sending emails to both..

To be honest I have never seen it open in MARCH..
you can get a good dump of snow just pass there sometimes in MARCH
Hunto caters for the travelers enjoying rural places in winter months so is open

EARLY MARCH 2013 Orrison was shut just checked photos...(snow past Orrison)

I remember asking in the Pilgrims office that year that month and the reply was Orrison decide when exactly to open ...makes sense if the route is snow bound up there...or it can be not far past there..as it was then..

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I sent an email back in September about reservations for next May and received a reply that I should wait until after November 15 to reserve at Orrison for May 2016. Possibly they are on a bit of a holiday after a busy season? I think they will reply if you wait a bit.

I hope people are using the right email address. I just added to the title of the thread to reflect the correct spelling.

I hope people are using the right email address. I just added to the title of the thread to reflect the correct spelling.
We've sent three emails over the past month with no reply. The first used the form on the refuge's website, the second used the email address refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr, while the third we asked a friend to translate into French and also sent to refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr. At this point we are not sure what else to do other than wait. Given the recent events in Paris, we thought it best to just wait for a while and see what happens. This might be one of our Camino lessons. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's been announced that the Napoleon route will be closed from 1 November to 31 March, so presumably that means Orrison won't now open until April? .../

I think the same, it wouldn't make much sense for them to open when the route that passes before the house is still closed.

To the OP: As for emails not answered, the solution is patience. Your email is 'in queue' and it is still ~half a year until you want to go ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I also found getting in contact difficult, and at that time there were no ongoing terrorist attacks in France. I know it's nerve wracking when you hear it's a nice place to stop, etc. but the owner did EVENTUALLY answer my email (probably along with dozens if not hundreds of other people's emails). Maybe try again after the holidays, and also look into alternatives (i.e. if you know you can't make it to Roncesvalles in one day, think about checking into accommodations on the Valcarlos route. I ran into two pilgrims in Pamplona who had left SJPdP during the same storm I had, and took the low route, staying in a very nice albergue midway to Roncesvalles.

I think they are often a bit relaxed in the off season (I know that I would be). Last year I did not get a reply until mid January.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it may also be self-protective for them. If I ran a small b&b (essentially) I'd wait until close enough to actual dates just to make sure people were still planning on arriving when they said they would 6-7 months prior. Considering the number of say, patients who no-show a medical appointment they made just a week or two before, I'll bet they've been burned by too early reservations. Even ticket master waits until close to concert date to sell ... :)

I think it may also be self-protective for them. If I ran a small b&b (essentially) I'd wait until close enough to actual dates just to make sure people were still planning on arriving when they said they would 6-7 months prior. Considering the number of say, patients who no-show a medical appointment they made just a week or two before, I'll bet they've been burned by too early reservations. Even ticket master waits until close to concert date to sell ... :)

exactly what happens at Orisson... business is business.....I stayed there once only(stopped and they suggested I could sleep in a double bed with another man(loud snoring man)which is across the road under the terrace part...two rooms, the other with bunks.....I said to the lady your having a laugh(in my London accent)I would rather sleep in a Zoo :rolleyes:

only stopped there being delayed helping a Koren lady up to Orisson..they had a bunk for me in the end, a no show who paid....I still had to pay cheeky

It wasn't in April 2012 was it :)? After (finally!!) confirming my bed, the day I left SJPdP began with heavy snow. I tried to reach them to cancel for two days prior w/o luck (since I knew I was crossing on the high route come heck or high water, even if I had to push up my plans), started out of SJPDP a day early (donating my bed fee to the very nice albergue, 'though they insisted they would pay it forward by giving a free bed to those in need)....stopped at Orison to get coffee and make sure they knew I understood I'd be charged, but would not be staying so please let someone else (arriving in a snow storm) have the bed. My French is limited to please, thank you, and two coffees with cream but I think they understood in the bar...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
no I went passed end of April that year.......it was 2014 not sure when.. the lady speaks English

Find them on the web and write to them. I think they are closed for the winter and only opens end January. Not sure though. They will reply as soon as their new season starts.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Do you have an email for the place at Hunto? It sounds lovely.

There will be there most days over the winter period, doing maintenance. .I very much doubt your get a response till they open next year, I asked to use the toilet early January as I walked past. said no. (camino no 17)
you can also book and stay at Hunto few km before hand . I stayed there March again this year (camino addict. no 18)huge hangover, this very lovely elderly lady comes out,watching me then beckon me in at 10:00 am. stayed out till 5 am night before (Hunto open all year I think )not just for pilgrims.....slept in the building opposite,across the road just me there.
went for dinner that evening in her home which also has rooms for touring tourists(people not on camino) meet a couple staying in the rooms there, we had Dinner with the lady owner....proper cooked home food....homemade soup and plenty of it....chicken(proper free range not from a supermarket.cooked with care ) lovely tasting veg.some cold cut meats to taste as well, she kept feeding me . lovely pudding,home made food. quality..decent wine served after...she was explaining to the French couple how pilgrims pass by early in the summer and wake her up "click clack click clack" with there walking poles..nice place to stay if you want to have a taste of real french women's cooking, I felt I was in my late grandmothers home....

I don't have next of kin (blood kin) so its was a nice surprise to take breakfast just the two of us,she was wearing her night gown and slippers, the tea and breakfast was lovey and unhurried..after I paid and was putting my boots back on outside, she came out with a packed lunch..stuffed it in my pack. walked past there many times before..more really I would say for the unhurried pilgrim who wants to feel at home....where as Orrison is more of another type of adventure start with bonding with your fellow pilgrims...

And Madam Ourthiague, if she is still there, is a great cook, btw. Really good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you have an email for the place at Hunto? It sounds lovely.

Kanga
beat me to it E-mail: jeanne.ourtiague@orange.fr phone(Franch) 05 59 37 11 17 or 06 80 53 00 46 http://www.gites64.com/ferme-i

she is a very dignified lovely lady who is a wonderful cook.. Host Dinner, very settling for nervous pilgrims who have never left home before..

when your walking up the road its on the left hand side. inside to the rear are rooms,, however I stayed across the road in a modern looking place.

prices from 1st Feb 2016 to 31/Dec/2016 are. 16 Euros per night / main meal 18 Euros / breakfast 6 Euros......I paid 35 Euros all in. then again she liked me..
using the website below your see a photo of the building on your right as you approach not her home with rooms which is homely and idyllic...The place I stayed in is for groups normally with wood burner and full kitchen/dishwasher /TV...it was just me in there..
www.gites64.com/Gite-groupe-Saint-michel-Ourtiagu...

June 2016 17th/18th looks booked up to me

hunto 2.jpg main house this view .would be as you walk past ,this is the main home.
huntp a.jpg this is the dwelling which will be on your right hand side opposite and higher up

Last edited:
Find them on the web and write to them. I think they are closed for the winter and only opens end January. Not sure though. They will reply as soon as their new season starts.
While they are closed for the season, they will reply to email requests for reservations, though the process can be slow. We sent them emails back in late October and early November and just received a response last week, confirming our request. Today we received a PayPal payment request for a downpayment on the reservation for two. We now appear to be set! :D:D:D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kanga
beat me to it E-mail: jeanne.ourtiague@orange.fr phone(Franch) 05 59 37 11 17 or 06 80 53 00 46 http://www.gites64.com/ferme-i

she is a very dignified lovely lady who is a wonderful cook.. Host Dinner, very settling for nervous pilgrims who have never left home before..

when your walking up the road its on the left hand side. inside to the rear are rooms,, however I stayed across the road in a modern looking place.

prices from 1st Feb 2016 to 31/Dec/2016 are. 16 Euros per night / main meal 18 Euros / breakfast 6 Euros......I paid 35 Euros all in. then again she liked me..
using the website below your see a photo of the building on your right as you approach not her home with rooms which is homely and idyllic...The place I stayed in is for groups normally with wood burner and full kitchen/dishwasher /TV...it was just me in there..
www.gites64.com/Gite-groupe-Saint-michel-Ourtiagu...

Hi, I am corresponding with Jeanne Ourtiague and she is asking for a deposit in Euros. I am in the US. I don't know if she has PayPal, or the best way to send her a deposit. Suggestions?
Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

They are closed until april 1st….They might respond before that, when they have time….check the spam folder…sometimes email from them end up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back