• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson

Gilmore Girl

Time of past OR future Camino
I was wondering if anyone is walking from Orisson or through on 26th April. Would like to find someone to walk with to Roncesvalles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was wondering if anyone is walking from Orisson or through on 26th April. Would like to find someone to walk with to Roncesvalles.
If you're spending the night at Orisson you'll find have 30 or so others to walk with. No need to pre-arrange a walking partner. :)

Hi,I would say that there are more than enough pilgrims who will walk with you.
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi ,A friend and I are staying at Orisson on the 26th April and walking to Roncevalles on the 27th ,a day behind you.I am sure there will be a load of people on the trail with you . We may catch you down the path at a later date.
Good luck and Buen Camino , Aussie Bruce

Generally speaking, once at Orisson, you will meet others and form your "Camino Family." They will walk with you, on and off, for the next month or so, until you reach Santiago de Compostela.

To me, this is part of the essence of the Camino. You can still have your solitude and private time / space. However, seeing familiar faces and making friends along the way is key to your Camino experience.

Establishing a "family" of friendly pilgrims is also beyond value if you get into any medical or other personal difficulties along the way. Everyone helps everyone else. In general, the Golden Rule prevails...

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I booked a place at Orisson for my first night. Didn't see any reason to hike 29km on my first day! The whole point of the Camino for me is "the journey is the destination" and I have enough time to take my time. Waking up in the Pyrenees seems like a dream come true! I will be staying there on May, 19th. Let me know if you'll be there, too!

They take reservations online...$41, including dinner and breakfast! http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

Buen Camino

Orisson is a lovely place to stop and the large communal dinner is a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

Thanks to all. That is very reassuring as I am a bit worried about getting lost after Orisson. The Confraternity guide says that the route isn't well waymarked on that part of the Camino. Cheers and buen camino.
If the weather is fine there will be a Conga line of other pilgrims. If there is not, check the weather with your host, and if it is threatening he will instead arrange a lift to Valcarlos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Gilmore Girl!
I will be spending the night in Orisson with two friends on April 26 and we will look for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes! You will meet some of your Camino family there! Orrison does a wonderful job at introductions at dinner, at least when we were there. There were some we bonded with that we had no idea they were at Orrison until we looked at the pictures from that night! Meant to be, I say.

I have a reservation ar Orrison 15April. So if the weather is good I'll be there. If not I'll be in Valcarlos (like last year, which was a wonderful walk).

Hi ,A friend and I are staying at Orisson on the 26th April and walking to Roncevalles on the 27th ,a day behind you.I am sure there will be a load of people on the trail with you . We may catch you down the path at a later date.
Good luck and Buen Camino , Aussie Bruce
Hi Bruce, I am also planning to stay at O the same night as you and depart toward R the morning of the 27th. I have exchanged messages with two others who had confirmed reservations for the same night (26th). One is FRL who mentions that in her message above. Also, earlier Sue from South Africa. In addition, you may want to look at Grace's (Colorado) entry in the calendar for that date.

Look forward to seeing you at the communal dinner at O.

Best of Luck and Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks to all. That is very reassuring as I am a bit worried about getting lost after Orisson. The Confraternity guide says that the route isn't well waymarked on that part of the Camino. Cheers and buen camino.
That's nonsense. The route is very well marked. Don't worry about it.

No need to worry about getting lost after leaving Orisson. The way is well marked. Consider going to Google Maps. Using the street level view, you can get a prelude to what you will see as you hike along the road toward Roncesvalles. I don't remember seeing any commercial signs along that road last year, so when you come to where the Camino leaves the paved road, the sign stands out very obvious. Go forth with confidence.

Thank! I was looking for this map. I received just a photocopy at the pilgrim's bureau.
Notice as the descent by the wood, in Lepoeder, is marked with a big "X", and a "danger" sign. The alternative by Ibañeta is recommended.
In the Valcarlos route, appears the image of the crossing at Arnéguy, where many pilgrims have doubts about the right way. You can also see this point here, in Google Maps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am a bit worried about getting lost after Orisson. The Confraternity guide says that the route isn't well waymarked on that part of the Camino.
I've just come across this afternoon two videos by the same person that show the traverse of the Route Napoleon from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles. These are the best ones I've seen yet for giving you a good idea of this stretch of the camino (but, full disclosure, I did the Valcarlos route only.)

Day 1 is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z27JJF-lS0M
The URL for day 2 is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7EeP5x6wU

Or view them below:

I've just come across this afternoon two videos by the same person that show the traverse of the Route Napoleon from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles. These are the best ones I've seen yet for giving you a good idea of this stretch of the camino (but, full disclosure, I did the Valcarlos route only.)

Day 1 is at
The URL for day 2 is

Or view them below:
The visual is good, but boy does he go on and on, giving all sorts of incorrect information. Just imagine the school kids writing reports on the Camino based on this ;0)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Bruce, I am also planning to stay at O the same night as you and depart toward R the morning of the 27th. I have exchanged messages with two others who had confirmed reservations for the same night (26th). One is FRL who mentions that in her message above. Also, earlier Sue from South Africa. In addition, you may want to look at Grace's (Colorado) entry in the calendar for that date.

Look forward to seeing you at the communal dinner at O.

Best of Luck and Buen Camino
Hi CT, Apologies for this late reply ,as I don't get a lot of spare time to get on this fabulous forum. I was not even aware that there was a calendar ! I am walking with a friend of mine John Mc , We will look forward to meeting you at O on the 26th , Oh that's providing all our travel plans work out as planned for us (its a long way from Australia) .Really looking forward to doing the Camino >It has been on my Agenda for 4 years .

All the best, Look forward to meeting you. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back